PDA

View Full Version : Should We Have To Do Homework?

berober04
03-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm currently in my final year of High School, going onto college next year, I've had some concrete form of homework each school for 10 years now (eg. Not bringing in elastic bands for a cardboard box guitar) and I've always been understanding of setting homework, never do it but I understand it ;). Anyways, I think there are valid reasons for and against setting homework, but I want the views of people who maybe teach or are now out of education. Should Teachers still set homework?

CELTIC
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Yes they should. Homework allows those that do it to revise the things they had learned that day. I hate it but I know it's for my own good. The majority of people that never do there homework are often the one that fail the final exams

berober04
03-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Yes, but if Homework is there to measure your understanding of the lesson, then surely taking up the last 5 minutes to all work individually on a question could have the same effect? My school offers support lessons during free periods and anybody struggling on the question can turn up and work on it there. If the student doesn't do the homework, it doesn't automatically mean they've failed, it might be a slight cause for concern, or there may be a valid excuse.

TPishek
03-16-2009, 02:09 PM
I usually have to do something before I can understand it completely. Most of the professors here don't collect homework, but they do have tests and exams, and in all honesty, doing my homework is pretty much the only way I ever study. Ergo, if I didn't do homework, I would probably be failing right now.
But it is rather a nuisance, isn't it? Much like sleeping. Man I wish I didn't have to sleep; it wastes so much time.... xD

Titan50
03-16-2009, 02:11 PM
You shouldn't have to go home from school and do MORE work. Why not just lengthen the school day? Hometime should be a time for rest, and to focus on your personal life and spare time

TPishek
03-16-2009, 02:15 PM
...well, those of us at college live at school, so that would be difficult to do.
You have be able to learn time management.

berober04
03-16-2009, 02:16 PM
I understand doing revision coming up to exams, but homework is an unnecessary usage of our free time. If anything, school is meant to prepare us for the 40 years after, so why not make homework based around regular work and real life problems, such as finance or jobs. That way we get the choice of whether or not to bother and we don't ignore citizenship lessons that are mean't to help but don't because of the perception of it as a doss lesson

Fat1Fared
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
well I am now in Uni and so there is no such thing as homework, but we do have to prepear our own info for lesssons and it is easy to tell who has and who hasn't,

and so going down to school level, though it may not seem important, it is good practise for when have to go do things yourself at uni and even in lower education when have things such as Coursework

I think that the helping to understand info, is there, but its main advantage comes from helping you be self-reliant (as your teach won't be able to help once leave)

Going onto your last, point, that is different area altogether, that is more looking at, is what we are tort useful, and really to late in day (after 10-7 lectures) to bother telling your info on that

caps
03-16-2009, 04:54 PM
from my experience, during school all the people beg the teachers for help or copy of each other. they do that less when they're at home. they can't ask for help, and they can ask a friend but...you can't solve everything. so the teachers are really just making sure you know the materials. as long as it isn't buisy work.

DaJacksterN
03-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I say they assign homework for the sake of saying "We gave you a chance to do better, so shut up and don't complain if you didn't do it and failed."
Basically, it's a personal choice to do it or not, just don't whine and complain if you shun it and crap out.
I do my homework most of the time and get A's, and generally those who don't do their homework fail (save for the odd genious or two) so I guess there's a trend.

FanMan
03-16-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm still in highschool but I think that homework should be given, it helps students really understand the material that they are learning. But I have one teacher that gives so much work for one night that it really is torture and has deprieved me of sleep. I can only sleep at least three or four hours and that's not good. Homework should be given out but to a certain extent and amount.

HolyShadow
03-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Homework should be given to people who need it, not to people who can pass tests with absolutely no trouble whatsoever.

Personally, I do homework about 20% of the time. I pass every single test and quiz, and do so perfectly. I do every bit of work in class and do perfectly in that. I do experiments and help massively. I never study.

Yet I'm losing compared to people who are obviously struggling and do that homework because they have to. See the problem here?

yamiangie
03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
As much as i hate and often didn't do it i think we should be assisned homework. The teacher can't cover everthing in class and you do need to pass those evil state exams. Also most schools have it forced in as a important chunk of your grade.

