PDA

View Full Version : Light is not the fastest thing in the universe

VegitarianZombie
04-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Thought is. Places that would take a beam of light years to get to, I can imagine in seconds. But if you said that light is the fastest PHYSICAL thing... then you would have me beat.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: (get the ^pun^)

EZE
04-12-2009, 05:19 AM
I always thought darkness was faster than light since it's everywhere in space

VegitarianZombie
04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I always thought darkness was faster than light since it's everywhere in space

Darkeness is simply the abcense of light, it is not a substance in and of itself. Unless you are talking about Dark Matter (the stuff that has no measurable mass and neiter produces or reflects light), and I am trying to keep this limited to stuff that is proven to exist.

EDIT: And just tbecause it is everywhere, does not mean it is faster. It just means that there is more of it, or (a better explanation) there is more space that light cannot reach.

Omega
04-12-2009, 03:49 PM
You're right. Kroze's record in bed beats it out by a longshot. :8V:

VegitarianZombie
04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
You're right. Kroze's record in bed beats it out by a longshot. :8V:

Im kinda new here, so I don't know who this kroze is, but from what I have seen he is a real duche bag.

EDIT: And I stated above I'm trying to kepp this limited to things that exist (unlike Kroze ever going to bed with someone):p

niknnik
04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't think thought is faster than light. Out thoughts are all in our brain and that's where they stay. When they "travel" They are only travelling within our brain, so it probably seems faster. Even sending signals to muscles and stuff is a shorter distance than the distance than light.

OverMind
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
I agree with niknnik.

'Fast' is a description of speed. Speed is a measure of distance over time. The distance, if any, a thought travels is ~0 when compared to the distances light travels over. It's a flawed comparison.

DaJacksterN
04-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Light is not the fastest thing in the universe. I am.

Turtlicious
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
in bed

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH

burned biatch

DaJacksterN
04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Perhaps. I wouldn't know, never bedded anyone before...

Is light the fastest thing in the universe? Perhaps, to our current knowledge. Only time will tell if we discover something that happens microseconds before light that we cannot detect. Or something.

Turtlicious
04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
ooohh

now i feel bad

DaJacksterN
04-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Haha! xD

Perhaps thoughts really are the fastest things out there?

Tatterdemalion
04-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Lies are the fastest thing in the Universe.

DaJacksterN
04-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Lies are the fastest thing in the Universe.

A lie would constitute as a thought, right?

But then maybe brain waves are the fastest thing, because the brain waves must create the thought before the thought is even finished procressing.

Wow, that's confusing. o_O

HolyShadow
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Light is bound by the movement of time. If time stands still, then light stands still. If one could isolate an area that moves at such a speed that time stands still, but disallow the time change to a specific object within that area, and move said object, that object will have moved faster than the speed of light.

DaJacksterN
04-15-2009, 04:02 PM
I am...confused.

HolyShadow
04-15-2009, 04:04 PM
How does that work? If time was not moving what would stop light from moving? In fact, how would time stop moving?
Time is in relation to speed.

Fat1Fared
04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Why'll speed is normally tested by time, time is not actually tested by speed holy, that is mixing Cause and Effect mate:-

Time can be as fast or as slow as we make it, but in truth time itself is nothing more than a state of mind and doesn't actually move, but is life moving, and that keeps moving at the constant, that is time we make as a state of mind

So unless we find (prove) that there is more to time, than a state of mind, it will never have a real speed

And to say stopping time stops light, well again this needs time to have more than state of mind, otherwise in truth you are stopping everything, but time as will still go by when we're froozen being nothing to stop, and it keeps moving, we just wouldn't realise it

However you could then say, that this is the old tree/sound in lifeless forest

inamerica55585
04-16-2009, 05:43 PM
You know I thought the fastest thing in existence were tachyon burst-wave particles that travel through time. In theory, anyway.

Kelix
04-16-2009, 07:48 PM
An important point to make is whether or not Light is a physical object or not. Scientists still are unsure if light is a particle or a wave. If light has no physical form, it cannot thus be the fastest "object" in the known universe.

