PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Anime Dubs...

Animagess
12-25-2009, 11:51 PM
...Because they really do exist. And their rarity makes them far more precious to me, a lover of the English language, than one of those decent but awkwardly translated fan subs that are always floating around. So here's the place to offset the usual negativity surrounding dubs (because let's face it, the vast majority of them will make your ears bleed) and time to admit that yeah, that joke the dubbers slipped in there was kinda funny. Or yeah, that part where whatsisface made me cry a LITTLE harder than I did in the original.

They don't have to be objectively good: A lot of the dubs that come to my mind have a soft spot in my heart for a variety of reasons, the least of which is quality. I'm no purist, though the pinnacle of the craft will always lie in the hands of those who make accurate and relevant localization an art form (like the recent fan-translation of Mother 3). However, an amusing cultural re-appropriation will always be my second preference. Anything is better than mediocrity.

Anyway, in no particular order, here's a list of the top of my head of dubs that I have a fondness for, for WHATEVER reason:

THE BIG O: There's nothing really amazing about the dub itself, but it's very solid. Maybe it's because the anime itself was inspired by gothic American cartoons like the Batman animated series, but the English voices work a lot better for me than the Japanese ones. I get cognitive dissonance when the characters are so obviously modeled after hardboiled "American" templates (and I LOVE James Bond and film noir, two of the show's major influences), yet the words that come out of their mouth are distinctly... Not hard-boiled. Hearing the protagonist's name pronounced "Ra-ja Su-missu!!" makes my ears buzz. There's even an episode filled with JAPANESE stereotypes, complete with excessive bowing, buckteeth and multiple "douzo"s after every untranslated sentence. I have no idea how that would have played out in the original Japanese. At any rate... Good show, good dub. Plus, a giant robot pilot who isn't a whiny teenager with relationship issues!

TRIGUN: My absolute favorite anime of all time. One of the first "mature" anime I watched after getting into Pokemon as a kid, and to this day, nothing has been able to top it. I rented the series on VHS and it happened to be in English, so I was foolishly tricked into believing that the dub was typical standard for anime. Unfortunately I've never been able to find another show with voice acting of this caliber (and even Vash's VA, Johnny Yong Bosch, has never topped this role for me). Again, the American themes and Western setting happen to fit the English voices superbly, even if the tagline "Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action" stuck out like a sore thumb. To this day, there are parts of this show that just about break my heart. Wolfwood's introduction in particular gets me every time: "Well praise the Lord, HELLO!"

(Now, this was about the same time most people were digging Cowboy Bebop, although I haven't heard quite as many positive comments about the dubbing on that show as Trigun's. Any thoughts?)

POKEMON (SEASON 1): I stopped watching fairly early on, but this was the very first anime I had ever seen (not counting Speed Racer, which I didn't know was Japanese). I remember sitting on my grandma's couch, mesmerized, wondering what it was about the animation that seemed so different from American cartoons. I had NO IDEA what was going on with the red and white balls, or why everyone was screaming so much, or why the background would sometimes drop out and be replaced with colorful lines. And to this day, hearing Ash, Misty and Brock's voices from those first episodes is like sinking into a bubbly bath of fond memories- Even if Ash sounded like he'd been smoking since before he was born. A lot of the jokes were hilariously obvious attempts to translate the Japanese puns for English kids, but that was okay: Ash dressed up in a cow suit pretending to be a "Cow-derpie" was probably just as cheesy in either language.

SAMURAI PIZZA CATS: I never actually watched this as a kid, but from what I hear of it, I would have thought it was awesome.

SPECIAL DUTY COMBAT UNIT SHINESMAN: The initial concept was pretty goofy to begin with, but the translators went the extra mile and added all sorts of bizarre jokes and inflections that weren't present in the original Japanese. Normally that would upset a lot of people, but this two-episode series has kind of a cult following for putting a humorous spin on what was already a ridiculous story: A Power Rangers parody of office workers who transform into superheroes and fight rival interstellar corporations with weapons like "Tie Clip Bomb" and business card shuriken. In the original Japanese, the dialogue took itself a little more seriously, whereas the dub had lines like "I can't die now... I have a date with the Turkish twins!" and "Giant fish. Right in my face." And if this sounds like blasphemy to you, you're probably right. Luckily for us all. (I managed to catch this on DVD, but something tells me it's a bit of a hard find. Maybe Youtube?)

Xanadu
12-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Dragonball Z-the funimation dub
the Japanese just can't scream like the yanks can
Slayers-I donno, I just like the voices, Lina's voice really suits her
Ogenki Clinic-its a hentei so its just pure awful/awesome (one line was, and I shit you not "I've had more then 10 000 penises in my ---" you know...)
thats over NINE THOUSAND!!!!!
thats...a lot...

sajeev50
12-26-2009, 02:48 AM
I always thought Death Note had an awesome dub.

Dragonball Z was great too.

DannyLilithborne
12-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Dragonball Z (better than the original, and if you disagree you are an elitist nerd)
Naruto (in some cases it's actually better than the original for two reasons: Gaara's VA and the filler arcs are made actually tolerable since the VA's obviously barely take them seriously unlike the deathlike morbidity in which the seiyus deliver them.)

roxasabridged
12-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Death Note, Rozen Maiden, Shaman King, Digimon, Haruhi... There's too much for me to remember, but those ones I listed I feel were amazing. Perfectly fitting voices and whatnot.

ThePRPD
12-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I prefer dubs in general.
If there is a dub of a show I'm going to most likely watch it.
I don't let the quality of a show itself cloud my judgment of a dub. There can be real shitty shows but the effort the voice actors put into the dub can be really good.

I like dubs amongst shows equally.

Saying which dub is like "totally awesome" is personal preference.

Animagess
12-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I prefer dubs in general.
If there is a dub of a show I'm going to most likely watch it.

I actually totally agree. No matter how well-versed I get with the Japanese language, I grew up hearing and speaking English, and that's the emotional inflection I need when watching a show.

On the other hand, I'd rather READ an awkwardly translated line than hear it spoken aloud. The voices aren't the only thing that need to be good in a quality dub; the writing needs to fit as well. I have ridiculously high standards when it comes to the actual semantics of the lines that come out of the characters' mouths, but a lot of translations sound just slightly off; you can tell that English wasn't the original language. And there are so many verbal tics unique to the Japanese language that begin to make themselves apparent in the dub, like beginning every sentence with some variation of "Because of this...", "As a result of..." or "At any rate...". I'd prefer if they stripped out the verbal padding and wrote more natural-sounding dialogue (don't go trying to look for these tics, or eventually you'll hear them everywhere!).

Now, something like Afro Samurai is interesting, because it was English to begin with and it was never even dubbed into Japanese. I mean, the actual dialogue is pretty irritating, but at least it's different.

