PDA

View Full Version : Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
02-27-2010, 03:16 AM
Basically it's a reboot of the original anime, however less filler more Manga.

you will be seeing a lot of plot lines and episodes that appear in the first anime up until about episodes 12-13 (of brotherhood). That's where the original anime separated from the Manga and headed in a completely different direction.

I am currently up to episode 34, and absolutely in LOVE with this version of the Elric brothers' quest to restore what they had lost when they tried to bring their mother back to life.

mystra
02-27-2010, 09:59 AM
so far i've loved it. i kinda stopped watching it though and i need to pick it back up.

angel of darknezz
02-27-2010, 01:01 PM
I just watched episode 44.
It's so awesome. My eyes were glued to the tv until it was over.

yamiangie
02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
waited for the dub Can't wait till they get past everything already covered in the first series

TitanAura
02-27-2010, 06:44 PM
WARNING: Semi spoiler but if you somehow HAVEN'T discovered Fullmetal Alchemist then GTFO.

My only complaint with Brotherhood is, in fact, the beginning because I felt they rushed through the first act of the series leading to the introduction of Lin (or Ling depending on your preference) rather than taking the character development time necessary to all of the characters that provide motivation later on in the series like Mustang's friendship with Hughes and Greed's loyalty to his chimera followers. It's a series that understands death perfectly and knows exactly how to play off of the devastation and heartache left behind by the void. I felt the first anime did an excellent job in the character development segment but fell short on having a solid focus to the storyline because Ed and Al really do just wander from place to place whereas the manga/second anime gives them a defined goal against an established ringleader of the homunculus.

angel of darknezz
02-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I thought this was a cute moment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/cirith_ithil/FullMetal%20Alchemist%20Brotherhood/LittleEdandAl3.jpg

Blaydrix
03-05-2010, 10:53 PM
The dub has been playing on adult swim for a few weeks now.

ILoveRyou
03-05-2010, 10:55 PM
To me, Full Metal Alchemist isn't the same without the search for the Philosopher's Stone. *sigh*

yamiangie
03-05-2010, 10:58 PM
In responce to Titan I feel that they rushed the first X amount of episodes because they knew that viewers had most likely already read the manga and seen the first series. They wanted to move onto the new manga material before the audience got to bored and stopped watching.

TitanAura
03-05-2010, 11:11 PM
In responce to Titan I feel that they rushed the first X amount of episodes because they knew that viewers had most likely already read the manga and seen the first series. They wanted to move onto the new manga material before the audience got to bored and stopped watching.
Are you kidding? It's FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST. If people get bored with that then they deserve to have their faces pounded into a wall repeatedly.

@ILoveRyou: The "we want magic ball, there's the magic ball, go get magic ball" plotline is a fairly common and cliched plot device. There's nothing inherently wrong with it since that's the fundamental setup of One Piece but I like that FMA is far more complex than that on an intellectual level. The main characters are, in fact, young geniuses after all.

Blaydrix
03-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Are you kidding? It's FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST. If people get bored with that then they deserve to have their faces pounded into a wall repeatedly.

@ILoveRyou: The "we want magic ball, there's the magic ball, go get magic ball" plotline is a fairly common and cliched plot device. There's nothing inherently wrong with it since that's the fundamental setup of One Piece but I like that FMA is far more complex than that on an intellectual level. The main characters are, in fact, young geniuses after all.
I agree wholeheartedly.

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-05-2010, 11:41 PM
To me, Full Metal Alchemist isn't the same without the search for the Philosopher's Stone. *sigh*
there's still a search for a philosopher's stone.

Blaydrix
03-05-2010, 11:55 PM
If anyone wants the first three episodes dubbed (the only ones that have been aired as of this point) I have them.

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-05-2010, 11:57 PM
sweet blay, thanks
but I've been saving them on my DVR.

Blaydrix
03-05-2010, 11:58 PM
sweet blay, thanks
but I've been saving them on my DVR.
I wasn't even aware adult swim was airing brotherhood until a few days ago. I only got the episodes today and haven't had to chance to watch them yet.

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I saw a ad for the brotherhood dub a week before the first ep aired.
and captured every one.

yamiangie
03-06-2010, 12:12 AM
try adult swim video site

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-06-2010, 12:30 AM
I said I already have Brotherhood saved on my DVR.

TheOcean
03-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Admittedly, I miss Al's original voice. Otherwise I liked it.

Blaydrix
03-06-2010, 12:32 PM
try adult swim video site
They didn't post the full episodes.
Admittedly, I miss Al's original voice. Otherwise I liked it.
Aaron Dismuke is amazing. Luckily he said he will be doing another voice for this series, he just doesn't know what yet.

