PDA

View Full Version : Extra rules for this forum - Please read.

DarkWarrior
11-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Alright, well, this forum is meant for general discussion, that is, all serious discussion people may have. And such a forum would probably open up to debate topics. And debates generally lead to someone flaming another. While the regular forum rules also apply here, I think a special topic dedicated to debates is appropriate. I have no qualms with debates. I have qualms with what they turn into. So, I'll post a few little notices here as to what a debate is and how to participate in them without turning them into a flame war.

1) First and foremost, everyone has an opinion. Your opinion is no better than anyone else's. Don't act as if it is. Be respectful of the opinions of others. That doesn't mean agreeing with them, but it does mean not to insult them for their opinions.
2) Second, flaming is a personal attack of another user. Don't do it.
3) Third, opinions are naturally going to have holes poked into them by others. That doesn't mean that that's flaming. Likewise, disagreeing with another person is not flaming.
4) Fourth, we all know that using a past personal experience is common with debates. But likewise, so is criticizing those events. This criticism isn't necessarily a flame. Remember, a flame is a personal attack, and generally insulting another user. Not criticism.
5) Fifth, if it is believed that a post is a flame, do not post in the topic saying "You flamed him/her/me/my dog!" Instead, a PM with a direct link to the offending post, and not just the topic it was in, should be sent to a moderator for review. If it really is a flame, it will be dealt with.

Please follow these guidelines when participating in debates. Failure to do so can result in a suspension/ban at a moderator's discretion, length varying on a case-by-case basis.

ZakFrost
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Interesting how internet debates are the most common type to turn into: "YUOR MOM BETES UP R#45TARDZ NON 2 AZ YOURE DAD!!!11!!11WON" even though while you are on the internet you have access to virtually limitless information.

HeavyDDR
11-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Why can't these rules just go throughout the entire forum?

Because everything you just said is what gave me my bad rep.

screwedyules
11-22-2007, 08:13 PM
the truly intelligent people tend to judge for themselves about people's reputation. (but im an optimist)

Chocomage
05-19-2008, 02:06 AM
I see these rules as fair and agree that they should be issued through out the entire forum, past experiences are something for oneself and others to learn from, not something to be shot down and mocked at.

araharu
05-22-2008, 08:22 PM
To add to these rules:
6. "I" statements. Take responsibility for your own actions and beliefs, don't force that upon others. "I think..." "I believe..." and "I feel..." are much better than "Everyone knows that..." "...when you are [insert action or feeling here].." or ""They feel..."

Henriksson
06-04-2008, 01:14 PM
<i>Post censored by DarkWarrior.</i>

Grantsnake
07-26-2008, 05:43 PM
the big thing to remeber if somone dos flame (well that ive found) it that it usaul mean theve run out of point and/ or youve won the agrument/ debate

JesusRocks
07-26-2008, 08:02 PM
More often than not, that's exactly what happens... or they just didn't want to contribute anything constructive...

Artien
03-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Insults are the last resort of a defeated mind, people. Don't let it come to that.

maisetofan
03-24-2009, 03:12 AM
Must hitler be mentioned in posts? its offensive how he just keeps popping up as people compare other famous ppl to him or just use his name in general, im not gonna deliberatly go to the mature section or anything but i just dont think Racism should be tolerated, example "saying some isnt good because they are "Black"
there are all different cultures and beliefs here ppl
can we just act like decent human beings? sorry to rant

supergub
01-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Must hitler be mentioned in posts? its offensive how he just keeps popping up as people compare other famous ppl to him or just use his name in general, im not gonna deliberatly go to the mature section or anything but i just dont think Racism should be tolerated, example "saying some isnt good because they are "Black"
there are all different cultures and beliefs here ppl
can we just act like decent human beings? sorry to rant

That's called Godwin's Law. Basically, as a discussion/debate/argument goes on, the chance of Hitler or Nazis coming up approaches 100%. Whoever brings up Hitler/Nazis first automatically loses the discussion/debate/argument.

TitanAura
04-16-2010, 12:12 AM
That's called Godwin's Law. Basically, as a discussion/debate/argument goes on, the chance of Hitler or Nazis coming up approaches 100%. Whoever brings up Hitler/Nazis first automatically loses the discussion/debate/argument.
That sounds like something Hitler would say.

tapixt
11-14-2010, 11:38 AM
This whole thing has been turned into a little debate. >.<