(On a side note: The Yanks may have the edge for screaming, but nobody can beat the Japanese for grunts. Seriously, they can express so much with just a little back-of-the-throat noise.)

ChouToshio
12-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Echoing that the Dragon Ball Z Dub > Original, though I tend to think of those super long shonen series as better in manga form.

Lucky Star's dub is great I think, the only misfortune being in Konata's voice actress being unable to do a good Haruhi impression (but this can't be helped since those two have the same voice actress in Japanese, and Hirano-san's a freakin' genius).

@Naruto-Dub: lol at Sasuke pronouncing Japanese words well while everyone else fails at it. ;p It's weird with just one character pronouncing everything better and rolling his r's.

TitanAura
12-28-2009, 12:40 AM
*AHEM*

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectYGO

yamiangie
12-28-2009, 01:35 AM
Lucky Star's dub is great I think, the only misfortune being in Konata's voice actress being unable to do a good Haruhi impression (but this can't be helped since those two have the same voice actress in Japanese, and Hirano-san's a freakin' genius).

So you are mad at Wendee Lee for not being able to impersonate someone impersonating herself? Or you have not noticed that they matched most of Haruhi cast up as done in the original?

Ohara
12-28-2009, 03:41 AM
The dubs for Code Geass, Death Note and Elfen Lied are all great, in my opinion. I tend to prefer them over the subs, to be honest...

ChouToshio
12-28-2009, 07:35 AM
So you are mad at Wendee Lee for not being able to impersonate someone impersonating herself? Or you have not noticed that they matched most of Haruhi cast up as done in the original?

I just don't like her take on Haruhi? I like her Konata but don't like her Haruhi?

M.P.
12-28-2009, 07:40 AM
The Cowboy Bebop dub seems to be better than the original japanese voice acting

roxasabridged
12-28-2009, 08:01 AM
The dubs for Code Geass, Death Note and Elfen Lied are all great, in my opinion. I tend to prefer them over the subs, to be honest...

This.

ThePRPD
12-28-2009, 08:39 AM
*AHEM*

Shameless fan dub advertisement. :squintyface:

Fat1Fared
12-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I always thought Death Note had an awesome dub.

Dragonball Z was great too.

well, I one of few things I can thank my childhood for, is that my family (my sister especially) loved films from around the world and so I have grown up watching subs and now can watch them with an ease, a lot of people seem to lack, which is sad in my opinion for range of reasons:-

=I mean only other day, several of my flatmates missed seeing one of the greatest films I know (Lives of Others) because I only owned the original German version.

though I have nothing against my native tongue, English is not a beautiful language, and so like ironically enough LK said, I can stand dub's but I still think something is lost when translate it from tongue it was made in!

(-Don't believe me, read the poem, "My Mother Tongue" in its native language and then read it in English, and tell me which one sounds more beautiful.)

=And so to me no dub can be “more” awesome than its original, as these where made for their native language and changing it to English will lose some of its internal intensity and emotional impact AKA Anime=Generally=Japanese, and so when a direct translation will lack the beauty of its original

-And this is why I quote Sajeevi and him noting Deathnote, there isn't much wrong with the dub of Deathnote (And is generally good dub,) as I believe generally it follow's the first one faithfully and doesn't change much outside things which simply don't make sense in english, there is odd bit, but nothing major, however things such Lights name, just feel less in English. Light is called Light for symbolic reasons and when it is done in japanese (AKA Raito,) there is real emotion and feeling to it, however when it is then changed directly to Light, it loses this feeling and almost feels crude and forced, especially in context with the lines where its meaning is most prominent and poetic.

And so, the only other way to do it, is to change what was in original, but I don't want this ether, as then it is changing the intigery of the first writers ideas and this destroys the whole point in my opinion

And this why Quoted his use of Dragon Z, now depends which dubs you are on about, as there are about 4 altogether, but if you are on about the first 2, their just horrifying, they cut out whole blocks of the show, they remove and censored millions of scenes
=IE when Nappa blows up a ship full of people and then the dub changed it to merely a cargo ship, that changes the whole character of Nappa from evil blood-letting warrior to a pain moron who likes to make big bangs
=Half the male voice actors sound like still waiting to hit puberty, the other half sound like bad stereotype jocks from teen-flicks
=And why do they feel that Alien's are going to make bloody jokes about American Base Ball or Football, I mean seriously....
=But worse bit is, the removal of the word dead, I mean do they think we can't handle that word or something?????? (It was more upsetting, hearing them beat around bush, trying to say this person's dead without actually using the word than if just put he is dead)

ThePRPD
12-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I can say I have enjoyed a lot of English dubs more than the original Japanese dubs.

roxasabridged
12-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Light sounds way cooler than Raito.

Animagess
12-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Hmm, I watched Elfen Lied subtitled, but maybe I'll go and check out the dub since it seems to be getting some good press.

English is not a beautiful language
A PERNICIOUS UNTRUTH, GOOD SIR/MA'AM!! I for one take great pleasure in the subtle semantic interplay to be found in this hodge-podge pirate's trove of a language. Most translation efforts simply don't use it to its fullest advantage, which is a shame for language enthusiasts like me. The best kind of dubs for me are the ones which preserve the SPIRIT of the original show, instead of a completely literal translation which is culturally accurate to the original yet seems stiff and forced (for example, English actors using honorifics like "-sama" when it's clear they have no idea what they're saying).

There are some cases where both the dub and subs are fighting an uphill battle. FLCL has a scene where the dad and Haruko trade off spitfire snatches of dialogue that had no real meaning, but simply sound alike. The English version goes something like:

Kamon :
Ooh... Cooly Cooly... Like that?

Haruko :
Cooly?

Kamon :
Not like curry powder aphrodisiac licked off my desk...

Haruko :
Death?!

Kamon :
It's this kind of cooly cooly... New modality.

Haruko :
Noodle?

Kamon :
I mean like mtv!

Haruko :
Empty?

The Japanese version is similar, but I find the subtitles distracting since the words themselves have no importance except for the fact that they kind of rhyme. You could tell by listening to the Japanese that the words were meant to be a kind of poetic mishmash, but the subtitles would be saying things like "Ramen bowl! Jeweller's loupe! A type of racehorse!" which was necessary but distracting. I thought I was supposed to be paying attention to the fact that they mentioned a racehorse, when really I was only supposed to be concentrating on how the words sounded.

It was a valiant effort nonetheless, but as much as one can claim that foreign films are meant to be listened to in their original language, they are also not intended to be read. You can't tell me anyone makes an anime with the idea that the dialogue would be ideally presented in the form of text at the bottom of the screen, with additional notes at the top explaining the metaphorical significance of the character's name in the original language. In the end, it all comes down to preference, and all things being equal, I will always gravitate towards a good dub over a decent sub and then read up on all the juicy cultural stuff I'm apparently missing out on afterwards. Hooray for the Internet!