He also said he might be playing a part in a series he's not allowed to talk about yet, but it rhymes with "bobalia." XD

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-16-2010, 02:21 AM
I've managed to get caught up to episode 47.

I didn't really get Greed in the original series, but in brotherhood, I'm kinda digging on him just a tad.

I hate pride, though.

TitanAura
03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
I've managed to get caught up to episode 47.

I didn't really get Greed in the original series, but in brotherhood, I'm kinda digging on him just a tad.

I hate pride, though.
Heh, Lin/Greed is win and I'm happy to hear I'm not the only person to despises Pride. That kid is a mega-dick.

Fat1Fared
03-16-2010, 07:48 PM
greed is always my fav, he is just so honest, its cool

PS Pride is the kid????????? I thought he was the general, unless changes in brotherhood\

=However poeple are going to now be both amazed and want to bash my head in, when I say this, which is that I liked the original amine more 0_o
-Do not get me wrong, Titan makes some points about its flaws which I appreciate, but I felt the opposite to him in one regard, and that is that I felt the characters and their attractments to each other were focused in the first anime, where as in the second, it felt they were trying to force too much plot, emotion and ideology into the characters and their links, meaning I almost became distracted and removed from them

0mnislash17
03-16-2010, 07:55 PM
I believe the Homonculii from the original anime and the ones in the Manga/new anime are slightly different, Fared. I could be wrong since I haven't read the manga but I remember hearing Fuhrer King Bradley wasn't Pride this time around from a friend and Wrath was instead or something.

Fat1Fared
03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I see, 0mni, well not got to the kid yet, but I do plan to watch this series more fully now, as know that one of my problems is that I simply never get far enough into it,

sajeev50
03-19-2010, 11:49 PM
If it's more faithful to the manga than the old anime then I'll definitely have to watch this at some point. =o

TitanAura
03-21-2010, 01:13 AM
I felt the first anime did an excellent job in the character development segment but fell short on having a solid focus to the storyline because Ed and Al really do just wander from place to place whereas the manga/second anime gives them a defined goal against an established ringleader of the homunculus.
Fared, did you miss this bit? What I mean is the first anime gives you much more time to learn and love the characters on an individual basis before a fair few bite the dust while the rest become further provoked/motivated to carry on.

To be honest, in order to appreciate the manga and brotherhood on a better level through the characters my suggestion to people will always be to watch the first anime and THEN read the manga/watch brotherhood. Doing it in the reverse order could easily ruin the first anime since it's so incredibly different from the source material and after all people's instincts drive them towards "CHANGE IS BAD" when it involves something they love.

Lord Shmeckie
03-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Watch the first anime first?! Why would you subject anyone to that?! The first anime was horrible. Ed and Al sulked more than whoever Linkin Park keeps singing about, Scar was a puss, the main villain was beyond stupid, "Sloth" and "Wrath" were moronic and had nothing to do with the sins they were named after, Greed was friggin' tossed aside, and then there's the hilariously stupid "Termin-Archer." I still laugh every time I see him. And he's supposed to be taken seriously, too. Oh, and then there's "WW2 is at the other side of the gate." That was also so stupid it was funny. When I saw that Hitler was in the movie, I damn near choked on my sandwitch.

And I still love how, in the first anime, Al was willing to believe the mind games of the disembodied spirit of a serial killer over his own brother. And then we were treated to some cliche'd "I hate you forever I'm running away" crap. Ironically, in the manga, Winry said to Al exactly what I was thinking when I saw those events unfold in the anime. And let us compare villains:

This is the main villain of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f7/Dante_In_Lyra.JPG/180px-Dante_In_Lyra.JPG)

This is the main villain of the Fullmetal Alchemist manga (http://i40.tinypic.com/b6enfn.gif)

First anime was god-awful. Manga's amazing. Brotherhood's a godsend; now we get Amazing FMA animated (and well-dubbed to boot) for our enjoyment! For those who are new to the series, avoid the first anime like it has herpes, snatch the manga when you can, and watch Brotherhood. FUNi's releasing the DVDs soon, and you know I'll be all over that like stank on manure.

Fat1Fared
03-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Fared, did you miss this bit? What I mean is the first anime gives you much more time to learn and love the characters on an individual basis before a fair few bite the dust while the rest become further provoked/motivated to carry on.

To be honest, in order to appreciate the manga and brotherhood on a better level through the characters my suggestion to people will always be to watch the first anime and THEN read the manga/watch brotherhood. Doing it in the reverse order could easily ruin the first anime since it's so incredibly different from the source material and after all people's instincts drive them towards "CHANGE IS BAD" when it involves something they love.

