PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day is around the corner

RationalInquirer
02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm afraid I can't offer any useful advice on your love life :p (if you have one that is), others here maybe able to. But I advise you to listen to the wise words of Dmitri the Lover, one of the Biggest Douches in the Universe.
Beware, he actually exists!
I'm ashamed that this asshole lives and operates in my country:

http://torontoist.com/2008/06/remember_dimitri_the_lover.php

And here is a real phone conversation made by him(don't fall of your chair!:D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c06pinaKl8o

If your a guy, learn from his idiocy what NOT to do when forming a date. If your a girl, stay clear from creeps like him.

Tatterdemalion
02-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Yes, Valentine's Day is around the corner. And although I'm not Catholic, I'm still recognizing it.

What to do, what to do? Well, the bo I like has told me a while back to cease and desist, so there's no hope there. So I'll have to just spend Valentine's Day spreading generall good will and happiness, and such. Or not, maybe I'll just keep to myself and leet at everyone I see, all surly and dismal.Or maybe I'll buy one of those expensive boxes of chocolate in a box shaped like a heart and eat it. The chocolates, that is, not the box.

Yep, that sounds like me.

KuroStarr
02-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Ah, yes.
That scandal created by card companies to reel in your money all to show your 'lover' how much you 'care'...unfortunately, people take this all too seriously.

You know what surprises me? Alot of people get dumped on that day. Why is that?
I'll probably eat chocolate all day. nothing unusual.

Tatterdemalion
02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, yes.
That scandal created by card companies to reel in your money all to show your 'over' how much you 'care'...unfortunately, people take this all too seriously.

Oh dear, you just pointed out something...

You can't spell "lover" without "over."

How depressing.

KuroStarr
02-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh dear, you just pointed out something...

You can't spell "lover" without "over."

How depressing.
lol.
I'll fix that. D:

JesusRocks
02-13-2009, 06:08 AM
Wasn't Valentine's day supposed be a feast day commemorating two or three martyrs named Valentine?

How the hell people made the jump from remembering martyrs to recreating a greek festival I'll never know O.o

OverMind
02-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Wasn't Valentine's day supposed be a feast day commemorating two or three martyrs named Valentine?

How the hell people made the jump from remembering martyrs to recreating a greek festival I'll never know O.o

Oooh, we can have a lot of fun with this. Those statements can be used for ANY celebration with vague religious connections.

i.e.

Wasn't _____________ supposed be a _____________ day commemorating _____________ named _____________?

How the hell people made the jump from _____________ to _____________ I'll never know O.o

I'll fill in the blanks for Christmas.

Wasn't Christmas supposed be a holiday commemorating the birthday of some guy who died on a cross named Jesus?

How the hell people made the jump from celebrating birthdays to dressing trees up, spending loads of cash on gifts, and spreading lies about a non-existent fat man who has nothing better to do than give gifts away to children for free I'll never know O.o

Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

IamMcDoob
02-13-2009, 09:02 AM
And Easter.

and Arbor Day. xD

Fat1Fared
02-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Oooh, we can have a lot of fun with this. Those statements can be used for ANY celebration with vague religious connections.

i.e.

Wasn't _____________ supposed be a _____________ day commemorating _____________ named _____________?

How the hell people made the jump from _____________ to _____________ I'll never know O.o

I'll fill in the blanks for Christmas.

Wasn't Christmas supposed be a holiday commemorating the birthday of some guy who died on a cross named Jesus?

How the hell people made the jump from celebrating birthdays to dressing trees up, spending loads of cash on gifts, and spreading lies about a non-existent fat man who has nothing better to do than give gifts away to children for free I'll never know O.o

Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

though your general idea is right, christmas was actually a pagan celebration of the end of winter and the resting of new sun...etc cannot all details, which the Christians then took and turned to celebrate the birth of Jebus or somebody like that anyway, to make there indotrenation into Christianity easier

KuroStarr
02-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Ever notice that most of our holidays are from Pagans?
How the hell did that happen?

