PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control (Women Only)

HeartRyou
05-17-2009, 09:50 PM
I thought it would be nice to have a forum discussing birth control. Not about whether sex or abortion are good or bad, but birth control as it relates to female health. Women have many options to choose from and it can be a very confusing topic. Does anyone have a personal preference for one over the other? Does anyone believe that it shouldn't be used at all? Is anyone concerned about side effects?

I for one have trouble with those pills that came out that promise one period a year. It just seems unnatural. But that's my opinion.

Again, I want this to be an educational tool. And I made this women only because I don't want a debate in here, this is for women to express their experiences and concerns as it relates to the female body. Not for snarky comments or "I wish my girlfriend would use blah blah blah..."

Apple
05-17-2009, 10:50 PM
well im on the pill and its great, although if u want to miss your periods all you do is continue taking it every single day of the month but its not very healthy to do that :)

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
05-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Ring/ Condom combo right here.

HeartRyou
05-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I've heard the ring to be very hit or miss. Women either really love it or really hate it. And you have to be really comfortable with your body to put it in and out. But you've already had a baby so that little ring must seem like nothing. :)

Anyways, here are some side effects associated with hormone treatments.

Common Side Effects for Combination Contraceptives
o Weight gain
o Increase or decrease in acne
o Nausea and vomiting (particularly for the first few cycles)
o Dizziness
o Headaches
o Depression
o Vaginal infections
o High blood pressure
o Loss of libido
Less Common Serious Health Complications
o Blood clots in legs, lungs, heart or brain
o Stroke
o Liver tumors (rare)
o Heart attacks
o Gallstones (rare)
o Jaundice (rare)
o Possibly cervical cancer
Common Side Effects for Progestin Only Contraceptives
o Spotting and irregular vaginal bleeding
o Longer periods
o Amenorrhea for extend periods
o Headaches
o Anxiety and nervousness
o Pain in lower abdominals
o Dizziness
o Loss of libido
o Depression
o Increase or decrease in acne
o Skin rash or darkened patches of skin
o Appetite changes
o Weight gain
o Tender breasts
o Increase or decrease in facial and body hair
o Possibly hair loss
o Vaginal discharge
o Bone density loss
o Enlarged ovarian follicles
o Pain or itching (usually for a brief period of time)
o Norplant users: infection at the site of implantation
Less Common Serious Health Complications
o Ectopic pregnancy
o Certain cancers

Source. (http://www.epigee.org/guide/medfaq.html#sideeffects)

Anyone had any of these?

DaJacksterN
05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
How about....ABSTINANCE!! :thatface:

I kid. I dunno about any of this stuff, so....meh. :/

Shae
05-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey, abstinence is a form of birth control; the only one that works 100% all the time. ;)
The pills have always kind of freaked me out with all their side effects. I have an aunt who was taking a pill, she was very active and healthy, but she had a stroke. It was linked back to the birth control. @_@

mystra
05-18-2009, 06:35 PM
There was a girl I worked with a few years ago on the patch that ended up with blood clots. She had some pains and went to the doctor a day later. She was tolde to discontinue and had to undergo treatment for the clots as they almost reached her heart.

I've debated for years trying the pill but to me the side effects are just not worth it.

HeartRyou
05-18-2009, 06:38 PM
I've heard that the patch is more dangerous than the pill.

loveistears
05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I beleive every women should be able to have some form of birth control available to them, for free. Cause what happens if you're raped? Yeah, there is the morning after pill but I know a lot of people who don't want to do that. I wanna be on birth control really badly. I hate not being on it. Yeah, there are some problems to it like being allergic to the glue with the patch, and weight loss/gain but it's worth it.

HeartRyou
05-18-2009, 09:03 PM
I beleive every women should be able to have some form of birth control available to them, for free. Cause what happens if you're raped?

I'm not really sure if that's a good reason to be on the pill. :( And even if you are raped, you won't get pregnant but you could still get a terrible STD like AIDS. Maybe you mean abortive mechanisms?

