PDA

View Full Version : The Melancholy Haruhi Suzumiya

roxasabridged
01-28-2009, 09:55 AM
One hell of a funny Anime, with an upcoming Second Season!

Haruhi 'bullying' Mikuru is pure win, yes?

yellowpages
01-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Awesome anime :)

When's the next season?

araharu
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Dear God (Haruhi) I love this anime so hard.

Blaydrix
01-29-2009, 12:06 PM
I love this anime, and the manga series isn't half bad either. Can't wait for the second season, I hear the plot gets better as the book series progresses.

roxasabridged
01-29-2009, 01:12 PM
I hope they don't flip the ep order again, or else i'll probably have to wait for the dub...

Blaydrix
01-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Gah, that would piss me off if they did that again...

insaneXchaos
01-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Mi-Mi-Miracle Mika-ru-ru!

darkarcher
01-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I hope they don't flip the ep order again, or else i'll probably have to wait for the dub...

I'm pretty sure I heard that they were doing it non-chronological again, meaning the episodes don't go in order.

So sad. XD

killshot
01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard that they were doing it non-chronological again, meaning the episodes don't go in order.

So sad. XD

I thought the episode order was what made Haruhi so appealing to me in the first place. I loved piecing the story together with the hints they gave you along the way. I even watch them in the airing order even though I have the DVD. The ending is so anticlimactic if you watch them chronologically.

roxasabridged
01-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Not to me. I'd rather know what the hell's going on, or else I can't enjoy it.

darkarcher
01-30-2009, 04:23 PM
I thought the episode order was what made Haruhi so appealing to me in the first place. I loved piecing the story together with the hints they gave you along the way. I even watch them in the airing order even though I have the DVD. The ending is so anticlimactic if you watch them chronologically.

Season 1 had a much more satisfying ending if you watched them in the order that they aired rather than the order that makes sense.

Maruna
01-30-2009, 09:35 PM
It was decent. I can't say I loved it, but that's probably because I don't care for any sort of omnipotence in my fiction. Haruhi "Mary" Suezumiya does nothing for me.

I'm somewhat excited for Season two, though.

DannyLilithborne
01-31-2009, 06:11 AM
I really don't think Haruhi's a Mary Sue, in small part because the author is actually male, but mostly because her omnipotence is the plot device in and of itself. The story is written in a way that her super powers actually get in the way of the story, instead of zip it along to its "she saved the day" conclusion. (On that note, most of the stories involve saving the day from Haruhi herself). She's simultaneously the protagonist and the MacGuffin.

Hideous Progeny
02-27-2009, 07:41 AM
So has anyone here read the manga? I'm quite curious as to whether it's worth reading.
Reviews please? :D

darkarcher
02-27-2009, 07:48 AM
There's not really anything in the manga that isn't in the anime except the manga goes a bit farther into the books.

angel of darknezz
02-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Haruhi is a brat. She goes too far when she bullies poor Mikuru.
I'm sorry but I cannot find any likable qualities in Haruhi at all...

roxasabridged
02-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Her actions are done for comedy, and there's Mikuru eventually comes to like those incidents, going from her future version's remiescing.

Plus Haruhi eventually begins to mature slightly and not go to uber extremes with her actions... Althouhh the anime hasn't reached that point quite yet.

darkarcher
02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Her actions are done for comedy, and there's Mikuru eventually comes to like those incidents, going from her future version's remiescing.

Plus Haruhi eventually begins to mature slightly and not go to uber extremes with her actions... Althouhh the anime hasn't reached that point quite yet.

And probably never will.

TitanAura
02-27-2010, 06:37 PM
The writers are currently being beaten to death. Please check again later to get season 2.

Ohara
02-27-2010, 07:21 PM
I adore this series. The perfect combination of Kyon and the awesome scripting is just... hilarious.

Endless Eight can piss off, though.

TitanAura
02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
I adore this series. The perfect combination of Kyon and the awesome scripting is just... hilarious.

Writers who don't do their job don't deserve to work. That's a law of business practice. It doesn't matter if they thought it was a great practical joke, I feel sorry for the animators who got stuck having to re-animate 8 fucking episodes that advanced no storyline or had any real value whatsoever.

