PDA

View Full Version : Cryptozoology

Nutty
03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
As I am a big fan of cryptozoology I wonder if anyone here also shows interest

Cryptozoology is by definition The study of animals whose existence has not been proved. These animals have been a global phenominan such as Bigfoot, the lochness monster, Ogopogo, and Ulama

RationalInquirer
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
I agree, the field of Cryptozoology is very interesting and may yield strange findings about our world. I'm pretty sure that most of the cryptids that have been allegedly sighted are probably overgrown or slightly mutated versions of common species. However, there may be genuine cryptids out in the world that actually exist.

Tatterdemalion
03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I agree, the field of Cryptozoology is very interesting and may yield strange findings about our world. I'm pretty sure that most of the cryptids that have been allegedly sighted are probably overgrown or slightly mutated versions of common species. However, there may be genuine cryptids out in the world that actually exist.

But the entire thing is pretty much an affront to science, isn't it?

That is to say, a discipline dedicated to the investigation of animals that do not exist...isn't that a bit very wrong? That is to say, I always thought that the scientifically responsible thing to do was to discover a species, catalogue its existence, then study it, as opposed to studying preconcieved species, with the hopes of later being able to discover it. Am I the only one who sees the inherent backwardness to this whole process?

I mean, mightn't they just as readily go out looking for a Flying Spaghetti Monster?

RationalInquirer
03-08-2009, 06:40 PM
But the entire thing is pretty much an affront to science, isn't it?

That is to say, a discipline dedicated to the investigation of animals that do not exist...isn't that a bit very wrong? That is to say, I always thought that the scientifically responsible thing to do was to discover a species, catalogue its existence, then study it, as opposed to studying preconcieved species, with the hopes of later being able to discover it. Am I the only one who sees the inherent backwardness to this whole process?

I mean, mightn't they just as readily go out looking for a Flying Spaghetti Monster?

You are correct. Don't be expecting institutions or government to be funding projects related to Cryptozoology. It is considered a pseudoscience by the scientific community. It's more of an interesting concept than to be too treated seriously.