PDA

View Full Version : Your nations healthcare

Just a Canadian Eh
05-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Every country has healthcare, but hows your own countries. Canadas is great, we have good doctors, the goverment pays for everything, and we have a lower obiesity rate than our southern nieghbours. What about your own?

xsinvurt
05-02-2009, 01:47 PM
in Britain we have the NHS it provides healthcare to anyone normally resident in the United Kingdom with most services free at the point of use for the patient though there are charges associated with eye tests, dental care, prescriptions, and many aspects of personal care. :o so are Healthcare is pretty much the same as Canada :)

Just a Canadian Eh
05-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Exept we have long line at clinics. but depending how Ill, you are, you get to cut ahead. Also tourists get our care, but not illegal imagrants.

Spoofs3
05-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Jesus...
Irelands is in Shambles...
We stuck to a system more like the British old system before the NHS....
I barely ever go to the hospital even with Arm and leg sprains or breaks...
Hell, I fractured my knee and made a decision that it would be too expensive to go to the hospital so I waited it out (Seriously bad decision, Despite keeping the money, Pain surges up the leg every so often and causes a limp everry so often (not all the time))

As for me?
I am Half British, so if ever I need something done that will cost WAY too much down here?
Fuck this, I am going to Northern Ireland with my N.H.S. card.
I would rather give the British Government a minimum amount of money due to being a Citizen than my own country taking way too much...

Sometime sI think they want me to die... Oh wait! THEY DO! ^_^

maisetofan
05-02-2009, 07:36 PM
canada and england have good health systems, my family live in england and it sounds good.

New Zealands one is okay, not as bad as the states lol but not brilliant
We pay for doctors visits and medications but if you cannot afford the high costs, you get a subsidy card which lowers doctors visits and means you only pay between 3-5 dollars for each prescription

Hospital surgery and GP's in hospital are free
Dentist work done through the hospital system is free however there is a 6 month to Two year waiting list

we have health insurance and private hospitals for people who cannot wait, but the public hospital is really good, my parents both had surgery and it was handled very well and professionally and they did not pay a thing

Overall healthcare in NZ is similar to Australia

Aerodynamic
05-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Canadas is great, we have good doctors, the goverment pays for everything

Lol, I've heard nothing but horror stories about Canada's health care system. Long lines and setting up private clinics is illegal.

and we have a lower obiesity rate than our southern nieghbours.

That has absolutely nothing to do with health care.

Imo, I prefer Australia's system, since it's win-win and the most compromised. It basically has both a public and private sector, and if you choose to have private coverage, you get a tax cut so you won't be "paying twice" (which is why I dislike the NHS).

Also, stop saying that universal health care is "free". You're still paying, just in an indirect way.

Just a Canadian Eh
05-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Canada might have some long lines, but nothing to severe.

Aerodynamic
05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Canada might have some long lines, but nothing to severe.

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2009/Natasha_Richardson_dead_cc.jpg

lolwut

Just a Canadian Eh
05-03-2009, 02:42 PM
:eek:

Spoofs3
05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
God damn it... Why do all the COmmonwealth countries have the best Healthcare?
The only bad thing about being in the COmmonwealth is that Queen...

Anyways... Yeah, i have to say, The British is the best healthcare system I have heard of (Besides Cuba, But the doctors there are fleeing the system themselves due to being underpaid)

maisetofan
05-04-2009, 12:16 AM
the queen aint that bad, she has not done anything suspicious of late lolz

JesusRocks
05-04-2009, 02:09 PM
However, the NHS has terrible, terrible doctors, insanely long queues, incompetent nurses and filthy hospitals which caused the problem with MRSA in the first place...

3 people in my family have died now due to hospital incompetence.
- My Mother - toxic shock syndrome due to the hospital pumping her full of unnecessary drugs (and this was waay back in '95)
- My Grandfather on my Dad's side - kept being given the wrong drugs, and/or having them changed depending on the doctor or nurse who saw him
- My Grandfather on my Mother's side - misdiagnosed and failure to treat gangrene, and fluid in the lungs developed due to poor hospital care

Fat1Fared
05-04-2009, 02:28 PM
That has absolutely nothing to do with health care.

Imo, I prefer Australia's system, since it's win-win and the most compromised. It basically has both a public and private sector, and if you choose to have private coverage, you get a tax cut so you won't be "paying twice" (which is why I dislike the NHS).

Also, stop saying that universal health care is "free". You're still paying, just in an indirect way.