If anything teachers should not make you copy the questons you are answering onto the paper you have to turn in or use carbon paper for math. Let them photo copy you'd notice if it wasn't the orginal turned in or not their handwritting. Those are the things that made me not want to do homework.

Tatterdemalion
03-16-2009, 10:51 PM
It depends, there are some instances in which homework and work done outside of school is good, and some where it's wasteful.

I'd say the most significant part of homework is reading. Now, that includes literature for an English class, but also, more generally, textbook reading is very necessary for most classes. That is, you get the most out of it, and it's directly relevant to the class. There are also things like reading comprehension questions and such that go along with reading, which I'd say are more acrutch than anything else, but at the same time, most of the teachers I've spoken to say they assign that sort of material because if they don't then their students won't read the textbook at all. And I can understand that, although I personally think it would be a better idea to just let them not read the textbook, then let them fail the class. Or just kick them out of school altogether, that's always a plus.

Then there's homework with things like language, grammar and mathematics, that are more just frilling than anything else. The thing is that in these areas that sort of familiarity through practice isn't a bad idea, so I suppose it's justified, but at the same time going too far with it, or assigning too much of it, ends up doing more harm than good.

And, of course, there are always essays. Essays are good for you, considering they're probably the best way for a teacher to evaluate what you've learned (better than tests), as well as being a good organizational tool for information that may be on later exams. So essays are a definite plus.

The rest you can pretty much do away with.

But as far as the question of whether you should have to do homework or not, technically speaking you don't have to do anything. You're just asked to do homework. Whether or not you do it is entirely up to you.

Fat1Fared
03-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Homework should be given to people who need it, not to people who can pass tests with absolutely no trouble whatsoever.

Personally, I do homework about 20% of the time. I pass every single test and quiz, and do so perfectly. I do every bit of work in class and do perfectly in that. I do experiments and help massively. I never study.

Yet I'm losing compared to people who are obviously struggling and do that homework because they have to. See the problem here?

Holy, like I said, a lot of time, homework is not there to teach you anything, yes it can help a teacher see if class understands what has been tort, but that is about it, it there to help teach you to be self-reliant and how learn/work on your own. If what you say is ture, then you are very lucky, in that you are naturally very smart, but you will find, as I have now found, being smart isn't always enough,

Luckily for me, I have always had high work-rate, because I go crazy, and to few things I bother doing, I will always give 110%, however at same time, in school, I found, I could easily stroll my way through, and got good grades (though no where near as good as should have been, but that was my own fault, for other reasons, which are nothing to do with this) and strolled into Uni, but I am now finding, that if I don't work, with that 110% effort, I will fail, and that is because it is no longer just learning info...etc from teacher, it is now down to me to be my own teacher

And it will only go up another level when get to work, do you think that if I get training contract at lawyers firm and they give me a job, do you think I will then be able to say, I cannot do that, please help me?

Homework is what I see as starting point to self-reliance and trust me, it will help you, even if you find work easy, it will help give you a work ethic/ability to find out how to do something yourself

Zairak
03-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Homework...I think it's a good idea, but not the way they do it now. I believe they should set homework, but not include it in the final grade.

Ideally, the teacher would assign homework out of the textbook daily that has to do with the lesson for the day. Then, the next day, the teacher takes up the homework, reviews them to see what the general trend is in missed problems, and attempts to cover that area better the next day. The teacher would, from this, be able to understand the troubles individual students are having, and modify their individual homework assignments that way, with a focus on the problem area.

I also don't believe essays should be included in the final grade, for that matter, based on the same principle. They should be assigned more frequently, though.

As far as that goes, tests should be the only things that are graded. All other exercises in the classroom are better fit for teaching the child. Further, if tests are the only thing you are graded on, it would seem logical that you would study your best for them, and look upon homework and essays as an oppurtunity for studying, not an assignment that could hurt your grade.

Regarding the complaints about having to do schoolwork outside of the classroom: That makes no sense at all. For one, it has been shown that repeatedly studying a certain area of a subject with breaks inbetween actually increases the learning rate. This attitude seems to reflect the lack of a desire to learn.

narutostarwars
03-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Well, if we do homework then there is NO NEED for TESTS. Why have both homework and tests when they're on the SAME THING. I see NO purpose for having this retarded setup. Have it one way or the other. NOT BOTH.

