PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln and Darwin Day

RationalInquirer
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Well, today is the birthday of one of the greatest Presidents of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. It is also the birthday and 200th anniversary of reknowned scientist, Charles Darwin. What are your thoughts?

AsteriskRocks
02-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Well obviously...

Here's my question...what are your thoughts on the theory of 'Social Darwinism'?

RationalInquirer
02-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Social Darwinism is a theory adapted from the idea of Natural Selection and implementing into the sociopolitical structures. I can think of many different ways it applies in society. If you wan't more information, search it up. Such as in the financial sector, companies that don't pull through or make bad decisions (Lehman Brothers) are left behind. While companies that do make it through ascend higher. Not that this is always a good thing. To be honest, I wasn't to surprised when Wall Street executives were so happy they survived the near economic collapse that they proceeded to celebrate by giving themselves billions of dollars in pay raises. And get their fat, undeserved, government bail outs. A bit off topic there for a moment.

AsteriskRocks
02-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Social Darwinism is a theory adapted from the idea of Natural Selection and implementing into the sociopolitical structures.
I know what it is...

Tatterdemalion
02-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Social Darwinism is a theory adapted from the idea of Natural Selection and implementing into the sociopolitical structures. I can think of many different ways it applies in society. If you wan't more information, search it up. Such as in the financial sector, companies that don't pull through or make bad decisions (Lehman Brothers) are left behind. While companies that do make it through ascend higher. Not that this is always a good thing. To be honest, I wasn't to surprised when Wall Street executives were so happy they survived the near economic collapse that they proceeded to celebrate by giving themselves billions of dollars in pay raises. And get their fat, undeserved, government bail outs. A bit off topic there for a moment.

I think Asterisk wanted your opinion/perspective on Social Darwinism, not information as to what it is.

In any case, yes, it is their birthdays. I'm not saying happy birthday to them, though, because they're dead. It's kind of ironic, celebrating the birthday of a dead person,don't you think?

RationalInquirer
02-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I know what it is...

Oh, I guess I didn't read it correctly. Sorry about that. My personal opinion? Well, I think that it is a very interesting concept when applied to realms outside of science and could yield different perspectives of how people look at things. If it actually occurs, then so be it. One thing I do not like though, is the term Darwinism. I don't think it is proper to use this term when referring to his works or ideas. Imagine someone accepting theories Newton and Einstein proposed and referring to it as Newtonism and Einsteinism.

Tatterdemalion
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Imagine someone accepting theories Newton and Einstein proposed and referring to it as Newtonism and Einsteinism.

For the record, Newton's theories collectively are, to my knowledge, referred to as "Newtonian physics."

And Social Darwinism is still the most accurate term. I mean, it's a misnomer because Darwin himself never actually advocated it. Still, because it's an idea that's rooted in a non-scientific, misguided, flawed, biased, racist interpretation of Darwin's writings. To be honestr, there isn't a more accurate term to be used.

RationalInquirer
02-12-2009, 08:30 PM
For the record, Newton's theories collectively are, to my knowledge, referred to as "Newtonian physics."

And Social Darwinism is still the most accurate term. I mean, it's a misnomer because Darwin himself never actually advocated it. Still, because it's an idea that's rooted in a non-scientific, misguided, flawed, biased, racist interpretation of Darwin's writings. To be honestr, there isn't a more accurate term to be used.
Good point. It is probably more accurate that way. But as you said, it is often used by opponents of Darwin in a derogatory sense. Trying to couple Darwin's ideas with a cult or belief system of some sort. One thing that I know that is improperly coined is Evolutionism. It's the Theory of Evolution. No one will call the Theory of Gravity as Gravitism or Theory of Relativity as Relatavitism.