PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst anime dub edit you've ever seen?

TheDreamMaster
03-28-2009, 01:49 AM
I've seen threads like this on other forums about various subjects, so I decided to try one here. Honestly, it may not be the worst, but I find these pretty funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2XRp-R9s7A&feature=related

DannyLilithborne
03-28-2009, 02:17 AM
As bad as 4Kids dubs are, I have to give this one to Sailor Moon. The dub is beyond insulting.

maisetofan
03-28-2009, 02:24 AM
As bad as 4Kids dubs are, I have to give this one to Sailor Moon. The dub is beyond insulting.

thank you thank you thank you, someone else who knows the horror that is the dub, i have the japanese series all the episodes and YEAH everything including a whole entire season and a few episodes are cut from the american dribble, and the whole "lets make neptune and uranus cousins instead of lovers thing?" :mad::mad::mad:

TitanAura
03-28-2009, 03:58 PM
thank you thank you thank you, someone else who knows the horror that is the dub, i have the japanese series all the episodes and YEAH everything including a whole entire season and a few episodes are cut from the american dribble, and the whole "lets make neptune and uranus cousins instead of lovers thing?" :mad::mad::mad:

Hey, they didn't get rid of the lesbian relationship.... they just made it incestuous.

DannyLilithborne
03-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey, they didn't get rid of the lesbian relationship.... they just made it incestuous.
Yes, the uncut version is quite disturbing with the English audio on.

It doesn't help that Neptune's VA is horrible. It makes it seem like some bad, twisted Danielle Steele novel adaptation. (Uranus' is okay, but she took Megumi Ogata's "gruff badassery" and interpreted it as "don't give a shit about anything".)

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Yes, the uncut version is quite disturbing with the English audio on.

It doesn't help that Neptune's VA is horrible. It makes it seem like some bad, twisted Danielle Steele novel adaptation. (Uranus' is okay, but she took Megumi Ogata's "gruff badassery" and interpreted it as "don't give a shit about anything".)

Well to add to that they turned Zoisite (Whatever spelling you wanna go with, I've seen too many different versions) into a girl in the american version to hide the fact that HE was gay with Malachite. Ontop of that, they made Fish-Eye seem like a girl until they forgot to remove the part where he rips off his shirt. That was a little disturbing for me. It's no wonder they didn't bring out Sailor Stars. They wouldn't know what to do with that since the Sailor Starlights are men in their normal form and turn into women when they transform. I had to buy all the original japanese VHS's when I was down in San Fransisco. I have no freakin clue what they are saying either since it's all in japanese and no subs. >.<

Personally, I really don't mind dubs for the most part. Animes that are going to be shown on TV as kids shows are always going to be edited. However, there are a few voice actresses I can't stand. That would be the voice actress's for Emerald in Sailor Moon, and Naga for Slayers.

Toonami also forgot to edit the part in Outlaw Star where Gene calls Ron a bastard. They managed to get it the next time around. And then there was the Toonami version of Tenchi Muyo where they painted a bathing suit onto Ryoko.

DannyLilithborne
03-29-2009, 12:50 AM
I have no freakin clue what they are saying either since it's all in japanese and no subs. >.<
There are VKLL badsubs that are common on the net, but there are new better ones around. PM me if you want those; although it shouldn't be a problem since Stars isn't licensed and probably never will be, I still would rather be safe.

JulzzBabeex3
03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
I say any anime dubbed by 4kids is bad :P

TitanAura
03-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Okay, there is a real fine line there. While 4kids does do massive amounts of editing, they are necessary edits so the show can be viewed by their audience. Their audience is little kids like 3-8 year olds so they have to do that. However, they do at times do to much, however they have made some shows a lot better with their edits. One Piece for example. I prefer 4kids One Piece to FUNimation's version because it is actually much funnier in my opinion. Just because what they do is different doesn't mean they make bad edits, you all just have closed minds.

I may have to kill you for that statement about OP. It's a funny show but there are times when Luffy and the gang become dead serious and those are the times when 4kids misses the mark like a blind man ski shooting. The casting was miserable in the 4kids version and ESPECIALLY for Sanji, who happens to be my favorite character, and I find that unforgivable. I'll let the lolipop edits slide because.... well, it was aimed at kids and kids are stupid enough to try something like smoking if they see their favorite character doing it on TV. *sigh*

I won't say FUNimation is flawless either though. Neither versions fit my vision of how Luffy would speak if he were to speak in English but that's the cost of having such an awesome VA in the Japanese dub.... I <3 Mayumi Tanaka. The same goes for Sanji but his is actually not that bad in FUNi's version.

*EDIT*
And you absolutely can NOT condone the elimination of entire STORY ARCS such as Laboon and Little Garden. Those were relevant to the story and getting rid of them creates a magnitude of paradoxes *paradoxi?* later on! That's SLOPPY. Whatever little edits they may have made, rewriting the story is not something an anime dubbing company should be doing.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Editing animes normally always get's messed up because views on what kids should and should not watch are screwed up anyway. It's wrong to be gay, but it's okay to be a guy and cross dress (Fish-eye from Sailor Moon). If they are going to censor things they should be censoring everything in my opinion. Ontop of that most kids aren't stupid. Sure, younger ones may emulate behaviour, but if the parents were actually taking the time to teach their children instead of sitting them infront of a TV things would be different in my opinion. When I was little, it was okay to watch cartoon characters getting pummled by mallets and in one case, it was even okay to show topless mermaids (Hans Christan Andersons The Little Mermaid).

The point is we wouldn't have to edit things so much of parents actually raised their kids. But since most use the TV as a babysitter and don't watch these programs themselves, they get upset when they see something they don't like. Anything viewed by a child should be viewed by the parent first if they are so concerned about it.

However, I do agree with you also. Just because it is edited doesn't mean that it is bad. Master of Mosquiton for instance, I found to be much funnier in american than japanese. But that more or less refers to the script.

TitanAura
03-29-2009, 03:38 PM
However, I do agree with you also. Just because it is edited doesn't mean that it is bad. Master of Mosquiton for instance, I found to be much funnier in american than japanese. But that more or less refers to the script.

There you go. It has everything to do with the script. Visual edits are fine by me because I'm actually doing that for my fandubbing team right now in order to replace on screen kanji with it's english equivalent so the audience can READ what's written there. However I'm very conservative about what I edit. If it's something in the background that has no relevance to what's happening, I leave it be. But altering the script drastically is something that dubbing companies should avoid. Dialogue can be re-written if it has to be changed to fit with, not only the mouthing, but also the situation, overall the story should still flow the way it does in the original version. The character's motivating factors, their personalities, the major plot points should all be intact.

