PDA

View Full Version : ToraDora!

JesusRocks
02-26-2009, 08:10 PM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/JesusRocks1988/Toradora.jpg

This is such an epic anime that it deserves its own thread.

This is a 25 episode anime, rather short, but it's awesome. They come out about every Thursday, and the subbers upload the English Subbed version by around Friday.

Basic premise:
- Two main protagonists: Taiga Aisaka and Ryuji Takasu

Ryuji has a crush on Minori Kushieda, who is Taiga's best friend, and captain of the girl's softball team.

Taiga has a crush on Yusaku Kitamura, who is Ryuji's best friend, and also Vice-President of the student council, class rep and captain of the boy's softball team.

Neither of them are very good at talking to their crushes. Therefore Taiga promises Ryuji that she will help him talk to Minori, while Ryuji promises Taiga that he will help her talk to Yusaku

- Because of his facial features, Ryuji is often mistaken for an intimidating delinquent, despite his gentle personality.

- Because of her under-developed body and short stature, Taiga has a negative attitude towards others and will not hesitate to snap at, or fight with those who cross her. Her reputation has earned her the nickname "The Palmtop Tiger".

- Ryuji is self-sufficient, loves to cook and clean and is good natured and caring. Taiga ran away from home and lives in the apartment next-door to Ryuji's - she cannot cook, clean or look after herself properly. Ryuji takes it upon himself to help her be more self-sufficient.

- Ami Kawashima is Yusaka's childhood friend, who worked as a model before transfering to the same school as Yusaku. She is Taiga's enemy. Taiga gives her the nickname "Stupid Chihuahua". She also has a love-interest in Ryuji.

This anime is awesome - srsly

THEREFORE

DISCUSS!

Elliot Gale
03-01-2009, 11:55 PM
I do not approve of the lack of posts here. At all.

Absolutely love the series. I'd hazard to say it's the best in the genre.

Fat1Fared
03-02-2009, 03:30 PM
This show sounds like Animie's answer to Hollyoaks, therefore it is a soap and must be Destroyed

Has anyone got a convincing argument as to why that is wrong

JesusRocks
03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
This show sounds like Animie's answer to Hollyoaks, therefore it is a soap and must be Destroyed

Has anyone got a convincing argument as to why that is wrong

It's awesome.
Soaps are not.

CONVINC'D

Elliot Gale
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Soaps also don't end. This has definitive storyline and is ending soon.

The character development is crack.

JesusRocks
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Right, today should be the day that Episode 22 is out... the untranslated videos are on Veoh at the moment... just gotta wait for the subbers to do their thing...

Usually I catch these Friday evenings...

Elliot Gale
03-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Ditto.

Show always keeps me guessing. Do want moar.

speedlolita
03-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm waiting for it to finish to watch in one sitting.

Seen about 5 so far though.

JesusRocks
03-10-2009, 08:00 AM
****SPOILERS****
aw damn I SO want Taiga and Ryuji to get together... I wonder how Ryuji will continue to react to her mumbled unconscious revelation...

Elliot Gale
03-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Shit, we're headed for one epic conclusion.

Translation: Episode 23 go watch.

JesusRocks
03-13-2009, 08:18 AM

that's it, I WILL watch it tonight!

JesusRocks
03-13-2009, 07:51 PM

oh wow

oh

WOW

can't wait for 24 now

Elliot Gale
03-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah man. This show does it right.

Kochiha
03-14-2009, 07:19 AM
****SPOILERS****
see above for said spoilers, they're visible in quotes

Exactly what I don't want.

Blaydrix
03-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Gah! I missed this thread! ToraDora(!) is amazing! I was getting ready to watch 23 in a few minutes.

Elliot Gale
03-14-2009, 06:22 PM

You're weird.

Blaydrix
03-14-2009, 06:39 PM
23 was epic.

killshot
03-14-2009, 08:03 PM

And what would you prefer? I'll be pretty upset if Ryuji doesn't end up with Tiaga. The way things are going its obvious they deserve each other.

JesusRocks
03-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Can't wait for ep24, title is "Confession" ... sounds like it's going to be properly revelatory, which is good because it's the second from last episode of the series...