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
How about a needle and Thread? (to sew female knees together)

In the past,
I've used Condoms, the Pill, and now the ring.
I'm comfortable with the ring, and don't even feel it.
I want to try the Depo shot, but a side effect of the shot can be Depression, being Bipolar, that's not necesarily a good idea.

loveistears
05-18-2009, 09:04 PM
You can get pregnet from being raped. As long as you have sexual intercorse you can.

loveistears
05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
lolz. I'm bipolar too so I know how u feel

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
You can get pregnet from being raped. As long as you have sexual intercorse you can.

Depends what part of your cycle the rape occcurs, but yes.

If you get to a Doctor or Hospital right away, within 72 hours after the rape, you can start the hunt for the criminal that raped you and get a really strong Birth Control pill that is 60% effective in preventing pregnancy.

It can be known as the "Morning After Pill"

HeartRyou
05-18-2009, 09:31 PM

I meant that even if you were on the pill when you were raped it wouldn't help against STDs.

TPishek
05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Well, no, the only form of birth control that protects against STDs at all is condoms.

loveistears
05-18-2009, 09:34 PM
oh well ya nothing really does. some things help a little but not 100 percent.

gcar- yeah which makes sence because who would want a rape child. I know thats bad to say but everytime you look at it you'll be reminded of it.

darkrunner
05-18-2009, 10:28 PM
My view that will be shared by few, and so is somewhat pointless to post; don't have sex. Or Natural Family Planning, actually. It's really accurate, and married couples that use it have a 2% divorce rate.

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
gcar- yeah which makes sence because who would want a rape child. I know thats bad to say but everytime you look at it you'll be reminded of it.

Ever watch Law & Order: SVU? the girl detective, Olivia was a child of Rape.

maisetofan
05-19-2009, 12:31 AM
I beleive every women should be able to have some form of birth control available to them, for free. Cause what happens if you're raped? Yeah, there is the morning after pill but I know a lot of people who don't want to do that. I wanna be on birth control really badly. I hate not being on it. Yeah, there are some problems to it like being allergic to the glue with the patch, and weight loss/gain but it's worth it.

it is free in this country, if you really cannot afford it
the sexual health centre hands free contraception and morning after pills out
but i do not know of such things cuz i am still planning to wait until i is married :thatface:

HeartRyou
05-19-2009, 01:01 PM
In the US there are clinics where you can get condoms and morning after pills for free I believe. But with chemical birth control you're on your own. But it's only about 15USD per month with a good insurance plan.

mystra
05-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, no, the only form of birth control that protects against STDs at all is condoms.

Sorry but NOTHING protects from STDs at all.

HeartRyou
05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry but NOTHING protects from STDs at all.

Yeah. So about the rape thing, you're better staying vigilant and trying to prevent it from happening in the first place. I don't think that there are any rape victims out there who think, "Thank God I was on the pill when this happened." And some people do raise the resulting children and love them. Or give them up for adoption.

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
05-19-2009, 06:56 PM
it is free in this country, if you really cannot afford it
the sexual health centre hands free contraception and morning after pills out
but i do not know of such things cuz i am still planning to wait until i is married :thatface:

Go to any public health clinic and you can receive FREE condoms.
In some places you can also get Birth control pills, but you would need an exam and a preliminary Pregancy test to make SURE you AREN'T pregnant.

That's how I found out about Mi Angelita.

HeartRyou
05-23-2009, 06:00 PM
In case there's any other pro-life people in this forum, this is a fantastic article about the birth control pill and its abortifacient effects. Even if you're not pro-life, part one does a great job of explaining how the pill works in easy to understand terms.

Does the Birth Control Pill Cause Abortions? (http://www.jesus-passion.com/bcpill1.html)

Suga Baybee
06-04-2009, 04:47 PM
thanks ryou...i feel very informed now. I never knew that was how the pill work

even if I not planning on having sex for a long time

HeartRyou
06-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Aww, thanks. :) I'm glad someone got some use out of the article. Doctors sometimes aren't very forthcoming about how birth control works or possible side effects so it's important to investigate thoroughly, keeping in mind biases from different sources. Even if you won't be needing it for a while it's always better to have a plan prepared (or at least have your choices narrowed down) so you don't get overwhelmed when the time comes to choose.

MrsSallyBakura
06-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Being Catholic, I don't see a reason for me to really need birth control if/when I have sex.