Though see what you are saying, the reason the NHS taxes both is because the poeple who normally go private can afford both and those who cannot afford private, in many cases cannot afford to other the rich, so it is forced paternalism really

JR, there is major problem in NHS, however it is not just incompetent, my granddad too by was kill my medial negligence, but my sister and mother both work in NHS and my gran worked in it, before she died. The problem isn't because of poor training, it comes down to government targets, lack of time/staff, too many unneeded free treatments, too much paper work and a highly deceasing moral in the NHS, really the whole thing needs breaking down and reforming, as it has grown too big to deal with its own task

Also it isn't all bad, my grandma was treated brilliantly by both her 2nd GP and the staff, in ward she was on

JesusRocks
05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Though see what you are saying, the reason the NHS taxes both is because the poeple who normally go private can afford both and those who cannot afford private, in many cases cannot afford to other the rich, so it is forced paternalism really

JR, there is major problem in NHS, however it is not just incompetent, my granddad too by was kill my medial negligence, but my sister and mother both work in NHS and my gran worked in it, before she died. The problem isn't because of poor training, it comes down to government targets, lack of time/staff, too many unneeded free treatments, too much paper work and a highly deceasing moral in the NHS, really the whole thing needs breaking down and reforming, as it has grown too big to deal with its own task

Also it isn't all bad, my grandma was treated brilliantly by both her 2nd GP and the staff, in ward she was on

I once had a brilliant GP, he treated me, my mother, my dad, grandad and nan... he was really great, and really annoyed at the hospital when my mum died. Unfortunately he was quite elderly, and passed away a couple of years ago, however his replacement actually is incompetent.

I agree that the system needs overhauling and sorting out, and I appreciate that it is not a lack of training that causes these incidents, but there are an appalling amount of incompetent doctors out there, and there will be, regardless of whether the system gets changed or not :(

Aerodynamic
05-04-2009, 03:20 PM
That's bureaucracy for you. I seriously don't want health care to be ran like the DMV or FEMA.

Fat1Fared
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
well, this doctor may be incompetent and if that is true, then it is very sad fact, however from what I'm told by mother and sister, who work in very different hospitals, generally the doctors are very good, however whether are or ain't is something I don't know personally, but their are mistakes out there, which need to be treated themselves

Personally I think medical negligence should be taken out of Tort law for all but most exstream cases, may sound a strange way of dealing with it, but think doctors would work better if didn't have fear of law suites hanging over them

Aninamar
05-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Polish health care. Oh God, Polish health care. We're on the lower end of the health care level in Europe.

We're really lacking in that department - the whole health care business is basically bankrupt, and there were a lot of strikes from underpaid doctors and nurses. It's really hard to get necessary operations in time, and sometimes you have to wait months to get your necessary doctor appointment.

I bet if it wasn't for volunteering people (like during WOSP, a big Polish event every year that focuses on getting money for new stuff in hospitals), we would be forced to use leeches for everything.

Orga777
05-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Anyways... Yeah, i have to say, The British is the best healthcare system I have heard of (Besides Cuba, But the doctors there are fleeing the system themselves due to being underpaid)

LOLZ! Let me guess... you got your information for that fact from Michael Moron's Sicko didn't you?

http://www.canf.org/Issues/medicalapartheid.htm

The Cuban Citizens don't see the same treatment I am afraid...

In anycase, continue, just thought that could use some clearing up... And I am in agreement with Aerodynamic's when it comes to Health Care. Having it run by the government makes it a huge mess and kills competance in doctors (and increases already too high taxes and will put the USA in even more debt that it REALLY doesn't need right now)... And look at it this way in the USA, the government fails at Medicare and Medicaid, what makes people think they will get Universal Healthcare right? Because they most definitely won't. Especially since Private Healthcare gets better treatments, no waiting lists, and quicker and better service (most of the time.)

Aerodynamic
05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
If you read history, you'll notice that health care was never an issue until Nixon put in the HMO law (the real problem). If government just butt out of health care and let the free market run it, prices would drop dramatically. Just because universal health care supposedly works in Europe is completely irrelevant.

Inflation is also another cause.

Orga777
05-05-2009, 03:01 PM
If you read history, you'll notice that health care was never an issue until Nixon put in the HMO law (the real problem). If government just butt out of health care and let the free market run it, prices would drop dramatically. Just because universal health care supposedly works in Europe is completely irrelevant.

Inflation is also another cause.

Well, Government can't do anything better than the Private Sector... execept make a big mess of bureaucracy out of it...

DaJacksterN
05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm in and out of the sick place quite often from sports injuries, so I'm glad Canada's got the system it does...

Sechmet
05-05-2009, 03:57 PM
The problem with healthcare in Slovakia is bad payment. People solve it with going abroad of course, hence the lack of doctors in our country. >.>