PDA

View Full Version : Gundam

ChaosVincent1
10-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Yes, this means any Gundam series, and any exact Gundam... Even Turn A and GSD.

Original
Gundam Z
Gundam ZZ
G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Turn A Gundam
Gundam SEED
Gundam SEED Destiny
Gundam 00

yamiangie
10-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I've always had soft start for Gundam Wing because it was the one that really made me like the genre and started my obsession with tracking voice actors because of one of the fansites back when people made those things. It was also the only one to be aired at a decent time and was rerun that I liked. I was into 00 but I just couldn't watch it on sci fi because 11pm is just so late for me I'm online at that time of night.

Ave
10-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Same. Heck, Wing is what got me into anime in the first place. I was completely intrigued by the viability of systematic plot in a "cartoon." That was something I hadn't really encountered back then.
...I still have a tiny crush on Heero Yuy, and Relina, too.
But CosmicAce >> any silly crush

Other favorites would include Gundam, Zeta(Double Zeta was decent), G, and the Stardust Memory OVA.

Favorite Mobile Suits: Wing Zero(top favorite);...what? I can't like a gundam because it's popular and over powered?, Heavy Arms Custom ; Hydra Gundam ; Ball ; Zaku ; Gundam Rose ; All RX-78s(Physalis most of all) ; Hyaku Shiki. And my other top favorite, Neue Ziel. Now THAT savage monstronsity was a mecha. I tell ya, they don't make gundams like they used to. If I could marry a gundam....
sorry. I like to utilize dependant clauses to emphasize what can be descried to be a thought.
.....CosmicAce >> Neue Ziel.

DannyLilithborne
10-24-2009, 01:11 AM
I have a mild obsession with SEED Destiny. Not because it's good; really, the opposite, actually. I'm re-watching it for my third time now.

Ave
10-24-2009, 09:44 AM
^I like to watch Destiny with a few of my friends and poke fun at it every now and then, so I know where you're coming from.

Kochiha
10-24-2009, 03:31 PM
And now, YGO Abridged's resident Gundam enthusiast is here to complete that rather abridged list you have up there.

Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Z Gundam*
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket*
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory*
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing*
The 08th MS Team
After War Gundam X
New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz*
Turn-A Gundam
Gundam Evolve
G-Saviour (-)
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (-)
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (-)
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED CE 73: Stargazer (-)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: The Gravity Front
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (p)

*: my personal favorites
(p): currently in production
(-): To be avoided

And this list doesn't even include the Super Deformed spin-off series or any of the books and manga, although several of those (especially Crossbone Gundam and Gundam Sentinel) are excellent. I sort of want to read Unicorn Gundam to get an idea as to what we'll be getting when the OVA hits in 10, but finding it might be trouble.
Now to talk some favoritism. The best timelines were early Universal Century and After Colony (UC and AC), hands down. Things really started to get a little bit hampermental as Universal Century wore on, but this is only based on my viewing of F91 and bits and pieces of G-Saviour (which should be avoided at ALL COSTS, by the way). AC was short and sweet, lasting one series, a fairly good movie, and some books that I haven't got around to reading. (Still, Hajime Katoki's redesign of the Gundams is genuinely elegant, although I prefer the original Wing Zero because of its colder vibe.)
That's all for now; I'll tell you more of my MSshipping later.

ChaosVincent1
11-11-2009, 10:58 AM
the super deformed spinoff makes Gundam SEED Destiny look good.

DannyLilithborne
11-11-2009, 06:50 PM
On this note, I think it's gotten to the point where I have to just bite the bullet and acknowledge that I like SEED Destiny. >_>

Kochiha
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
the super deformed spinoff makes Gundam SEED Destiny look good.

'Twas merely a marketing camgaign for the SD models. Never intended to be much more and is thus not considered an actual Gundam series.

