PDA

View Full Version : ADV Films shuts down.

Daikun
09-03-2009, 11:02 PM
The largest anime distributor in North America has closed its doors, (http://news.toonzone.net/articles/30952/adv-films-dissolves-transfers-assets-to-multiple-companies) and ADV's subdivisions have been sold to other companies.

AsteriskRocks
09-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Wait isn't this old?

EDIT: I could've sworn they sold Air Gear to Funimation

Twilightyami7
09-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Someone tell the person who shut down ADV to give the english dub rights of Tatsunoko animes to Funimation.

ThePRPD
02-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Someone tell the person who shut down ADV to give the english dub rights of Tatsunoko animes to Funimation.

ADV was shut down because they took on a lot more anime than what they could handle.

FUNimation will save titles if they choose to do so and just because they will save a title doesn't mean they'll re-dub.

I think FUNi has already saved a few titles.
In terms of manga I think Yen Press has the rights Yotsuba&! and Azumanga Daioh.

TitanAura
03-02-2010, 11:47 PM
In terms of manga I think Yen Press has the rights Yotsuba&! and Azumanga Daioh.

I own the original ADV prints of these and I weep for the demise of ADV. It seems scanlation brats have started leaking into the professional arena and were never taught proper restraint when translating and need to be taught that English is just as beautiful and poetic a language as Japanese. In the new releases, Yotsuba now refers to herself in the 3rd person. That's a normal method of phrasing sentences when speaking in Japanese depending on the dialect but when translated into English without changing the context of the sentence, it just winds up sounding awkward and misconstrues the character's personality. I think it makes Yotsuba sound stupid and there is a significantly large difference between stupidity and ignorance.

PS
When translating sound effects, it's kind of pointless when you translate the kanji into the japanese phonetics AND THEN finally give the english equivalent. It's a waste of space and it draws attention away from the focus of attention.

/rant over