PDA

View Full Version : Are minors inferior to adults?

divine1
05-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Minors are treated differently in different times and cultures. Not long ago, it was considered perfectly okay to hit a child if they did something wrong in school, now mostly it is not. Sometimes minors are treated as less than human. Not to long ago, if a kid was getting picked on by other kids, or if bullying, fighting, etc. Took place, most adults would just say "stupid kids" and move on. At school, I see very stupid/poor behavior, but of course, with age and experience comes maturity. (I'm 14, for your information.)

Thoughts?

HolyShadow
05-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Minors are treated differently in different times and cultures. Not long ago, it was considered perfectly okay to hit a child if they did something wrong in school, now mostly it is not. Sometimes minors are treated as less than human. Not to long ago, if a kid was getting picked on by other kids, or if bullying, fighting, etc. Took place, most adults would just say "stupid kids" and move on. At school, I see very stupid/poor behavior, but of course, with age and experience comes maturity. (I'm 14, for your information.)

Thoughts?
Yes. Minors are inferior to adults, and most of the time, if they think they're equal or superior, then they just have a complex.

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
05-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I thought that Snow White's Seven Dwarves WERE adults, (they were minors.)

anyways, it's different for everybody.

In my case,
I was never a teenager. Shortly after my parents separated, and I was living solely with my mother, our family roles switched, figuratively, to where I became the parent and my mother became the child.

DaJacksterN
05-20-2009, 09:58 PM
I'd say some adults are inferior to some minors...

HolyShadow
05-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd say some adults are inferior to some minors...
But almost all minors think they're superior to almost all adults.

divine1
05-20-2009, 10:05 PM
But almost all minors think they're superior to almost all adults.

I don't.

DaJacksterN
05-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Only the stupid ones do.

HolyShadow
05-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Only the stupid ones do.
*Doesn't say it*

I said nothing. Nothing at all. *Whistles*

DaJacksterN
05-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't think I'm superior to all adults. I know I'm better than some, but not even most.
I doubt my friends to either. But we're anything but submissive.

OverMind
05-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Child prodigies, by their very label, are superior to average adults.

DaJacksterN
05-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Good point. I know for a fact that I am intillectually superior right now than a 40-year old man with a mental disability that makes him think at the level of a 10-year-old.

Oath
05-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Minors are not Inferior, just some adults think we are because we dont have the experience they have. We equal per say but the fact that adults were alive longer then minors gives then more Exp in certain areas. EXample: Minors now about pop culture, we know about Yugioh n what not, most adults wonldnt now becuz they are too busy tryin to gain Life exp to excel in their jibs and over all life they now of taxes n what not(agian this is all an exaple, a very stero typical one >.< but n example non the less) n if the minor had n intrest in acounting n taxes n business that minor would be "equal" to that adult, same for the adult could have an interest for pop culture n anime and even Yugioh. Its just that in socirty Adults a obligated to be "mature" Responsible and there to provide, minors on the other hand are not obliged by society to do so. so our interest and views and experience areas are usually diferent. adults and minors are basiclly equal only we have different knowledge in different areas. Kinda one kart n Mari Kart can have Super speed but slow acceleration and another can have super acceleration and low top speed.

HolyShadow
05-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Minors are not Inferior, just some adults think we are because we dont have the experience they have. We equal per say but the fact that adults were alive longer then minors gives then more Exp in certain areas. EXample: Minors now about pop culture, we know about Yugioh n what not, most adults wonldnt now becuz they are too busy tryin to gain Life exp to excel in their jibs and over all life they now of taxes n what not(agian this is all an exaple, a very stero typical one >.< but n example non the less) n if the minor had n intrest in acounting n taxes n business that minor would be "equal" to that adult, same for the adult could have an interest for pop culture n anime and even Yugioh. Its just that in socirty Adults a obligated to be "mature" Responsible and there to provide, minors on the other hand are not obliged by society to do so. so our interest and views and experience areas are usually diferent. adults and minors are basiclly equal only we have different knowledge in different areas. Kinda one kart n Mari Kart can have Super speed but slow acceleration and another can have super acceleration and low top speed.
Not quite. They have plenty of culture knowledge, just knowledge 30 years ago. In which case, they used to have old pop culture knowledge. In 30 years, our knowledge of pop culture will be useless as well.

I say our because currently, I have some knowledge of pop culture, so I can probably group myself with minors despite my technical age.

Either way, until I'm 21, I've less rights than a minor, really.

divine1
05-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Mmm...does being good at video games count as real knowledge?

I suppose.

Oath
05-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Mmm...does being good at video games count as real knowledge?