DRAGOONs are worth nothing. Victory to the fin funnels.

yamiangie
11-12-2009, 12:23 AM
I'd like to know when Gundam Wing became emo. Everyone(funimation con guy) always seems to call it that lately.
I've watched the series and the movie and read the manga that had the backstories for everyone so I guess I understand the characters and their motives so everything makes sence to me.
I really need to get around to watching all of Gundam 00 because they seem similar, and I've heard people say they 00 did it better.
and looking at tv tropes I thought Lockon didn't fall under Eyepatch Of Power.

KakitaMitsuhide
11-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Hey Kochiha, why should we avoid SeeD and SeeD Destiny? They were all right and decent enough to watch a few dozen times. What makes them so bad?

Cegem
11-23-2009, 04:39 PM
'Twas merely a marketing camgaign for the SD models. Never intended to be much more and is thus not considered an actual Gundam series.

DRAGOONs are worth nothing. Victory to the fin funnels.

Fangs and Shield Bits > all.

ThePRPD
11-23-2009, 11:21 PM
G Gundam is the only Gundam series I ever got into. I didn't have a major interest in the others.

KakitaMitsuhide
11-24-2009, 09:56 AM
G Gundam is the only Gundam series I ever got into. I didn't have a major interest in the others.
Best/Worst idea ever - abridging that series. It was a good laugh, even though love saves the day:squintyface:

DannyLilithborne
11-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey Kochiha, why should we avoid SeeD and SeeD Destiny? They were all right and decent enough to watch a few dozen times. What makes them so bad?
Both SEED and SEED Destiny have terrible character design (this is Kira! this is Athrun! They are different! Notice the different colored eyes!), but Destiny stands out in having a story with some potential shot down by mind blowingly dumb plot twists and a whole lot of talking. Also, the main character is a giant vagina.

Kochiha
11-30-2009, 10:51 PM

Every damn bit of them screams "GENERIC ANIME", which Gundam never was. There is a reason the Gundam metaverse became so humungous: it didn't follow trends, it set them. Before Gundam, giant mecha anime was implausible and flashy, meant to be kid stuff. The template it laid out for the remainder of the 20th century was one of scientific plausibility carried by people stricken by the grief of war. The idea wasn't epic storylines, but the politics of fighting; the robots were simply tools, much as one would fight with a gun or fighter jet. It was much like Star Wars or Star Trek, but with the realism that people seem to crave. It wasn't just magnificent, it was believable.

SEED and SEED Destiny were also like Star Wars--Star Wars Episode I. Most of the emphasis is placed on the visual, and even those computer effects just look staged, rather than seeming to actually be there, as was with the hand-drawn cels of previous works. Additionally, the technology became vague and deliberately impossible to explain with conventional modeling. And getting back to the Star Wars analogy, there was the ever-present ultra-annoying character design that left people dissatisfied, especially in Flay Alaster's case, and I will not hesitate to compare her to Jar Jar Binks on the bullshit character scale. Not even Relena Peacecraft annoyed me that much. Hell, every character was whiney; people say Gundam Wing was emo?? SEED was full of characters that would feel right at home in the Neon Genesis Evangelion universe! And to top it off, I don't think there was one male main character that wasn't completely effeminate. Now if that doesn't fit the emo stereotype, I don't know what the hell does!

Geez, I have a habit for ranting...

DannyLilithborne
12-01-2009, 01:06 AM
And to top it off, I don't think there was one male main character that wasn't completely effeminate. Now if that doesn't fit the emo stereotype, I don't know what the hell does!
Yzak Jule

...wait, he's not a main character. :thatface:
But he's in the OP! That's enough for me... yeah that's the ticket.

Kochiha
12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Additionally, he still looks androgenous when compared to other characters. I mean, come ON! He makes Quatre Raberba Winner look manly...

DannyLilithborne
12-01-2009, 06:26 PM
That's true, I guess. It's just anytime he opens his mouth, he's pretty much always yelling.

Kochiha
12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Sorta reminds you of someone from YGO Abridged, doesn't it? I mean, even the hairstyle is similar...

DannyLilithborne
12-09-2009, 04:36 PM
OH NO THEY'VE DROPPED THE ROCK ON THE EARTH AND IT IS ALL OVER FOR ME

ChaosVincent1
01-28-2010, 11:06 AM
No new progress on the Gundam 00 movie

yamiangie
01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
I finally watched the end of the first gundam series the other week.
Also so has anyone else heard Andrew W.K.'s Gundam Rock?

