PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flue

Just a Canadian Eh
05-02-2009, 04:22 PM
The new flu that broke out in mexico. What are your feelings, do you think all the publicity it's getting is necisary or just causing mass paranoia.

DaJacksterN
05-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Swine flew? :O

Just a Canadian Eh
05-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, have you been living behind a rock the last week?

DaJacksterN
05-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Lol, no, I know about it. xD It just sounds so much like "Swine flew." Like, "Pigs fly." Or something.
>_>
<_<

I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY!

But in all honesty, I don't think we here have much to worry about. There were only 6 cases so far and they were all mild.

Just a Canadian Eh
05-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Actually more than 30 already in canada, and 9 in the toronto area.

DaJacksterN
05-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Shit, typo, I heard "16". But that WAS a while ago....
They were all mild though, right?

Just a Canadian Eh
05-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Most, But some were bad.

If swine flue simcoe county, i'm going to fill my room with food and water, and i won't come out until those people are well/dead.

Kanariya674
05-02-2009, 04:48 PM
La Gripe Porcina/Swine Flu/H1N1 Virus.

Seriously? It's overhyped. I went to the doctor recently, and he's had a patient with the case. He told me straight to my face, "the regular flu is worse than this." It has so much hype because it's new. Give it time, and it'll be treated and no one will worry about it.

Not saying it sucks. Cause that sucks.

MrsSallyBakura
05-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Swine flew? :O

xD

*ahem* Back to being srs...

I agree that it's over-hyped. The media is trying to cover something that isn't about the economy or what's actually going on in the oval office. It's kinda like how Fox News or CNN will start talking about Britney Spears' new baby or something when that doesn't have anything to do with, well, anything.

The cases are so bad in Mexico because many of the people who live there don't have proper access to medical assistance, or they finally have it when it's too late to do anything about it. Anyone who's been to Mexico (and not just the resorts) can tell you that Mexico and the United States aren't the same.

You should take proper care of yourself no matter what kind of germs are floating around. You shouldn't become paranoid just because this new thing came up. I mean for crying out loud, Obama was in Mexico meeting with their president while this was going on, before all the media attention, of course.

Spoofs3
05-02-2009, 06:29 PM
its over exaggerated...
Out of the THOUSANDS that have got it in mexico, 150 have died... And those few were the ones who A. Got it but didn't know it was Swine flu and just the Flu, And were in close contact with Pigs....
And on my little Island only one confirmed case is shown...
And yet it is Pandemic Level 5?
And Schools close at 6?
Seriously, Confusing to me...

OverMind
05-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Lol, no, I know about it. xD It just sounds so much like "Swine flew." Like, "Pigs fly." Or something.

The pun holds some truth because there's genetic material from the bird flu in the swine flu.

Interestingly, the swine flu doesn't come from pigs. Of course, that didn't stop Egypt from slaughtering 400,000 piggies as a safety precaution.

maisetofan
05-02-2009, 07:40 PM
well a group of students returned from mexico last week and thanks to them have brought the disease into N.Z so it has hit everywhere but no-one has died from it
lol i have had a virus recently and i thought in the back of my mind it could have been swine flu, see thats what the media does, it wants me to believe or think i have it

Even though half a million people die each year from non related viruses, for some reason we are all over this swine influenza

Aerodynamic
05-03-2009, 02:18 PM
It's been said that the day a black man is elected presidents, pigs will fly. 100 days into Obama's first term, swine flu.

maisetofan
05-04-2009, 12:16 AM
:( offensive remark

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
05-04-2009, 12:26 AM
an email from a friend of mine who happens to be a Emergency Medical Technician.

Quote:
I wish to take a moment to assure you all of just a few facts.

Hand washing in soap and water is perfectly effective. Just be mindful of what you are touching on your way out of the restroom. And if your hands a dirty simply avoid eating or touching your eyes, ears, nose and mouth.
Are alcohol based hand sanitizers effective? Yes, but proper hand washing is even more so. And as a sanitizer kills 99.8% of germs on contacts... what do you think that other 0.2% is doing? Its becoming resistant... Kind of like the Borg on Star Trek.

If you are looking for a safe and effective way to boost your immune system I have this recommendation. Go to some place like Wallgreens and get a product like "Air Born". One tablet in water, twice dally is more then effective.

