PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Hunter D

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-18-2009, 03:40 AM
Yes Vampire Hunter D, the original badass. The stories of D revolve around a dunpeal. He is a cross of a human and a vampire. Little is known about D's past, but it is established that he is the son of the famous Dracula. D seems devoid of any and all emotions for the most part in Bloodlust, but if you have seen the original movie, you would know differently. While he may not talk about his feelings, or let us into his head to much, you can tell his feelings through his actions. All the stories revolve around D's job which is essentially killing vampires.
There are currently two movies: Vampire Hunter D, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Currently 11 books are out in english with more on the way.
A manga has also recently started concerning the Vampire Hunter.
There are also numerous artbooks by Yoshitaka Amano since he is responsible for D's character design.
Here is a trailer for Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3iqntgtaEM

And here is one for the original movie made back in the late eighties I believe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VDkDyW65rQ&feature=related (based on the first novel)

Please feel free to post your love for D.

Fat1Fared
03-18-2009, 07:42 AM
These are ok, some good fights and good side stories, however it is too much of the same old, same old, in terms of vampire story, really,

just manga's verison of any other sterotpyed and pre-set vampire story

mystra
03-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I had always wanted to watch the movie back in the 80's and just never did. I went to the anime fest in NYC last year and got a great deal the books...I bought them all. Can't wait for the next to come out in English!

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-19-2009, 03:19 PM
I had always wanted to watch the movie back in the 80's and just never did. I went to the anime fest in NYC last year and got a great deal the books...I bought them all. Can't wait for the next to come out in English!

Yeah, my boyfriend loves the books. I've only seen the animes. Though I still don't own the first one on Dvd. The old one is still great to this day though, and Bloodlust was amazing. D got a complete makeover.

Though Fat1Fared has a point, it's not for everyone. I know the animes have the same "vampires are evil" message, but you'll often find humans who do the same. Like one of the characters in the first one. I forgot his name but he has a mullet in the anime, he wants to be a vampire so he helps them along. Still, I think if you like Bram Stroker's Dracula and Hellsing, you'll like Vampire Hunter D.

TitanAura
03-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Even though I don't really pay that much attention to the anime *though I own them* and.... manga if it exists *I dunno, I've never actually SEEN one* but I loooove this series. It's awesome and probably the most accurate portrayal of vampires I've read in a long time. Vampire stories in the US haven't followed the rules for ages.... it saddens me.

Fat1Fared
03-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, my boyfriend loves the books. I've only seen the animes. Though I still don't own the first one on Dvd. The old one is still great to this day though, and Bloodlust was amazing. D got a complete makeover.

Though Fat1Fared has a point, it's not for everyone. I know the animes have the same "vampires are evil" message, but you'll often find humans who do the same. Like one of the characters in the first one. I forgot his name but he has a mullet in the anime, he wants to be a vampire so he helps them along. Still, I think if you like Bram Stroker's Dracula and Hellsing, you'll like Vampire Hunter D.

Don't get me wrong Enslave, I don't dislike it, just think it is overrated and like most things to do with Vampires, I find it is same old same old

TitanAura
03-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Don't get me wrong Enslave, I don't dislike it, just think it is overrated and like most things to do with Vampires, I find it is same old same old

Everyone has their own tastes in stories based around mythical beings. In fact, I personally prefer stories that create their own type of humanoid race like Elfen Lied.... even though the story itself was lame and unreasonably predictable with characters who get killed so many times you'd think they swallowed a game genie *cough* sorry, I got on a tangent. I loved the concept of Elfen Lied and the Diclonius and their constantly bloodsoaked vectors. Really cool and original species that was highly dangerous, but not invicible.

Overall though, I don't judge series that are recycling an idea or concept unless it mangles it on the level of Twilight.