Fat1Fared
02-13-2009, 05:10 PM
well, don't quote here and this just simple version, but the pagans had very strict religious festivals, following the seasons of the year...etc

The Christians did not and mostly follow the ideal of lots of small things very week, IE going to church (though would different to modern day church)

So when the church started to try and change the pagans it found they loved these festivals, because not only were they religious, they were fun, so instead of trying to remove them, they let them keep them and slowly over time changed their meanings to modern day ones

PS Santa is Green

mystra
02-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Fat1Fared you're pretty much correct.

Kanariya674
02-14-2009, 12:08 PM

That was me. Just the day before Valentine's Day. There goes a wasted five months. xD

But, I guess for people it's just really nice. Gives them a chance to hang out and be overly romantic. Whatever floats their boat.

KuroStarr
02-14-2009, 12:15 PM
There goes a wasted five months. xD
What do you mean by that?

Kanariya674
02-14-2009, 01:20 PM
What do you mean by that?

The relationship lasted five months.

RationalInquirer
02-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Pagan festivals inspired nearly all of our modern religious holidays. Christmas was celebrated in ages back by many diverse cultures. They were known as Winter Solstice events among others. As we all know, much of western civilization takes it's roots back to the Greeks and Romans; adopting their alphabet and much more. Even our days of the week are also derived from Norse mythology. Wednesday (The day if Woden), Thursday (The day of Thor), Friday (The day of Frigg). But I digress.
As for Valentine's Day, I don't expect many people to go on a shopping spree for their friends and family. With the economy in the current state, many of us are not in the position to spend away. Maybe a nice dinner will do just fine. Or a good movie. Valentines only lasts for a day anyway.

PS Santa is Green

Santa's name when rearranged also spells Satan :eek:
He's hiding horns under all that beard and jollyness...
Children probably identify Santa more often than Jesus. It's all part of his grand plan to take over the universe!

Titan50
02-14-2009, 01:47 PM

I blame Coca-Cola

OverMind
02-14-2009, 10:05 PM
So, back on topic, anyone have any interesting Valentine's Day stories they'd like to share before this fine topic vanishes into obscurity?

(I've got none, given that I've been trying to pay off the sleep debt I accumulated over this past week).

Titan50
02-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Spenging half o Valentine's Day with someone you fancy who is going out with someone else is kinda annoying, but hey. Did the same today but with more people. And watching them get drunk while I stayed sober :D (I don't drink)

MrsSallyBakura
02-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, I was at a fancy restaurant with my boyfriend. It was the kind of restaurant where they served your meal in course instead of just all at once. They had a special Valentine's Day menu, and at the top of the paper it said, "$69 per couple."

Also for dessert we ordered a chocolate gateau and when we saw it and tasted it we were like, "OMG CHOCOLATE OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM." It was great. =D

Fat1Fared
02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Wait, in America you do not normally eat in course order?

So what you have starter, middler, mean course and pudding all at once, that seems, over top

I mean even at our scumbag student bar, we get it in course order <yikes>

Tatterdemalion
02-16-2009, 03:37 AM

So what you have starter, middler, mean course and pudding all at once, that seems, over top

I don't think that's how we do things in America. Then again, perhaps this is the custom in some part of America to which I have never been.

MrsSallyBakura
02-16-2009, 10:00 AM

Not particularly. I mean, sometimes you can order an appetizer and then the meal and then the dessert, but it's a lot more casual and you don't always have to do it that way. Sometimes you just order dinner and that's all you get because you don't feel like eating in about 5 different courses. And they're usually ordered at separate times.

We went to an Eastern European restaurant so that's why we had courses I guess, lol.

But it was nice. Nice change of pace, nice conversation, it's just nice to go out and do something, well, nice every once in a while. Doesn't have to be on Valentine's Day, but if the day exists so that you can go out and do that, may as well take advantage of it.

Titan50
02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
"$69 per couple."

o_O

SilverFox
02-19-2009, 04:15 AM
Alone again hehe, I've been captain of the USS Miserable for years. :(

KuroStarr
02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Alone again hehe, I've been captain of the USS Miserable for years. :(

Join the club.