Fat1Fared
02-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Writers who don't do their job don't deserve to work. That's a law of business practice. It doesn't matter if they thought it was a great practical joke, I feel sorry for the animators who got stuck having to re-animate 8 fucking episodes that advanced no storyline or had any real value whatsoever.

=well that was actually I believe the publishers and directors, the writers only wanted it to last 2 episodes with 1 to finish, or was it other way round, cannot remember, ether way it was mayor F-up which destroy almost all value the series had to me and seemed like co-out to save money or something

=As for show itself, well going on season 1 alone, I would say it was good and in lower ends of my fav's, however I am one of those who finds Haruhi a excruciating brat rather than funny. I seriously just want to tell her to shut up most of the time and the way everyone bar poor Tek, pussy foots around her makes all the worse, but the on flip side this is saved if don't watch it in Chronological order as then the plot has some very interesting substance to it. And it is meant to be watched that way, because as that is how the story builds itself up and keeps a sense of life to it, because in life the big moment is rarely the end of something, but in fact merely its start and everything which follows that is what makes story itself, and so watching this show any other way is like going straight to the end, pointless

darkarcher
02-28-2010, 02:27 PM
=well that was actually I believe the publishers and directors, the writers only wanted it to last 2 episodes with 1 to finish, or was it other way round, cannot remember, ether way it was mayor F-up which destroy almost all value the series had to me and seemed like co-out to save money or something
Well the thing is, it doesn't seem like it was a cost-cutting maneuver, since every single episode was animated and recorded separate of the others.

Fat1Fared
02-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Well the thing is, it doesn't seem like it was a cost-cutting maneuver, since every single episode was animated and recorded separate of the others.

if this did not even save them money, then I just feel sorry for them, as that means whoever did this, actually came to conclusion it was good idea for storyline and well, thats just sad

ChouToshio
02-28-2010, 10:45 PM

Amen. What a fucking waste of budget. :/

If they have time/money to waste on crap like that, they should donate it to an anime that sorely needs it-- like One Piece. xD

IMO, Haruhi is great, but it truly exists for one sole purpose-- to make Lucky Star that much better. :P

darkarcher
02-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Amen. What a fucking waste of budget. :/

If they have time/money to waste on crap like that, they should donate it to an anime that sorely needs it-- like One Piece. xD

IMO, Haruhi is great, but it truly exists for one sole purpose-- to make Lucky Star that much better. :P

With cameo swimsuit ads for juice drinks?

ChouToshio
03-01-2010, 01:09 AM
and cosplay kisa seens and all sorts of other references

Elliot Gale
03-01-2010, 06:19 AM
/totally watched all of Endless Eight

roxasabridged
03-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Since Haruhi is a pretty eccentric character, they're pretty much trying to emulate it with the series. Mixed up episodes and Endless Eight are pretty much a product of that.

Not that it's any less annoying. They could have done one of the different loops Yuki mentioned, like no Bon festival or something...

TitanAura
03-02-2010, 11:55 PM
*resists strangling*
*thinking* No.... that was meant it as a joke.... They didn't mean to say that Lucky Star was worth anything but rather a soulless monster of Japanophile Otakus.... right? *ends thinking*
*equips floss wire*

darkarcher
03-02-2010, 11:56 PM
*resists strangling*
*thinking* No.... that was meant it as a joke.... They didn't mean to say that Lucky Star was worth anything and is a soulless monster of Japanophile Otakus.... right? *ends thinking*
*equips floss wire*

It's not worth it. Strike one down and an army of others will rise up to take their place.

TitanAura
03-03-2010, 12:05 AM
It's not worth it. Strike one down and an army of others will rise up to take their place.
Like whack-a-mole? I have a hammer you know.

darkarcher
03-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Like whack-a-mole? I have a hammer you know.

More like a Hydra.

TitanAura
03-03-2010, 12:23 AM
More like a Hydra.
Hmm.... I might need to call Kratos to back me up on this one. I fear he may kill me though. Depends on whether he's feeling more or less murderous.

darkarcher
03-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Hmm.... I might need to call Kratos to back me up on this one. I fear he may kill me though. Depends on whether he's feeling more more less murderous.

Considering the subject matter, he'd probably just kill you on the spot for wasting his time.

Anyway, back on subject. Does anyone have any idea of when the 10th book is going to come out?