I suppose.

its of topic, but yes cuase knowledge is when you KNOW something, knowing how to play videogames well is knowledge, but sadlly most times that wolrd frowns on such knowledge and deems it "useless to the real world"

Oath
05-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Not quite. They have plenty of culture knowledge, just knowledge 30 years ago. In which case, they used to have old pop culture knowledge. In 30 years, our knowledge of pop culture will be useless as well.

I say our because currently, I have some knowledge of pop culture, so I can probably group myself with minors despite my technical age.

Either way, until I'm 21, I've less rights than a minor, really.

yeah thnx for correcting me there, know ledge of the "current" generation in popular culture.

btw im 17...im gettin old >.< i don wanna grow up

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
05-21-2009, 12:21 AM
you're all a bunch of damn kids. XD

Age ain't nothing but a number folks.
I have an Uncle that's 10 years older than me but acts 10 years younger than me.

OverMind
05-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Age ain't nothing but a number folks.

I'd hope it'd be more complicated than that since people tend to get smarter (in all intelligences) as they get older.

Spoofs3
05-21-2009, 09:07 AM
I am actually quite young, Not old enough yet to vote and I consider myself quite intellegent.
Certainly not iferior to most adults in fact quite equal as I know plenty of over 18s and we get along fine and I am in no means inferior to them :V

Fat1Fared
05-21-2009, 09:35 AM
I think everyone is looking at this in way too simple a way, I mean really we don't even know, what the question we are answering is yet.
-I mean here are 3 questions, which need answering first:-

1=when do we go from being A minior to an adult? Is same standard for everyone?

2=What, do we mean when say Inferior and superior?
-I mean are saying, superior at being human
-Superior at knowledge
-superior at skills
-superior at juedgment making

3=Can we really group all poeple together, as everyone has different skills and talents:

-Lets take my fav game, paintballing, I always get made leader of my teams, as I'm brilliant at leading and making Strategies, with cool and logical head on my shoulders and personality to force myself on a group, but I cannot shoot for Shit, I couldn't hit a barn door from 2 yards, so without other poeples who are stronger and fitter than me, I cannot forfil my plans, however the stronger and fitter players, wont win without me guiding them to victory, and directing thier strenghts in way in which uses abitilies effectively. So in truth niether side is superior as both sides need the other side, and, if that is true, then maybe, when it goes with age, the same thing is true.

-lets take it from this angle, Wilksure, is a 16year old Footballor of amazing ability, is he superiour to Jim, a 65 year old man who has been unskilled worker all his life and we can turn question on its head and say just because Jim has exp, that Wilksure lacks, is jim better than Wilksure?

No as both Wilksure and Jim, will have done and seen different things, and though Wilksure, will be famous for his skills and Jim won't, there will be things Jim can do, that Wilksure cannot and vice-versa.

I truly, believe no human is useless at everthing and no humans, no matter how skilled or smart or....etc, is better than another human, as in end, like with my simple example of Paintballing team, everyones skills come together, to balance out the others weakness's.

You cannot have a world of brilliant thinkers, without workers to put thought into action, cannot have world of brilliant workers without anyone to think how to use those workers.

The main thing age gives you is experince, but even then, everyone lives a different life and does 32 year old sally, who has lived a sheltered upper class life and never seen world past her garden fence really have more exp than Gemma, girl of 14 who grew up on streets. We are all to individual and have too many different skills/factors to answer this question
-and whether you agree with my balance theory or not, one thing we can say is that age is too simple a thing to judge human worth on without looking at human behind the age and other factors which effect it.

And like said at start, this is a 42 question, where don't know answer as we don't even know question yet ^_- (Come on, got to know what I'm on aout now)

OverMind
05-21-2009, 11:45 AM
I am actually quite young, Not old enough yet to vote and I consider myself quite intellegent.
Certainly not iferior to most adults in fact quite equal as I know plenty of over 18s and we get along fine and I am in no means inferior to them :V

Because, you know, that isn't biased in any way whatsoever.

Insane
05-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Let's question the question...
Inferior in what way?
That question is too open-ended
It will always create conflicting viewpoints.

Intellectually I feel that many minors are superior to adults, work by IQ, my IQ was last tested at 152, and yet, many people, both younger and older have an IQ lower than mine, and some have and IQ higher.

In more physical regards; age plays a vital part, many sportsmen and women play best at various ages, normally around 28-29, but it can vary wildly depending on the sport in question. This would indicate that adults are better. This assumption is probably correct, the best adult football player, is almost definitely than the best minor at the same sport.

So in answer to the original question, yes and no, both, and neither, it is solely dependent on the matter to which this question is being applied. As it is, it is far too open-ended to answer .