It's an interesting effort and Yami's voice in particular benefited a lot (he sounds very Johnny Yong Boschian), but I wish they'd dub Season Zero instead since I'm not sure how far they'll get through the 200+ eps of the rest of the series. Besides, there's no way it'll ever be brought to North America officially, so those episodes in particular could stand for some English lovin'.

roxasabridged
12-28-2009, 03:44 PM
*Imagines Yami shouting 'It's time to Duel!' in a JYB voice*

Animagess
12-28-2009, 04:21 PM
*Imagines Yami shouting 'It's time to Duel!' in a JYB voice*
It's his "MIND CRUSSSHHH!" that sounds particularly awesome.

ChouToshio
12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
well, I one of few things I can thank my childhood for, is that my family (my sister especially) loved films from around the world and so I have grown up watching subs and now can watch them with an ease, a lot of people seem to lack, which is sad in my opinion for range of reasons:-

<anime stuff>

I'm sure almost all the viewers of this thread can appreciate the sentiment, and I too appreciate subbed versions for kung fu movies and the like. As a Japanese-English bilingual, I can see first hand that no matter how excellent the translators, it's impossible to get things right.

I'm reading "Ender's Game" in Japanese right now, wondering how my favorite novel from highschool got translated. It's very well done, but they have opted to translate all the lines directly, and I'll just say American Sarcasm sounds really forced and awkward in Japanese. Also lines like "kissing ass" are set phrases in English, so even if you directly translate them into Japanese, it just doesn't have the same impact.

At least for Japanese, seeing the issue on both sides, I appreciate that it's impossible to get right. I'll often read manga and such in both Japanese and English just to see how the translations are working and think, "The translation is not quite right-- but there's no f'ing way I could do it better."

Sometimes faithfulness to the original actually makes things worse. It's like how if you try to explain a joke it's not funny anymore. You can write awkward English sentences that do a better job of carrying the Japanese nuances, or you can write a whole bunch of "cultural anecdotes" in the borders, but those just ruin the mood half the time.

My favorite series of all time, Lovely Complex, I've read in Japanese, watched the anime and drama in Japanese, and now I'm reading Viz' translation, because it's just that funny all over again. Viz is doing a great job with it, and where they can't accurately translate the jokes, they write their own jokes that are similar.

Japanese: (Lisa is crying because she's touched by Ootani coming to her on Christmas but is trying to pretend her tears are from her knee injury)
Koizumi: "Ko . . . ko koke koke . . ."
Ootani: "Nanya, Niwatori ka!?" (What!? A chicken??)

Ok, there's nothing you can do to make this joke work in English. The word "bump" (as in I bumped my knee) sound nothing like "Cockadoodle", despite them sounding the same in Japanese.

Viz English:
Koizumi: "I . . . Ifel, I f-f-fell,"
Ootani: "What!? The tower!? In Paris??"

. . . and then I started laughing so hard the whole bookstore was staring at me. >______> I'm like, OMG I can read Lovely Complex all over again!

Sometimes, oddly, the English actually works out better than the Japanese. One example I can remember clearly is Itachi's death seen in Naruto:

Japanese: "Gomen Sasuke, kore ha saigo desu."
English: "I'm sorry Sasuke, this is the last time."

The line is supposed to connect with how Itachi was always saying "Gomen Sasuke, mata kondo" (I'm sorry Sasuke, save it for next time). In Japanese, the words "kondo" and "saigo" are different words, but in English, "Next time" and "Last time" both share the word "time," making the parallel that much stronger.

In a long, drawn out manga, this had to be one of the most touching scenes, and I think English actually does a better job of it. I especially liked someone's translation,

"I'm sorry Sasuke, there won't be another time." TT______TT

In conclusion, there's definitely something to be said about originals, and often they are beautiful. Certainly, when something is translated, it changes. That is true without dispute. The question is, does it always change for the worse?

The answer is no. All languages carry a unique flavor. After many moments of anguish from futilely trying to express the awesomeness of YGOTAS to Japanese, I have come to appreciate having grown up with English even more.

The people who translate are people, just like the original writer, and therefore have the same potential for creativity, and the same potential to give birth to something great. Not something exactly the same, but sometimes even more beautiful (funny, awesome, etc.).

Fat1Fared
12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
A PERNICIOUS UNTRUTH, GOOD SIR/MA'AM!! I for one take great pleasure in the subtle semantic interplay to be found in this hodge-podge pirate's trove of a language. Most translation efforts simply don't use it to its fullest advantage, which is a shame for language enthusiasts like me.

Well for a language enthusiast, you have strange way of using it :thatface:
=Pernicious untruth, would imply that I was making a vindictive lie, well seeing as I believe it is truth without being fact (is a difference between two) means cannot be a factual untruth, as you have said and the vindictive intent, seems to only be there for sake of being there, a better way of putting this would have been to say, that opinionated interpretation with only subjective precedence ^_^ (I'm just messing with you)

=Anyway, the thing with english is, that it is very much like the english poeple, very formal and structured thing, with rules to cover very possible outcome which could ever happen and then make several rules exceptions to the rules they just made, so as to allow it to have get out clause, when rules don't work in its favour and also allows it to steal the best parts of other cultures while hiding the incompatibility between the two and most of all it is completely eccentric and loves to have words with superfluous pretension to it (yer, I like using pointless superciliousness words as well ^_-)
-Don’t get me wrong, there is lot of good points to English language (as well as english people believe or not ^_^) and because of way it works, let of scope to its use, but this doesn’t make it a beautiful language to hear, aspecially when compared with things like Hindi and Braj. But This is sort of off point anyway, (though that could be my fault for not fully explaining it at first) that is basically when your translating something, your taking it out of the context it was made in, which lessens it, and the reason they don’t use English language to its fullest is because that would take it even further away from its original meaning. (Ironically, a really good example of this, is the Quruan)

The best kind of dubs for me are the ones which preserve the SPIRIT of the original show, instead of a completely literal translation which is culturally accurate to the original yet seems stiff and forced (for example, English actors using honorifics like "-sama" when it's clear they have no idea what they're saying).

