PDA

View Full Version : Hikaru no Go

Elliot Gale
04-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Well it wasn't on here yet, so I figured I'd bring it up. Hikaru no Go is one of those series that has a bit of special value to me because I caught onto it in my earlier days.

Hikaru Shindo is your typical middle school student. When his parents cut off his allowance due to his slacking in social studies, he takes his friend Akari Fujisaki with him to investigate his grandfather's attic for anything of monetary value (because pawning off your relative's stuff is a-okay). He turns up an old Go board, and as he cleans it, he realizes something is amiss - there's an old blood stain that just won't come out, and nobody else seems to be able to see it. The result is Hikaru meeting Sai of Fujiwara, a ghost who had been waiting over a hundred years to be able to return and play his beloved game.

With the old master inhabiting his consciousness, Hikaru gets his start into the world of the board game Go. The series follows him on his journey from beginner to pro.

The manga provides a more cheerful and comedic spin on the story where the anime provides more drama.

Some cons include:

-Needing a degree of understanding of the game to really get into the series.
-Many characters end up forgotten by the wayside.

Some pros include:

-Focus on character growth, both mentally and physically. This is one of few series that actually sees significant change in its character models as it goes on.
-An out of the ordinary and yet realistic topic as the basis.

Seeminglyeasy
07-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Oh man I love this series. Hikaru No Go is what made me read death note because it was by the same artist. :3 but I didn't like Death Note too much. Apparently the series just sort of ends but I stopped reading after 11 because it was taking so long to come out.

xellos88
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Loved the manga, hated the ending :P it was like Slam Dunk's ending, the mangaka just seems to get bored and finish the series in the middle of the story.
And the artist isnt the only thing it shares with Death note, in both mangas a cool character "dissapears" in the middle and then the story goes downhill

Seeminglyeasy
07-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Loved the manga, hated the ending :P it was like Slam Dunk's ending, the mangaka just seems to get bored and finish the series in the middle of the story.
And the artist isnt the only thing it shares with Death note, in both mangas a cool character "dissapears" in the middle and then the story goes downhill
...0_0 ya know I never realized that. Your right. XD wow, lol.

Turtlicious
07-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Oh man I love this series. Hikaru No Go is what made me read death note because it was by the same artist. :3 but I didn't like Death Note too much. Apparently the series just sort of ends but I stopped reading after 11 because it was taking so long to come out.

FAIL

www.onemanga.com

go go now!!!!

Seeminglyeasy
07-28-2009, 10:57 PM
FAIL

www.onemanga.com

go go now!!!!

I know its on onemanga and mangafox but I don't want to read it there. I only read the series I really like in novel form, as dumb as that sounds. I don't want to read online before I own the volumes, I'd feel less inclined to get them then.