Fat1Fared
03-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Titan I agree with you, editors may have to change some things, but should never change overall story

but like I said to sally in another post, it also comes down to the orginal writers selling their stories and allowing this to happen, as a writer I hope that I can say, I would never sell any of my stories to other companies to change, just for editing purposes

TitanAura
03-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Titan I agree with you, editors may have to change some things, but should never change overall story

but like I said to sally in another post, it also comes down to the orginal writers selling their stories and allowing this to happen, as a writer I hope that I can say, I would never sell any of my stories to other companies to change, just for editing purposes

The issue isn't selling the rights, it's WHO they sell the rights too. It's the fans that often request and sometimes DEMAND that these animes be made, Full Metal Alchemist Series 2 coming next month being a perfect example of the latter, so often times the authors are left with little choice but to let it happen lest they feel the wrath of the fanbase which is the equivalent of the hammer of Thor as wielded by Stimpy. And you have to remember that the authors are STILL WORKING on these series while the anime is being produced so they don't really have the time to give the ok on the decisions that the writers and directors make while they adapt the manga into an anime and even fewer chances to contact an overseas company that is doing a redub in another language that they may or may not even speak.

Fat1Fared
03-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Titan, that is my point, they sell their rights to wrong groups without a fight, most of time they take money and run. Don't think these writers are helpless little puppy's, if they really wanted to they could easily easy enforce their rights or put things in contracts to stop this happening, infact are dudding/editing groups out there, willing to do this, it is just other companies can out bid them at times and so that is why get some which are badly edited,

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Titan, that is my point, they sell their rights to wrong groups without a fight, most of time they take money and run. Don't think these writers are helpless little puppy's, if they really wanted to they could easily easy enforce their rights or put things in contracts to stop this happening, infact are dudding/editing groups out there, willing to do this, it is just other companies can out bid them at times and so that is why get some which are badly edited,

I think a perfect example of someone selling the rights is Anne Rice. Her books where good and Interview wasn't that bad of a movie. Yes some things were changed but it still flowed well. Queen of the Damned was just horrible in every aspect. The only GOOD thing was the soundtrack. I hope to one day be published but if someone wants to do something to my book, such as turn it into a movie, I will make it a point to watch over every aspect and see how it goes. I do think that some people get screwed out of it, some just sell the rights for money to people who butcher it, however there are also some who watch over everything they do. Hayao Miyazaki for instance, approve of the american script for his movies and demands that NOTHING is changed. Even though the animes were imported, and dubbed, he was still involved in saying what happens.

I think we can all agree that greed is the enemy in this.

TitanAura
03-29-2009, 06:23 PM

I suppose but what I'm saying is that what they're focusing on is their manga and their own financial well being *as ANYONE would be* so the anime isn't their first priority. To them, the manga is their job and the anime is just an extra source of income. I'm just stating what their priorities are which would be what everyone else's priorities are. They do have to make a living and if they can make more while continuing their own work separately, they'll do it. I've always wondered how people qualify "selling out" when a product that is created due to the selling the rights to make a bit of extra money. Now obviously there are a few absolute whores out there who will give away the rights of their products to anyone who has the money to pay for it but that doesn't apply to everyone.

TitanAura
03-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Hayao Miyazaki for instance, approve of the american script for his movies and demands that NOTHING is changed. Even though the animes were imported, and dubbed, he was still involved in saying what happens.

I think we can all agree that greed is the enemy in this.

One of the reasons he's one of my heroes. I think anyone who's a fan of his knows the infamous "katana gift" with the message "No cuts" he sent to Miramax during the dubbing process of Princess Mononoke because they were planning to cut scenes to make it shorter for the theatrical release. Such a great sense of humor the man has lol. It's that kind of dedication to art that makes me love his work.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-29-2009, 06:36 PM
One of the reasons he's one of my heroes. I think anyone who's a fan of his knows the infamous "katana gift" with the message "No cuts" he sent to Miramax during the dubbing process of Princess Mononoke because they were planning to cut scenes to make it shorter for the theatrical release. Such a great sense of humor the man has lol. It's that kind of dedication to art that makes me love his work.

I never heard of that one.

Eia
03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I think Blood + was horrible when dubbed. Not due to english issues, but because the voiceovers that they chose for the characters completely killed any character development because the talent sucked ass and didn't know how to inflect their voices.

maisetofan
03-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Sailor moon should not have been dubbed and watered down to the point it was not even worth watching. About 5 episodes from season one were taken out, like the one where Usagi uses her magic pen to go into an R18 night club and then off course there was the zoisite incident, even though she was clearly a MAN lets make the character female so HER and Malachite can be a legitimate coupling, and the star lights? they didn't even bother with, which is a good thing really.

in the japanese version there is also no crappy "Sailor says" Bull i mean seriously it was like anime barney :X

Also Yugioh, Pokemon and DBZ were all badly done, thats probably why i didnt bother watching DBZ because the dub cramped so many episodes into one

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Sailor moon should not have been dubbed and watered down to the point it was not even worth watching. About 5 episodes from season one were taken out, like the one where Usagi uses her magic pen to go into an R18 night club and then off course there was the zoisite incident, even though she was clearly a MAN lets make the character female so HER and Malachite can be a legitimate coupling, and the star lights? they didn't even bother with, which is a good thing really.

in the japanese version there is also no crappy "Sailor says" Bull i mean seriously it was like anime barney :X

Also Yugioh, Pokemon and DBZ were all badly done, thats probably why i didnt bother watching DBZ because the dub cramped so many episodes into one
Yeah I bought the sailor moon dvd's of season 1 and 2. I remember the one episode with the little bunnies that went out, the episode with the papillions that concerns Sailor V's old love from england and the woman he ended up with, the one with the little girl who has a f'ed up family and something about them wanting to use her powers which didn't seem THAT bad to me. And some others I can't remember. It's been so long since I watched Sailor Moon.

You know what I don't get? Why censor all that stuff and leave in the part where Prince Endymon beats the crap out of Jupiter once he turns evil. Is violence towards women a good thing? And Rubeus, don't get me started with him. He was like a giant flaming pedophile in the english series. Always going after Chibi-Usa (Can't stand her but it's just the principle). Not to mention Chibi-Usa pretty much wanting to screw her dad. And then Catsy wanted to kill herself when Rubeus said he didn't love her. So yay for suicide! It's a good thing that Utena was never aired on TV. Otherwise we would have only gotten five minutes of the show with how screwed up that one is too. Yeah, way to go. Gays are bad but incest and violence against women is A-Ok. Two thumbs up! **Sarcastic tone for those who can't telll**

TitanAura
03-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Well.... the DBZ anime was seriously 2/3 filler you know.... It wasn't bad but it moved at a snail pace and the power up sequences went for 10 minutes before the fighting so I can't really blame you. I was actually a bigger fan of the original Dragon Ball series over DBZ.