=well this is true, there will be things which need changing IE sarcasm or slang is normally cultural, but I think they chance to much lot of time and even when they don't, the sub gives them the freedom to do the original slang and we can work out what it is for ourselves,

The Japanese version is similar, but I find the subtitles distracting since the words themselves have no importance except for the fact that they kind of rhyme. You could tell by listening to the Japanese that the words were meant to be a kind of poetic mishmash, but the subtitles would be saying things like "Ramen bowl! Jeweller's loupe! A type of racehorse!" which was necessary but distracting. I thought I was supposed to be paying attention to the fact that they mentioned a racehorse, when really I was only supposed to be concentrating on how the words sounded.

and here is the problem, poeple dislike subtitles, because have to READ and WATCH something at same, OH GOD NOOOOOO (lol), but seriously, it isn't that hard once get use to it, most don't stick with it, I can now literally read subtitles subconsciously and don't even realise i'm doing it and once get use to it, you won't have these problems and the whole thing becomes lot more fulfilling

It was a valiant effort nonetheless, but as much as one can claim that foreign films are meant to be listened to in their original language, they are also not intended to be read.

well this is fair point, but as long as you can handle both (and trust me, i'm very single minded, so i should hate doing two things at once) you get the feelings, emotions and impact which were intended, while understanding what on about

You can't tell me anyone makes an anime with the idea that the dialogue would be ideally presented in the form of text at the bottom of the screen, with additional notes at the top explaining the metaphorical significance of the character's name in the original language.

Well those annoying notes, are a problem with subs, I will give you, but that normally depends on subber, problem is, many subs are fan-subs and for some reason, 90% of people who do fan-subs, think everyone who hasn't learnt Japanese must be an intellectually degenerated moron, who cannot put a plate of cake and word kasutera together
=but I have learnt to ether find ones who don't do this or merely ignore them, but will give it to you, they are pain, however this cannot be used against all subbes

In the end, it all comes down to preference, and all things being equal, I will always gravitate towards a good dub over a decent sub and then read up on all the juicy cultural stuff I'm apparently missing out on afterwards. Hooray for the Internet!

Seriously, once you watch enough subs, those notes will make you japknoligest ^_^
=On an actually serious note the good and decent make unfair test, that is like saying I would rather eat a fresh apple over dirty cake, (only less prominent in its use) however you are right, this is all subjective and base on your personal opinion. But I personally will always love to hear other languages, even if don't understand them, then again, i love other cultures and things I don't understand, as allows me to remember more to world than what I know and we all know I know 2 times as much as should know, which half as much as I think I know, equalling lot more than most know, without knowing much of anything! :thatface:

It's an interesting effort and Yami's voice in particular benefited a lot (he sounds very Johnny Yong Boschian), but I wish they'd dub Season Zero instead since I'm not sure how far they'll get through the 200+ eps of the rest of the series. Besides, there's no way it'll ever be brought to North America officially, so those episodes in particular could stand for some English lovin'.

you know titan is head of people doing that lol and they have already said won't do season 0 as, doing it, because want the main seasons to have good dub
=Also their doing it in order of importance, instead of fully chorological order <runs away before Titan lynches him>

TitanAura
12-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Shameless fan dub advertisement. :squintyface:
Your point? You realize LittleKuriboh voices grandpa in it right?

ThePRPD
12-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Your point? You realize LittleKuriboh voices grandpa in it right?

Uh... yeah.
Never had a major interest to be honest. Even if LK is in it.

ChouToshio
12-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Nothing wrong with shameless imo. :)

Still Titan, you can't blame fans for not lining up when there are only 2 episodes out after how many months (years?) on the project.

Ohara
12-29-2009, 07:24 PM
ProjectYGO is good from what I've seen, though I can't say it's better than the original dub. Apart from LK's, none of the mics are great and the resulting sound after the Noise Reduction gets annoying after a while.

TitanAura
12-30-2009, 01:14 AM
Wow for a no-budget production, you guys are harsh. Maybe if we had a studio and thousand dollar mics, we'd make better progress but we don't so we're forced to rely on email and additional overhauling of audio just to PICK UP THE SLACK so it significantly slows down production time. Basically, we already lose time waiting for our actor's lines to come in and even more time having to fine tune them to be acceptable in our dub.

@Ohara: Noise Reduction exists for a reason and it's much less noticable than HAVING the noise. As I mentioned before, we don't have high end audio equipment since we're forced to rely on what our actor have and LK's lines had to have noise reduction just as much as our other actors so shut up. Just because LK is in our fandub, it should not automatically be assumed that everything that is NOT him is somehow inferior even going so far as to be deluded into thinking that his very existence makes his physical audio equipment vastly superior to that of modern man.

TitanAura
12-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Nothing wrong with shameless imo. :)

Still Titan, you can't blame fans for not lining up when there are only 2 episodes out after how many months (years?) on the project.
Well things get slowed down when the director is working a full time job. Take for example this week, I've been working every day since Thursday and I don't have a day off until Saturday. That's a NINE DAY WORK WEEK. Fucking Disney.

ThePRPD
12-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Wow for a no-budget production, you guys are harsh. Maybe if...

You shouldn't let a few comments get to you. :/

ChouToshio
12-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Well things get slowed down when the director is working a full time job. Take for example this week, I've been working every day since Thursday and I don't have a day off until Saturday. That's a NINE DAY WORK WEEK. Fucking Disney.

No one's blaming you. You have your own life, and I think everyone can appreciate that this stuff doesn't come out of thin air. Frankly, I'm amazed that LK has come as far as he has even with his 4-10 min per ep. series. I can't imagine trying to take on dubbing a 200+ episode series with no money and a team of unpaid amateur volunteers to have to pull together and work around. I personally wouldn't want to tackle it-- sounds like a nightmare. I applaud the effort.

No, I'm not saying I expect more, but rather that you can't expect a big following as it is. I can appreciate your intentions and effort, but in terms of popularity the product has to stand for itself. I think you have to admit that as it is, you're not making much progress, on the series or reputation. Until you can progress further, I think it's unfair to expect too much of a following.

But again, I don't think anyone holds that against you personally.

Animagess
12-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Wait, TitanAura works at Disney? Or am I missing something from that post?

yamiangie
12-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I bet it's one of those Disney internships. I hear those are lots of work. Also professionally it take 15 hours of recording time to dub one episode of a show into English. I image it takes even longer for amateurs.

Ohara
12-30-2009, 07:00 PM
@Ohara: Noise Reduction exists for a reason and it's much less noticable than HAVING the noise. As I mentioned before, we don't have high end audio equipment since we're forced to rely on what our actor have and LK's lines had to have noise reduction just as much as our other actors so shut up. Just because LK is in our fandub, it should not automatically be assumed that everything that is NOT him is somehow inferior even going so far as to be deluded into thinking that his very existence makes his physical audio equipment vastly superior to that of modern man.
I know that - I'm not saying your dub is bad, which it's not. Sorry, I guess my post sounded harsher than what I meant. You're right - for a non-budget production, it's great. That aside, though, I wouldn't take it over the original dub.
I've edited my last post to be more accurate in accordance to what I was actually trying to say.

