PDA

View Full Version : Mars and the Phoenix Lander

ArtificialRobot
06-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Greetings!

I saw this article today and was fascinated. You can read it here at nytimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/27/science/space/27MARS.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin). Here is an introduction to the article:

-------

Scientists Find Water Vapor, Key Nutrients in Mars Soil
By Kenneth Chang

Stick an asparagus plant in a pot full of Martian soil, and the asparagus might grow happily, scientists announced Thursday.

An experiment on NASA’s Phoenix Mars lander shows the dirt on the planet’s northern arctic plains to be alkaline, though not fiercely alkaline, and full of the mineral nutrients that a plant would need.

“We basically have found what appears to be the requirements, the nutrients, to support life whether past, present or future,” Samuel P. Kounaves of Tufts University, who is leading the chemical analysis, said during a telephone news conference on Thursday. “The sort of soil you have there is the type of soil you’d probably have in your back yard. .”
-------

While I find this fascinating, some may not. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks of our venture to Mars. Is it worthwhile? A waste of time? Sort of boring?

As I've said, I'm ecstatic. However, I do wish we could do more in the field. What about the rest of you? Looking forward to some stimulating conversation!

** EDIT ** The publish date of the article is set for tomorrow. Since the typing of this topic, the title of the article has changed to Alkaline Soil Sample From Mars Reveals Presence of Nutrients for Plants to Grow. The extra period at the end of the third paragraph has been deleted, making it seem like more of a statement than a sentence that was cut off or uncertain. There may have been more changes to the article, but the topic remains the same.