DannyLilithborne
03-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Okay, there is a real fine line there. While 4kids does do massive amounts of editing, they are necessary edits so the show can be viewed by their audience. Their audience is little kids like 3-8 year olds so they have to do that. However, they do at times do to much, however they have made some shows a lot better with their edits. One Piece for example. I prefer 4kids One Piece to FUNimation's version because it is actually much funnier in my opinion. Just because what they do is different doesn't mean they make bad edits, you all just have closed minds.
You're either an idiot or a troll. Although "troll" and "idiot" are rather redundant anyway.

XxEnslavedNekoxX
03-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Well.... the DBZ anime was seriously 2/3 filler you know.... It wasn't bad but it moved at a snail pace and the power up sequences went for 10 minutes before the fighting so I can't really blame you. I was actually a bigger fan of the original Dragon Ball series over DBZ.

Haha! Reminds me of now when me and my boyfriend are watching Naruto. It reminds me of Dragonball Z so at the end of the episode, and you know there is about 6 more episodes to go before the battle conclusion, I'm often saying "Next time, on Dragonball Z!"

Fir3freak
03-30-2009, 01:02 AM
4 Kids is the winner for worst dub company ever, but to me the worst anime dub edit to a single series is definitely Cardcaptor Sakura, or Cardcaptors

not only do they start the series on episode 8, change names, and combine episode 1 with episode 34 or something, only show like 40 episodes out of 70 and give it the classic, 'kids friendly horrible pun' filled dialogue, they take out every single relationship and turn Li into a douche

BTBTBTB
03-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Yu-Gi-Oh GX.

I rest my case.

maisetofan
03-30-2009, 02:46 AM
they kinda turned GX into an abridged series though if u watch the later episodes, so it got better but its still wrong because it will never be YGO and i agree with dannilithborne, reborn has to be a troll for that hideous remark

liking 4kids? PFFT

Fat1Fared
03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I suppose but what I'm saying is that what they're focusing on is their manga and their own financial well being *as ANYONE would be* so the anime isn't their first priority. To them, the manga is their job and the anime is just an extra source of income. I'm just stating what their priorities are which would be what everyone else's priorities are. They do have to make a living and if they can make more while continuing their own work separately, they'll do it. I've always wondered how people qualify "selling out" when a product that is created due to the selling the rights to make a bit of extra money. Now obviously there are a few absolute whores out there who will give away the rights of their products to anyone who has the money to pay for it but that doesn't apply to everyone.

I understand what your saying, it is like english footballers. In my home town team, there was young lad who had amazing ability and was a local legend, (still only 21) but he then forces a move to a SMALLER club, just because they offered an extra 1000 pounds a week and were in London. Most hated him for it, I was more disapointed in him, but understand that people will look after number 1. However I think there is a fine line between looking after number 1 and just whoring yourself/your work to highest bidder, without a fight!!!!!

Eia, I think that is harsh: at lest they kept to some of lines lol, it was the soppyness of the English one which bugged hell out of me.

Yes Syia sounds like a weak, dippy airhead and Diva just needs a slap lol

but Soloman sounded how I felt he would sound, soft and cultured, but with a dark sharpness to him, same with Hatija

And Kei's voice actor did several things, and is ok for part.

Though think the worst one has to be Kei's little brother, he has the most annoying sissy voice, (don't read next bit if not seen it I was happy he died he sounded worse than Mokobua in Yu Gi Oh

(Sorry if spelt names wrong)

DBZ had a cool storyline, but was never going to survivie dubbing, it was about martial arts and destroying worlds, plus 90% of it was filler fights so it was always going to be cut down epicly and BADLY, worst bit was making humans surivive everything though, How can a whole city get destroyed, yet no one dies, do the editors think kids are R)))))DED :squintyface:

BTBTBTB=Sending poeple to the stars lolz, but to be fair, the show was bad in japanese, as well I mean it was same story 4 times, just with different bad guys and set in a school for dueling cards

roxasabridged
03-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Cardcaptors was pretty much butchered when compared to its original counterpart.

Kirby: Right back at ya! sounds like it got raped too (Yes, I know it's a more childish anime, but sub over dub)

Although, I don't think any dub is 100% true to its original. Thee always seem to be unnecasary edits everywhere..

DannyLilithborne
03-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Although, I don't think any dub is 100% true to its original. Thee always seem to be unnecasary edits everywhere..
Naruto and Bleach are fairly faithful.

TitanAura
03-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Yes, that is true because that is literally impossible. No two dubs can be exactly the same. However I urge you to watch Cowboy Bebop because it's 99.9% true to the original. The only variation is having different voice actors, some who can actually be considered BETTER than the original VAs, and slight alterations to the wording of sentences. That extra .1% is what makes it a different experience though. Dubbing is an artform in and of itself and the resulting changes are never inherently good nor bad. How they effect the story and intended experience of an anime is how those changes are judged.

EZE
04-12-2009, 02:13 AM
08th MS Team, I didn't like the dub version.

Twilightyami7
04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
The 1970s dub of Tekkaman: The Space Knight serious all he saids is Space Lance alot he even called a ball with spikes a beach ball he also saids that his space lance slip even though they didn't even show it fall out of his hand.

Orga777
04-15-2009, 09:26 PM
All Dubs with the exception of Cowboy Bebops which is pretty good.... Yeah, some are worse than others, but I am just going to take the cop-out here. XD

Oath
04-15-2009, 10:23 PM

Acually i think theres one dub that does a better job then its original counter part, Kaleido Star, voice actress Cynthia Martenez does a wonder full job at bring Sora to life, along wit other good voice actors/actress like Hillary Hagg and and Christian Pattan, ADV films usually does okay enough jobs with there Dubs

ChaosVincent1
04-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Eyeshield 21... NFL Rush put enough influence to cause VIZ to act like 4kids.
Blank banners
swinging invisible bats (even more pitiful than shooting invisible guns)

XxEnslavedNekoxX
04-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Agent Aika was horribly dubbed. There was no talent in that american dub.

roxasabridged
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I dunno about Cowboy Bebop... If it's about Cowboys and some wierd music then I'll just let it pass...

Anyways, it seems Pokemon is pretty badly dubbed too, and not because of rice cake issues. For example, how does Arbok evolve into Seviper? How can you finish off an opponent with False Swipe?