As far as the quality of the voicing goes, there's not much to criticize. LK's stands out, but I guess it's because of how similar it is to the original voice. It's no secret that he's one of the most talented voices there is, but I wasn't trying to make him out to be superior for the sake of it being him - I'm judging it based solely on what I heard. :wink:

LK's lines had to have noise reduction just as much as our other actors so shut up.
Maybe, but it's a lot less noticeable.
The resulting sound after the reduction is just one of the things that tends to bug me more than it should. It's not your fault if it's unavoidable - there's no need to get defensive. :smile:

TitanAura
12-31-2009, 03:35 AM
I'll try to put in words how it feels to have our series criticized, especially concerning the production aspect like mixing/audio quality. In case you didn't realize, beyond being the director, I'm also the main video/audio mixer for ProjectYGO. One of.... 3 or so. This is a hobby. It's what I do because I LIKE to do it and therefore I take pride in it. Having it criticized feels like having the fruits of my labor either ignored or purposefully shunned and more often than not that criticism comes from people who quite simply don't know what they're talking about because, try as they might, they themselves could never possibly accomplish what I have done. I can often deal with criticism regarding "zomg Y R U using Jap names huuuuuur" because I have an entire crew and fanbase behind me to tell them that they are wrong and should be punched. But I'm alone when it comes to audio mixing. I am the only person to blame when something is "wrong" with the mixing so it becomes somewhat more personal. And I honestly can't wrap my head around why someone would go after what is seemingly the strongest suit of our series when the highly subjective aspects like translations and voice casting are there for the picking. Here we are, a ragtag group of amateurs pumping out a near-professional quality product at least in production value and then to have that be a "flaw" is an insult to our cause and on a fundamental level my own personal efforts.

ChouToshio
12-31-2009, 07:27 AM
You know Titan I'm really shocked at how personally you are taking this conversation. In terms of the audio quality, Ohara's been the only one to chime in on that, and looking over his post it seems that he laid out his opinion in a reasonable and mature fashion. I myself can't pick up on the audio stuff, and it sounds great to me so I really can't comment.

Outside that, the only other real criticism was my point that there are only 2 episodes, and I think that is a fair criticism.

Again, when talking about ProjectYGO we all know what position you guys are in so no one blames you (especially not blaming you for having your own life), but again you can't expect too much from fans at the current speed of the project.

Ohara
12-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Titan... your carrying on isn't doing your reputation any good. If you can't handle reasonable criticism, don't do anything in the first place.
I just said what I honestly thought of your work - for the limitations and equipment you have, you've done an exceptional job. I know you've worked hard on it and I'm not trying to deny your talents and the effort you've all put forth. At the same time, though, I wouldn't take it over the original dub, simply because I personally don't like it as much. It's not that I 'don't know what I'm talking about' - it's my opinion. What could I possibly not know?
...is that alright, or should I try sounding even nicer to the point of it becoming a lie?

ThePRPD
12-31-2009, 08:50 AM
I'll try to put in words how it feels to have our series criticized...Having it criticized feels like having the fruits of my labor either ignored or purposefully shunned and more often than not that criticism comes from people who quite simply don't know what they're talking about...

Dude just stop it. There will always be people who will not like something. Do you really expect everyone to say something good about, even if LK is in it?
Most people can and will say something bad about it if they didn't like it. They could be easy going and they could be harsh.

Don't get butt hurt every time someone says something negatively about your series. Learn to ignore, get over it, and deal with it because remember there are people that like and enjoy what you do and there is more good among the bad.

I see a person making a negative comment about my project every now and again and I just don't explode over one little comment.

I also agree with Ohara's and ChouToshio's post. So just stop it.

The way you are dealing with it is poor and immature.

TitanAura
12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
:confused:

OK I didn't think my latest post would be seen in such a negative light, but let me explain something. Ask any long-time YGOTAS.com forum goer, or any of the mods, and you'll learn that I'm half troll, half lunatic, and half egg mcmuffin. :8V:

@ the actual criticism: Oh dear god of course there are problems with our series! Even referring to the mixing I haven't even FIXED half of the syncing issues and volume leveling in 79, though all of them are minor fixes. I'm not so idiotic as to think that anything we create is perfect and to criticize it doesn't make someone any less of a fan than the mindless majority who blindly accept what's given to them regardless of its faults. I criticize things that I like all the time including YGOTAS despite being LK's self-proclaimed #1 fan and I am one of my very own worst critics and look back on my first major success of You'll Never Stop the Abridged *look it up* and immediately realize just how inaudible, yet ear drum shattering that music video actually is from a technical standpoint. Even the remix isn't much better aside from allowing the lyrics to be heard a bit better and some of the more irritating passages of my singing are re-done to make your ears bleed less though I'd keep a box of tissues handy regardless.

@ everyone else: When I "rampage" I do so with the expressed purpose of creating attention because I am a WHORE. I've been on the internet for a long time and I know exactly how to generate attention and this is an easy way to do so.... that said, my latest post was actually meant to abate the negativity but I suppose the tone was waaaaay too passive aggressive for what I was trying to convey and more importantly I was NOT talking about any of you. Now that I've had a chance to read it from a different point of view, my bad, I was far to vague and I apologize if I mislead you. I was mostly referring to the denizens of youtube who post comments so devoid of intelligence and spellcheck that they should be punished for it, possibly with a steak tenderizer (that was a joke, if you didn't catch that). I ALWAYS have a sense of humor when it doesn't affect my own personal life (so yes, the Disney stuff does legitimately piss me off but then who's job doesn't piss them off?), again ask any of the mods or long time users. I communicate in a manner meant to display a significantly exaggerated form of my own feelings mixed with obnoxiously sarcastic humor, though admittedly my humor may contain far too many insults and references to Kroze's sexuality, which is not an insult but simply a statement of fact. Afterall, Kroze likes men.... maybe I should stop now.

Animagess
12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Ask any long-time YGOTAS.com forum goer, or any of the mods, and you'll learn that I'm half troll, half lunatic, and half egg mcmuffin. :8V:

So you're like a Mclunatruffin? I LOVE those. I just wish they wouldn't put on so much cream cheese.

As for the fandub itself... Yami's new voice alone makes it worth watching for me. Obviously I wish there were more episodes so I could watch them one after another, but eventually I assume there will be. Speaking of Yami, I do love Dan Green, but mainly for camp value. It's not that his Yami sounds too OLD, more like he just sounds too much like an interstellar being with vast cosmic powers born many lights years from our galaxy within the heart of a flaming sun. Project YGO's Yami, as I've said, reminds me of Johnny Yong Bosch, which is NOT a bad thing. At all.

ChouToshio
12-31-2009, 08:25 PM
@Titan-- Ok, this is going to sound stupid but . . . you're the guy who did "You'll Never Stop the Abridged"??? I love that song! I bust out laughing everytime that mp3 comes up on my iPod playlist "Abridged" (comes after "Ghost Nappa" and before "Brooklyn Rage").

