PDA

View Full Version : Monster

killshot
03-15-2009, 08:35 PM
This series is absolutely amazing and there really should be a topic about it. I have only watched the anime, but I hear it is very similar to the manga. This topic is for the discussion of one of the greatest stories ever written.

Dr. Kenzo Tenma is a talented brain surgeon at a hospital in Dusseldorf, Germany. The story begins when Dr. Tenma performs surgery on a young boy who was shot in the head during a horrific event that left the boy's adoptive parents dead and his twin sister traumatized. Tenma saves the boy, and the hospital is plagued by some mysterious deaths soon after the boy runs away with his sister. Nine years later, Tenma comes face to face with the boy he saved. He introduces himself as Johan Liebert after Tenma witnesses him kill one of his patients. After their brief encounter, Tenma leaves the hospital in order to track down the "Monster" he had saved and to correct the mistake he made when he saved his life.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-18-2009, 03:31 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://leahscritique.com/__oneclick_uploads/2008/12/monster-poster.jpg&imgrefurl=http://leahscritique.com/2008/12/08/&usg=__wRxM4XuqoIYyCSyoef3Re1-W6S4=&h=476&w=320&sz=20&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=ph3FWMhQTSDnNM:&tbnh=129&tbnw=87&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmonster%2Banime%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4 GZEZ_en-GB%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1 Is this the same one you are talking about? I've never seen it but if it's the same one then I'll definitely go look for it.

killshot
03-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes, that's it! I highly recommend watching it even though it may seem a bit long. Trust me, its worth it in the end.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Spiffy. I'll have to see if I can find it. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere.

killshot
03-20-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't think the anime has been licensed outside of Japan, but the manga is pretty common in bookstores that have a decent selection of graphic novels. If you are looking to purchase the anime legally, then I don't know if there has been any talk of an English license.

According to wikipedia, there may be a live action movie adaptation of the series. It could be good as long as they don't try to cover too much of the story in such a small amount of time.

bluecheese
03-20-2009, 07:55 PM
i started watching it, thought it was actually really good, you know, finally found something that isn't cliche to the max and it would last me a good 70+ episodes in watching. About half way through (ambiguous spoilers approaching, they arn't that bad though) my interest in it plummeted i think they really stretched their poetic license with the cross dressing and i swear to god i felt like punching myself 10k times every time someone would stutter when saying somebodies name as if it were condemned to do so (e.g. F-F-F-F-Franz B-B-B-B-Bonaparta ARGGGG *facepalm*). Plus the story got dull because there seemed to be so much unnecessary filler (it doesn't look like filler while watching tbh but really i don't see how it had to drag on for 70+ episodes). Yeah yeah it was a dedicated anime to the original manga, duplicating it to perfection so no deviations there, either way, still felt like it dragged on and on.

Depends on who you are and your preferences, i'd prefer anyone considering watching it to not be hindered by its amass amount of episodes or least of all my opinion, you never know it might be what your looking for. The live action movie is probably a good move because theres nothing fancy to it, would make a very good Japanese equivalent to American shows like Prison Break and 24. Plus they would filter a lot of the unnecessary filler, just hoping it doesn't turn out like the Death Note movies *shudder*.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-24-2009, 11:44 AM
How many episodes are there? I found someone who was uploading them on youtube but I think he only got up to 3 or something.

killshot
03-24-2009, 12:36 PM
There are 74 episodes.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh wow so he's missing alot. o.o

PBnSpots
03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
I found an English dub of it! But it's dubbed by Viz...I mean thay did okay with Bleach and Death Note and Inuyasha but I dont trust them with most other anime. But I'm hoping that means Monster will be released in the US soon...

Ohara
03-19-2010, 12:07 AM
^ Even if you're not used to it, you really should make a habit of watching subs. I used to look for dubs, too, but later on I realized just how badly I was kidding myself.

Anyway, this series sounds brilliant. Will definitely be needing to check it out sometime...

Lord Shmeckie
03-22-2010, 12:20 AM
I really need to start reading this series again. It was fuggin' amazing, I don't know why I stopped, and as someone who loves him some villains, Johan is great, great stuff.

And I'm none too worried about the dub. Viz's manga department may suck, but they do some great dub work. Death Note was impeccable, for instance. I get the feeling Monster would be handled similarly.

90HeroMAXD
03-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Mary Shelly eat your heart out.

Just sayin.

I have yet to read the manga, but just with Killshots description just reminded me of Frankenstein

killshot
03-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Hey, my topic was revived. I've seen a bit of the dub and while its not bad, I prefer the subbed version. Tenma's English voice doesn't sound right to me and they absolutely raped Grimmer's voice. This is particularly unfortunate because Grimmer is one of the best characters in the show.

Its not really like Frankenstein, but I can definitely see where you would get that impression.