TitanAura
04-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I dunno about Cowboy Bebop... If it's about Cowboys and some wierd music then I'll just let it pass...

Don't make me shiv you. It's not cowboys as in horse riding farmers. It's about bounty hunters in the future. And don't you dare call the music weird. It's one of the greatest soundtracks in anime history composed by Yoko Kanno. I love Jazz and it fits perfectly with such a laid back, yet action packed series. Cowboy Bebop is greatness and anyone who doesn't think so is either stupid or stuck up their own ass. This or any Miyazaki film, are just about the only anime-based shows/movies that I'll ever give such praise too.

Kiya
04-20-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure abour dubbed but the subtitels for the Fullmetal Alchimest movie was HORRIBLE. I dont think they editted at all....

ocrinaoftimefreak
04-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Watching a dub is removing pretty much all culture from it... you lose the dialect, tone etc. My general rule is that if its an ADV dub or a Ghibli dub, then it tends to be acceptable. apart from that, subtitles.

Orga777
04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Don't make me shiv you. It's not cowboys as in horse riding farmers. It's about bounty hunters in the future. And don't you dare call the music weird. It's one of the greatest soundtracks in anime history composed by Yoko Kanno. I love Jazz and it fits perfectly with such a laid back, yet action packed series. Cowboy Bebop is greatness and anyone who doesn't think so is either stupid or stuck up their own ass. This or any Miyazaki film, are just about the only anime-based shows/movies that I'll ever give such praise too.

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better my self. XD

TitanAura
04-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Watching a dub is removing pretty much all culture from it... you lose the dialect, tone etc. My general rule is that if its an ADV dub or a Ghibli dub, then it tends to be acceptable. apart from that, subtitles.
You have to remember that only a small fraction of animes actually take place IN Japan. Losing the culture from a fantasy setting means nothing. It still confuses me why the fansubs of One Piece still attempt to incorporate as much Japanese as possible.... THEY WOULDN'T BE SPEAKING JAPANESE!

FUNimation dubs are pretty good imo.

Also, almost all of the Ghibli dubs that are out on DVD nowadays are Disney productions, with one of the exceptions being Princess Mononoke, being my favorite of the Miyazaki films, because Miramax still holds the copyrights to it. I can listen to either the English or Japanese dubs of any of those films and I have an great love of the Disney version of My Neighbor Totoro *there are two: one by Torma Films and one by Disney after their license expired in 2004 and I've heard both* because the daughters' voices are a perfect match, even better than the Japanese dub to be honest. It's remarkable how Disney has just about the most amazing resource of child actors and since Miyazaki has used a large number of young female heroines over the years, that is an awesome asset to have.

I'm not a fan of Disney in general, but it treats the Miyazaki films with respect thanks to John Lassetter being a HUGE Miyazaki fanboy, as am I. It's definitely one of the biggest reasons I'm a fandubber now and it's absolutely a very probable future career for me.

DannyLilithborne
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM
It still confuses me why the fansubs of One Piece still attempt to incorporate as much Japanese as possible.... THEY WOULDN'T BE SPEAKING JAPANESE!
Ugh, don't get me started with this.

Fuck you Kaizoku fansubs for starting the weeaboo trend of using "nakama" as an actual word. Just according to keikaku, eh?

TitanAura
04-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Ugh, don't get me started with this.

Fuck you Kaizoku fansubs for starting the weeaboo trend of using "nakama" as an actual word. Just according to keikaku, eh?
Same goes for Shinigami in Death Note or the over usage of honorifics like -san.

Elliot Gale
04-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Personally, I think keeping the honorifics in-tact is important for subs.

DannyLilithborne
04-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Personally, I think keeping the honorifics in-tact is important for subs.
Why? They have ears, they can hear.

Elliot Gale
04-22-2009, 01:58 AM
kk tiem 2 rephrase

Personally, I rather like it when honorifics are kept in-tact.

Sure, I can hear, but... iunno. There's something about it.

DannyLilithborne
04-22-2009, 03:20 AM
I also don't mind "Shinigami" that much, and all the Naruto-isms don't bug me either.

ggctuk
04-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Cloverway did better but they had to stick to the template DiC set out. Therefore they had to more DiC/4Kidsey type stuff.

Personally I hate the dub of Tsuabsa Chronicle. It's no edit, but if I had to choose between listening to a cat being dragged down a blackboard or Sakura's and Mokona's voices in the dub, I'd choose the cat.

TheRealTristan
04-25-2009, 01:34 AM
I completely agree about the Tsubasa dub. That, along with the dub for Ouran High School Host Club was horrible. I've heard a little of the D.Gray-Man dub and I am not happy.

I am sick and tired of FUNimation taking amazingly awesome animes and giving them the crappiest voice actors to do the job. The entire voice over cast for Ouran was pretty much the same for FMA. I'm such a fan of Ouran, and they murdered their voices, and the dubbed the opening and closing themes.

FUNi has no problem when it comes to editing the script, but their pick of voice actors is really quite shoddy. Monica Rial needs to be fired. Now.

xxangelchanxx
04-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Anything done by 4kids is a trainwreck.Also since any anime taken by them has supposedly become for kids,there will never be figure's of any of the characters. ; ~;

roxasabridged
04-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know what company dubbed Chrno Crusade? I listened to a bit of the first episode and their voices were all horribly wrong...

Elliot Gale
04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
I've heard bad voices before, but I think people often overreact on the subject just because the voices are different rather than genuinely stepping back and thinking for a moment on whether or not they fit.

It's probably the most superficial thing to complain about, honestly.

AsterGray
04-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Ouran High School Host Club. after i heard the opening song, i just gave up on dubbed anime's altogther. that and Tamaki's eng voice was horrible.

Elliot Gale
04-28-2009, 01:39 AM
I've seen the original before, and just watched the first episode of the dub.

Really, it's not bad at all. =\

AsterGray
04-28-2009, 10:52 AM

fair enough, i'll try and make an attempt to watch the whole ep soon
'shouldnt judge a dub by 5 mins

Aninamar
04-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Any polish anime dub. Really. Examples:
-Shaman King. Len Tao sounds like Abridged Marik... in Poland.
-Yu-Gi-Oh. Only Yami stands out. A little.
-Gutsman from Megaman. The rest of the cast are pretty bad, but Gutsman (and his master) are both voiced by a guy who no matter what he says, he whines. And when he does that "GUTS GUTS GUTS" I actually think he screams "GODS" as in "GODS, why did I agree to be a voice actor in this crappy show?"
-Transformers: Animated. It already was disappointing with this horrible art-style. The icing on the cake? Polish Optimus voiced by polish Gutsman. Whoop-dee-[bleep]-do.
-Naruto. I didn't think "Believe it" could sound more stupid, "kumalski?!?".

