PDA

View Full Version : Butterfinger Buzz: Dangerous Candy

Tatterdemalion
02-06-2009, 05:52 PM
So i was in a store today, buying a copious amount of soft drinks ('cuz that's what I do)m when I stumbled across this strange new product. It's the sort of thing that makes you stop and wonder if reality has actually become a satire of itself.

That's right, it's a product from the Nestle company called something along the lines of "Butterfinger Buzz," advertizing itself as having all of the caffeine of the leading energy drink, all contained within a 2 oz chocolatey, peanuty candy bar (I'd fear salmonella, but apparently Butterfinger isn't made from peanut butter).

Now, thereare3 several things here that leap out at you right away. Firstly, there's the absurdity and preposterous nature of the whole thing. Secondly there's the humor to be hound in the stark, blatant and overt way that the candy industry has, along with the caffeine industry, essentially admitted to the fact that they're pushing the superdrug of the 21st century. I mean, forget about the energy drink a while back that called itself "cocaine," this is just taking it one step further. Only with less irony.

Also, I have to wonder how they actually get the caffeine inside of the candy bar. I have an image in my mind of a syringe full of caffeine injecting a serum into the candy bar.Which not only is creepy, but is probably frighteningly accurate.

Third, this begs the question, why was this approved by the FDA?

But if that's not enough, there are two other pieces of information that awe-stike and dumbfound me.

One of them is the warning on the label of the candy which reads:

Not recommended for pregnant women, children, or persons sensitive to caffeine.

It's finally happened. They've finally invented a candy bar which has to come with the warning "may not be safe for children."

Something is terribly amiss.

Also, even more astonishing, is this little piece of gold from the Butterfinger Buzz website:

The NEW limited edition BUTTERFINGER? Buzz bar combines the BUTTERFINGER? taste you love with as much caffeine as the leading energy drink. Help spread the word by using your head! Get shaved and stenciled, then upload your photo here, and if we approve and post your submitted photo, you'll get a coupon for a free BUTTERFINGER? bar. Get Your Buzz On!

It's finally happened. I mean, I literally had to read that over several times, in order to make sure I understood the words "shaved and stenciled," "if" and "coupon."

A company is actually telling their customers to shave their heads and write the name of their product into their hair, thus turning them into walking billboards, with the incentive being that people who do so may or may not get a free candy bar. And not even a candy bar, they get a coupon for a candy bar which they then have to go out and buy for themselves.

Is it just me, or are most candy bar consumers far more masochistic than I had previously imagined.

Also, another part of the website says "Download your stencil here, then slap it on your shaved head and apply paint."

This is actually some sort of slang term or metaphor, right? That is, they don't actually expect people to literally do what they're describing, right? Please tell me I'm being naive, please.

In any case, I would seriously like to hear your thoughts on this. I know this may sound odd, considering that rather than just naming a topic and saying "discuss," I myself did a great deal of talking about it, but really...yeah.

Fat1Fared
02-06-2009, 05:59 PM
mate if a company is willing to break the human rights of its workers and sue provety filled countries, do you really think this that big to them

Tatterdemalion
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
mate if a company is willing to break the human rights of its workers and sue provety filled countries, do you really think this that big to them

Keep in mind, the things you mentioned go on behind the scenes. This is actually something they're actually using to promote themselves. Which is something no other corporation has done since Banana Republic.

Fat1Fared
02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
very true, but they are also lot worse, companies, on whole do not care as long something will make a profit

Do not know if was in USA, but here in England TKmax tried to sell a coat with a knife in it, in middle of knife panic

Rydonmower
02-06-2009, 09:01 PM
What really scares me is, how many kids will actually read the warning? I mean, as soon as a kid sees a new candy bar they're gonna wanna try it, 'cos that's what kids do. 'Ooh, it's a candy bar. Kids eat candy bars therefore I want to try it'. And with caffine, butter, chocolate and all that other fattening, life-reducing sugary goodness, I'm not sure a 7-year-old would react well.

Tatterdemalion
02-06-2009, 09:46 PM
What really scares me is, how many kids will actually read the warning? I mean, as soon as a kid sees a new candy bar they're gonna wanna try it, 'cos that's what kids do. 'Ooh, it's a candy bar. Kids eat candy bars therefore I want to try it'. And with caffine, butter, chocolate and all that other fattening, life-reducing sugary goodness, I'm not sure a 7-year-old would react well.

It's not really as bad as it sounds. One serving of this thing has 40 mg of caffeine, so two servings, or one package, has 80 mg. That being said, one serving of DIet Coke has just over 40 mg, around 45...so to be honest, there's less caffeine in one king sized package of this stuff than in a bottle of Diet Coke. Which is actually also more than there is in a can of Red Bull. Which is actually kind of frightenting

Also, it would be less effective than in liquid form, because when the caffeine is in the form of a liquid, it gets absorbed into the blood stream very quickly. If it's in a solid bar of candy, your body has to slowly break it down and digest it, absorbing it gradually, and thus leading to you feeling less of its effects.