Elliot Gale
03-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Shit mang. Show is so epic they're adding a 25th episode. lol

No really. I swear it was only slated for 24. Speaking of which, OMG. D:

JesusRocks
03-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Shit mang. Show is so epic they're adding a 25th episode. lol

No really. I swear it was only slated for 24. Speaking of which, OMG. D:

By the looks of it I need to see 24 tonight!

Elliot Gale
03-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Do it. Do it nao.

It actually managed to surprise me a couple times even despite being predictable.

JesusRocks
03-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Oh wow.

**SPOILERS**
I'm actually impressed with how little of a fuss they made of telling each other their feelings for each other, since they both knew anyway, and the others didn't really make much of a fuss over the actual "confession" part... it was more like "yeah, we know, now what are you planning to do?" - interesting slant on the subject, unusual for the genre...

Yeah, parts of that surprised me as well. the end result was completely predictable, but it was as if the writers intentionally made it predictable to highlight that how the characters deal with the events AFTER the actual confession, is a vastly more important, less predictable (and more enjoyable from a viewing standpoint) subject - too many animes in this genre just END with the confession - this one glosses over the actual "confession" as if it is not really the main focus of the story, despite it being the title of the episode...

Can't wait for Episode 25... "Toradora!"
It should, in theory, wrap things up nicely - but I think ep 24 is the crowning moment of awesome for this anime... it was the same as any other anime in its genre, yet at the same time, oddly different... and this is a good thing ^_^

Blaydrix
03-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Yes, this episode was awesome, but I can't wait for "ToraDora!"

killshot
03-20-2009, 10:30 PM
This episode really felt like the end of the series. I'm curious as to how the show will actually end.

SPOILERS!!!!

I really liked how they handled the confession scene. I was expecting Tiaga to keep running away from her feelings until the very last episode. For a moment there, I really thought they were going to run away together. I must say that this show is definitely my favorite of this genre. I was never a big fan of slice of life animes, but this one really stands out from the others despite having a generic plot.

I can't wait until the last episode. It sucks that its almost over though.

Also, did anyone see what happened to that money they dropped on the ground? That was bugging me.

JesusRocks
03-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Also, did anyone see what happened to that money they dropped on the ground? That was bugging me.

Heh, I don't even think I noticed that one XD

Arbaal
03-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Sounds very cliche, evil badass with a heart of gold

JesusRocks
03-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Sounds very cliche, evil badass with a heart of gold

It is very cliche... but there is something different, that makes it stand out from others in the genre...

Arbaal
03-21-2009, 09:41 PM
It is very cliche... but there is something different, that makes it stand out from others in the genre...

It's Japanese?

Kochiha
03-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Quit at episode 23 due to genericy. Seriously, I almost vomited.

Arbaal
03-21-2009, 10:27 PM
Quit at episode 23 due to genericy. Seriously, I almost vomited.

Lawl, you wasted hours of your life

Elliot Gale
03-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Oh no, generic pairing that you could see from the get-go due to the title. Who cares about the what of it when the how and the why are more important?

Besides, the series is far from generic in the remaining areas.

Elliot Gale
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
EPIC DOUBLE POST TO SPREAD NEWS OF EPIC ENDING.

It really tied up all the loose ends.

JesusRocks
03-29-2009, 04:50 PM
OH WOW EPIC WAS EPIC

>_> Only just managed to watch it, and... oh wow... so it's over now T-T
NOW WHAT ANIME WILL FILL ITS VOID!?

The ending was awesome, I almost neglected to watch until the end of the credits, but I thought "nah, this can't be the complete end just yet" ... *SPOILERS*
At the bit where Taiga and Ryuji kiss, I couldn't help relating to that moment. My girlfriend is only 5ft and half an inch tall, whereas I'm like 5'9" or something (I never bothered measuring my height lol). It was quite funny to me, to see something so similar XD

But seriously, I lol'd @ Inko-chan. And, how the hell did Ryuji know Taiga was in that locker!? XD

AWESOME ENDING WAS AWESOME

So sad now it's over T-T

TitanAura
03-29-2009, 05:06 PM
I just found out this anime is getting it's own video game. Due to these recent developments and the supposed epicness of the anime *according to you guys* I'll do the same thing I did with Code Geass and slowly make my way through it. Be warned that I'm not much of a fan of romantic comedies. I don't hate them, but I honestly can't say I'm a huge fan of them either. I'll have my criticisms but by the sounds of it, I'll probably enjoy it enough to let those complaints slide.