Fat1Fared
03-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Homework...I think it's a good idea, but not the way they do it now. I believe they should set homework, but not include it in the final grade.

Ideally, the teacher would assign homework out of the textbook daily that has to do with the lesson for the day. Then, the next day, the teacher takes up the homework, reviews them to see what the general trend is in missed problems, and attempts to cover that area better the next day. The teacher would, from this, be able to understand the troubles individual students are having, and modify their individual homework assignments that way, with a focus on the problem area.

I also don't believe essays should be included in the final grade, for that matter, based on the same principle. They should be assigned more frequently, though.

As far as that goes, tests should be the only things that are graded. All other exercises in the classroom are better fit for teaching the child. Further, if tests are the only thing you are graded on, it would seem logical that you would study your best for them, and look upon homework and essays as an oppurtunity for studying, not an assignment that could hurt your grade.

Regarding the complaints about having to do schoolwork outside of the classroom: That makes no sense at all. For one, it has been shown that repeatedly studying a certain area of a subject with breaks inbetween actually increases the learning rate. This attitude seems to reflect the lack of a desire to learn.

I take you are on about Coursework, I wouldn't be so quick to demiss coursework, (though being a boy, you are 50% more likely to do that and 30% more likely to fail it lol) as coursework, though harder than exams, has lot less pressure on it and you can do it more in own time,

NSW, no offense but evidencie shows that it helps, a lot for children to have both, and their is actually gender issues behind it, however I am about to go to pub, so I will tell you about it later,

Zairak
03-17-2009, 09:09 AM
I take you are on about Coursework, I wouldn't be so quick to demiss coursework, (though being a boy, you are 50% more likely to do that and 30% more likely to fail it lol) as coursework, though harder than exams, has lot less pressure on it and you can do it more in own time,

NSW, no offense but evidencie shows that it helps, a lot for children to have both, and their is actually gender issues behind it, however I am about to go to pub, so I will tell you about it later,

I'm not sure if I get your meaning... I never said to take coursework (homework) out of the classroom. I merely said that it shouldn't be taken up for a grade, and should instead be used to teach the students in preparation for the tests. If anything, I advocated more homework and essays.

killshot
03-17-2009, 09:23 AM
I think homework is a good idea. Some subjects are best learned by practice and repetition. Courses that have a large math component require some time to be spent learning how to deal with different problem set-ups. It isn't always practical to spend class time reviewing practice problems. There is a limited amount of class time and it needs to be used wisely.

I would say that homework is usually a good thing unless it is either excessive or just plain redundant. In highschool, you shouldn't have to spend more than 1-2 hours on homework every night, and probably no more than 5-6 hours a week. College is a little different, but the most time is spent preparing for exams and not necessarily on homework. Homework is there to help you so it really shouldn't be see as a pain.

Fat1Fared
03-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure if I get your meaning... I never said to take coursework (homework) out of the classroom. I merely said that it shouldn't be taken up for a grade, and should instead be used to teach the students in preparation for the tests. If anything, I advocated more homework and essays.

Well I felt from your comments, you didn't like coursework, and felt it was harder on some poeple, meaning shouldn't be examed, but I am saying though work set may be harder in general, there is advantages to doing coursework as well as exams, aspically for poeple who hate exams

Personally, I seem to be about level in both, but I know poeple who are woeful at one and really good at other

DarthWario
03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Speaking as a student I have an undying hatred for homework, but I do see the neccesity.
Especially on such a thing like coursework where doing it in-class is almost nigh impossible. Or when students don't do the work in class and think they can get away with negligence.

OMGWTFBBQ
03-17-2009, 03:26 PM
I think that if you have to do work at school, then they shouldn't ruin our social lives by giving us loads of homework. Obviously coursework and revision is essential but homework for other years is just unneeded.