As per your theory that thought is faster, thought is the existence of electrical impulses moving between the synapses of your brain. They move at the speed of light, thus thought and light are equal.

OverMind
04-16-2009, 07:57 PM
An important point to make is whether or not Light is a physical object or not. Scientists still are unsure if light is a particle or a wave. If light has no physical form, it cannot thus be the fastest "object" in the known universe.

As per your theory that thought is faster, thought is the existence of electrical impulses moving between the synapses of your brain. They move at the speed of light, thus thought and light are equal.

You're kind of shooting yourself in the foot when you berate light for perhaps not being a particle while ignoring the same issue for thoughts/electrical impulses.

Further, I'm quite sure the brain doesn't process thoughts at the same speed as light travels. Seriously, think about it. I'll look for a reputable source to back this claim up and get back to you later.

narutostarwars
04-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Light is a particle, so it has a physical mass making it an object.
Also, how can light move slower than time? Light IS the fastest thing we know of that exists in this universe. Thought is only perception we have YET to UNDERSTAND. So with this thought is faster than light, go study neurology for 70 years and come back to me with a thought out conclusion to your "theory".

And plus to other people who make jokes about it, it's really not that funny to make fun of the physics of the universe of which created you.

Rydonmower
04-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I always thought light was a kind of energy, like heat, and it move through particles.

And I was thought, erm, thought was just the signals moving around our (respective) brains, and that light was way faster than that.

maisetofan
04-18-2009, 01:57 AM
L is faster :D lol im just being a tard

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
04-18-2009, 02:23 AM
IMO, Stupidity is the fastest thing in the universe, that or gossip.

maisetofan
04-18-2009, 02:50 AM
XD

XDXD LOL

VegitarianZombie
04-18-2009, 04:42 AM
What I don't think some people are getting is that I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE PHYSICAL ACT OF THINKING (which, as far as I know, happens in about 1/5th the time it takes to blink, but is still not as fast as light).

I will try to explain it a little more simply:

There is an infinite amount of places that would take years for a light beam (as most people call it) to travel to. Take Proxima Centauri. Probably the closest star to Earth (other than the Sun). A light beam would take (aproxamently) 4.22 years to get to it. I can imagine it, and thus "GO TO IT" (in a sense), in under a second. This is what I mean.

As for the S=D/T (Speed (or Rate) equals Distace divided by Time) argument that was made earlier.. that all depends on your theroys around perception and reality(did I REALLY "Go To" the star?).

OverMind
04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
There is an infinite amount of places that would take years for a light beam (as most people call it) to travel to. Take Proxima Centauri. Probably the closest star to Earth (other than the Sun). A light beam would take (aproxamently) 4.22 years to get to it. I can imagine it, and thus "GO TO IT" (in a sense), in under a second. This is what I mean.

Then you're really just comparing apples and oranges because being somewhere and thinking of being somewhere are completely different things. There's no criteria for a valid comparison. On the other hand, if the two things you were trying to compare were physical, this issue could easily be resolved by basing the comparison on speed (a physical criterion).

So, the question now is, what is your criterion for comparison? Keep in mind, it has to be something present for thoughts (non-physical entity) and light (physical entity). Once you state it, I guess it'll come down to all of us dissenters tearing it apart and looking for flaws.

ThePRPD
04-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Fortune cookies are faster for they are making me so happy and others with there designs that can make it go wap wap wap.

^
That makes no sense.
Randomness intended.

*is hit with a rusty shovel*

>>Kujirada<<
04-18-2009, 06:50 PM
LOL! I just read that like word for word in a kids book called "The Report Card" By Andrew Clements! Is that where you got it from?

ThePRPD
04-19-2009, 04:38 AM
LOL! I just read that like word for word in a kids book called "The Report Card" By Andrew Clements! Is that where you got it from?

Really? Odd coincidence. I just randomly typed that.

AdmiralAwesome
04-19-2009, 04:49 AM
This thread angers me

narutostarwars
04-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Jesus, people STILL are making fun of this SERIOUS discussion. I really don't see why people are posting sh*t in this thread if they're not being serious.