What makes it more cringing is the fact that back in the days, we actually had the pleasure to watch the original, Japanese animes (like Slayers) with only a good lector. (in fact, we had a pretty multilingual TV channel back in the days: Japanese anime ('Sailor Moon', 'Captain Tsubasa', 'Yataman') in the morning, Polish news in the afternoon, German porn in midnight. Too bad it doesn't exist anymore.). TV really sucks nowadays.

TheRealTristan
04-28-2009, 12:19 PM

I've seen the first three episodes of the dub. I really wanted to see what Renge sounded like, but unfortunately she comes in on episode 4. I just believe they, much like 4Kids, recycle the same voice actors over and over and over again.

Also, did you know that Vic Mignona got the role of Tamaki simply because 1. He wanted it, and 2. His friend, Caitlin Glass, was the director.

It's setting up such a horribly premise for people who want to be actors/voice actors. "As long as you know the director, you can get a good role?" Ugh.

HomosexualGuitar
04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Lets see...

The Sailor Moon dub pisses me off since they made Haruka and Michiru cousins instead of lovers and they turned two guys into girls (one because he was in love with another man and the other because he crossdressed).

Cardcaptors annoys me too, since they completely took out Touya and Yukito's relationship! Evil homophobic dubbers!

I don't like the Ouran or Death Note dubs simply because I watched the Japanese version first and liked it more. (Plus American voices are annoying)

and don't get me started on YuGiOh! The whole 'Shadow Realm' thing instad of dying is crap. So being eternally tormented by your worst nightmares is nicer than simply dying is it? Bah! And they took Marikky's knife! And Bakura's steak!

Elliot Gale
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I've seen the first three episodes of the dub. I really wanted to see what Renge sounded like, but unfortunately she comes in on episode 4. I just believe they, much like 4Kids, recycle the same voice actors over and over and over again.

Also, did you know that Vic Mignona got the role of Tamaki simply because 1. He wanted it, and 2. His friend, Caitlin Glass, was the director.

It's setting up such a horribly premise for people who want to be actors/voice actors. "As long as you know the director, you can get a good role?" Ugh.

Okay, but none of that can really be used to discredit the Ouran dub itself; point those complaints toward the company. And even then, we don't know just how many actors they have on hand, so whatever.

Seiyuu are recycled all the time too, ya know. lol

ocrinaoftimefreak
04-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Pretty much everything 4kids have laid their tentacles into.

Though saying that, the pokemon company are actually doing a worse job of the english dub of the afforemention anime than 4kids where...

Dubs are for the uncultured anyway.

ggctuk
04-29-2009, 04:21 AM
I've heard bad voices before, but I think people often overreact on the subject just because the voices are different rather than genuinely stepping back and thinking for a moment on whether or not they fit.

It's probably the most superficial thing to complain about, honestly.

Well, Monica Rial sounds absolutely forced in the Tsubasa Chronicle dub, nothing like the (almost-too) sweet tones of Yui Makino (the Japanese actress for Sakura). God, I hope they let her go before they dub the OVAs.

ChaosVincent1
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
recycling voice actors even happens in Japan. What do you expect the Japanese voice acting people to do when their shows end? So that complaint doesn't hold any ground. Watch the Japanese version of One Piece, then the Japanese version of DBZ. Extra points if you watch Son Goku and Friends Return. Don't you think Goku and Luffy sound almost exactly the same? So next time you complain about Steven Blum making his newest character sound like Vincent or Spike, just watch the Japanese versions of Goku and Luffy for a refresher course.

ggctuk
04-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Uh, I don't recall saying they sounde the same as anyone. I just said Mokona and Sakura had awful voices. There's a difference between the English and Japanese voice actors. Most often, the voice actors in Japan fit their roles. In English, they seem to cast anybody, regardless of what they do to the character.

The point was, that the voices in the dub are awful in comparison to the original. TBH, Dan Green sounds similar to Yami in a lot of things, but I don't really care (in fact, he once said he based his Yami voice off his Entei voice) whether they sound like another character. Unless it's Kaiba. But LK has already poked fun of that.

grandia yuki
05-01-2009, 07:33 PM
We all agree that 4kids is horrible at anime and should have never existed.

Some dubs are well done. Full Metal Panic is one of them. I watched one scene dubbed and subbed, the dub had few edits because of translation and how long the mouth moves on the characters.

ggctuk
05-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Well, all dubs may change dialogue around to fit better, but convey the same general message.

AdmiralAwesome
05-02-2009, 08:20 AM
I dont mind the dubbing, just sometimes the voiceactors suck, and the original dialogue is shit

ChaosVincent1
05-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I'll admit, Chad's English voice is not so great... Although Chad isn't supposed to have so many long monologues. However, plenty of English voices also are good. Vic did a good job as Edward and Ikkaku. Johnny Young Bosch can perfectly characterize Vash and Ichigo. Light is good in English. For every Japanese voice failure, there's a chance for an amazing English voice. I personally think Dan Green did a better job as Yami than the Japanese guy. Chris Sabat does a better Vegeta voice than the Japanese guy. So there are plenty of overlooked instances where the American person actually outdoes the Japanese person.

Cardgamer
05-12-2009, 06:45 AM
There's one dub that is worse than all of these. The entire series they pronounce the main character's name wrong! The anime is Princess Nine. It's awful.

Aninamar
05-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I stress Polish Yu-Gi-Oh dub again. For laughs, I've decided to check the first episode of the Polish version. I love especially the two scenes:
Yugi: <transforms into Yami>
Kaiba: <complete indifference in his voice, even though his face looks pretty shocked> Oh? What's that?

Yugi: The card I play is... UNSTOPPABLE EXODIA!
Kaiba: <gayest voice possible> Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh! Exodia!

Haru Glory
05-26-2009, 04:57 PM
if it hasnt been said already, cause i dont feel like reding through, Rave master, though not a bad dub just annoys me afer reading the totally kid unfriendly manga, i mean it was like 2001 i think and funimation took out kill, dark, and changed alot, the biggest change was when they made griff(small blue thing) totally not a pervert and they took out master, i mean really, is it so bad to say master plue, instead he says sir plue, it just annoys me is all

beatlesgirl95
05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Also, did you know that Vic Mignogna got the role of Tamaki simply because 1. He wanted it, and 2. His friend, Caitlin Glass, was the director.