. . . can we get an updated version?? :P

Ohara
12-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Project YGO's Yami, as I've said, reminds me of Johnny Yong Bosch, which is NOT a bad thing. At all.
I can agree to that.
And I happen to love Johnny Yong Bosch.

TitanAura
01-01-2010, 12:52 AM
@Titan-- Ok, this is going to sound stupid but . . . you're the guy who did "You'll Never Stop the Abridged"??? I love that song! I bust out laughing everytime that mp3 comes up on my iPod playlist "Abridged" (comes after "Ghost Nappa" and before "Brooklyn Rage").

. . . can we get an updated version?? :P
I'll release it along side.... it's sequel! Season 2 will be ending at MAGfest this weekend. I would have been there but my parents banned me from using their truck to get there. DX

I swear I'll meet LK one day....

PS
Johnny Yong Bosch is a bit of a prick apparently so in many ways, our VA is superior at least in the personality department. :P

Fat1Fared
01-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't take it over the original dub, simply because I personally don't like it as much.

-OK, I don't bring this up to get involved in that conversation or anything, but because to me, this is to do with topic at hand, and so I must ask how you can like 4kids dub over any other vision of Yu Gi Oh, I do not hate 4kids like some people do, but still their Yu Gi Oh dub is woeful and the only reason I can see for anyone liking it, is because they could spend money on the visionals, in way others could not, as the they completely rewrote the story, censored out millions of important things and lets face it, cool parts, used some really annoying voice actors, and added in lots of really grating jokes to replace these things.

-But Most of all, they did the very thing I was on about earlier, to the worse degree, they took the intrigty away from the original writers script and replaced it all with their own one, which is just wrong.

=I mean with visionals, who cares, yer they make it look nice, but as this new Avatar film proved, it does not make great media, a great story does that. I mean yer they threw millions at it, but that didn’t improve the over-simplistic and predictable story, it didn’t improve the lack of back-stories to all characters outside maybe the hero, it didn’t save it from average actings (in fact made it worse in my opinion,) and did not save it from all its other problems. Yet a film like Withnail and I is still seen as cultural-classic 30 years on, despite having a begat which would today, equal about 1000 pounds, which probably less than most dictators now spend on their chair, why because had a great story and most importantly a great writer, who refused to let money man mess with it, even if it cost him those money men.

roxasabridged
01-06-2010, 02:59 PM
The Yugioh dub isn't THAT bad >.> All the voices are fine (Except Mokuba and Mai's new ones), the english names are better, and ironically enough, Shadow Realm > Plain old death.

ThePRPD
01-06-2010, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't say the 4kids dub is bad at all. I enjoyed it even when re-watching the later seasons. Seal of Oricalcos was my favorite arc. I just felt annoyed on how they would avoid saying death and stuff.

They could have at least implied it.

ChaosVincent1
01-19-2010, 01:03 PM
If Titan's Fan dub goes as according to schedule, He'll get everything done that he wanted done around 2040.

JC Denton
01-20-2010, 02:49 AM
why would anybody watch a dub? it's like a sex change operation, it's not the real thing and will never be

roxasabridged
01-20-2010, 05:22 AM
Because dubs tend to be great and are usually preffered over the original by people who don't think the japanese voices are better because they can't understand them without subtitles?

Also, how does dubbing anime make it fake?

JC Denton
01-21-2010, 02:49 AM
no dubs generally suck ass, and I'm not only talking about English ones, German dubs are the world's worst

A: only the original version is the vision of the director (this alone is reason enough for me never ever to watch dubs)

B: only the original voices are the... well... original voices! (more important in live action, obviously)

C: mistranslations, lost double meanings, etc. (of course this also applies to subs but to a lesser extent)

just listen to how they pronounce "Shinji" in English dub NGE, it makes me want to puke

or how they pronounce Gendo Ikari (it's Ikari, not Ikari!) in Naruto TAS episode 3 :thatface:

actually, dubs are one of the roots of all that is wrong with this world, that phenomenon makes people accept and even like things that are, as you aptly called it, fake

ThePRPD
01-21-2010, 07:26 AM
^- most common complaint coming from people who prefer the original dubs.

"THE ORIGINAL IS BETTAR THAN ANYTHANG ELSEH!11!!1"
Makes me chuckle a little.

Xanadu
01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
why would anybody watch a dub? it's like a sex change operation, it's not the real thing and will never be

because I don't want to read an episode
it takes a lot away from the show, and if I look away for a sec I don't wanna miss what just happened
dialog is often important

Ohara
01-21-2010, 07:11 PM
It doesn't matter if it's not the real thing. I started off watching dubs because I didn't think I'd like subs. Lo and behold, I was wrong, but I still don't have a problem with dubs as long as they aren't painfully bad.

JC Denton
01-23-2010, 07:18 AM
because I don't want to read an episode
it takes a lot away from the show, and if I look away for a sec I don't wanna miss what just happened
dialog is often important

dubs are fake, people who prefer dubs cannot be taken seriously, end of discussion

ChouToshio
01-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Ok, seriously though-- how are anime/movies/other media made?

People make them.

How are dubs for those anime/movies/other media made?

People make them.

There's no guarantee that the original makers are always ones that have the most talent/experience/resources. There's also no guarantee that that original maker has a better sense for the audience, especially considering the dubbers are targeting a different audience than the original (moving into a different language and possibly culture dynamic).

Ultimately, the better one is better, and it's just an unfortunate side effect of culture that not everyone is versed in every language/culture which complicates it more (though sometimes people from outside the original culture end up liking it more than the original intended audience!).

roxasabridged
01-23-2010, 11:40 AM
dubs are fake, people who prefer dubs cannot be taken seriously, end of discussion

Elitist's can't be taken seriously either.

Xanadu
01-23-2010, 11:47 AM

cause you're just oozing of seriousness aincha?

Cegem
01-23-2010, 12:01 PM
You want an awesome Dub?

Nerima Daikon Brothers. fucking A is it amazing

yamiangie
01-23-2010, 03:16 PM
yeah those songs rock in english. To bad Vic didn't get to use his lovely singing voice

ThePRPD
01-23-2010, 04:03 PM

And you can? I must say your stupid ignorance is amusing.

Cegem
01-23-2010, 05:57 PM
yeah those songs rock in english. To bad Vic didn't get to use his lovely singing voice

Meh, Vic doesn't have a voice for the blues, not saying he's bad, just certain voices suit certain types of music, his falls outside of the blues slot.

Ohara
01-23-2010, 09:00 PM
And you can? I must say you're stupid ignorance is amusing.
Amen, dammit.

ThePRPD
01-24-2010, 08:38 AM
To add on: Sadly amusing.