HolyShadow
03-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Holy, like I said, a lot of time, homework is not there to teach you anything, yes it can help a teacher see if class understands what has been tort, but that is about it, it there to help teach you to be self-reliant and how learn/work on your own. If what you say is ture, then you are very lucky, in that you are naturally very smart, but you will find, as I have now found, being smart isn't always enough,

Luckily for me, I have always had high work-rate, because I go crazy, and to few things I bother doing, I will always give 110%, however at same time, in school, I found, I could easily stroll my way through, and got good grades (though no where near as good as should have been, but that was my own fault, for other reasons, which are nothing to do with this) and strolled into Uni, but I am now finding, that if I don't work, with that 110% effort, I will fail, and that is because it is no longer just learning info...etc from teacher, it is now down to me to be my own teacher

And it will only go up another level when get to work, do you think that if I get training contract at lawyers firm and they give me a job, do you think I will then be able to say, I cannot do that, please help me?

Homework is what I see as starting point to self-reliance and trust me, it will help you, even if you find work easy, it will help give you a work ethic/ability to find out how to do something yourself
Who says I rely on the teacher? I highly prefer to teach myself everything, because otherwise, I have to stay awake in classes while trying to pay attention to the teacher repeat the same thing 8 times when I understood the first because some people are too busy chatting to pay attention.

College sounds like it'll be a lot more fun than high school, because then I'll actually have a challenge.

Unfortunately, on average, I've found that I get much higher grades in classes that homework is worth very little. On the other hand, I get lower grades in classes that homework is extremely important.

Trying hard is important, I suppose, and i'll have to. For now, though, I'll just rest.

Fat1Fared
03-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Who says I rely on the teacher? I highly prefer to teach myself everything, because otherwise, I have to stay awake in classes while trying to pay attention to the teacher repeat the same thing 8 times when I understood the first because some people are too busy chatting to pay attention.

College sounds like it'll be a lot more fun than high school, because then I'll actually have a challenge.

Unfortunately, on average, I've found that I get much higher grades in classes that homework is worth very little. On the other hand, I get lower grades in classes that homework is extremely important.

Trying hard is important, I suppose, and i'll have to. For now, though, I'll just rest.

Holy, as long as your willing to look after yourself and work with yourself, then you probably will do well at Uni (collage for you) as though depending on what you do, you will almost def hate lectures, but you will love tutorials, because your suppose to almost teach the teacher in them, basically, say what know about subject at hand

Of course it will depend, where and what you study

xellos88
03-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Homework is necessary because when most people are kids they dont think "im gonna study more on my own so i can get better!", most need to be "forced" to study when they leave school. But i agree with what Holy said, i hated when in math class(for example) i already understood something but since some(most :P) of my classmatess didnt whe had to do another 20 or 30 problems. And i do prefer University for the reasons Fat1Fared said

Tatterdemalion
03-17-2009, 08:15 PM

On this I would have to disagree.

First off, assigning homework out of the textbook that has to do with the lesson that day doesn't make any sense. A textbook is called a textbook because it's the book that contains the text that contains the information that you're trying to learn. So what's the point in assigning reading with regards to material that you've already covered in class?

To thecontrary, I find that it works far better to use the textbook as a starting point, assigning reading in the textbook for the general material, then devoting class time to a very brief recapitulation and, more importantly, to expand on the material, and include what the textbook doesn't cover. Otherwise the whole thing would just be hopelessly redundant, and defeats the purpose of even having the textbook. Or rather, the purpose of having class.

And as far as using homework as an assessment tool, that whole business seems a bit pointless.

To begin with, questions taken out of the textbook aren't exactly a useful assesment tool, considering that the students are literally reading the textbook before/as they answer them. End-of-chapter questions in a textbook are more of an exercise than anything else, to the extent that they don't actually test one's understanding of the material so much as they provide a line of thought with regards to the material itself.

If you want to actually gauge students' understanding of the material, you'd be better off having some sort of test to serve as an assessment. That is, if you want to go that route.

But at the same time, I don't see the point in going to such great lengths to try to evaluate each student's strengths and weaknesses. That is, periodical testing I understand, beyond that it seems to be a waste.

What this system you're proposing does is it takes any and all supposings of responsibility of the student, and transforms it into unnecessary work on the teacher's part that only slows things down.