JesusRocks
03-30-2009, 09:38 PM
I'll probably enjoy it enough to let those complaints slide.

Here's hoping ^_^

caps
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
can this show be found on line? youtube, maybe?

JesusRocks
04-01-2009, 07:22 AM
can this show be found on line? youtube, maybe?

Yes it is on youtube... but if you want whole episodes, go for Veoh

exNyarth
04-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I wish there was a second season ^_^
But since the novels ended theres less chance theres gonna be one =(

TitanAura
04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Alright, I'll admit, though many of the jokes are suspiciously familiar from older animes, the execution is right on the money. I'm only 2 episodes in but I'm currently intrigued. I will give it a chance to impress.

TitanAura
04-02-2009, 03:20 AM
Cultural Festival 3 part story arc. Pure epic win. I am utterly stunned. That is all.

*EDIT*
An additional observation:
I've also noticed that there is no mention of any of the characters grades considering the story is about children in High School. Finally, a story that realizes that it's audience doesn't give a fuck about the academic well being of fictional cartoon people. We've all seen the "oh noes I failed a test, I shall now cry a river of tears" joke a million times. I say it's about damn time a series gives it's whole focus on the characters and the most important events in their lives rather than the trivial bullshit that happens on an every day basis. I think it's one of the reasons I liked Haruhi overall as well although that series wandered quite a bit.... I mean one of the episodes was Kyon picking up a heater and NOTHING ELSE.

TitanAura
04-04-2009, 12:59 AM
Alright, I'll admit it, win series was win.

Before I give it my true complements I'm going to give my complaints. The supporting cast. I didn't feel they were as developed as well as they could have been, specifically Minori Kushieda and Yusaku Kitamura.

Minori's really over-the-top and very passionate about everything but even early on it was hinted that everything about her attitude is a disguise to hide her true emotions. Despite that, in my opinion, her mask seems more firmly in place than even Ami, who's entire character was based around having a fake outward attitude. She did, however, have EXTREMELY well placed moments of appropriate RAGE that made me forget anything about her personality that I didn't like. Especially in the events leading up to the incredible finale.

Yusaku however felt out of place the entire time and in many ways was a common mary sue considering he seems perfectly average and yet he's one of the best students, all of the girls love him, and he has clairvoyant knowledge of what's happening. To me, it felt like he was there because the author was mandated to have a character who's intelligence is based solely upon his glasses. Remember, in anime, glasses = smart. Oh and the whole thing about Taiga having a crush on him yada yada yada. But then again, somehow it actually feels like the fact that he's a mary sue is being played off of as a humorous gesture like when they go to Ami's villa over their break.

Ami Kawashima I actually liked somewhat because her popularity in school was counter balanced by her shitty personality that slowly develops into sincere feelings over time. It's neither too fast, nor contrived. She too has seemingly clairvoyant knowledge of what's happening however it appears that most of her knowledge is based upon assumptions and guesswork and sometimes she proves to be wrong such as when she confronts Minori. She can accurately guess what events transpired but she cannot truly know why someone acts the way they do or what they are truly feeling.

Now for the make or break element of the story, the main characters. To be perfectly blunt, both Ryuji Takasu and Taiga Aisaka are perfectly well rounded. However Taiga's name bothers me because something that has always irked me about romantic comedies and anime in general is the fact that even the NAMES have to be puns. Knock it off and just give these people normal names! But that's something I won't hold against any individual series because the vast majority of writers do it. Anyways, both of them are sympathetic and act exactly how you'd expect them to in any given situation. None of their actions are contrived and that is incredibly important.

If you haven't figured it out already, I've made the focus of this series overview about the characters rather than the plot. Obviously, this is because the storyline is character driven. Character driven is how almost every story should be. 90% of a story should focus on the characters and their development while the other 10% focuses on the stuff that happens in their lives. Throughout ToraDora there are really only a handful of events and only 2-3 major events (story arcs rather) that tie everything together. The story arcs in question are the School Festival, the Christmas Party, and everything from the school trip to the end.

