PDA

View Full Version : Need Anime Documentary/Essays

Coracaldo
01-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi Guys, i'm doing a media studies report entitled 'The history and impact of anime in western society', and i'm looking around for any good essays for this topic, even documentaries would be good. I'm looking for something along the lines of 'Anime in popular culture' or 'Anime fandom (otaku)' so if anybody can help me with anything it would be greatly appreciated, and i would love you long time:wink:

yamiangie
01-02-2010, 04:50 PM
"Cinema anime : critical engagements with Japanese animation" I think this book had a peace on fandom

there is also
http://www.animeresearch.com/
It looks to be the site that will help you track down what you need

Animagess
01-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Anime From Akira to Princess Mononoke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_from_Akira_to_Princess_Mononoke:_Experiencin g_Contemporary_Japanese_Animation) by Susan J Napier is extremely academic, but it's one of the first really in-depth analyses I've read of anime/manga and to this day there are few texts I've found that cover her subject matter in such scholarly detail. The last chapter is all about the fandom and includes snippets of interviews with "otaku", but overall it's a good read regardless (if you're the sort of person who can take reading San's red facial markings in Princess Mononoke to a metaphor for menstruation).

I checked out that anime research site. They have a good list of books, but I suddenly realized how little actual academic texts there are about the subject you're looking for. Most of them will have at least one section dealing with the subculture, however, though it's unlikely you'll find an entire book on the topic. The Journal section will be harder to track down, but it's probably a little more focused.

yamiangie
01-03-2010, 09:40 AM
yeah our culture is mostly documented by armatures on blogs or exists in non academic source magazines.
Try tracking down something on Kill Bill that would be an example of east influencing west