<facepalm> to myself, think dyslexia took over there, for some reason thought you said second one did character development better, but I still stand by what I said, though the story is better in manga based one, the story in first one is still good and the characters and everything else is so much more (other than in areas where it needed to be less, like the annoying cartoon-cartoon moments, seriously, this Anime is not meant to be a complete comdy, so stop trying so hard to make me laugh -_-)

=In my opinion, it comes down to this, some manga's were not meant to be watched (like Deathnote is so much more forfiling as Manga than Anime can ever be) and the original Anime's writers realised FMA came under this line, so they changed the story to a somewhat more track and focused one, if maybe not as expansive in its application, because knew it worked better.

And I still love how, in the first anime, Al was willing to believe the mind games of the disembodied spirit of a serial killer over his own brother

Someone clearly hasn't seen brotherhood as this happens in both Anime's, only difference is one of them has set enough character development and back plot to at least understand why he is doubting his own existence <facepalm>

-though I will give you it that the movie sucked, that in my eyes is separate thing altogether

TitanAura
03-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Watch the first anime first?! Why would you subject anyone to that?! The first anime was horrible.
Now you've invaded this topic huh? We just can't get along can we? And let me guess.... the first anime is what made you a fan in the first place but now that you've read the manga and seen Brotherhood you've "come to your senses".... yeah don't pull that one. You saw it and loved it at the time so at least give it the respect it deserves for being the reason you enjoy the series now as much as you do.

First anime = inferior to the original. Truth. First anime = awful because the original storyline is better? That's debatable. But the CONCEPT the show is based on, using alchemy at will in a pseudo-realistic setting with two main characters that are missing body parts so they instead have robotic attachments, is still FSCKING AWRSUM. The first episode of either anime will hook ANYONE who watches them. And say what you will about what happens after the events of Hughes, because the whole storyline goes through a blender at that point and the filler characters added into the series throughout can get thrown in there as well, at least the main characters are still rather consistent if only slightly more eccentric, though the angst could be considerably turned down (I think every anime screenplay writer has a daily routine of cutting themselves before working or something considering how much angst characters have for people that never existed in the original mangas). You will still learn to love them regardless of where they are or what they're doing. This is especially true of the homonculus. They had waaaay too much angst *especially Lust* so they don't even compare to the originals in the manga who pull shit so wicked you love them for being so god damn evil or you just plain hate them as you are supposed to and there is very little middle ground with the possible exception of Sloth who just sorta... leaves everyone indifferent.

What's so amazing about both series is how the transition between the original and Brotherhood is. Many people, including myself, became fans because we saw the first anime and thought it was awesome if only for some weird bullcrap at the end and the bizarre world shifting events for which the human mind is simply not equipped. Regardless, we loved it and for that to suddenly become MORE AWESOME the second time around is a rarity. I can't say the same about some animes.... *cough*Claymore*cough*

@Fared: The second half of the first anime was written because that part of the story wasn't even created in manga form yet.... basically they made a separate filler ending because they jumped the gun on making an anime for a series that was barely halfway done yet.

Also, gotta side with Shmekie on the Alphonse "zomg am i real?" angst. It was alright in the original version where it occurs as TWO conversations total and then he gets his head straight, the end. They took it WAAAAY too far in the first anime.

Fat1Fared
03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
-Titan, you know lot more about these shows than me, so I will say that things like the reason changed was lack of knowledge on my part, but the reason you love the characters like homonculus, is very reason I prefer the characters in the original Anime lol, because in brotherhood, poeple like the homonculus seem so much more 2D, there is nothing redeeming to them at all, their simply evil and want what they want and that is it, while I will admit brotherhood is better at linking them to their names, in first Anime it at least gives them a backdrop and reasoning for their actions (and I liked them for that, well other than wrath who was way to much)

-Then have Al's moment, well I thought he was muppet in both of them, but least in the first Anime it sort of builds up with his angst attack, with him doubting his own new body...etc, and slowly builds it down again, in a way that is real and though maybe not likable, at understandable and something to empathise with, while in brotherhood, he is completely happy 1 second, some psycho says something stupid, then without warning he is mr destroyed, 1 conversation later and without warning again, he is happy once more, wow this guys moods change and easier than sycophantic manic depressives

-Do not get me wrong Titan, you speak lot of sense and I agree with your reasoning for the failings of the first, but I felt the failings of the first were so much less noticable and it enjoyment so much more, than they are brotherhood where i cannot help but keep seeing all these problems and keep finding the show annoying, there are times when I will just start to think it is working again and then bang it starts goes off again (still this is just my own ill edcuated opinion, nothing more) lol

bixass
03-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Well I cant say that I didn't enjoy watching it. I love it to the very end and think both version of FMA are just AWESOME!!!.