Fat1Fared
03-03-2010, 06:36 AM

of course well well aimed bomb at the right con and then things may get interesting

Fat1Fared
03-03-2010, 06:38 AM

of course 1 well aimed Nuke at the right con and then things may get interesting (there may be innocent loses, but there sacrifice is merely collateral damage in the name of greater good)

TitanAura
03-04-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't hate Lucky Star enough. It just irritates me is all. Now Bleach after season 2 on the other hand....

ChouToshio
03-04-2010, 03:22 AM
*resists strangling*
*thinking* No.... that was meant it as a joke.... They didn't mean to say that Lucky Star was worth anything but rather a soulless monster of Japanophile Otakus.... right? *ends thinking*
*equips floss wire*

1st-- pick an anime
2nd-- choose the voices
3rd-- insert random pop culture references into every single line
4th-- make sure the references are extremely dated
5th-- put in some internet fads
6th-- play random inappropriate music at regular intervals

I just bolded the parts of the lucky star formula that come straight out of LK's abridged series formula. How an anime fan could love YGOTAS but hate Lucky Star is beyond me.

TitanAura
03-04-2010, 03:33 AM
1st-- pick an anime
2nd-- choose the voices
3rd-- insert random pop culture references into every single line
4th-- make sure the references are extremely dated
5th-- put in some internet fads
6th-- play random inappropriate music at regular intervals

I just bolded the parts of the lucky star formula that come straight out of LK's abridged series formula. How an anime fan could love YGOTAS but hate Lucky Star is beyond me.
Please note that YGOTAS has created an entirely new genre of it's own:
Parody Series

It has been attempted in the past but nothing of the sort has ever been truly successful. You see, YGOTAS is a parody series with no shame whereas Lucky Star is fundamentally a parody series that tries to hide behind the mask of originality and the same could be said, and to the 10-fold degrees, of Family Guy. The REASON YGOTAS is allowed to be the way it is is because it is a series that is HONEST with itself and while it does commit the same "crimes" that other series have done in the past and will do in the future, it doesn't have the satisfaction of making millions of dollars based upon other people's hard work.

THAT is why I will never leave Martin's side through all of his endeavors.

Ohara
03-04-2010, 04:20 AM
I still haven't seen Lucky Star.
I expect I'd enjoy it a lot, though.

roxasabridged
03-04-2010, 09:08 AM

YGOTAS doesn't have 10 minutes of talking about eating something a certain way. YGOTAS is funny. Lucky Star isn't.

yamiangie
03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Hey I used that conversation in my term paper about the Novel "White Noise". Lucky Star is a slice of life show. It just happens that one of them is a crazy otaku. I will say the anime relied heavenly on referencing the studio's other popular series at the time Haruhi Suzumiya. It also did way too much with Actor Allusion even if it was funny for the Anime.

ChouToshio
03-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Please note that YGOTAS has created an entirely new genre of it's own:
Parody Series

It has been attempted in the past but nothing of the sort has ever been truly successful. You see, YGOTAS is a parody series with no shame whereas Lucky Star is fundamentally a parody series that tries to hide behind the mask of originality and the same could be said, and to the 10-fold degrees, of Family Guy. The REASON YGOTAS is allowed to be the way it is is because it is a series that is HONEST with itself and while it does commit the same "crimes" that other series have done in the past and will do in the future, it doesn't have the satisfaction of making millions of dollars based upon other people's hard work.

THAT is why I will never leave Martin's side through all of his endeavors.

. . . I don't know how you can see Lucky Star as anything BUT honest. I mean, it's so f'ing blatant in ripping on other stuff. What do you want? A Kaiser-style disclaimer at the start?

Basically, LS is evil because the makers are smart enough to use their talents to make money, while LK (as brilliant as he is) isn't? That's just silly.

YGOTAS doesn't have 10 minutes of talking about eating something a certain way. YGOTAS is funny. Lucky Star isn't.

Lucky Star is funny-- how's that for a counter argument? Alright let me take it one step further than your argument: Lucky Star is multi-millions-worth funny (and some more multi-millions for cute/moe), as Titan pointed out.

Look, frankly I think it's dumb to idolize LK because he makes no money. Rather, I think something is seriously wrong with the world when such brilliance (and such obvious added value) isn't rewarded with liquid assets to go along with the customer utils.