The only "problem" with the story is that the ending is obvious. Just about anyone could see it coming long before it ever happens. I'm extremely honest about when I'm surprised about plot developements. If I'm surprised by something, I make it known such as after I saw the School Festival arc. I listed it as a possibility after the first episode and I pinpointed it as the most likely ending after the School Festival arc *you can never be 100% sure*. However, that doesn't cheapen it in any way. It's fine if it's predictable, it's still a great story. It doesn't HAVE to be the reveal of the century because telling a story isn't about outwitting your audience.... it's about presenting it with the best execution possible. Even a simple story like "guy meets girl" can be brilliant when executed properly.

Checkmate
04-04-2009, 01:03 AM
you can type a lot

JesusRocks
04-04-2009, 06:01 AM
O_O TitanAura just made the only WIN triplepost in existence.

Kudos. I'm glad you liked to series. ^_^

TitanAura
04-04-2009, 01:31 PM
O_O TitanAura just made the only WIN triplepost in existence.

Kudos. I'm glad you liked to series. ^_^

Indeed. When I feel a topic is worth talking about, it's worth talking about in full detail. I'm extremely analytical about everything.

@Checkmate: You must be new here.

TitanAura
04-07-2009, 12:46 AM
Is there really no more to be said about this series or did I seriously kill the discussion by hitting the ball out of the park with my observations?

Elliot Gale
04-07-2009, 12:50 AM
I think it's pretty much that combined with the fact that the community IS rather small...

Haruta is my hero btw. :8V:

TitanAura
04-07-2009, 12:53 AM
I think it's pretty much that combined with the fact that the community IS rather small...

Haruta is my hero btw. :8V:
WHAAAA?! This is unacceptable! I MUST MAKE IT KNOWN! *rides out on stallion*

Elliot Gale
04-07-2009, 12:55 AM
The community, meaning the abridged community, if that wasn't clear. Has any other anime thread made it past page two yet? :S

Blaydrix
04-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I still haven't watched the finale yet...

TitanAura
04-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I still haven't watched the finale yet...
Do so. Even if you know how it'll end. Do so. Words cannot do it justice.

Blaydrix
04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I'll have to save it until tomorrow, I can't watch it now... but I would if I could.

JesusRocks
04-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I'll have to save it until tomorrow, I can't watch it now... but I would if I could.

Also, remember to wait until the end of the credits >_>

Blaydrix
04-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Watched it. Epicness. Don't have anything more to say than TitanAura, but "d'AAAAAAAWW!"

TitanAura
04-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Watched it. Epicness. Don't have anything more to say than TitanAura, but "d'AAAAAAAWW!"

inorite? Taiga is so adorable. Even though she has a loli design, she technically isn't loli-bait considering she'd pound anyone who says otherwise.... which brings up another element of this anime I want to talk about. Fighting. Literal combat in High School.

Think about it.

Guy vs Guy = They're just sizing each other up and don't really want to get hurt so they actually AVOID it as much as possible. When things DO become serious though, they just sorta throw a couple punches and when they get pulled apart by classmates/teachers, they put no effort into continuing the fight. The best example is Ryuji's encounters with other male students near the beginning. Guys are wimps. It's a fact of life.

Girl vs Girl aka Catfights? .......GvG = STAY THE FUCK AWAY. When two girls fight, they do so with the sole intention of inflicting as much PAIN on their opponent as quickly and as viciously as possible in what little time they have before someone intervenes, but not even that will stop the fighting. Girls will even attack the people who get in their way. They'll bite, scratch, kick, pull hair, gouge eyes, or whatever else it takes to continue dishing out punishment. It happens not once, but TWICE in the series. Taiga vs Kano and Ami vs Minori, the first being a clear example of what I just described, the second being less extreme because that was pent up frustration and misunderstandings rather than prolonged hatred.

Come on guys, I'm throwing out fodder here, discuss!

Elliot Gale
04-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Taiga vs. Kano felt a little over the top at the time. Ami vs. Minori was inevitable since Ami is... well, Ami. However, despite what anyone might think of both cases, I believe that these fights were necessary to the development of the characters. It's just one of many things that makes them more real.