PBnSpots
03-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Light sounds way cooler than Raito.

lol. I remember I watched Death ote in English and I hadn't seen like any anime in Japanese yet so when I tried to wath it in Japnese I was Like "OMG! His name changed!"...That was a while ago. Death Note had a really good dub though. As did Ouran High School Host Club, Air, Haruhi Suzumiya, Bleach, Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, Lucky Star, One Piece, Tsubasa, and xxxHolic. My list is kinda long but I think people who don't like the dubs are normally like that because they are just close-minded. I watch most anme in Japanese now but I still watch the dubs a lot.

Lord Shmeckie
03-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Cowboy Bebop barely mentioned in here?! For shame! It is the posterchild of great dubs! A dub often regarded as better than the original! Even Shinichiro Watanabe himself liked the dub!

Although, good dubs are less of a big deal these days. They're much more common ever since dubs like Bebop's raised the bar, anime voice actors have vastle improved in both skill and abundance over the years, and then there's FUNimation: the plucky little company that went from the worst producer of English dubs to the best in the business. I mean, seriously, the Texas VA pool will take the worst shows and scripts given to them, and act their asses off in them. Then you've got the LA pool, with consistantly solid VAs like Steve Blum, Johnny Bosch, Jamieson Price, etc. Even the Canadian pool, who've put out some real cornball dubs, have turned out some solid gold material (Death Note and Black Lagoon come to mind).

These days, it's more suprising and rare to hear a bad dub than a good one.

Ohara
03-19-2010, 09:07 PM
These days, it's more suprising and rare to hear a bad dub than a good one.
Yeah, but at the same time, there's not really a universal definition for what most people consider 'bad' - your average weeaboo would instantly write off every dub in existance as terrible without even giving it a chance, for example.
Most dubs I've heard have both good moments and bad moments - I recently watched through the dub for Haruhi, for example, and while it was decent and certainly watchable, there were certain characters that made me want to cry (Mikuru...).
I think the only dubs I've seen that were nigh-on flawless are the ones for Code Geass and Death Note, the latter in particular - admittedly, I've become more attached to them than I was originally with the subs.

Fat1Fared
03-19-2010, 09:42 PM
My list is kinda long but I think people who don't like the dubs are normally like that because they are just close-minded

As I once said to darkarcher, anyone who uses the term close minded has instantly forfeited all meaningful conversation and debate because it is a woefully misconstrued term which is mostly used by poeple who wish to sound enlightened by basically saying your wrong because don't consider beliefs outside your own right, despite the fact I am doing exactly same thing to you!
-To me there is nothing closed minded about having a strong sense of belief, because no matter who you are or how many poeple who condescendingly call closed minded you will have as they do, a strong sense of belief (the fact you call them closed minded for not understanding the idea of liking dubs, then you yourself state your belief showing your own complete lack of understanding of their side why cannot understand liking dubs more, makes great example of this, fact is they disagree with you, you disagree with them, doesn't make ether side closed minded, just means have belief)
=But then it must be asked, is it invariably any better to be a person who never able to stand behind his own convictions and beliefs?
-In my opinion (note word use here) no, because opinions are how we define our sense of self and create our own persona, having opinions is fine and believing those opinions is fine, even stating those opinions is fine (as world is dull place without them) and debating those opinions is fine, the act you put your own opinion proves the point I am attesting too, because this is all just opinion, there is no arbitratory line of right or wrong, there is merely like or dislike along varying scales.

-PS also if you look at the poeple who have said they prefer subs to dubs, most of them have not said that dubs are unwatchable, just that on the whole most of the time they do not consider dubs better than subs because of whatever reasons they have put forward, as in my case, I like to watch it with sense of the culture it came from and with the intent the actual writer gave it. Plus I love hearing languages which are not my own, and I just feel it is a mark of respect, however I never said I wouldn't watch dubs as I do, aspeically if watching it while doing work as need to give more attention than can afford to subs, but the only reason I would ever watch dubs in 90% of cases is because it is easier when have something like work on

PSS Though Ohera I would say the Code Greass dub is very good (along with many dubs, just not better than originals) I am still not sure why poeple love DN dub so much, it is not bad in anyway, still nothing special to it, in my view, in fact just same on level with a lot of more modern dubs, in that it actually follows the original without being stupidly literal about it

PSSS Lord Shm, to be fair that is good point and why do not feel is hate towards dubs there was when I was growing up and had the first "major" ones were coming out, where basically defamed the original, but it still in my opinion doesn't remove that special something that sub's have

Lord Shmeckie
03-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Yeah, but at the same time, there's not really a universal definition for what most people consider 'bad' - your average weeaboo would instantly write off every dub in existance as terrible without even giving it a chance, for example.
Most dubs I've heard have both good moments and bad moments - I recently watched through the dub for Haruhi, for example, and while it was decent and certainly watchable, there were certain characters that made me want to cry (Mikuru...).
I think the only dubs I've seen that were nigh-on flawless are the ones for Code Geass and Death Note, the latter in particular - admittedly, I've become more attached to them than I was originally with the subs.

In the interest of disclosure, I don't watch alot of "Widget" anime series, which probably work better in Japanese (for obvious reasons). All I need from a dub, and all most of your average anime fans ask for in their dubs, are a cast of good actors who fit their characters well enough, with a translation that conveys what is intended properly enough, even if it isn't 100% accurate. That's all I ask, and that's what I get. Hell, I've seen some dubs so good I don't want to hear it in Japanese. Those dub voices ARE the characters. The Japanese voices will just sound like some Japanese people playing those characters. A combination of good casting, good acting, and speaking in my native language is enough to sell me to that voice and that character. I could never watch Solty Rei, for instance, in Japanese. Chris Sabat is Roy Revant, accept no substitutes. No man could top Bob Pappenbrook as J in Heat Guy J, as far as I'm concerned.

It's amazing what a skilled actor you understand can do.

Jaye
03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Im kind of amazed that only one person ahs mentioned Black Lagoon. Its by far the best dubbed anime I've ever listened to.
The voice acting was spot on and by and large they actually had the proper accents for all the different nationalities in the show.

This and anything with Crispin Freeman or Wendee Lee in it would sell an anime for me. I could listen to those two all day and never get tired of their voices.

Ohara
03-20-2010, 06:50 PM
anyone who uses the term close minded has instantly forfeited all meaningful conversation and debate because it is a woefully misconstrued term which is mostly used by poeple who wish to sound enlightened by basically saying your wrong because don't consider beliefs outside your own right, despite the fact I am doing exactly same thing to you!
Hehe, I think you're exactly right here.