If you're a student who is at the point of being in middle school or high school, then you're probably not a complete moron. That being said, you have the capacity to know when you understand something and when you don't. That is to say, if I have a textbook, and I have questions to answer at the end of the chapter, I can tell for myself whether I find them confusing or not. I don't need a teacher to grade my answers to questions for me to know this, I can figure it out for myself, considering I'm the one who's actually answering them.

That being said, just by reading the textbook, and answering some questions on my own. I can tell whether or not I understand something. And if I don't understand something, then I can ask for clarification on what I don't understand, starting first with my peers/classmates and, if that fails, the teacher.

You don't need this whole system of teaching, then homework, then assessment, then review, then more homework assessment, and so on and so forth. I have an idea that's even easier. It goes like this:

1. Assign reading in the textbook.
2. Assign questions from the textbook.
3. The next day in class, answer questions that students may have about the material.
4. Devote that day's lesson to the material that was read about.

If you are having trouble in a particular area, then it's your responsibility to fix it, either through review, or tutoring, or collaboration with other students or, most importantly, through asking for clarification. If you are incapable of doing at least one of those things, you're simply incompetent.

I disagree, for two reasons. 1., essays are more effective at demonstrating a student's understanding of the material than exams, and 2., a test is not going to be able to cover all of the material covered in a class, hence the purpose of in-class activities, which make it possible for a particular topic to be both studied in depth and graded in depth, by devoting a single activity/project to it, as opposed to only asking a question or two about it on an exam.

The thing about tests is that they're hardly an effective tool for measuring a student's understanding of material. That is, questions are terribly one dimensional, and, with the exception of mathematics, generally do not demonstrate understanding of a larger concept. An essay, on the other hand, requires a person to discuss a particular topic in detail, and demonstrate a well rounded understanding of it by being able to not only recite facts about it, but by being able to connect these facts to demonstrate a fluid understanding and detailed analysis of any subject.

That is, let's take history, for example, because that's an area I like. Now, with regards to something like the New Deal, you could have 50 questions on an exam, such as "What effect did the Wagner Act have on organized labor" or "How did the PWA impact the American economy, but all of these are separate, disjointed thoughts which a person could easily memorize by rote, but which does not necessarily indicate a thorough understanding of the material.

However, if you were to replace an exam like that with an essay, asking to "Describe the causes and effects of the New Deal," you're telling a student to not only incorporate all of the information that they learned, and to express it on their own, without being given names and the like, but you're also forcing them to express the relationship between them and, most importantly, to draw conclusions about the material at hand.

Overall, essays are simply more effective than exams.

HolyShadow
03-17-2009, 08:40 PM
There are many tactics for stuff like this.

One I thought of is:

1. Assign reading in a textbook.
2. Assign questions on a worksheet, not the textbook. Usually, they'll just copy answers from the back of the book. Requiring work on every question seems unnecessarily time-consuming on the student's part. At least for Math.
3. Check the homework and give them the answers. Focus heavily on questions that they all seem to have troubles with, and quickly answer ones that students here or there have problems with.
4. If there's time, expand on the information slightly and give them the same subject of the work they did the night before a second time.
5. The next day, go over what you did the day before, and start moving on.

With your little tactic, you may spend a bit too much time trying to grasp a simple concept. Tell the students if they have problems, they can come see you. Give quizzes every now and then to see if they grasp the material, and go over the quizzes and the material on the quizzes to make sure they know the material. Give quizzes frequently so they don't weigh heavily and destroy someone's grade because they don't understand something.

Finally, essays do indeed ask for a lot more, but that can have negative consequences. Not everyone can handle a massive number of essays. It's good for honor students and such, but not for average ones.

DaJacksterN
03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Guess it's different from person to person. Whenever we cover a topic in class, then do work from the textbook, I find myself going well NO SHIT to almost every question, 'cause I know it already.

Then again, I've had a couple teachers that explain the lesson so poorly that we basically teach ourselves the material via homework and TB stuff.