Lord Shmeckie
03-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Now you've invaded this topic huh? We just can't get along can we? And let me guess.... the first anime is what made you a fan in the first place but now that you've read the manga and seen Brotherhood you've "come to your senses".... yeah don't pull that one. You saw it and loved it at the time so at least give it the respect it deserves for being the reason you enjoy the series now as much as you do.

Haha, look, you think you know me.

No, I hated FMA from the start. Well, not from the start, but from the point where it diverged from the manga. The entire reason I gave the manga a chance was because I found out the shit point was when the anime did it's own thing. That everything I hated was anime-only, and everything I thought gave it promise was from the manga. I reluctantly gave the manga a shot, and have been glad I did ever since.

I most certainly did not love anything about the first anime, save the first few episodes.

First anime = inferior to the original. Truth. First anime = awful because the original storyline is better? That's debatable. But the CONCEPT the show is based on, using alchemy at will in a pseudo-realistic setting with two main characters that are missing body parts so they instead have robotic attachments, is still FSCKING AWRSUM. [more stuff]

The first anime stated that alchemy was powered by dead people from WW2, and that is a fantastic example of why it was awful. The first series got by solely on the quality material the manga handed it. When it tried its own thing... Well, one has to wonder if the ghost of Anne Frank was used to fix that radio in the first episode.

And no one, and I mean no one, can justify Termin-Archer. Oh, and I love how bland Archer was before that. Almost a poster child of how awful series 1was: when it created its own characters from scratch, they were bland, forgettable, and quickly turned laughably stupid.

First anime=awful because it's horribly written. I'd like to state this again: Adolf Hitler is in the movie. That's just stupid no matter how you slice it. The first series was like a fanfiction: all its "good premises" weren't theirs. They got the good ideas from a source material, and used it to write a terrible, terrible story. Brotherhood is more akin to the actual show. The official story. The real one. Series 1 is like a bizarre fanfiction that predates the show it's a fanfiction of. Kinda trippy, that way...

-Titan, you know lot more about these shows than me, so I will say that things like the reason changed was lack of knowledge on my part, but the reason you love the characters like homonculus, is very reason I prefer the characters in the original Anime lol, because in brotherhood, poeple like the homonculus seem so much more 2D, there is nothing redeeming to them at all, their simply evil and want what they want and that is it, while I will admit brotherhood is better at linking them to their names, in first Anime it at least gives them a backdrop and reasoning for their actions (and I liked them for that, well other than wrath who was way to much)

Thing is, though, they're just as two-dimensional in the first series. While they're purely evil in the manga/brotherhood, all the first series did was made them sad. Self loathing is not the same as character depth. Made worse by the massive plothole that is the homonculi's creation. At least manga/brotherhood's homonculi are actual homonculi, and have reasons for their actions (they're incarnations of the sinful desires of their father he expelled from himself). All series 1 said was "we hate our existance so much, we're just gonna listen to this Dante lady because why not."

RebbieChan
03-21-2010, 07:52 PM
FMA manga was awesome! The new anime (Brotherhood) is kicking some serious butt right now! Yes the first anime was kinda lame i agree, Ganix didn't do the best job on it, but when does Ganix ever make great endings? (think Evangellion and FLCL, the endings were very WTF moments to me)

TitanAura
03-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Before even reading this, your majesty, go back and fucking read my comments before firing back at me.

I'll briefly summarize my comments that actually agreed with your previous statements:
1. I agreed on the second half of the anime going bat-shit bonkers as if that even needed to be said.
2. The first anime exclusive characters can all go fall off a bridge for all I care.
3. I actually mentioned that the depressing angst was too frequent and out of place for the main characters. I'll give another example besides Alphonse: Mustang being suicidal after the Ishvalan rebellion in order to cement Hughes as being Roy's trusty wingman. Seeing them on the front lines together was enough.

Haha, look, you think you know me.

No, I hated FMA from the start. Well, not from the start, but from the point where it diverged from the manga. The entire reason I gave the manga a chance was because I found out the shit point was when the anime did it's own thing. That everything I hated was anime-only, and everything I thought gave it promise was from the manga. I reluctantly gave the manga a shot, and have been glad I did ever since.