I know where you are coming from and why you are upset with Vic Mignogna getting Tamaki, but I will admit that I think he portrays Tamaki accurately... I think that the VAs in Ouran are actually pretty good.

On the Vic Mignogna topic, I think he does well with most of the characters he does...especially Fai from Tsubasa.... once again I think this dub is pretty well executed... I think Monica Rial does a fine job doing Sakura...

(but let's all face dub or sub the manga is ALMOST always better) :p

XxEnslavedNekoxX
06-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I forgot about Bastard. Dark Schnider had a horrible voice in that, but to be fair, none of the characters had very accurate voices.

Twilightyami7
06-23-2009, 08:44 PM
This is from the 1970s dubbed of Tekkaman: The Space Knight which was dubbed horrible especially saying Space Lance multiple times but became a cult classic.

Tekkaman dub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQ8dmBehXs)

DannyLilithborne
06-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Watch the Japanese version of One Piece, then the Japanese version of DBZ. Extra points if you watch Son Goku and Friends Return. Don't you think Goku and Luffy sound almost exactly the same?
Actually, Luffy is voiced by Mayumi Tanaka, who voices Krillin, not Goku.

ggctuk
06-24-2009, 12:34 PM
There's one dub that is worse than all of these. The entire series they pronounce the main character's name wrong! The anime is Princess Nine. It's awful.

It's not the only one. Cardcaptors did this to Sakura, having her name pronounced Sa-ku-ra rather than Sa-ku-ra.

YoshiYoko
06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
The one that comes to mind that isn't mentioned (?) is the Eyeshield 21 dub. I personally hated the English version, because they censored the Haha Brother's wooden baseball bat (which, if you watch the scene, looks dumb) but not Hiruma's gun (usually). They took out all of the Japanese humor, because the sponsor (NFL :O) doesn't understand Japanese humor. Some of the voices will make you want to strangle yourself, even in Episode 1 (I could barely sit through episode one, but I've heard a helluvalotta negative feedback).

Galactik
06-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I know this is about bad dubs but I personally think Ed's voice in the Full Metal Alchemist Dub was better than the original, just putting it out there :3

MariksSexKitten
12-08-2009, 03:28 PM
One Piece, and Sailor Moon :/ Very bad dubs.. Oh and for anyone who has seen it Fushigi Yuugi dubbed was awful too..

Xanadu
12-08-2009, 03:42 PM
the original DBZ dub
(with OVER 9000!!!!)
I mean a lot of dubs are lame, only reason I like Rozen Maiden and DBZ more then the originals is the voices are cooler and I don't wanna hear Desu 1000 times lol

Beyond Card Games
12-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I think Naruto.

DannyLilithborne
12-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I think Naruto.
Care to explain this with anything beyond the same old ridiculous "Believe it" bullshit?

Ohara
12-08-2009, 05:18 PM
As much as it had its moments, I was less than satisfied with the Higurashi dub.
Still, it wasn't as bad as the One Piece dub - all I ever heard while watching it was overweight people with hats yelling at eachother.

Beyond Card Games
12-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Care to explain this with anything beyond the same old ridiculous "Believe it" bullshit?

Nah, not really. That catchphrase alone was enough to make my ears bleed.
However, I am not excusing the majority of the other characters either. Sasuke and Kakashi's voices were among the worst in my opinion. Then again, I gave up watching the dub halfway through the first season.

roxasabridged
12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
the original DBZ dub
(with OVER 9000!!!!)
I mean a lot of dubs are lame, only reason I like Rozen Maiden and DBZ more then the originals is the voices are cooler and I don't wanna hear Desu 1000 times lol

WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT!

Where the hell did you find an RM dub? I've been searching forever for that!

DannyLilithborne
12-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Nah, not really. That catchphrase alone was enough to make my ears bleed.
However, I am not excusing the majority of the other characters either. Sasuke and Kakashi's voices were among the worst in my opinion. Then again, I gave up watching the dub halfway through the first season.
I am still not hearing any reason the dub is bad beyond "sasuke no seiyuu is kawaii desu". Naruto had a good dub; I find only retard otakus hate it.

yamiangie
12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT!

I think some are in the used bin at my local suncoast
and there's always rightstuff.com

JesusRocks
12-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Rozen Maiden english dub is terrible. Jun's english voice is pretty standard, but Shinku's is freaking horrible.
I managed to glean how terrible the dub is from only half of episode one (before the site I was on infected my computer with about 3 viruses)

Stick with the subs - plus you get DESU then.

Xanadu
12-08-2009, 11:47 PM
WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT!

i got both seasons mo fo
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y0-w-d5dpBA/RZl_LpzA1LI/AAAAAAAAACA/REJMmAh4bcQ/s320/shinku-s.jpg
(instead of a smile emoticon)
thats my Rozen Maiden smile!

Xanadu
12-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Rozen Maiden english dub is terrible. Jun's english voice is pretty standard, but Shinku's is freaking horrible.
I managed to glean how terrible the dub is from only half of episode one (before the site I was on infected my computer with about 3 viruses)

Stick with the subs - plus you get DESU then.

hers was my favorite!!

roxasabridged
12-09-2009, 11:10 AM
i got both seasons mo fo
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Y0-w-d5dpBA/RZl_LpzA1LI/AAAAAAAAACA/REJMmAh4bcQ/s320/shinku-s.jpg
(instead of a smile emoticon)
thats my Rozen Maiden smile!

Wow, don't remember Shinku smiling like that O.o

SirFluffykins
12-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't mind english voices in general, what I mind is english voice-actors trying to do the voices the same as the original high-pitch jap-girl voices. Japanese may like characters sounding like screeching 5 year olds; I don't.

Legend of the Twilight takes the cake as most annoying voices ever.

Xanadu
12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
yeah I can't stand the screech of the japanese voices
the worst is the Ozzaru, it sounds like a horny chicken
I don't either, but she did-its all there

Baby Panda
12-09-2009, 12:20 PM
In my opinion, I believe that the first two seasons of Sailor Moon were horrendous. Sure, Cloverway fucked up, but not like DIC did. Needless to say, I wasn't surprised to find out that they were syndicated by Disney.

That being said, I don't think that the 4KIDS dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! was bad. -shot- It had it's awkward moments, but was overall a pretty good dub. -stabbed- The voices were good, and even though the language and themes were dumbed down, it still reflected the personalities of the characters. -burned- The only thing I didn't really like was Dan Green's voice for Yami. Although it is admittedly sexy as all hell, Yami is supposed to be a young guy, somewhere around 16-18 I think, and Dan Green made him sound like he was MUCH older.

