PDA

View Full Version : Devolution of Britain

Fat1Fared
08-24-2009, 01:30 PM
This is something I study in my course and how it has effected our legal systems, economy, constitution...etc

And I have wondered for sometime what people on here think about it, however fear of flame war, has stopped me posting it, but finally decided to give it a go:-(because of latest story about it)

Should we break up Britain and have all 4 countries (plus others,) under individual rule

or should we go back to complete central rule

or should we have it how is with individual rule watched by a central rule(also should England have its own parliament then or it right to reject that that)

These are questions which wondered what peoples opinions were, especially younger poeple who are sometimes forgotten in debates like,

PS mods the second someone flames, lock this, otherwise could go very wrong:-

Devolution is indeed a very popular notion at the moment. And it has also happened to quite a large extent.
- Scotland has the Scottish Parliament, as well as its own Legal System
- Wales has the Welsh Assembly
- Northern Ireland has the Northern Ireland Assembly.

All of these are subject to the Westminster Parliament, but gradually, more and more power is being handed to Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, giving them increased power to govern themselves, and be sovereign states of their own.
England may not want the United Kingdom to break apart, but the other countries subject to the English parliament do indeed want to govern themselves.

Fat1Fared: If you expect people to discuss a topic, they must first understand what it is they are discussing. There is a big difference between breaking up the UK and devolution. Many of the users of this forum are American, and are not constitutional lawyers, so they would not necessarily understand what you mean when you talk about Devolution.
Also, I really don't think this is flamebait... unless you get some really passionate Northern Irish or Scottish constitutional lawyers commenting here...

Indeed, I guess I somewhat arrogently decided that only poeple who actually post here would be those who already had knowledge on it, well here is report which sets it out better than I can:- with flamebait, just takes one person with anti.....etc views and turns into mindless agurment over which county is best

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/rp2003/rp03-084.pdf

Ok, well here are my personal feelings on matter, I hate simi-devolution with a passion and think it just adding more needless politicans and adding unneeded political powers into the system and this Libya thing is just another example of its failings, stupidly and how easy it is to abuse. (I know it was british parlinment behind it)

Plus Britian was made as way for these countries to work together to help one another by being united, but now that some of them have only powers, the individual powers like scotish parliment only work for that county and abuse BRITAIN, (why is it that British (mostly from england) money is used to pay for free scotish uni students, but we are told that cannot use English money to pay for English students?) these countries like Scotland keep using it for themselves and not the whole weaking the system and this is specially bad as england doesn't have own section and is ruled by scotish person, (which I have no problem with, as long as works this way for all the countries and not just one)

and now they are now acting, like the child who constantly tells parsents going to run away if don't get own way, well I lets let them leave, and see how long till come back. As like it or not, scotlands (and the others to lesser exstant) whole ecomony can only survive because of Britian,

I would think that it needs to be a united nation or not, cannot try to have best of both worlds as doesn't work and someone always gets abused. I would rather it was united as that works for everyone to get stronger (when we're not being stupid and trying to score points against each other) but if they really want to devide it, do it and see what happens, but lets not stay in limo

(All these views are about the politians, not poeple of these countries)

PS Northern Irish and scotish poeple actually wants to stay with britain statiscally,

PSS Also JR, I think you of all poeple should know it isn't english parliment, it is British parliment (lol) and is only placed in england out of geolagical convinance, as when it was made, london was far bigger and better placed than anywhere else at time. As well it had all the things already in place to set it all such as political buildings, in fact it wasn't even made by the English, it was done by scotish and the english accepted it because they had found themselves without a king or Queen, which at time needed.
=We did at one point gain more power, but you need to remember it has never been english parliment and all those things we get blamed for are done by all countries (remember some of our most powerful characters where scotish and walsh)

HolyShadow
08-24-2009, 06:10 PM
As you probably know, my opinion is always to keep the status quo and improve it rather than going by drastic measures. A lot of times, people forget details of things like this. If there's a group of radicals trying to change their country, they might... well, wage war. Lives can be lost. Now, ironically, most groups now seem to want to change the world in order to save lives. This has always been a conundrum to me. On top of that, just because certain things worked in the past doesn't mean it'll work now, and as I said, lives could be lost in certain bits of revolution.

I don't really know the details, but you can probably guess where I stand on this. Though, it would help if I knew more details about this.

OverMind
09-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Should we break up Britain and have all 4 countries (plus others,) under individual rule

If this were a popular notion, I'm sure it would have already happened by now. If anything, I could potentially see Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland perhaps unifying sometime in the future, but even that's a long shot.

Simply, Great Britain, as it is, may not be perfect but its stable and it functions and that's enough to dissuade anyone from changing it.

JesusRocks
09-04-2009, 07:49 AM
If this were a popular notion, I'm sure it would have already happened by now. If anything, I could potentially see Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland perhaps unifying sometime in the future, but even that's a long shot.

Simply, Great Britain, as it is, may not be perfect but its stable and it functions and that's enough to dissuade anyone from changing it.

Devolution is indeed a very popular notion at the moment. And it has also happened to quite a large extent.
- Scotland has the Scottish Parliament, as well as its own Legal System
- Wales has the Welsh Assembly
- Northern Ireland has the Northern Ireland Assembly.

All of these are subject to the Westminster Parliament, but gradually, more and more power is being handed to Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, giving them increased power to govern themselves, and be sovereign states of their own.
England may not want the United Kingdom to break apart, but the other countries subject to the English parliament do indeed want to govern themselves.

Fat1Fared: If you expect people to discuss a topic, they must first understand what it is they are discussing. There is a big difference between breaking up the UK and devolution. Many of the users of this forum are American, and are not constitutional lawyers, so they would not necessarily understand what you mean when you talk about Devolution.
Also, I really don't think this is flamebait... unless you get some really passionate Northern Irish or Scottish constitutional lawyers commenting here...