If it were legal for LK to charge me the $2.00 I'd pay for any given iPod app to download an ep, you know I'd shell it out gladly. With as many fans as he has, there'd be more than enough for a small fortune at that price. Honestly, that's the way I wish things were. [/rant]

Back on the topic of Haruhi, I actually decided to pick up one of the short novels and give it a read. *head smack* for some reason, it's just not as fun as the anime.

TitanAura
03-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I can see that convincing you otherwise is completely impossible so I won't bother once I'm done with this final comment on the matter. The reason I give shit to series like Lucky Star and Family Guy for ripping off pop culture references to get easy laughs is because they are spoken through ORIGINAL CHARACTERS and when you're going through the trouble of using ORIGINAL CHARACTERS then you should also go the extra PROFESSIONAL FUCKING MILE of writing ORIGINAL JOKES to go with them. LK doesn't use original characters, he uses characters ripped from a show and places an alternate persona into them making them a parody of themselves. The entire reason YGOTAS works is because of the CONTEXT and if he were to place his writing into a show like Family Guy or Lucky Star, I would easily hate it just as much. However, he doesn't and he won't. If you have a serious problem with the fact that I idolize him for what he does then good luck convincing me otherwise. You are not the first and you will not be the last so give up now.

ChouToshio
03-06-2010, 01:15 PM
*raise an eyebrow* well Titan, I just have to start off by saying that you are seriously walking close to the border of preaching to the choir-- I mean, I don't think you need to convince people at this forum of LK's greatness (he's everyone's idol, not just yours). Everyone here appreciates the brilliance of the Abridged series model (which is why to me it's a real shame that LK and other's can't use it to make money).

As for shows like Family Guy and Lucky Star-- let's just agree to disagree, because I don't think you're going to convince me or the thousands of fans (of both shows) of any lack in the comic content either show. Remember, people don't do things for free-- maybe for LK, the joy of his fans is enough reward for him, but for big productions like Lucky Star or Family Guy, you can't justify the funds and resources spent on the project unless you're making money by giving the viewers what they want-- a task you will have to admit that both shows have unquestionably delivered on based on their followings.

I think you yourself have a much better (first hand) understanding of how a large-scale show project goes without making money, neh?

Ohara
03-06-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't see how the characters being original or not has anything to do with the quality of the humor, personally...

Fat1Fared
03-06-2010, 07:42 PM
. . . I don't know how you can see Lucky Star as anything BUT honest. I mean, it's so f'ing blatant in ripping on other stuff. What do you want? A Kaiser-style disclaimer at the start?

Though Titan probably has smart idea here, going to attempt the dumb thing anyway, ok, there is difference between cleverly picking holes in plots as sub-culture satire and just making vulgar jokes out of other poeples idea on media level as no original ideas of your own (and this fundermentally the whole point being made, a sub-cutlure is not a mass form of media so it can get away with these jokes in same way as normal person making them while watching film can, but when make it a mass media form, new set of rules and just becomes in your face offensive)

Basically, LS is evil because the makers are smart enough to use their talents to make money, while LK (as brilliant as he is) isn't? That's just silly.

-LK cannot make money because he isn't smart enough? (you clearly believe in meritocracy way too much my friend, as making real money as very little to do with brains and lot to with very unethical and disreputable thing out there, maybe overstatment, but not a wrong one, which important note)

=Now I will not be so presumptive and to guess at whether LK would be willing to make money out of abridging or not, (though guess he would, cannot say as not know man) but fact is he does not and that adds a level of Acceptability to it, because things large mass media would make in your face and offensive, become endearing here, as the abridged series is a joke for the “sake” of being a joke, while lucky is Joke for “sake” of making money out of making fun of others (massive difference) and this is why to me, abridgers should never make money, as this intruth destroys the essence of what they were made for

Look, frankly I think it's dumb to idolize LK because he makes no money. Rather, I think something is seriously wrong with the world when such brilliance (and such obvious added value) isn't rewarded with liquid assets to go along with the customer utils.