Turtlicious
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
be more specific

CHERRYBBY ?!
05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
i was actually kind of thinking about this today.

i work at a school, inside the preschool wing (i'm pretty much an aide). there's a room there for toddlers and babies (usually the those of the staff). anyway, there are two women who work in the room. the first woman's child had fractured her arm not too long ago, and ended up hurting it again when she was put into her stroller. since i'm an aide for pretty much the whole wing, i was asked to take her place, to help the other woman. and let me tell you, the next four hours was probably the toughest i've ever experienced, because i was pretty much on my own. this woman, a person in her forties, could barely handle anything. she could feed the babies, but that was basically it. she was terribly irresponsible, and in a way, i felt like i was babysitting HER. me, a girl turning eighteen and clinging to her childhood, babysitting a middle aged woman.

so my answer? no. not at all. inferiority has nothing to do with age. maybe in some senses, yes. you wouldn't expect a ten year old child to know the things an adult knows. but in some cases, it doesn't depend on age.

HeartRyou
05-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Sometimes minors are treated as less than human.

It would be nice if you gave more specific examples. Also, minors is a very wide age group.

Fat1Fared
05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Let's question the question...
Inferior in what way?
That question is too open-ended
It will always create conflicting viewpoints.

Intellectually I feel that many minors are superior to adults, work by IQ, my IQ was last tested at 152, and yet, many people, both younger and older have an IQ lower than mine, and some have and IQ higher.

In more physical regards; age plays a vital part, many sportsmen and women play best at various ages, normally around 28-29, but it can vary wildly depending on the sport in question. This would indicate that adults are better. This assumption is probably correct, the best adult football player, is almost definitely than the best minor at the same sport.

So in answer to the original question, yes and no, both, and neither, it is solely dependent on the matter to which this question is being applied. As it is, it is far too open-ended to answer .

be more specific

Did anyone read what I put????

Insane
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Did anyone read what I put????

Yes, but we are asking for a specific area, maybe one of the ones you spoke of, maybe not

Spoofs3
05-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Because, you know, that isn't biased in any way whatsoever.

Its easier to consider those you know most, Sides I have to make a biased result of myself, There are about... 80% of people my age that don't deserve life in my opinion, Let alone being let away with being inferior...

And yeah, The majority really does let down the Minority in this situation, Because I have friends who do much more for society than most adults do and even went to Africa to help starving children in need.
I would much more trust them than the bunch of fools who are running this country :V

HEIL FUHRER COWEN (He won't give up his position as government leader although the majority wants him gone... An elected dictatorship eh?)

Fat1Fared
05-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Hail the Elected Dictatorship, Hail Parlimentary Surpremacy, Hail Decomcracy failing once more

Spoofs, lest your dictator was elected, ours got in by default, that and the fact that most british poeple think that not voting will somehow make their ideals be heard

Seriously, though we only have ourselves to blame, anyone who thought to look at political report knew Tony was out and the fact is, we moaned about them for 10years, and still voted them in for 3rd time >.<

Then again,whoever we vote it will still fail as none of them have brains to realise what they could actually do with thier power and spend all time, trying to get rich by fiddling rules

Insane, I see, sorry didn't realise you were agreeing with me, just thought putting what I put again (as for ones I put, they were examples not answers lol)

Aninamar
05-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Of course they are. Like hell.
As a racist nut whose middle school is connected to his primary school, I call the dumb little kids that swarm me "pygmies". I have every right to say that humanity is doomed because in 21st Century, we will be swarmed by pygmies.

The other meaning of a pygmy in my book:
A loud-mouthed, dumb kid whose parents don't even care about his raising and therefore he gets away with the profanity reserved only for the meanest drill sergeants.

Every day, I'm depressed at how often do I have to remind me that, although I'm not a freaky fish guy, I will definitely choke a bitch if I see another kid from Primary trying to cuss out me or his classmates. At times like this, I thank God for my Pulp Fiction quote repertoire and rather huge posture (although most of it being fat, as I'm not a huge fan of work out, it works).

I lost count on how many times a bunch of kids who could possibly pleasure me a little without having to crouch (I mean, of course, helping me tying my tie or something like that.) were miserably failing at standing up to me and usually were demolished by either wit or simply brute force when they scrambled their pesky amount of insults together that doesn't even impress their (normal) classmates.

I think I'm actually from the generation that started seeing the first pygmies. Most of the people I knew from my primary could possibly describe how to sixty-nine - in detail. And were rather open at certain things.

The end is nigh. Repent.

OverMind
05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
I think the thread just broke. It doesn't help that it was in a wheelchair to begin with.

Aninamar
05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
It doesn't help that it was in a wheelchair to begin with.

It applies to the whole forum, really.

caps
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
different =\= superior\inferior.