I took a Biology class last year and my professor would say, in order to avoid getting HIV, "Always wear a condom! Because every person you had sex with is going to be present with whoever you're having sex with now, and vice-versa. Know your partner's history." He meant in spreading germs, of course. So he didn't even say, "Wear a condom!" in terms of actual birth control, but rather as a way to decrease your chances of getting HIV.

To my surprise, towards the end of the semester when we were talking about the female reproductive system, he encouraged us to use the rhythm method (or Natural Family Planning, as Catholics like to call it) after we're clear that your partner either hasn't had sex with anyone before or your partner got tested for STDs and none came up. He essentially said that if a woman takes her temperature everyday for 9 months and is healthy enough for regular periods and you mark your dates on your calendar, you're guaranteed to know exactly when you should/shouldn't have sex. Plus, you can also use this method if you WANT to get pregnant. Unlike other forms of birth control, you can use this to help determine when to have sex so that you can have a baby, while the other ones are for purely avoiding pregnancies.

It's something that isn't really taught all that well, even in anti-contraception classes or whatever.

Kiya
06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Well SallyBakura, birth control doesnt help prevent HIV and all that. JUST pregnecy, so when taking it you should still always wear a condom. But like you said, your catholic so your not having sex untill your married, correct? So birth control may not be needed if your wanting a child at that time with your spouse.

I'm on birth control right now. Origionally it was because my (now ex) bf was going to visit but theres a HUGE long story with that, but he didnt come up so...I really never needed them. My mom and I have decided to keep me on the pill though because it helps regulate my period. I'm on another pill for anti-depressence and I get a lot worse during my period, so now I know when to expect when Im going to be worse and aviod certin things. I'm not currentlly dating so, no, im not sexually active which I do feel kind of bad for still being on the pill.

MrsSallyBakura
06-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Well SallyBakura, birth control doesnt help prevent HIV and all that. JUST pregnecy, so when taking it you should still always wear a condom.

I know that. Condoms, while designed to prevent pregnancy, also happen to decrease the chances of getting HIV. It's the only contraception that does that, I believe.

Eia
06-05-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm not currentlly dating so, no, im not sexually active which I do feel kind of bad for still being on the pill.

Kiya: I don't think any woman should feel bad for putting herself on the pill. There used to be an old stigma that girls on the pill were, well, sluts, but it's just not true. Since science has provided women the ability to take charge of their bodies, I think we should actively use it to our benefits. Not doing so simply because of ignorant opinions is a waste.

Sally: Not to seem rude, but that method seems... very likely to fail. o_o

I've been on the pill for 8 years, the same brand, with relative ease.

A lot of girls are afraid to take the pill for fear of weight gain. But for me, it actually prevented weight gain.

My one side-effect, however, has been slight depression. I know this because I've had to skip a week or two on taking it due to just not having the money to buy my medicine (please don't get me started on how insurance companies refuse to cover any form of birth control, pill or not, under their coverages, regardless of medical usage), and for those few time spans I feel... normal? Like I have energy and thoughts and whatnot. For me, that has been the one side effect I've had to deal with in exchange for a normal menstrual cycle. If I don't take the pill, I don't have periods. It's like I permanently took one of those "one period a year" drugs without having done so. xD

mystra
06-06-2009, 02:01 AM
He essentially said that if a woman takes her temperature everyday for 9 months and is healthy enough for regular periods and you mark your dates on your calendar, you're guaranteed to know exactly when you should/shouldn't have sex.

A woman's cycle is never totally regular as there are too many outside factors that prohibit it from being so. This has nothing to do with being "healthy enough" or "not healthy enough". Stress, age, medications are just a few that can and will through your body out of whack. I'm sorry but your teacher doesn't know what he is talking about if he tolde you "you're guaranteed". There are "safer" times but even that varies from woman to woman.
As someone who does and has had sex I can tell you nothing is perfect. You can get pregnant on the pill, you can get pregnant by "pulling out" (my daughter was conceived this way), and you can get pregnant using condoms (my son was conceived when the condom broke). As for STDs a condom can help but it is NOT a safe guard. Do your research. Condom companies and doctors will tell you all of these things. The only way not to get an STD or get pregnant is to just not have sex.