Xanadu
12-09-2009, 12:26 PM
yeah when I watched it as a kid my parents didn't understand why the 15 year old sounded 30 when he played card games
(and took them far to seriously)

MariksSexKitten
12-09-2009, 01:40 PM
yeah when I watched it as a kid my parents didn't understand why the 15 year old sounded 30 when he played card games
(and took them far to seriously)

My mom can't believe Yugi is 15 and in High school so I find it funny yours actually thought he sounded 30. But the Yugioh dub isn't that bad aside from lame jokes made to Americanize it, and the Name changes in my honest opinion. I think the voices were okay. ~bricked by Yugioh dub haters~

Ohara
12-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I love the Yu-Gi-Oh dub, to be honest. Even though it's... well, not great. I guess it's just nostalgia.

Xanadu
12-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I find it very hard to memorize the japanese names when they don't change them

AllisonWalker
12-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I love the Yu-Gi-Oh dub, to be honest. Even though it's... well, not great. I guess it's just nostalgia.

This

Xanadu
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Kaiba sounds like Brock from Pokemon who sounds like Gourry Gabriev from Slayers

MariksSexKitten
12-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I think it's just childhood nostalgia for alot of us actually.

AllisonWalker
12-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Yes it is. My friends don't understand it. Me neither.

SirFluffykins
12-10-2009, 02:57 AM
WE're all going to be saying how BraveStar and Galaxy Rangers were pure awesome, the younger gen will say Pokemon, Yugioh and Digimon were true entertainment and stuff today is crap, while the next generation is going to be saying Ben10: Alien Force and Robot Boy were the height of animation.

Then you watch it again years later and find it was made in another county and censored -_-

imphic
12-19-2009, 06:26 AM
I think the worse dubs tend to be the older ones that were usually done fast and cheap. The Speed Racer one is pretty pathetic.

ChouToshio
12-19-2009, 09:21 AM
@One Piece-- Ok seriously, I don't think it really matters how you dub this, crap is crap no matter what language you present it in. Between the terrible animation and background music, the anime does a splendid job of ruining it without anyone's help. It's a mockery of Oda-sensei's fantastic art style. In short, the manga pwns the anime like Vegeta pwns Raditz.

In regards to the original Japanese version, the voice actor's ANNOYING voice for Luffy makes me want to throw my TV out the window just as much as her voice for Krillan in DBZ.

Also complaining about GX or 5Ds is just dumb. Why? Because again, these anime are crap no matter what language you watch them in! If you don't understand that these shows are just as painfully corny and childish for Japanese viewers to watch in Japanese as it is for us in English, you need to go brush up on your Japanese.

Yuusei-ra no Team Satisfaction ni tsuite, ore ha ima made no jinsei, arehodo no iwakan wo kanjita koto ha nakatta.

"I have never felt as disturbed in my life as when I saw Yusei-guy's Team Satisfaction."

On another note, I recently watched a few episodes of the Naruto Dub out of curiosity. I have to say, I was actually impressed-- I thought the translation was done with good respect to both the original content and the anime's atmosphere. The only disturbing thing is that in keeping the original Japanese terminology/names, there is a discrepancy in pronunciation.

Sasuke's voice actor pronounces all the Japanese words very skillfully (rolling his R's) while some of the others really suck at it, which is pretty damn funny. Most disturbing is the way they pronounce "Uchiha," (it's not Ucheeeeha). If anything it's more disturbing since Sasuke still pronounces it correctly. :P

I also watched the original Japanese DBZ for the first time recently. I could only find it streamed with Chinese Subtitles, but whatever-- who hasn't seen DBZ? I also speak Japanese but that's besides the point . . .

Honestly I was really disappointed. It's sad to say, but I actually thought the dialogue in English was better written, and the conversations in Japanese seemed extremely shallow and uninteresting. BGM for the dub is also better . . . so much more epic . . .

The Japanese characters just seem really dry, both the voices and the things they say. Honestly Yu-Gi-Oh has more interesting dialogue. In other words, the dubbed dialogues actually have more content than the Japanese ones. :S

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I think that compared to the manga, they completely cut out a lot of the Northern Hogen (dialect) that both Goku and Chichi use.

. . . also why doesn't Gohan speak the same dialect as his parents? Maybe it's because he was abducted by an alien when he was a little kid.

. . . dodge!!

roxasabridged
12-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I watched the first dub episode of Karin (Chibi Vampire) a week ago, and although the voices aren't bad... they sound too old. Like, 20 years older than high schoolers should sound like.

Not terrible, but it makes it the worst dub I've seen. I should probably watch more episodes before making a final judgement.

MariksSexKitten
12-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Never watch Higurashi dubbed, I can't stand it.

Ohara
12-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Never watch Higurashi dubbed, I can't stand it.
Lol, yes.
I had to sit through it because I was showing it to my sister who didn't feel like seeing it in Japanese.
It has it's good moments, but, predictably, they're rare.

I recently saw the Haruhi dub. It's... well, it's good for a dub, but it doesn't compare to the original voicing cast (again, predictable).

DannyLilithborne
12-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Also complaining about GX or 5Ds is just dumb. Why? Because again, these anime are crap no matter what language you watch them in! If you don't understand that these shows are just as painfully corny and childish for Japanese viewers to watch in Japanese as it is for us in English, you need to go brush up on your Japanese.
GX and 5D's are silly shows about selling card games. But I can kind of suspend disbelief when watching the original at least within the realm of the show. (And of course, for only some episodes. Let's duel a monkey! Let's duel with gun duel disks!) I think it might be my American heritage; we were raised on Transformers, which somehow manages to both be a story with palatable characters and an extended commercial for toys at the same time.

But the dub? Nah, no sir. There's loving parodies (which Abridged Series mostly manage) and there's mocking parodies (RiffTrax and... well, some other Abridged Series), but then there's the "lol kids are stupid" thing that 4Kids does where kids are somehow supposed to buy their products regardless of how stupid the show is.

It's really nice to hear from a Japanese speaker on this topic, btw. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks DBZ in English is actually better.

roxasabridged
12-20-2009, 06:19 AM
English DBZ is by far better. I tried watching it in Japanese, and I think my ears bled.

Xanadu
12-20-2009, 05:10 PM
English DBZ is by far better. I tried watching it in Japanese, and I think my ears bled.

Japanese just cannot sound angry enough
I think since english is germanic it has a rougher sound to it

DannyLilithborne
12-20-2009, 07:32 PM
It's also the music. There are only two or three BGMs in Japanese worth noting. The whole thing sounds like a bad Jackie Chan movie. The English synths that fanboys LOOOOVE to complain about are actually more memorable.