I most certainly did not love anything about the first anime, save the first few episodes.
Keep telling yourself that. Brotherhood is not without it's WTF moments either: Hulk Cornello. Surely that burst a few blood vessels? To a lesser degree the FIRST FUCKING EPISODE that introduced every major and minor character within a mile radius for shameless fan service as it's very own filler episode. I hope you found that objectionable at least. /trolling

The first anime stated that alchemy was powered by dead people from WW2, and that is a fantastic example of why it was awful. The first series got by solely on the quality material the manga handed it. When it tried its own thing... Well, one has to wonder if the ghost of Anne Frank was used to fix that radio in the first episode.
....again.... second half of series was non-canon and I could care less about the explanations they gave for WHY alchemy works although I find that last statement to be in extremely bad taste and not even chronologically correct as she would be dead 10-15 years too early and therefore an aborted fetus. /more obvious trolling

And no one, and I mean no one, can justify Termin-Archer. Oh, and I love how bland Archer was before that. Almost a poster child of how awful series 1was: when it created its own characters from scratch, they were bland, forgettable, and quickly turned laughably stupid.
BLAH BLAH DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION BLAH I AM A STEALTH TROLL BLAH

First anime=awful because it's horribly written. I'd like to state this again: Adolf Hitler is in the movie. That's just stupid no matter how you slice it.
I agree. Doesn't mean you can't appreciate the fact that it introduced us to the fucking series. I honestly can't fathom why you think I'm defending the first series as this flawless golden calf when I've made a point to nitpick any and every little thing wrong with both animes until their kneecaps give way. It's simply that Brotherhood has that much less to complain about. If you really want to see me get bitchy about this then here:
Lin is my favorite character! Why'd they change his name to Lin(g) in Brotherhood?! How dare they change the spelling of a character to something slightly different but pronounced the same! GRRRR. *rips kitten in half*

While I do this mostly to troll, as anyone who's been here long enough to know that, I am trying to make a point here. Both animes have good bits in them and you have to acknowledge them even if they're surrounded by a massive pile of shit. To give this an equally retarded analogy, FMA 1 is a pile of shit with several large diamonds in the shape of prominent characters scattered around the foundation whereas Brotherhood is a glorious jewel encrusted golden statue with a few pigeon droppings splattered on it.

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-21-2010, 11:41 PM
note: can we avoid spoiling episodes and future plot points of Brotherhood for those that haven't caught up as far as those that are just watching the the Brotherhood anime for the first time or have only seen the first FMA? thanks.
~~
On to what I originally came here to say...

I'm going to have to agree with Titan on the order of watching the FMA animes and reading the Manga.

I got into FMA through the first anime. I was skeptical and curious and after watching a few episodes, LIKED the first anime. I was never aware that there was a different version until a random search on YouTube showed me the first few episodes of Brotherhood.

At first, after watching those precious few episodes of Brotherhood, my initial reaction was hate, for this was not the FMA I knew and loved. My first instinct in regards to change is "Kill it with Fire." My outrage over, what I thought, was the raping of one of my favourite animes eventually died down and I became curious all over again, about this new anime which was FMA but from a different direction. I continued watching more and more eps of Brotherhood and eventually developed a newer stronger passion for the series, enough to seek out and find the Manga, which I am now reading.

Summary, if you are just getting into FMA, watch the first anime to introduce you to the series, then watch Brotherhood to go deeper, and finally, read the manga to tie everything together.

0mnislash17
03-21-2010, 11:55 PM
I agree with Titan, the first anime is what got me into FMA in the first place. Sure the second half of the anime was confusing and hard to believe half the crap was going on but it still was enough to make me and a bunch of other fans happy I'm sure. When I heard that the first series was nothing like the manga I was first like "Wait, what? That possible?" (Mind you, I've never read the manga.) So I checked out the first episode of Brotherhood since it was supposed to follow the manga better and what do you know, it was different but good. So I accepted Brotherhood rather than hate or like one more than the other cause both served a different purpose.

So yeah, watch the first anime first...then watch Brotherhood/read the manga and before you decide to hate the first, just remember it didn't have a complete manga to follow and did a good job with what it had.

Lord Shmeckie
03-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Good god, Titan, you need to go outside or something...!

And I don't need to "tell myself" anything. I thought FMA, as a whole, was horsepiss for the longest time because of that first series. It was well over a year before I gave the manga a shot, and I fully expected that to be a massive mess of angst and plot holes like the anime. Pretty glad I was wrong, there. The only thing the first series did was show me the series exists, which Wikipedia can do just as well, without leading me to believe the show is the television equivalent of browned toilet paper for over a year. I didn't need a terrible "intro series" to check out any of the other mangas I read, so why should FMA series 1 get any credit for doing that?

