PDA

View Full Version : Anime: Rebuild of Evangelion

ThePRPD
01-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Neon Genesis Evangelion is a great anime. Rebuild of Evangelion is not only a remake of the original master piece it's also a re-telling. When 2.0 comes out we'll see all of the new things.

Kawouru comes in earlier into the series with a New Evangelion unit as they descend from the moon, some footage of unit-03 and how it blew up, and also Unit-05 with a new pilot (:eek:)

Eva fans discuss.

Maruna
01-18-2009, 09:44 AM
It's going to be a loooooong time before all four movies are released. I refuse to get excited about these movies when I can't expect that new and improved ending for another 10+ Years.

I'll still buy it though, just because I love retellings.

ThePRPD
01-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I wonder how the new ending will turn out.
I hear the last two movies will be played back to back.

Also I predict 2.0 will have some EoE thrown into the mix.

2.0 is supposed to be released in June.

killshot
01-18-2009, 11:25 AM
It feels like its been forever since the first movie came out. I didn't see a big difference between it and the original version. Hopefully they will start to mix things up in the next movie.

ThePRPD
01-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Based on the preview? HELL YEAH!:cool:

Raulst
01-23-2009, 02:15 AM
Yay, more Kaworu! I know I'm totally following fanservice, but I'm glad he's appearing so early. ^^ Can't wait until this gets released in America...or I'll just find a fansub version.

ThePRPD
01-23-2009, 06:53 PM
veoh.com is your friend.

ocrinaoftimefreak
02-06-2009, 07:07 AM
sounds intresting, will wait for a date and a pre-order.

Fat1Fared
02-06-2009, 07:25 AM
lets hope they don't mess up end this time

killshot
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
lets hope they don't mess up end this time

Whats the matter? Too awesome for you?

Fat1Fared
02-06-2009, 01:36 PM
not that, just felt that he wanted to go so deep into whole human mind/psyie thing, the story was lost and it became pointless/silly

ocrinaoftimefreak
03-06-2009, 07:09 AM
not that, just felt that he wanted to go so deep into whole human mind/psyie thing, the story was lost and it became pointless/silly

Nobody likes a passive auidience in an actives clothing...

Fat1Fared
03-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Nobody likes a passive auidience in an actives clothing...

what does that mean, I understand the ending, its creator had his own depression problems...etc and that is why he wanted to show the effects the story had on its charactors

it was a good idea, and when done in an under tone, it really added to his story, however by the end it was overtop and by end, it overtook the story

Animegirlzzzzzzz
05-31-2009, 07:31 AM
what does that mean, I understand the ending, its creator had his own depression problems...etc and that is why he wanted to show the effects the story had on its charactors

it was a good idea, and when done in an under tone, it really added to his story, however by the end it was overtop and by end, it overtook the story
Alright, let's face it.
What story did Evangelion have to begin with outside the charactors?
By no means am I making a bash as I love this series but in the end it's just the power fantasy-esqe robot battles, the SEELE conspiracy and then the charactors. What was really going on was pretty much dragged along wherever the charactors wanted it to go so in the end if Shinji wanted to do anything with the budget provided, he wanted to go into that psyche sequence to prove how he believed it was all about him. There are a few effective metaphors in Evangelion and that's one that works, ka?

Animegirlzzzzzzz
06-05-2009, 01:02 PM
That's the opening sequence.
All Shinji, all the time.

JC Denton
12-25-2009, 12:44 PM
I hope for some new Shinji/Rei scenes in Rebuild 2.0, the manga handled the matter a LOT better than the series (but then again it has its own problems)

SirFluffykins
12-25-2009, 02:52 PM
You guys do know that it's already been revealed that these movies are sequels and not re-vamps.

I mean the first movie has Kawaru (SP? White Haired Boy) standing on the blood covered moon saying "I can't wait to see Shinji again" and the second movie has Shinji being far less emo and things like Rei being in battles Asuka was meant to be involved and lets not forget there's less Angels.

DannyLilithborne
12-25-2009, 09:48 PM
EVA needs to be buried.

JC Denton
12-26-2009, 09:18 AM
You guys do know that it's already been revealed that these movies are sequels and not re-vamps.

I mean the first movie has Kawaru (SP? White Haired Boy) standing on the blood covered moon saying "I can't wait to see Shinji again" and the second movie has Shinji being far less emo and things like Rei being in battles Asuka was meant to be involved and lets not forget there's less Angels.

I know the movie is out already but it's not avaible either on the net or dvd yet

sequel is the wrong term, it uses an alternative continuity (just like the manga), there is no direct connection to the tv series

emo?! think again

JC Denton
12-26-2009, 09:19 AM
EVA needs to be buried.

not as long as it's the best anime EVAR

SirFluffykins
12-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Ah...the first 2 are out already and they're both available on DVD.

sequel is the wrong term, it uses an alternative continuity

Um...did you read what I put in spoiler tags?

DannyLilithborne
12-26-2009, 10:35 AM
not as long as it's the best anime EVAR
No, it's not. It's some old man trying to work out his little boy issues, and getting other little boys caught up in the fray, along with those who care about them...

Oh, whatever, I'll just go with "it sucks ass" and leave it at that. :thatface:

JC Denton
12-26-2009, 10:39 AM
No, it's not. It's some old man trying to work out his little boy issues, and getting other little boys caught up in the fray, along with those who care about them...

well let's not discuss who sucks ass here

JC Denton
12-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Um...did you read what I put in spoiler tags?

not where I live, ever thought of that?

yes, since when I quote your post it's right there

and also yes, it's definitely not a sequel, that would be like saying YGOA is a sequel of YGO

ThePRPD
12-26-2009, 11:02 AM
That has not been confirmed. I don't believe Rebuild is a sequel.