TitanAura
04-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Taiga vs. Kano felt a little over the top at the time. Ami vs. Minori was inevitable since Ami is... well, Ami. However, despite what anyone might think of both cases, I believe that these fights were necessary to the development of the characters. It's just one of many things that makes them more real.

The beginning of the Taiga vs Kano fight was over the top, what with running on top of desks and kendo style combat, but I'm talking about after they lose their swords and start using their FISTS. Shit hits the fan.

Elliot Gale
04-10-2009, 12:43 AM
I can't really say anything about the fight itself, but, it's nice that something such as that was included because these things do in fact happen in the real world.

Blaydrix
04-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Oh God, I've seen Girl vs. Girl fights in real life, those things DO get violent. Most of the Guy/Guy fights I've seen are stupid... rolling the on the floor, desperate attempts at hitting the opponent. BUT THOSE BITCHES ARE MEAN.

Yeah, the Taiga vs Kano fight was a huge point in the series, it really kept the plot going. Plus I'm a fan of fighting anime/manga anyway.

Turtlicious
04-10-2009, 04:43 PM
ehhh i was iffy on the series but then im into a different genre

starts with an h ends in an i

yeah im a perv too bad you guys can only luv me for it because i am a cut turtle

JesusRocks
04-10-2009, 05:46 PM
The fights were awesome... more raw than I've seen in other anime... also I agree that the beginning of the Taiga/Kano fight was a little OTT, but the rest of the fight rescued it.

Toradora isn't the kind of anime that has epicly over the top martial-art-style-plus-ki-blast-type fighting... the type of story that it is kind of makes you expect a more raw, real-style of fight sequence.

TitanAura
12-23-2009, 01:21 AM
ehhh i was iffy on the series but then im into a different genre

starts with an h ends in an i

yeah im a perv too bad you guys can only luv me for it because i am a cut turtle
ewwwww beastiality.

*stealth bump*

JesusRocks
12-24-2009, 02:43 PM
The thread remains open because Tora Dora is still awesome :V

0mnislash17
12-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Been meaning to post here. Saw ToraDora awhile back and loved it. I still think Shuffle! is better but this one definitely gave it a run for it's money, if not parred it in my books. The comedy mixed with romance was excellent ^_^.

Mokuba Kaiba's Girl
12-24-2009, 05:04 PM
WHOOP WHOOP! I love Toradora!

JesusRocks
12-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I remember watching Tora Dora when it was still at episode 10... I wish there had been an anime I could have gotten into this year though ._.

killshot
12-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I remember watching Tora Dora when it was still at episode 10... I wish there had been an anime I could have gotten into this year though ._.

Same. Tora Dora was one of the last animes I've watched.

Blaydrix
12-25-2009, 11:36 AM
I remember the excruciating wait each week for the new episode. Ah, good times... good times.

TitanAura
12-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I remember the excruciating wait each week for the new episode. Ah, good times... good times.
Remember when bleach used to be awesome? Yeah.... good times.

Blaydrix
12-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Remember when bleach used to be awesome? Yeah.... good times.
I vaguely remember that. Remember when Naruto was awesome?

Waitaminit...

TitanAura
12-27-2009, 12:27 AM
I vaguely remember that. Remember when Naruto was awesome?

Waitaminit...
I c wut u did thar. :thatface:

Blaydrix
12-30-2009, 10:39 PM
nPYQ4FKvgsk

Blaydrix
02-17-2010, 08:36 PM
So it seems ToraDora! is getting a dub by new anime dubbing company NIS America, famous for their video games, now branching into other areas.

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2010-02-11/nis-america-to-release-anime-titles-in-north-america

Mitsuru-Senpai
03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Yosha, Toradora is still Love *_*
Taiga is completly WRIN, and also Ryuuji, Minorin, Ami-chan, Sumire and Inpo-chan |D

And I love Taigas Seiyuu, Rie Kugimiya **

Blaydrix
03-23-2010, 05:24 AM
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! ToraDora DVD is on presale... 13 episodes for $60... and there is no dub...

TitanAura
03-23-2010, 08:31 PM
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! ToraDora DVD is on presale... 13 episodes for $60... and there is no dub...
Boo!

Elliot Gale
03-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Boo indeed. =(