MrsSallyBakura
06-06-2009, 11:22 AM
The only way not to get an STD or get pregnant is to just not have sex.

This is true. lol

I don't really trust the pill though... I wouldn't want to have to deal with the side effects. I especially don't trust the pill that makes you skip your period. I think that can especially mess with your entire cycle.

Eia, you don't get periods when you're not on the pill? That's the kind of thing I don't trust about it... if I ever want children someday then I don't think I should do anything to mess with all that.

Even if your periods are irregular, it's not like you have to stop taking your temperature every morning at some point. If stress, age, and medication are an issue, then just keep taking your temperature. I'm fairly certain your body temperature will still be raised a few days before your period starts. Of course there are illnesses and fevers and whatnot and of course anything can interfere with your body, but other than that I don't think it's "doomed for failure" or anything like that. It's not perfect, but it can work just as well as any other form of birth control if done correctly. It just requires a similar kind of routine that taking the pill every morning does.

HeartRyou
06-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Just to clarify, the term birth control doesn't mean specifically the pill, it refers to any contraceptive method. ^^

I agree about Seasonique being suspicious. The company claims it's safe but that's because a. they have a product to sell and b. it's relatively new. Anytime you make those kind of hormonal changes to your body there are going to be side effects. The pill has valid medical purposes (again, I'm pro-life so anything with abortive properties will be off my pregnancy-prevention list) but four periods a year really does seem unnatural. Does anyone remember those Yaz commercials that made it seem like it was the best thing since sliced bread? And now they have to fess up in their new commercials that it's not all they said it was. :P

Eia
06-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Eia, you don't get periods when you're not on the pill? That's the kind of thing I don't trust about it... if I ever want children someday then I don't think I should do anything to mess with all that.

Sally, I have health issues. The pill fixes them for me. I stopped having periods before I started taking the pill.

Also, I know people who have gotten pregnant while ON the pill, so it's not a 100% guarantee to prevent pregnancy either. Mystra was right in saying the only way to prevent pregnancy and STDs is to not have sex. xD

maisetofan
06-06-2009, 08:28 PM
yeah im with Eia on that. I had period issues so i went on the pill to regulate it, the pill is not only used when a woman is sexually active, its used to control periods, and regulate cycles etc.

yes remaining abstinent will guarantee you are STD free, but how abstinent? i mean never having sex your entire life or waiting until you are married or engaged?

MrsSallyBakura
06-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Sally, I have health issues. The pill fixes them for me. I stopped having periods before I started taking the pill.

Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

HeartRyou
06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Sometimes staying on the pill for only about a year is enough to fix menstrual issues, but it doesn't work for everybody. I'd rather not be on it any more than I have to. A friend of mine was also forced to take the pill after she started taking acutane, though I'm not really sure why.

maisetofan
06-12-2009, 02:27 AM
yeah i would rather not be on it either, which is why i stopped, it gave me blood clots and cramps in my feet, and i have found with regular exercise and the right metabolism medication, the periods do tend to slowly regulate.

and i have heard that a diaphragm is a good option but again, its not 100% effective against pregnancy and certainly not STDS, just like an IUD injection, which only prevents pregnancy and i wish people would realize its not just pregnancy, in fact thats actually the least of the worries, its the most natural unlike hideous diseases which can affect reproductive organs and in some cases grow to be cancerous, my sisters friend used to be a prostitute and only used the pill and she now has cervical cancer which the doctors told her was brought on by the over use of her cervix, to but it bluntly

xoTayGirl
06-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm on a specialized birth control bill that makes me virtually period-less, but it's designed to be healthy and still regulates my body the way it should be, so I get the occasional symptoms. But the point of me going on it was to stop the fact that I was getting violently ill each month and missing school because I was home throwing up all the time, and it caused me to go for days with eating next to nothing because I couldn't keep it down. I know I'm not the only one out there who has those complications, and I'm all for the pill because it can be a life saver. It's not just about the sex aspect in this sense. It's also about personal health.

Suga Baybee
06-15-2009, 11:24 PM
I really like this discussion :) I think it should be changed so that the females of the forum could just discuss other serious topics too