I mean the first movie has Kawaru (SP? White Haired Boy) standing on the blood covered moon saying "I can't wait to see Shinji again"
So you think there isn't a possibility that Kaworu had already met Shinji at some point when Shinji was younger?
Kawaru (SP?)
Kaworu.It uses an alternative continuity
Yes, Rebuild is an alternate universe.
Like the manga, the alternate universe sequence from episode 26, so on and so fourth.
From what I know 1.01 is out on DVD outside of Japan and the Blue-Ray will be released in March in North America, April in Europe.

2.0 is out on DVD already in Japan?
Or perhaps you just don't get it. Not a big deal though if you didn't.

Animegirlzzzzzzz
12-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Yea! My views on EVA have matured!
Dislike the first ending (as its philosophy is, frankly, delivered in a sub-par manner), be indifferent to the movie (at least it's more realistic and was a spectacle to watch), like the story (Anno's psychologic depth is telling more times then it is overkill), look forward to the movies (I like the direction that he's taking the storytelling), but love the legacy! (It remains more remarkable then the work itself).
Speaking of pieces of work, did anybody see 2.0?
If so, how did they handle Kaworu and the new girl (assuming she appeared)?
Keep light on the spoilers if you can, please.=)

ThePRPD
12-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Speaking of pieces of work, did anybody see 2.0?
I did. It kicked all kinds of ass.

If so, how did they handle Kaworu and the new girl (assuming she appeared)?
Keep light on the spoilers if you can, please.=)

They were handled well. I don't want to spoil anything. I'll just say Kaworu does get more screen time and Mari (the new girl) is fun and definitely has some mystery to her.

The animation is just amazing and unexpected moments a plenty.
The ending is just fantastic and I think I might be liking Rebuild more than the original series. Le shock!
Semi-spoiler:
I love how Rebuild has been leaning toward a ShinjiXRei repationship

Animagess
12-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I quite enjoyed Eva, both endings and all. The fact that everyone claims to know exactly what the show was about, or what the heck Hideaki Anno's deal was when he wrote the show, only seems to support the idea that Eva appeals to/turns off people on multiple levels. That it's impossible to say who is right, or if everyone is equally wrong, it part of the fun.

Sure, you can dismiss Eva by saying "Yeah, but ASIDE from the womb metaphors, the Kabbalistic mysticism, the deliberate application of Freudian psycho-analysis, the ground-breaking use of the by-then exhausted mecha genre to explore questions of identity and existentialism... ASIDE from all that, it's really just a depressed guy performing self-therapy through a bunch of whiny kids with giant robots."

Yeah, and ASIDE from their rich literary allusions and influence on the culture, Ulysses is about two guys and their day, and Moby Dick is about a whale*. Strip away the reasons people hold mindshare in the series in the first place is to create an easily destructible strawman, a non-existent version of Eva that can be easily wrapped up in a neat little package and shipped off to Alaska where nobody will have to deal with its shallow interpretation of Judeo-Christian symbolism. But I'm a sucker for the kind of esoteric treasure-hunting Eva encourages; whether it distracts from the characterization or merely provides a unique channel with which to view the typical anime cast of psychological train wrecks with deep dark pasts is a matter of outlook.

Robin Williams and Wes Anderson apparently love Eva. That Wes Anderson refers to it as a "Japanese cartoon" (http://goop.com/newsletter/25/) suggests he's not exactly a typical anime fan. If I can admire one thing about Eva, it's that people who woudn't know what an otaku was if one hit them in the head with a Naruto action figure can access it, for all the weirdness and controversy it evokes.

*Found this line in an article about Thomas Pynchon, lest I be plagiarizing its brilliance for my own.

BACK ON TOPIC: Rebuild? I saw the first movie. It was okay. The revamped fight with the big blue diamond thing was sweet.

ThePRPD
12-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Robin Williams and Wes Anderson apparently love Eva. That Wes Anderson refers to it as a "Japanese cartoon" (http://goop.com/newsletter/25/) suggests he's not exactly a typical anime fan.

Well anime are Japanese cartoons.

Animagess
12-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Well anime are Japanese cartoons.
They are, but I think most people who consider themselves part of the anime "community" don't refer to them as such. I remember when the word "Japanimation" fell out of vogue and Blockbuster took down that section in their stores. To this day some people get riled over the word "cartoon"; it still have a negative connotation. Even to me, it feels weird to describe something like, say, Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke as a "cartoon". That's why I'm inclined to believe Wes Anderson isn't someone who watches a lot of anime or is immersed in the subculture- He's simply a director of quirky films who happens to like Eva for some reason.

Then again, if you watch his films, it makes perfect sense; the idea of the terminally dysfunctional family unit is a recurring theme in all his movies.

DannyLilithborne
12-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Or perhaps you just don't get it. Not a big deal though if you didn't.
I get it all too well.

90HeroMAXD
03-22-2010, 01:07 AM

http://daitrombe.s3.amazonaws.com/old/37153/nicename.jpg
somewhat related

well let's not discuss who sucks ass here

Its called an opinion, no need to say that he sucks. I am an EVA fan as well, but you don't see me complaining.
Granted it wasn't a very stable opinon, with no real support, but its an opinion that you seemed to neglected and just called him stupid for no reason.
Also I do agree that the series has become, bad in a sense.

Its being marketed everywhere. Its the equivalence to Starbucks. they have coffe, pachinko, shoes, bags, rings, hell even Rolling Stones and Doritos were advertising them. Sure advertising is necessary, but there's a difference between selling out and advertising.