Yes, because all instrinic value must be based on money, that isn't counter-productive and contradictory :thatface:

=Ok, I know I am being divisive here and on purposefully misconstruing a flaw in the technicalities of your wording rather than its point, but I do not do this without reason, the point I really getting at here, is that you are fundermentally saying that money is only thing "really" worth valuing things by and if does not make money, not being valued, but sometimes, (in fact most times) not making money and doing them for sake of doing them is actually more real and endearing as means it what you love not what you work to love (big difference here)

If it were legal for LK to charge me the $2.00 I'd pay for any given iPod app to download an ep, you know I'd shell it out gladly. With as many fans as he has, there'd be more than enough for a small fortune at that price. Honestly, that's the way I wish things were. [/rant]

you can legally give him money, just give it as a gift in appreciation's of his acts, not payment

(though I would say that, with Titan's point on original characters needing original jokes, I would disagree there, as to me, all to do with the endearment given from doing something because love doing it, rather love making money from it)

TitanAura
03-07-2010, 02:18 PM
I will not speak for LK but I have known him for a couple years now so please understand that I know what I'm talking about. He has, in fact, been contacted by 4kids in the past and has made it very clear to them that, while he appreciates their dub for introducing him to YGO and being his inspiration, he has no intention of working with them. I know nothing of what, if anything, they may have offered him or whether they simply wished to show their appreciation, regardless of what may happen in the future, he has no intention of making a cent off of this series and if you dare bring the merchandise into this argument I will personally rip your spinal column out because the "profits" from those products goes directly towards funding this site. Kroze and LK are still losing money by running YGOTAS.com and that's not about to change. Try finding an ad. You'll be here a while.

I'll give you an example of someone else I admire: Craig Skistimas of ScrewAttack.com

There's one difference between him and LK though.... Craig is the CEO bossman of his own small business (screwattack.com) and is actually quite successful. UH OH, HE MAKES MONEY, MONEY = EVIL, /obvious sarcasm. The fact is, he's not what you'd call "wealthy" but he easily makes enough through his company to support his business consisting of 15-20 people, maybe more including interns. That indicates their profit margin must be quite substantial. Not only that, they are growing in popularity around the internet and in the video game industry every passing year and yet.... Craig takes time out of his busy schedule of running a business to add every individual user to his friends' list as well as be willing to chat with just about anyone so long as he has additional free time. He's friendly, charismatic, and a downright fun loving guy and the same can be said of mostly everyone on his staff. The difference is while he is successful, he still takes the time out to appreciate the people that make his success possible. How many Hollywood movies or network TV shows do you see that end with special thanks mentioning THE FANS?

ChouToshio
03-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Titan, I've heard the "LK doesn't make money off it," speech a hundred times-- but again, you're giving it to the wrong person. That speech is for the idiots out to witch-hunt Abridged Series.

I'm saying the opposite-- LK doesn't make money off it, but that's a real shame. As awesome as the Abridged series is, there really should be a greater reward for LK's hard work than our cheerleading and the petty amounts we can give through T-Shirt purchases and small site donations.

AsteriskRocks
03-07-2010, 05:30 PM
This has gone waaay too off topic.

Aninamar
03-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Lucky Star is funny-- how's that for a counter argument? Alright let me take it one step further than your argument: Lucky Star is multi-millions-worth funny (and some more multi-millions for cute/moe), as Titan pointed out.

Amen.

*suggesting that YGOTAS is still funny and LK is a holy man who definitely does not do things like squandering his own legend and insulting the intelligence of his viewers by adhering to the wishes of his younger, more retarded audience, not to mention slacking off, finding inspirations in TeamFourStar, which never even got to the level of early YGOTAS, and that his series is all about clever pinpointing and lampshading instead of spouting stupid catchphrases*

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4608/126434234644.jpg

darkarcher
03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm saying the opposite-- LK doesn't make money off it, but that's a real shame. As awesome as the Abridged series is, there really should be a greater reward for LK's hard work than our cheerleading and the petty amounts we can give through T-Shirt purchases and small site donations.
He cannot legally make a profit off of the series without buying rights to the characters and scenarios from the Japanese company that owns it (and probably 4Kids too since they have rights to the English dub). Last I checked, the Japanese company doesn't like us.

Additionally, as Titan pointed out, LK merely intends the series to entertain. It's not about money and frankly I don't think it ever should be.
This has gone waaay too off topic.
Indeed. Back to MoHS. Any more posts not related to it will be censored.