PDA

View Full Version : Social Security

~p0key
07-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Anyone notice how it all has all the elements of a Ponzi scheme? Social Security does not make any real investments -- it just takes money from later "investors," or taxpayers, to pay benefits to earlier, now retired, taxpayers. Like Ponzi, Social Security will not be able to recruit new "investors" fast enough to continue paying promised benefits to previous investors. Because each year there are fewer young workers relative to the number of retirees, Social Security will eventually collapse, just like Ponzi's scheme.

Anyone else believe Social Security should be abolished?

HolyShadow
07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
My mother had a heart attack due to overworking her heart because her job at a supermarket forced her to do much more physical labor than a woman of her stature should do.

She now lives on disability with 49% of her heart not functioning properly.

Without those monthly checks, she wouldn't be able to afford her medications/health insurance.

If that happened, she would die within a month.

Disability is a division of social security, so no, social security is a good thing in my eyes.

Not to say anything about the jackasses who don't work and don't want to despite being in perfect physical condition to do pretty much anything...

darkarcher
07-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Keep in mind that most people reaping the benefits of Social Security are those who have paid into it for the past 50 years.

Unlike, say, welfare, a large portion of social security actually comes back to the people who spent it.

You make a valid point in saying that it's losing money. That much is true. Eventually the social security funds will run out and something needs to be done before it. However, in regards to your main question, no I don't think social security should be abolished. It just needs cleaning up.

darkarcher
07-20-2009, 04:42 PM
~p0key I'm going to be nice and assume you didn't read my other warning, but your post just now is easily a bannable offense. Don't do it again.

~p0key
07-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Again, truth hurts.

Fat1Fared
07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Man, this the area my job is in, I could have given him, a 10 page eassy on what rubbish he was talking about, soical Security, is one of best benefits going, just like dark said needs watching, however not sure about USA, but here unless you have been working 5 years, cannot even get it, and then it is limited:-

Just one thing, I work with lot of unemployed poeple (as both clients and co-workers) and trust me, not many of them are lazy bumps, most are actually out for valid reasons (IE, 4 of poeple I work with are ex-lawyers, who lost their jobs in the depression,) not all, but many are
=and benefits are (well here at lest) far less giving than may think

darkarcher
07-20-2009, 05:03 PM
however not sure about USA,

The main problem with Social Security in the USA is that when it was first conceived a lot of people were placed on it before they had ever paid enough SS tax to pay for the money they would later receive, so now money is being drained at a considerably faster rate than it is being put in, placing stress on the system.

Fat1Fared
07-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Well I can see that being problem, here it has been about sense 40's, however there tech it was in long before that (around 1914 or something,) in another all be simpler system, under different name, so lot of bugs have been made better, but like all systems, it is far from prefect,

just done some light reading on it, in USA, love the fact that according to USA's sources, it was brillient American idea <sigh>

darkarcher
07-20-2009, 05:15 PM
just done some light reading on it, in USA, love the fact that according to USA's sources, it was brillient American idea <sigh>

According to the liberal media, everything done by the Democratic party was a brilliant idea.

The same can be said about the conservative media and the Republicans.

HolyShadow
07-20-2009, 05:16 PM
According to the liberal media, everything done by the Democratic party was a brilliant idea.

The same can be said about the conservative media and the Republicans.
Ronald Reagan = Poster Girl

AsterGray
07-20-2009, 05:20 PM
however there tech it was in long before that (around 1914 or something,) in another all be simpler system, under different name,

Yeah, it was the liberal reforms of 1914, If i remember right...

I'm pretty sure it was Bismarck actually. Either that or Kaiser Whilhelm, I can't remember who...

Fat1Fared
07-20-2009, 05:31 PM
yer, thought it was german idea, done by German Chancellor, but wasn't 100% sure, whatever, it was long before New Deal was ever thought of in USA (and lets face, it the Germans problaby nicked it from someone else lol)

I was trying to find out info on it, but like most things, many sources on it, are limited and needed to pay to use, (and national SSC site here is crap)

AsterGray
07-20-2009, 05:33 PM
If it was a chancellor, then it was defiantly Bismarck. I'm pretty sure he was the first cos he introduced it in late 19th century/early 20th. I'll stop now, cuz it's not really important...

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
disabled people also receive social security.

I am disabled due to my Bipolar disorder and receive social security.
It's difficult for me to work long hours without getting overwhelmed with anxiety or crashing really badly. As a result, I can only work part time jobs which don't cover basic expenses.
The Social Security, I receive, is supposed to supplement the income I would normally get working a full time job, were I able.

maisetofan
07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Don't have it here in new zealand, although gcar you mentioned you get social security payments for your bipolar disorder, we have a welfare scheme where if you are sick or unemployed you get a certain amount each week, between 150-300 dollars depending on the circumstance but as far as social security and having an identification number goes, i am glad our country does not need that sort of thing just yet

LOL we only have 3.5 million people,

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Social Security is split into three parts.

SSI = Supplemental Securtiy Insurance, which is need based and goes to people with extreem needs. Like a child of a disabled parent, or sudden death benefits paid to families.

SSDI = Social Security Disability Insurance, which goes to people who have disabilities.

There is also Social Security Retirment Insurance for people over 65.

inamerica55585
08-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Frankly, our system would be cleaned up a lot if we eliminated the Social Security Retirement Insurance and used those funds to augment the other two.
Think of it this way:
Not all people over 65 have disabilities.
Many still have jobs.
Do senior citizens with external income really need social security income?

darkarcher
08-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Many still have jobs.

Because if you don't give people an incentive to work, they won't.

If you give the same aid regardless of whether they work or not, then they will work to get more money. If you give aid only to people who do not work, then it's very likely that they won't work since they'll get money either way.

Fat1Fared
08-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Frankly, our system would be cleaned up a lot if we eliminated the Social Security Retirement Insurance and used those funds to augment the other two.
Think of it this way:
Many still have jobs.

great way to help those who getting to their golden years, don't know about USA, but here yes they do need that money, many poeple in their retirement get very little from other goverment things and struggle to even heat their house (which they spent more time in, so needs more heating....etc) and because of mass movements in modern age, work penisons are useually massively underfunded and penison schemes, well don't get me started on those wastes of space

PS Dark, that isn't always true, it has been found lot of poeple work even if they don't have too, as dislike the idea of not working, because of range of reasons, though will be few who just don't care, most do (not sure how tested it, but last study said, that only 1-100 poeple actually don't work because don't want too)
=look at me, I only work 3 days at week at most and their best days of week, rest kills me

Starwind
11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
People who rely on Social Security don't deserve shit. It's not my or every other taxpayer's fault you're an irresponsible financial fuckup who didn't open up a 401k and/or a Roth IRA when you were younger.

killshot
11-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Whats with the sudden flood of trolls recently? Is /b/ down or something?

Starwind
11-03-2009, 11:03 AM
How is that trolling?

darkarcher
11-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Way to go, you got yourself a perma-ban for attempted evasion.