And why are you flipping out when I agreed with, and elaborated on, the second half that I quoted? Damn, man, you got problems...

And yes, Hulk Cornello was stupid, but it lasted all of a few minutes. So it was hardly worth even the twitch of an eyebrow.

Also, do you know what, exactly, a troll is?! Internet kind, I mean, not the Billy Goats Gruff kind. Which I will totally cop to.

Frankly, I'd advise skipping the first series altogether, and just check out either the manga, or Brotherhood. Series 1 serves no purpose beyond that. Both introduce the characters and story just fine. The manga moreso, in fact.

TitanAura
03-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Good god, Titan, you need to go outside or something...!
And why are you flipping out when I agreed with, and elaborated on, the second half that I quoted? Damn, man, you got problems...

:thatface:

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-22-2010, 12:20 AM
HOLY CRAP EP 48

pride eats gluttony

Lord Shmeckie
03-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Wow, the series is that far in only 48 episodes?! Won't have to wait too long to see the recent, epic events animated, then...!

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-22-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm watching sub, but yeah, 48 eps released so far

Lord Shmeckie
03-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Damn... Shit moves quick when you don't have filler...!

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-22-2010, 01:57 AM
indeed it does.
part of the reason I love brotherhood is that there's less filler than the original and it's more true to the manga

TitanAura
03-22-2010, 10:57 AM
indeed it does.
part of the reason I love brotherhood is that there's less filler than the original and it's more true to the manga
Indeed. It's extremely streamlined and as fast paced as the manga.... in fact it's more fast paced than the manga because it skips a few minor scenes, one of which I noticed the absence of immediately because of my emotional attachment to that particular scene:Dr. Marcoh gives Ed and Al a clue and then is immediately confronted by Lust *END SCENE*. I felt slightly betrayed and bitter because it excluded the methods in which she roughs him up. It still gets the point across that he's totally screwed and the rest is history but in the manga she not only overwhelms him, as to be expected, but what shot me through the heart is when that little girl named Kiri runs in the through the front door and becomes a hostage before you can say "boned." Although Kiri is nothing special and has nothing to do with anything later on, what makes or breaks this scene is the masterful usage of facial expressions, which requires artistic precision and control. The transitions from happy playfulness to utter shock to sudden horrible realization is haunting. Even better are Lust's facial expressions showing how much "pleasure" she's taking in subjecting both Marcoh and this mistakenly involved young girl to this torture. Every time you see her she has this playful, yet incredibly cruel smile on her face unless she's demanding something with absolute seriousness. She makes you, the reader, know she's not to be fucked with regardless of how many positions you can think of har har.

I had always thought that each chapter had approximately 1/2-3/4 of an episode worth of material varying from chapter to chapter since some have significantly more dialogue than others while some are significantly action based but the production seems to be using 2-3 chapters per episode while ripping the plot to the bone and harvesting the raw marrow and for that I have to admit, it's got the best damn pacing of any anime series I can think.

WhiteWaterWood
03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Personally, I liked the first series as much as, and a bit more, than brotherhood. People are entitled to their opinions. Or do you people forget that in your 'OMG IT SUX 4EVA I AM RITE U R RONG!' rants?

I think both series have characters of equal strength and depth. Other than 'filler' villains almost everyone has a complex motive and personality. Not everyone, but lots of them.

The thing I love best about FMA is if you skip an episode you will actually miss something. Some shows you can skip an entire arc and still understand it, but FMA is more like a continuous story that isn't meant to be picked up and looked at half-assedly. It's an entire story and world of it's own with a continually moving plot. (Except some filler, but, well.... all shows have that.)

TitanAura
03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
(Except some filler, but, well.... all shows have that.)
That would be the minimum shittiness quota. FMA:B just barely squeaks by.

Fat1Fared
03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
I have to say 99% of what Titan says is so on mark, both shows have limits and problems, but both have good points and only thing really dissent on is final judgment, to me the problems less in Anime than Brotherhood,

ggbhtg
03-25-2010, 12:05 PM
There's so much stuff to read in here so I'm just gonna say.....

Marcoh PWNS Envy = WIN
Mustang Vs Envy = WIN-er

Also, 1st Anime needed more Xing

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
03-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Before he became greed he was kind of an annoying spaz
after he became greed he became badas, and thus awesome.
FMA:B philosophy: Greed makes people awesome.

*nods*

ggbhtg
03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
TRUFACT

Lord Shmeckie
03-27-2010, 11:32 PM
FMA:B philosophy: Greed makes people awesome.