Ohara
12-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Oh, yeah, the english DBZ dub. Though I'm not much of a fan of the show, I'd take the dub anyday.
Also, lol at the German dub. The voice actor for Vegeta is same that does the voice for the German SpongeBob.

Xanadu
12-20-2009, 10:14 PM
It's also the music. There are only two or three BGMs in Japanese worth noting. The whole thing sounds like a bad Jackie Chan movie. The English synths that fanboys LOOOOVE to complain about are actually more memorable.

I love the japanese soundtrack for DBZ
its totally awesome

Serial Ulyssicider
12-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Kaiba sounds like Brock from Pokemon who sounds like Gourry Gabriev from Slayers

Kaiba and Brock are voiced by the same dude...forgotten his name though...

DannyLilithborne
12-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Eric Stuart. He also sings.

Xanadu
12-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Kaiba and Brock are voiced by the same dude...forgotten his name though...

same with Gourry Gabriev
hence the joke

ChouToshio
12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
GX and 5D's are silly shows about selling card games. But I can kind of suspend disbelief when watching the original at least within the realm of the show. (And of course, for only some episodes. Let's duel a monkey! Let's duel with gun duel disks!) I think it might be my American heritage; we were raised on Transformers, which somehow manages to both be a story with palatable characters and an extended commercial for toys at the same time.

But the dub? Nah, no sir. There's loving parodies (which Abridged Series mostly manage) and there's mocking parodies (RiffTrax and... well, some other Abridged Series), but then there's the "lol kids are stupid" thing that 4Kids does where kids are somehow supposed to buy their products regardless of how stupid the show is.

It's really nice to hear from a Japanese speaker on this topic, btw. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks DBZ in English is actually better.

Probably the reason the DBZ dub is better than the original is because it is significantly newer. Relatively speaking, DBZ is a really old anime, and in retrospect it's not too surprising if the original BGM and dialogue sound like they come from a really cheap old kung-fu movie. With that in mind, the dub is a lot newer, and was written/audio'd for a modern audience, which is why it is more appealing overall.

example:

Dub: "Trunks!? . . . That boy has the very same name as my son! Wait, a super saiyan from the future-- he, he is my son!"
*cue heart pounding epic background music*

Original Japanese: "Trunks!? . . . ke . . . ke . . . ke . . . Trunks!? . . . I see!"
. . . *wind noise*

seriously

Xanadu
12-23-2009, 11:00 AM
plus they can't scream like the english speakers
I donno what it is but they just can't deliver a good old "AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"
during a powerup, or something

AngelKyota
01-22-2010, 01:27 AM
the worst dub......where do i even begin to start:
Sailor Moon, CardCaptors, Yugioh, Mew Mew Power, Chrono Crusade, Gakuen Alice...

Ohara
01-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Naww, the Yu-Gi-Oh dub is awesome. :frown:

AllisonWalker
01-22-2010, 08:55 PM
same with Gourry Gabriev
hence the joke

His name is Eric Stuart.

Kochiha
01-22-2010, 08:59 PM
The Zoids dub made me laugh.

Persona
01-23-2010, 09:59 AM
One Piece, and Sailor Moon :/ Very bad dubs.. Oh and for anyone who has seen it Fushigi Yuugi dubbed was awful too..

I agree with you there. I didn't like Fushigi Yuugi at all!!

ChouToshio
01-23-2010, 10:54 AM
@Ohara-- the voices and sound quality are nice. Not a fan of the content alterations. Also, if you're going to give people weird accents, might as well as given them to the ones that actually have accents/dialects (rex, meiko . . .)

Japanese just cannot sound angry enough
I think since english is germanic it has a rougher sound to it

I think the bigger problem is having some extremely squeaky women trying to voice fully grown men with some really old microphones. >______>

I you don't think Japanese men can scream epically, let me suggest Tengen Toppa Guren Lagan.

Ohara
01-23-2010, 09:06 PM
@Ohara-- the voices and sound quality are nice. Not a fan of the content alterations. Also, if you're going to give people weird accents, might as well as given them to the ones that actually have accents/dialects (rex, meiko . . .)
Well, yeah, I agree. :tongue:
I know it's got more to do with nostalgia than anything else, but even then I really don't think it's that bad. Some of the lines are cheesy and pointless, I know, but blah, it does its job well for a kids show.

Baku_An_Ryou_Fangirl
01-24-2010, 02:22 AM
The worst dub I think 4FuckinKids has ever done was Tokyo Mew Mew and Yugioh. Jesus Fucking Christ, have you seen how stupid they make the Mew Mews sound. Plus, they made the girls older than they actually were. Like I think Ichigo (or as the dub calls her, Zoey. Bleh!) was like 12 in the original and like sixteen or something in the dub. FOUR FUCKING YEARS AGE DIFFERENCE. Also, how hard is it to say "Minto". Like the damn gum. Minto! Argh, by the way, anything done by 4kids, usually sucks ass.

Xanadu
02-19-2010, 01:19 PM
a hentai called "I Love You"
worst dialog ever...basically sounded like an american porno
(oh yes finger f**k me)...

Yellow
02-19-2010, 02:13 PM
The single worst, pointless, and stupid idiot is not from the likes of 4kids. Y'see, I understand 4kids, they have to make it marketable for the kids, not you guys. But what I don't understand is the edits in Death Note. I mean they removed the crosses, but why? It's a series about murder for pete's sake, with the main 'protagonist' wanting to become a God, I think crosses aren't going to offend anyone who has gotten past the former two facts. It just doesn't make sense to me...

Xanadu
02-19-2010, 02:16 PM
they never edited out the crosses on Suigintou's dress
and she is right fucked in the head lol

Yellow
02-19-2010, 02:18 PM
they never edited out the crosses on Suigintou's dress
and she is right fucked in the head lol

That's because Rozen Maiden has a lot less editing done I believe, than Death Note...

Xanadu
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM
yes, that is true
how do you really edit a show like that lol

but no I think my "submittal" was the worst

Yellow
02-19-2010, 02:28 PM
They made porn sound like porn, I'm not sure how that's all that bad...

Xanadu
02-19-2010, 02:32 PM
most hentai's don't though...
they fallow typical anime wording and stuff but with sex.
thats what they are after all. but this was just...painful to hear

Mokuba Kaiba's Girl
02-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I hated Fruits Basket dub the most >.< 'specially Momijji's (?) voice. Painful to hear. Yuki's, Kyo's, Shigure's, and Haru's were good.