I am still not sure why poeple love DN dub so much, it is not bad in anyway, still nothing special to it, in my view, in fact just same on level with a lot of more modern dubs, in that it actually follows the original without being stupidly literal about it
It's just solid all-round with very little to criticize. It does its job perfectly. :wink:

Hell, I've seen some dubs so good I don't want to hear it in Japanese. Those dub voices ARE the characters. The Japanese voices will just sound like some Japanese people playing those characters. A combination of good casting, good acting, and speaking in my native language is enough to sell me to that voice and that character. I could never watch Solty Rei, for instance, in Japanese. Chris Sabat is Roy Revant, accept no substitutes. No man could top Bob Pappenbrook as J in Heat Guy J, as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah - I feel the same way about Braid Swaile as Light, Johnny Bosch as Lelouch and Kira Vincent-Davis as Lucy (Elfen Lied). :biggrin:

WhiteWaterWood
03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
I think people tend to choose whether or not they like dubs based on what they first watch the show with.

That said, I like the Full Metal Alchemist (original) dub much better than the Japanese, simply because in the Japanese the main characters sound like girls. I'm not a fan of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood because it's like all of the voice actors forgot how to act. (except you Vic, you are amazing). Maybe it gets better in later episodes? Also, Al sounds like a girl. Heck, I think he might be played by a girl this time!

I also prefer the Japanese Death Note to the english dub. The dub just sounds so over dramatic and silly to me, and loses a lot of the subtleties in Light's character that I loved.

Again, just my opinion. I don't think I've ever seen a bad dub. I've seen some that aren't so great, but nothing really bad.

Ljos
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately, I can't say anything about English dubs; German dubs are mostly done well, though.

I prefer Kouichi's (Digimon Frontier) German voice over the Japanese one because, while Suzumura is great,his voice is too deep for a 11-years old boy. Sebastian Schulz, on the other hand, uses an adorable voice for Kouichi - it only gets deeper when he voices the evolutions. Reference video because that voice is extremly cute. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sisv_kR8Ko)

The German YGO dub is also awesomely done, in my opinion. I especially loved that they had seperate voice actors for Atem and Yuugi, as well as Ryou and Dark Bakura. While it makes sense to use the same, they are different characters, so different VAs work nicely.
Also, nobody ever mis-pronounced the Japanese names (Seto, Mokuba, Ishizu, ...).

X/1999 was even better, with a lot of famous VAs. Really nicely done.

While some German dubs are really bad (Naruto was plain awful), there are a lot of good ones, often as good as the original one.

And nobody will ever scream like Schulz does.

kazukifafner
03-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Last Exile
Muishishi
5 Centimeters Per Second
Place Promised in Our Early Days
Samurai Champloo
s-CRY-Ed

sanity
03-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I just had to register and share, also to say thanks for some of the suggestions
my recommendation is Desert punk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Punk) 'dub'. (Sunab?zu)

This anime gave me some genuine laughs not just the usual smirk others provide,
I had tried to watch the subbed version right after the first episode
and actually found the dubbed preferable in this case. :smiley3:

On a side note the main character 'Kanta' is voiced by Eric Vale (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5dLevTRF-0) who you might
recognize as Trunks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Vale) in the DBZ series

Which back to topic as the OP had said, is so few and far between it's sad as most dubs are
cringeworthy affairs that lose most charm via interpretation rather than gain or add any.

I do hope you, guys give it a try, episode one is a bit meh compared to the later it gets
a lot more amusing

Additionally (i'm not sure if it's still on topic but) OnePiece has to be one of the worst dubs
I've come across they, have utterly butchered (http://dagobah.biz/flash/one_piece_of_crap.swf) it not only the voiceacting but the scripting,
music and even some of the animation itself.

The 'Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged' remarks about 4kids about this seemingly
bizzare retardation they seem to inflict upon otherwise entertaining shows is right on the mark.:squintyface:

Lord Shmeckie
03-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Additionally (i'm not sure if it's still on topic but) OnePiece has to be one of the worst dubs
I've come across they, have utterly butchered (http://dagobah.biz/flash/one_piece_of_crap.swf) it not only the voiceacting but the scripting,
music and even some of the animation itself.

The 'Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged' remarks about 4kids about this seemingly
bizzare retardation they seem to inflict upon otherwise entertaining shows is right on the mark.:squintyface:[/I]

...You are aware FUNimation took it from 4Kids, and have produced a better dub, right?

sanity
03-21-2010, 10:06 PM
...You are aware FUNimation took it from 4Kids, and have produced a better dub, right?

blissfully not it seems, and I choose to keep it that way :smiley7: (thx for the info tho)
this is mainly because I enjoy the Manga more than the anime anyway.

I've already watched and enjoyed the movies subbed, and am not really one for
re-watching things unless they are truely exceptional

sometimes i check to see how well they pull off some of the
none filler in the show and compare it to what i had visualized while reading

Lord Shmeckie
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM
blissfully not it seems, and I choose to keep it that way :smiley7: (thx for the info tho)
this is mainly because I enjoy the Manga more than the anime anyway.

I've already watched and enjoyed the movies subbed, and am not really one for
re-watching things unless they are truely exceptional

sometimes i check to see how well they pull off some of the
none filler in the show and compare it to what i had visualized while reading

So you're choosing not to watch a compotent and well-acted dub of One Piece while you complain about the long-dead 4Kids dub, even though you don't watch the anime...

How did you miss it at all?! It was years ago, and it was pretty big news.

sanity
03-21-2010, 11:03 PM
So you're choosing not to watch a compotent and well-acted dub of One Piece while you complain about the long-dead 4Kids dub, even though you don't watch the anime...

I prefer subs over dubs (this is not really uncommon TBH) unless it's Bruce Lee or other such awesome films where it adds to the charm, and i have caught it every now and again in this form.

How did you miss it at all?! It was years ago, and it was pretty big news.

As to not wanting to actively try and watch the dub, Thank Aversion Therapy due to watching far to many badly dubbed anime type things, that I tend to stay out of the loop and none caring at that about such news. (I also avoid AMVs and frag movies as you tend to know what to expect)

But every now and again you get a rare gem like Desert Punk (you may disagree to this but everyone has different tastes) and there are some of the other good mentions in this thread btw, that every now and again floats by the radar by chance or however, And they prove to be the exception to this rule.

Espa Roba
03-21-2010, 11:07 PM
FMA was the first dub I watched that was actually pretty good. :O
Sorry my post is so short. Truth be told, I don't watch anime all too much...

sanity
03-21-2010, 11:21 PM
FMA was the first dub I watched that was actually pretty good. :O
Sorry my post is so short. Truth be told, I don't watch anime all too much...

FMA is indeed very watchable dubbed, try the new FMA 'brotherhood (http://forum.yugiohtheabridgedseries.com/showthread.php?t=6034)' (subbed ATM) if you haven't already, it's based on the Manga so the story is quite different (he's still intolerant about height discrimination thou) :D

Another good example of this if you watched the hellsing series, is the new 'hellsing ova' it is the same deal, first few episodes are basically the same.. then it changes quite drastically as it's faithful to the manga.