FanMan
04-06-2009, 11:43 PM
You also have to take into consideration about the level of classes that you take. In some schools, including mine, there are programs called Honors and AP (Advance Placement). Honors includes doing more work and learning at a higher level, while AP is taking a college level course in High School. But because in my school there are a lot of students who wish to do good and make something of themselves and are faster learners. They decide to take Honors and/or AP, I am also in some of these classes myself, and the thing is that certain classes assign so much homework that it literally kills your sleep. This has been the problem that not only me, but other students find also.

But also because of the level of classes, students tend to get competitive and try to best the others and end up taking all major classes as Honors or AP (unfortunately, I'm one of them). Although it is good for college benefits and grades, it's negative effects are deprivation of sleep and many of the students have agreed on this and the amount of homework that is given in some classes, mostly history.

Although the homework helps challenge us and make us think at a higher level, it also has setbacks like losing sleep and losing a lot of free time to try and be the best. In our classes, the homework helps us understand the material that we are learning. So, it just also depends on the level of classes that you take and not just on how it depends on each person. It's possible, that in some sense, homework does help those who don't understand but of course, there are students in my grade who are smart enough to remember things or have learned these things when they were younger and don't really need to do homework. But in the AP and Honors classes, homework affects my grades considerably and the need to do better forces me to do my work.

Well, that's my opinion and view.

niknnik
04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm in my last year of Secondary school. At this point, We don't really learn anything. We just put what we have learnt to practice. Homework is therefore futile at my level, but we have so much coursework and revision to do, it might as well be homework. True enough, teachers tend to stop giving homework or at least give it less towards the end and I think it's fairly important.
But in lower years, or even higher where you start learning new things, it is important that you carry it on after school/college/whatever. They could perhaps give a little less homework as it is our free time, but I think homework is important nonetheless.

DANMAN
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Here's somewhat my idea of a balanced day

8 hours of fun
8 hours of work
8 hours of rest

we do about 8 hours of work in school. Homework could upset this balance, and I don't think one would be happy about that... except if the person liked to work more, that's understandable.

I would rather voluntarily do homework than make it mandatory.

Maybe just me.

Ohara
04-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I agree with homework to an extent, but when it gets to the point that all it's doing is putting endless stress on the student, it needs to be cut back a little.
And I disagree strongly with receiving punishment for not completing it (I know, discipline, blah, it's still crap).

EdBat
04-18-2009, 10:55 PM
You know what's cool? Not being in school. Not being in school means no homework. WHICH IS AWESOME!

Ishikawa Oshro
04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Homework is needed to keep information constantly in your brain and to keep your brain constantly working. It gets breaks from time to time but the more you read or focus on something the better retained it is inside your head.

Unless you have a photographic mind then your one of the lucky ones.

jelw7
05-10-2009, 01:25 AM

that is the exact same as me. I agree 100%

killshot
05-11-2009, 02:06 PM
that is the exact same as me. I agree 100%

This site is a hang out for people like this. I'd like to know what draws people of this type to the Abridged Series or to just anime in general.

jelw7
05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
This site is a hang out for people like this. I'd like to know what draws people of this type to the Abridged Series or to just anime in general.

Well for one, Anime is just awesome, two, my brother told me about this series one day and I watched the episodes and loved it.
but back to the homework thing, I believe handing out homework on the weekend is just plain unfair. I mean, we're working our but off 5 (mabye more or less depending on the school.) days a week already so we should be able to sit back and relax for a couple days once in a while. Now, if a person failed to finish an assignment during the week then since they were probobaly goofing off homework over the weekend would be fair to give to that person. However giving an assignment to work on during the weekend for the whole class I think is pushing it.

killshot
05-11-2009, 08:23 PM
How long do most of you spend doing homework? I've been out of school for a few years, but I don't remember having much homework at all, let alone an assignment that took longer than 20 minutes to complete. Aside from the occasional essay or term paper, time spent doing homework was pretty negligible.

Fat1Fared
05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Well for one, Anime is just awesome, two, my brother told me about this series one day and I watched the episodes and loved it.
but back to the homework thing, I believe handing out homework on the weekend is just plain unfair. I mean, we're working our but off 5 (mabye more or less depending on the school.) days a week already so we should be able to sit back and relax for a couple days once in a while. Now, if a person failed to finish an assignment during the week then since they were probobaly goofing off homework over the weekend would be fair to give to that person. However giving an assignment to work on during the weekend for the whole class I think is pushing it.