*PS*
Despite being a huge fan of Vampire D, it isn't my most favoritest thing evar in literature because that award goes to Uncle Tom's Cabin. It's somewhere in the range Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Harry Potter Series. I love reading them, but they didn't change my life in any way.

speedlolita
03-28-2009, 05:24 PM
The original movie is quite amazing imo.

yamiangie
03-28-2009, 05:35 PM
well being in a range that inclueds Hickhikers seem resonalble.
Any way that remindes be the next volume of the book series is out in english I need to go Borders books sluming to find it. Hopefully it will be easier than looking for a non hard cover of Captian America: the death of captian america vol 3
Oh and at one point they said they were going to do a american comic for D. Not sure what happend with that my boyfriend only get's marvel every week.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Even though I don't really pay that much attention to the anime *though I own them* and.... manga if it exists *I dunno, I've never actually SEEN one* but I loooove this series. It's awesome and probably the most accurate portrayal of vampires I've read in a long time. Vampire stories in the US haven't followed the rules for ages.... it saddens me.

yes they have brought out Manga's. They are on number two. As for the new book, I think it's coming out in april or may. My boyfriend is a bigger fan of the books than I am. As for American's not following the rules, that is true. However I think creativity when dealing with vampires is a good thing. I've read an entire vampire encyclopedia. Idea's are fine but execute them in the wrong way and you'll be in trouble..Unless targeted to prepubescent teenage girls.

There are lots of different rules for vampires. Not all of them come out at night but they don't spend all day out in the sun either. Actually, some of the old folklore is laughable, but I'm getting off topic.

Fat1Fared
03-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Everyone has their own tastes in stories based around mythical beings. In fact, I personally prefer stories that create their own type of humanoid race like Elfen Lied.... even though the story itself was lame and unreasonably predictable with characters who get killed so many times you'd think they swallowed a game genie *cough* sorry, I got on a tangent. I loved the concept of Elfen Lied and the Diclonius and their constantly bloodsoaked vectors. Really cool and original species that was highly dangerous, but not invicible.

Overall though, I don't judge series that are recycling an idea or concept unless it mangles it on the level of Twilight.

*PS*
Despite being a huge fan of Vampire D, it isn't my most favoritest thing evar in literature because that award goes to Uncle Tom's Cabin. It's somewhere in the range Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and the Harry Potter Series. I love reading them, but they didn't change my life in any way.

I think that is sort of how it would go for me Titan (without huge fan part,) I don't mind reading/watching it, but don't see it as a revolution or anything,

On another note, I would never put Harry Potter on same level as Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, ok 2nd book wasn't amazing, but 1st one was legend (Then again I don't like Harry Potter)

I think you would like Malazan Book of Fallen set, by Steven Erikson, in that he makes up how races, worlds and I feel is about as orginual a story can be now days,

yamiangie
03-28-2009, 08:33 PM
book 12 pale fallen angel parts 3 and 4 was released march 18th acording tothe darkhorse website. I was really enjoying the first two parts with D and the convoy of vampires and acrobatic twins and that magic assistant.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
06-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Alrighty! I've heard rumors recently that a new Vampire Hunter D movie is in the works. From what I've heard it's supposed to be of one of the two part books. I think the newer one with the fallen angel but I'm not sure. Anyway, I've also heard that it is going to be done with the same animation style that Bloodlust was done in. I'll post up new info as it becomes available. Hopefully this is true and we get a new movie :D

SavvylikeaPirate
06-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Lord help me, my boyfriend got me into these. I love them very dearly and love the way that the stories are written, giving us backstory sandwiched in between hardcore action sequences. The Nobility are not simply portrayed as evil, but as beautifully tragic. they have all of the power, riches and beauty of the world and they allow themselves to flounder. Compared to the modern "Vampires are Sexy and they're your Friends who want to have sex with you, not drink your blood" viewpoint, I found the series incredibly refreshing.

yamiangie
06-14-2010, 03:39 PM
They are rather fun to read I'm reading Dark Road parts 1&2 right now.

mystra
06-14-2010, 04:22 PM
i agree with Savvy. having now read everything released up until 2008 and now looking at all the Vamp stuff that's out D is certainly refreshing. the books have an old time feel to them that Vampire stories and movie don't have at all anymore. i'm not going to compare the story line and writing to the originals (Dracula & Nosferatu) but the embodiment is definitely there imo. below is the current book list if anyone is interested.

Vampire Hunter D
Raiser of Gales
Demon Deathchase
Tale of the Dead Town
The Stuff of Dreams
Pilgrimage of the Sacred and the Profane
Mysterious Journey to the North Sea
The Rose Princess
Pale Fallen Angel
Twin-Shadowed Knight
Dark Road
Star Squad of the Evil Overlord