And there's not really butter in a Butterfinger. That's just a name.

killshot
02-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I hate butterfingers. It may not be real peanut butter, but it has peanut butter's annoying ability to stick to your teeth and never come off.

I notice this trend of turning people into walking billboards most in the fashion industry. Companies like Old Navy and Aeropostle have their logo branded across almost every article of clothing they produce. Not only do these companies make money from selling the stuff in the first place, but every customer automatically becomes a walking advertisement for their product.

RationalInquirer
02-06-2009, 11:33 PM
The NEW limited edition BUTTERFINGER? Buzz bar combines the BUTTERFINGER? taste you love with as much caffeine as the leading energy drink. Help spread the word by using your head! Get shaved and stenciled, then upload your photo here, and if we approve and post your submitted photo, you'll get a coupon for a free BUTTERFINGER? bar. Get Your Buzz On!

Hahaha. The methods some companies go through to sell their products. What do you expect Nestle will do next? Suggest their customers use the space on their foreheads for advertisements? Turning them into walking billboards (I think it's been done before). On a similiar matter, there is another deal offered by Burger King called the Whopper Sacrifice Deal. It's just as hilarious!

http://www.whoppersacrifice.com/
http://news.cnet.com/delete-10-facebook-friends-get-a-free-whopper/

Sacrifice 10 people on your obscure friends list on Facebook and recieve a 1 free coupon for a Whopper! If you sacrifice a 100 friends you get 10 coupons and for 1000 friends you get 100 coupons and so forth. What an unorthodox marketing technique. Will it gain popularity?

Tatterdemalion
02-07-2009, 12:19 AM
I hate butterfingers. It may not be real peanut butter, but it has peanut butter's annoying ability to stick to your teeth and never come off.

According to the wrapper, it's made from actual peanuts. And I find it sticks to your teeth kind of like toffee...peanut butter doesn't really get in my teeth. Still, same concept.

I notice this trend of turning people into walking billboards most in the fashion industry. Companies like Old Navy and Aeropostle have their logo branded across almost every article of clothing they produce. Not only do these companies make money from selling the stuff in the first place, but every customer automatically becomes a walking advertisement for their product.

See, that's why I don't wear that sort of clothing. To be honest, I don't wear any clothing that has any sort of design or logo on it, because I find that doing so eliminates a person's authority over their own wardrobe. Or at least over my wardrobe. Other people can do it, I'd rather not. I mean, it's not as though it's your logo or design, it's someone else's logo or design.

Come to think of it, that's a good idea, I should have my own logo...but I'm not going to.

But yeah, still, I think there's a difference between wearing clothing that has a logo and writing it into the side of your head. You have to admit, the head-writing thing is more than a bit extreme, even compared to these other examples.

Fat1Fared
02-07-2009, 08:15 AM
According to the wrapper, it's made from actual peanuts. And I find it sticks to your teeth kind of like toffee...peanut butter doesn't really get in my teeth. Still, same concept.

See, that's why I don't wear that sort of clothing. To be honest, I don't wear any clothing that has any sort of design or logo on it, because I find that doing so eliminates a person's authority over their own wardrobe. Or at least over my wardrobe. Other people can do it, I'd rather not. I mean, it's not as though it's your logo or design, it's someone else's logo or design.

Come to think of it, that's a good idea, I should have my own logo...but I'm not going to.

But yeah, still, I think there's a difference between wearing clothing that has a logo and writing it into the side of your head. You have to admit, the head-writing thing is more than a bit extreme, even compared to these other examples.

Tatter, I completely agree, I don't mind fashion cloths, but will never wear ones which have seeable tags...etc because feel if cloths are nice and what you want to wear they should speak for themselves

As for Nestle like said this just small thing for them and if poeple will do it, they do it

IamMcDoob
02-13-2009, 08:37 AM
You know what's scary? I don't know about you all, but I know around where I live highschool kids actually make there OWN "clothing companies" They're ALL. THE. SAME. The "company" name in different fonts with odd patterns around them. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can pick out a marketing scheme when they see it.

This is the worst one I know of in my area. Right out of the bowels of my former highschool comes "ASSULT CLOTHING". Yes, that is how they spell it, it's not a mistake on my part.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=47159335

I might vomit.

Tatterdemalion
02-13-2009, 03:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know what's scary? I don't know about you all, but I know around where I live highschool kids actually make there OWN "clothing companies" They're ALL. THE. SAME. The "company" name in different fonts with odd patterns around them. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can pick out a marketing scheme when they see it.

This is the worst one I know of in my area. Right out of the bowels of my former highschool comes "ASSULT CLOTHING". Yes, that is how they spell it, it's not a mistake on my part.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=47159335

I might vomit.

Doesn't seem that nauseating, to be honest

Rydonmower
02-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Well the webpage certainly is.
All that black and white was giving me a headache.