Arrrr, you poor soul, I bet the poeple in third world countries who work full time jobs from age of 12 to day they drop really feel for you:-

My, sister worked two jobs and did a Uni course at same time, having about 3-4 hours sleep a night, it called life deal with it

Seriously some of you are talking like we get a hard deal, we're bloody lucky and need to remember that, and this homework isn't just about teaching you the info mate, it is about teaching you to look after yourself,

-Self learning
-Time management
....etc and with your work ethic mate, even if you are as smart as you say you are, you won't get far, as life is hard at times, instead of moaning about it, think about how your still lucky and then do what can to deal with it problem (sometimes that takes effort)

jelw7
05-11-2009, 10:37 PM
How long do most of you spend doing homework? I've been out of school for a few years, but I don't remember having much homework at all, let alone an assignment that took longer than 20 minutes to complete. Aside from the occasional essay or term paper, time spent doing homework was pretty negligible.

Uggh...*thinks* I honestly don't know beacause some weeks I finish all my assignments during class and barely have any and some weeks i'm geting piled on with a bunch of homework from all of my classes and staying up past midnight doing all of it.

jelw7
05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Arrrr, you poor soul, I bet the poeple in third world countries who work full time jobs from age of 12 to day they drop really feel for you:-

My, sister worked two jobs and did a Uni course at same time, having about 3-4 hours sleep a night, it called life deal with it

Seriously some of you are talking like we get a hard deal, we're bloody lucky and need to remember that, and this homework isn't just about teaching you the info mate, it is about teaching you to look after yourself,

-Self learning
-Time management
....etc and with your work ethic mate, even if you are as smart as you say you are, you won't get far, as life is hard at times, instead of moaning about it, think about how your still lucky and then do what can to deal with it problem (sometimes that takes effort)

What am i not allowed to state my opinion?

HolyShadow
05-12-2009, 07:26 PM
What am i not allowed to state my opinion? anyway i'm only 11 so lay off.
>:V UNDERAGE

Turtlicious
05-12-2009, 07:58 PM

-Self learning
-Time management

i know exactly what you mean also if your eleven then fat1fared will rape you in your sleep he did it to me a few years back and he never stopped

Danni I. Sullivan
05-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't like homework, but I believe we should do it.
Especially seeing all the idiots in my class that have probably never touched a pencil in their lives.
-_-"
If we don't know how to do it without some one showing us every step, we're going to have a hard life.
The only homework I don't understand doing is book reports.

jelw7
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
i know exactly what you mean also if your eleven then fat1fared will rape you in your sleep he did it to me a few years back and he never stopped

...WTF?

QuirkBiscuits
05-17-2009, 01:35 PM
In our school, we are supposed to be given a minimum of half an hour of homework for each subject per week. I don't think this is nessecary.

Completion homework is fine, sometimes you just can't finish an essay/project in classtime.

Before tests, we are usually given sheets of sample questions and summaries, and it's our own choice whether we do it or not. I like this idea, because it's a good set-up for college/uni and means taking some responsibility, rather being forced into assignments and having your name logged if you don't do them. In my Graphic Communication class we have an interesting system. If you don't hand in three homeworks, you won't recieve any more during the course of the year. Of course some people just go "Woot, no homework!" but I suppose it gets them out of practise.

I think pupils who are obviously struggling in class should be given more homework to help them get up to speed. However, we work seven hours five days a week, and for people with busy home lives, people attending a lot of clubs, people working, and people with sleep deprivation half an hour of homework per class each week is pushing it. We need free time to keep us sane. And beauty sleep. Social lives are important too.

Wow, I had more to say about that than I thought I did.

I-like-that-word
05-17-2009, 03:04 PM
I think homework is in theory an excellent idea. Not only does it give the teachers an idea of how well you are doing in class it helps the student know whether or not they are struggling with a certain aspect of the course. Like here in Wales we're meant to do an average of 2 hours work a night (sadists see) . But it's getting the ones that don't work to do it that is the problem.

In theory though can't fault it.