*nods*

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/09/24/wario_narrowweb__300x419,0.jpg

Nintendo's been saying that for years.

sajeev50
03-28-2010, 01:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PcjYfE4M_I

FMA AMV which I think is pretty incredible

Also I started watching Brotherhood and am really liking it so far. It's progressing a bit quicker than I would have liked but it's still really well done.

jedirolix
03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
I have been watching FMA Brotherhood and it is indeed far better than the original anime i must say. I kinda like how they've done Alphonse in this one (Not as faggy as in the original anime) No one complain at me about it being based on the manga, i know i just haven't read it XD I'm up to date with the episodes and i seriously can't wait to see what happens next. ^^

FuzzyG57
04-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I personally like both of the animes about the same, although I think that FMA: Brotherhood kinda rushed over some of the events that happen in the first eight or so episodes, where they cover the same events as they did in the first anime. In the original anime, everything seemed a bit more poignant, you got to know the characters a bit more first, and then you felt bad for them when bad stuff happened. In FMA: B... not so much.
My only qualm with FMA:B is Al's (dubbed version) voice. When I watched the first episode I thought "What the hell happened to Al's voice?" I just can't get over it, it just doesn't sound right.
But besides that, I absolutely love Fullmetal Alchemist. I was addicted after the first episode, and I can only hope that they continue for many more episodes to come!

ggbhtg
05-21-2010, 08:23 AM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-06/fma-irie-confirms-animating-manga-end-in-2-months

Noooo! I was just getting into it!

tyyyppi
05-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Gotta love FMA Brotherhood, it's amazing. Though, I liked the first anime very much too, but I think I like the secong one better. Aaaanyways, I love Fullmetal Alchemist very much :3

TitanAura
05-21-2010, 02:40 PM
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-05-06/fma-irie-confirms-animating-manga-end-in-2-months

Noooo! I was just getting into it!
I KNEW IT! This is brilliant marketing and production planning to end both at almost the exact same time because it's like receiving a double dose of the explosive finale. Arakawa won't be getting much sleep for quite a while.

magelet
05-29-2010, 12:26 AM
I love it to death! I'm a huge fan of the manga, so when I heard they were making a faithful adaption, I was super excited. And so far, they have not let me down.
I love that the animation actually looks like Arakawa's art, instead of just every other run-of-the-mill shounen anime. And of course, seeing the awesome characters who didn't make it into the first series finally get animated filled me with fangirl-y joy. :3

SetoKeith
05-29-2010, 01:21 AM
I love it to death! I'm a huge fan of the manga, so when I heard they were making a faithful adaption, I was super excited. And so far, they have not let me down.

This I have to agree.

I found it interesting that Brotherhood was light and comedic compared to the first FMA series being dark and tragic.

Greedling ftw...Pride needs a good butt kicking for what he did to Gluttony.

Anna-aurion
05-31-2010, 10:44 PM
I love it!! It's so much better than the first anime.

Tachibana Azumi
06-05-2010, 06:44 AM
I was young (as in a kid) when I watched the first anime, so I probably had no memory of the first. I only watch the anime for the shits and giggles.
To be honest, I didn't really like Brotherhood at first because of the forced funnies, but as I got further I began to like the series because it was starting to get interesting. Then it turned into full fangirlism as I got deeper.

3 episodes to go (with one airing tonight which I will watch tomorrow), 1 chapter to go, and it'll be time to say bye-bye to this godhand series.
BTW nice marketing ploy, Bones. *3* Please don't ruin the ending.

ggbhtg
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/108

SERIES FINALE IS HERE

I did have a spoiler-tastic post about the ending, but I'm post something that'll probably come off as sappy instead! Yhe clues about what did happen were already placed throughout these last chapters, but there are still some things I weren't expecting, too!

I've known about this series for a long time and I tuned in and out of the first anime, and in my typical way of watching short but sweet series (like Death Note and such),
I accidently spoiled the ending for myself by just watching on the wrong day.

But like Death Note, I stayed interested, and it wasn't until the dub of Brotherhood started that I finally put both feet in the boat and realized what I was missing.

I'm sad to see another series I practically grew up with end, but it couldn't have in a better way.

Ready Steady Go!

TitanAura
06-24-2010, 04:00 PM
*watches episodes 60 and 61*

.....*looks down*

....I think I took a peetinkle.

ggbhtg
06-24-2010, 10:42 PM
WTF am I doing NOT watching that?

*goes to watch ep 59*

Looks liks the finale is airing this sunday...so soon?

Just a mere 2 1/2 weeks later?

Well played, Bones.

TitanAura
06-25-2010, 04:38 PM
WTF am I doing NOT watching that?