Still worried about influenza (Swine or other)? I assure you, this is not the Black Plague of our day. It is like any other influenza strain, its just angrier cause it has an embarrassing name. The primary concern if you contract influenza hydration. Dehydration is the primary killer associated with influenza. So if your body is "dumping out fluids" in an attempt to clean you out, just keep putting fluids back in. Water and Gatorade are best for this.
When you find yourself developing a fever just remember that this is normal. Influenza can not adjust well to temperature changes. So this is your body's way of killing it. Just make sure you consult a medical professional like your family doctor to keep the fever in check.

But again I can not stress enough the importance of proper hand washing. And if you don't believe me, believe my immune system. I am around sick people day in and day out.

Also posted here.
http://forum.yugiohtheabridgedseries.com/showpost.php?p=599582&postcount=4434

IMO: the Swine Flu is much ado about nothing.

Yami Bakura's B
05-04-2009, 03:42 AM
swine flu isn't that big a deal. Ever notice that with each new US presidency, there has been mad panic about an epidemic?.......Clinton-> Mad Cow... Bush-> Bird Flu... Obama-> Swine Flu....Just plain weird.

loveistears
05-04-2009, 04:51 AM
[QUOTE=Yami Bakura's B;605792]swine flu isn't that big a deal. QUOTE]

I agree. It isn't a big deal guys. You have a 1 and 1,000 chance of dyeing from it and if you get the flu it's just like any other flu. You'll get over it.

Ishikawa Oshro
05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
tamaflu is a supposed treatment to it.

Orga777
05-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Just the next "OMG W3 R A11 G01NG 2 D13!1!!!1!!1" over-exaggerated, supposed pandemic that is going to wipe out millions of people. ANd you KNOW how much Cable News Networks love to get ratings by fear-mongering... so, it works... as long as something disasterous like in the 1970's from fear-mongering doesn't happen... that would be bad...

ggctuk
05-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Around about 60 people have caught it so far in the UK. None have died, and we have about 55 million people.

HeartRyou
05-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Fear makes money. Remember during the anthrax epidemic, every buffoon in the country was running out and buying gas masks regardless of whether or not they were at risk.

And again, I think racism plays a factor here. If it came to the US from Canada it wouldn't have been as a big a deal. But now all the racists can get more support to keep those "dirty Mexicans" over on their border. I heard France tried to stop all flights from Mexico but the EU wouldn't let them. Silly France. :)

darkarcher
05-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Swine flu is exactly what Sally said. It's a normal disease that has been blown out of proportion in order to distract America (and to a lesser extent the world) from more pressing matters.

More people die from the standard flu. Granted the standard flu is more widespread but the fact remains that swine flue isn't the great killer that people make it out to be.

It's just a political and media ploy.

EDIT: @ HeartRyou: The funny thing is that it originally developed in the southern US, crossed the border, mutated a bit more, then crossed back across the border.

LazySlacker
05-14-2009, 01:23 PM
It's funny that I haven't heard any news about it in two weeks.

darkarcher
05-14-2009, 08:40 PM
It's funny that I haven't heard any news about it in two weeks.

Really? I've been hearing about it every day.

TPishek
05-14-2009, 08:55 PM
tamaflu is a supposed treatment to it.

Tamaflu is a scam. I saw it on the news yesterday...

MrsSallyBakura
05-15-2009, 12:44 AM
There was a girl at my brothers' high school who caught swine flu. Before the CDC grew a couple of brain cells, they forced the school to close for a week, cancelling all sports activities and events (prom was supposed to be that week, by the way). Of course, they were only out of school for 2 days because by Tuesday the CDC finally realized that closing school was mentally retarded, so they were able to come back on Wednesday.

The girl has to be quarantined from the rest of her family. Which is a bit extreme, IMO. Just a bit. :P

The high school my brothers go to is a Catholic high school. There's a Catholic church nearby that many of the students go to. That church now is banning handshakes during the Kiss of Peace (so now they just have to make peace signs or whatever), they're not allowed to receive communion on the tongue, and there won't be any Precious Blood (or wine, for those of you non-Catholics out there).

It's very, very hard not to headdesk at these sorts of things. I just can't believe that my Church is paranoid about all this. >_>

You know, I'm glad to be out of the country right now. I don't have to listen to my dad watching Fox News everyday.

Orga777
05-15-2009, 01:08 AM
You know, I'm glad to be out of the country right now. I don't have to listen to my dad watching Fox News everyday.

Oh it isn't just Fox News... it is all of them... Which is why, even though I like Fox News more than the other joke networks, they are still not great themselves.... Only watch from 3:00-6:00 and could care less about the rest of it. XD

Swine Flu... God... it is only a faze... the media and the morons in power around the globe will all forget it soon and find something else to overhype and make people fear to distract the public.