ChouToshio
01-28-2010, 06:30 PM
SHINING FINGER!!!!!

Most hilarious/epic attack ever.

I love you Kamina, but none of those drill attacks don't sound nearly as stupidly hilarious as the shining finger.

ChaosVincent1
02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Well, the Gundam 00 movie is supposed to be set for August. I also don't think Tierria gets a body again and stays fused with VEDA.

Resolving any shipping disputes between whether thay want to ship Setsuna with Marina or Feldt will have to be a priority, and no matter which shippers win, the losing shippers would not count that movie as canon.

Change of Heart
02-14-2010, 01:28 PM
The first Gundam series I ever watched was Gundam Wing, it was in fact the first anime I saw, so it's rather special in my heart.. plus its theme tune 'Just Communication' kicks ass! I always ask it to be played in any Jpop Discos ^_^

Gundam 00 has to be a close second fav...It's very...Orwellian I feel. Though I think Setsuna is kind of another Heero wannabe (not trying to be offensive to any Setsuna fans- he's awesome!)... the whole cold shoulder robotic pilot act...Plus yet another female hmm I wouldn't say stalker lets say "target" lol anyone see similarities?

I wasn't big on Gundam Seed I felt it too overdramatic (you killed my boyfriend blah blah blah "crazy Flay")...its theme tune I think should've been the Eastenders Theme...

yamiangie
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Gundam series are now being streamed free at varios sites to promote the new gundam show coming out.

ChaosVincent1
02-22-2010, 02:59 PM
A new Gundam you say? Newer than Gundam 00?

yamiangie
02-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes Gundam UC or what ever the heck it is. It's the adaptation of gundam unicorn

also found cool youtube vid
Zc4TH0w91bM

ChouToshio
02-24-2010, 10:41 AM
. . . .
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (-)

(-): To be avoided

lol

G Gundam ftw, because Shining Finger is the most epic attack that side of Giga Drill Breaker (and still claims title to the stupidest name).

yekoP
02-24-2010, 10:42 AM
You forgot Gundam QQ and Gundam lulz.

90HeroMAXD
03-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Gundam....ehhhh I used to be a HC fan. I only build the model kits now, but I turned my side to SRW

also

Super Robots>Real Robots
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5435/mzsinopsiskc8.jpg

G Gundam and Turn A are my favorites in the series though

ChaosVincent1
05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I BRING NEWS!

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Unicorn

Gundam Unicorn is real and has already started airing.
Ff9HFkcSmRQ

Now to wait for licensing.

yamiangie
05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
this has been out since March it's Gundam UC and it's only via Amazon.

ChaosVincent1
05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
or watch online. Apparently, they haven't released any other episodes yet. How about other information about Awakening of the Trailblazer. I haven't seen anyone talking about that movie yet.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp124/XSlifer/anime/gundam00themovietheawakeningofthetr.jpg
New units. Tieria cheats death to return. Everyone gets a new gundam.

Shiny
05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I really only liked the Universal Century, after that it lost its appeal to me. Nowadays it's filled with overpowered mobile suits piloted by pretty boys, and it seems like everyone has a Gundam. I preferred the series when it was a little less refined than it is today.

FalleAnagel
05-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Gundam was and still is my fav

ChaosVincent1
10-09-2011, 11:19 PM
My reveiw of Gundam AGE

At this point, it feels like they're trying to put a real robot pilot in a super robot. You have the formula of the pilot being "Humanity's sole protector against an invasion of enemies" as well as having the protagonist develop it himself and pilot it at age 13.

So... about Flit's personality. There's plenty of determination there. Sure, he's not a stoic like Setsuna or Heero. Luckily he's not a Kamille because that's a little too close to being Shinji Ikari. Basically, he acts the way a 13-year-old Neil Dylandy would, except not as badass.

Sure, I wasn't expecting them to do that good, they're obiously putting more focus on story quality into Gundam Unicorn.