*goes to watch ep 59*

Looks liks the finale is airing this sunday...so soon?

Just a mere 2 1/2 weeks later?

Well played, Bones.
Me thinks some animators haven't slept in a fortnight.

ggbhtg
06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I just had to post this character growth comparison.

I don't know which eps these screenshots are from, but...
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9669/1267480357027.jpg

Ed changed THAT much?!

LordZorc
06-26-2010, 05:32 PM
I like Brotherhood.

That is all.

ggbhtg
06-28-2010, 03:49 AM
*watches episodes 60 and 61*

.....*looks down*

....I think I took a peetinkle.

*actually watches 59-61 this time*

Oh......DAMN.

Also, the final episode airs July 4 (I actually knew that but I let Wikipedia trick me for some reason).

*proceeds to finish 62 and 63*

Anna-aurion
06-28-2010, 12:09 PM
This I have to agree.

I found it interesting that Brotherhood was light and comedic compared to the first FMA series being dark and tragic.

Greedling ftw...Pride needs a good butt kicking for what he did to Gluttony.

Pride does get a good butt kicking.

TitanAura
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I just had to post this character growth comparison.

I don't know which eps these screenshots are from, but...
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9669/1267480357027.jpg

Ed changed THAT much?!
ED BEING TALLER THAN SOMEONE? BLASPHEMY.

FuzzyG57
07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm going to miss Brotherhood so much when it's over!!! (Yes, I know the manga has already been aired, but I've only watched the anime, knowing the manga is always further ahead.)

When I started watching FMA:B I honestly liked the first anime better - I guess the humor appealed to me more or something. But now.... I can't stand the first anime. The plot is more ridiculous than I realized at the time, and watching it again, I realized some things were never explained as well as in Brotherhood. Like the Gate, for example, and how it could be opened never really made sense in the first anime. Thank goodness they redid it in Brotherhood!!!

ggbhtg
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
The first anime was supposed to be different.

That's how the studio that made it (Bones) and the creator of the manga planned it.

TheOcean
07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I can guarantee that I'm going to own this box set one day...when it comes out, lol!

ggbhtg
07-05-2010, 08:49 AM
ANIME VERSION OF SERIES FINALE HERE

http://www.watchanimeon.com/full-metal-alchemist-brotherhood-episode-64-final/

Also, there's gonna be a movie version! :thatface:

FuzzyG57
07-06-2010, 01:29 AM
ANIME VERSION OF SERIES FINALE HERE

http://www.watchanimeon.com/full-metal-alchemist-brotherhood-episode-64-final/

Also, there's gonna be a movie version! :thatface:

WHAAAAT??? Is this going to be another Conqueror of Shamballa thing? I wish to know more!

ggbhtg
07-06-2010, 02:50 AM
WHAAAAT??? Is this going to be another Conqueror of Shamballa thing? I wish to know more!

me no know yet

AsteriskRocks
07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
I dislike how they just added a mustache onto Mustang's face in the anime version.

easygoinguchiha
07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
you can't be the fuhrer and not have a stache.

AsteriskRocks
07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
you can't be the fuhrer and not have a stache.

He didn't have it in the manga.

Edit: Could you be insinuating that someone in the BONES production staff or someone who is in the drawing staff is a Crypto-fascist?

easygoinguchiha
07-06-2010, 02:38 PM
no, just

hitler-stache
Bradley-stache
Gruman-stache
Mustang-no stache before, but the only time you see him as the fuhrer, boom he magically grew a mustache

TitanAura
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Please, the Hitler-stache is a perfectly reasonable facial hair setup. It's just that a giant dick ruined it for everyone by branding it with his infamous name.

ggbhtg
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
He didn't have it in the manga.

Edit: Could you be insinuating that someone in the BONES production staff or someone who is in the drawing staff is a Crypto-fascist?

1. I agree that the stache sucks. I coulda sworn he had it in the manga. I'll check.... Nope!
2. He's not even Fuhrer yet, which makes the supposed purpose of said 'stache pointless.
3. Scott Pilgrim is AWSOME. I read volumes 1-4 and some of 5 today!

TitanAura
07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
1. I agree that the stache sucks. I coulda sworn he had it in the manga. I'll check.... Nope!
2. He's not even Fuhrer yet, which makes the supposed purpose of said 'stache pointless.
3. Scott Pilgrim is AWSOME. I read volumes 1-4 and some of 5 today!
I'll be reading Scott Pilgrim once I locate it at one of my local libraries.

ggbhtg
07-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I'll be reading Scott Pilgrim once I locate it at one of my local libraries.

Do it and you too can be one of the people who says "The book was much better"