PDA

View Full Version : Being Alone

ThePRPD
02-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Does anyone here see themselves possibly being alone for a very long time in their life?

Living alone. Eating alone. Going to places alone.
Alone in terms of being in a relationship with another human being?

MrsSallyBakura
02-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Doesn't matter to me.

If I'm 'meant to be' in a relationship with someone, it'll happen in due time. When I'm ready. When he's ready.

I can't predict how long that will be. So I'm not gonna bother trying.

Just take life as it comes.

AllisonWalker
02-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Nope.

darkarcher
02-28-2010, 11:23 PM
The problem with being alone is that there's such a negative social slant against it. There's really nothing wrong with it overall. Although human interaction is important, that does not mean that everyone should have a significant other.

MrsSallyBakura
02-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I didn't realize how stupid Valentine's Day was until this year when I was single for it.

I was like, "...I don't have a Valentine and I'm not gonna bother trying to get one."

One of my friends said that she doesn't feel 'lonely' on Valentine's Day because she has a lot of other close friendships. I agree with her, as I have close friendships as well.

When you have friendships like that, you're probably less likely to be desperate for a romantic relationship. Sure you'll probably get in one if the opportunity arises, but you won't be trying to predict your lonely or perfect future so much.

Xanadu
02-28-2010, 11:52 PM
yes I would like a life of exile somewhere quiet
I enjoy being alone and not having others nag at me
I don't enjoy being around people all that much, I just have to put on a face
and drown out pretending to have fun
its not enjoyable
only reason I've ever cared is people treat me like total garbage for being alone
I wouldn't be happy with a girlfriend
I'd probably be more miserable, and a lot more broke

musigal
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM
I like being alone for a lot of life. I eat lunch by myself, walk to class by myself. I don't really have many friends at school and that's totally fine by me. Sometimes when I'm at home with my friends I like to be alone anyway. I think it's stupid when people think that just cause you're eating alone or something means you're unhappy or friendless.

that is not to say, though, that I don't value my friends and want to include them in my life. It's just that sometimes I like to be alone.

AllisonWalker
03-01-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm going to the land of 14/100. I will not be alone.
;D

MrsSallyBakura
03-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I like being alone for a lot of life. I eat lunch by myself, walk to class by myself. I don't really have many friends at school and that's totally fine by me. Sometimes when I'm at home with my friends I like to be alone anyway. I think it's stupid when people think that just cause you're eating alone or something means you're unhappy or friendless.

You're right. Introvert =/= lonely, emo, unhappy, anti-social, other negative connotations that introversion has.

Kanariya674
03-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I can understand wanting to be alone, and I think all of us whether we are introverts or extroverts need 'alone time'. However, too much time spent by yourself can be detrimental to mental health in that you can have difficulty communicating with others, fear to go out in public, etc., but that's somewhat of an extreme. I secluded myself for a while and currently I do have issues going anywhere crowded besides school, although I am getting better.

Personally, I like having time to myself. When I'm familiar with my environment, I'm outgoing and charismatic, but in a lot of instances I put on a facade for people. When you're alone, you can express yourself in ways that make you more comfortable.

Very true. Also, what I find annoying is when people assume you have a few friends, you must be lonely. I would rather have two friends that mean the world to me than have a face-value of hundred who hold no significance.

Even so, with two or a hundred friends, no one can truly survive being 'alone'. We thrive on interacting on some level - if we didn't, no one here would be able to type or speak properly.

Mokuba Kaiba's Girl
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Just awhile back, I was angry and upset that I had no friends IRL. At all. But recently, a girl's been declaring she's my best friend and following me everywhere, and so I find it irritating :S

Having a few friends (or none at all) could mean many things; it could mean you're bad at socializing, you don't have time for friends, you like to be by yourself, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean you're an emo or a loner, which is what most people percieve it to be

AllisonWalker
03-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I won't be alone. I like people.
:3
But I'm more introverted than extroverted.

Xanadu
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
well I am introverted and don't like people for the most part

musigal
03-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I like people.
:3
But I'm more introverted than extroverted.

yes. this.

ThePRPD
03-01-2010, 09:01 PM

that is not to say, though, that I don't value my friends and want to include them in my life. It's just that sometimes I like to be alone.

I'm pretty much the same way except I have, like, one person IRL that I consider a friend at this point and my perspective on most people these days is a case of inner conflict, if that makes any sense.

Being cynical doesn't help much either. =/

MrsSallyBakura
03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't like being cynical. I can be that way so very much if I'm not careful...

It just makes me depressed and unnecessarily negative.

ThePRPD
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
It just makes me depressed and unnecessarily negative.

It certainly does. At this point, for me, not being cynical is easier said than done.

BloodyLimey
03-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Being alone alone is only slightly worse than being together alone though, e.g. extreme long distance. I live in the UK and my partner lives in the US. Its frustrating knowing you have somebody yet you can't have them for months at a time.

Underling
03-04-2010, 04:35 AM
This is funny.

I guess it's nice to distract myself by talking with you people on the internet on occasion, but you guys crack me up sometimes.

You don't have "many" friends?
Your partner lives far away?

Let me tell you, I have not had a single "friend" in all my 24 years of life, but this is a trivial matter - you couldn't fathom the difference between any one of you and I.

There are people that this world cripples, unseen lives that are crushed by the constant, unnecessary weight of human "society".

Forced to share the world with billions of people you'll never meet... it's ridiculous. Barbaric, even.

The people crushed by this ridiculous world, I'll definitely save them.

sextatious13
03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
This is funny.

I guess it's nice to distract myself by talking with you people on the internet on occasion, but you guys crack me up sometimes.

You don't have "many" friends?
Your partner lives far away?

Let me tell you, I have not had a single "friend" in all my 24 years of life, but this is a trivial matter - you couldn't fathom the difference between any one of you and I.

There are people that this world cripples, unseen lives that are crushed by the constant, unnecessary weight of human "society".

Forced to share the world with billions of people you'll never meet... it's ridiculous. Barbaric, even.

The people crushed by this ridiculous world, I'll definitely save them.

And here I thought my intimacy issues were relevant to this thread.

When you save these people.... might you need a young ward? And by young I mean 5 years younger than you?

Underling
03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Ha, well I suppose that could be fun, but somehow I can't imagine it.

sextatious13
03-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Oh.... i understand.....

http://tykesontrikes.com/images/profound_sadness.gif

Mokie
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Kyaaa~ I don't want to be alone.
I hope I get a nice boyfriend one day ^^

Alaska Slim
03-07-2010, 07:00 AM
When you're emo like me, then cyncical about being emo, then constantly berating yourself about both, it causes you to act out in odd ways that make other people go "huh?" just a little too often.

Akwardness, something I can never overcome, I have a pleasant conversation once in a while, but the air I carry is just something that rebuffs people in general, and I fail to become close to them as a result.

There is.... more to it, but I'm already bored with this so:

Yeah, alone, YAY!

gwtyler1985
03-07-2010, 07:23 AM
i'm not really a fan of being alone for long periods of time. it's too lonely...

killshot
03-07-2010, 10:15 AM
When you're emo like me, then cyncical about being emo, then constantly berating yourself about both, it causes you to act out in odd ways that make other people go "huh?" just a little too often.

Akwardness, something I can never overcome, I have a pleasant conversation once in a while, but the air I carry is just something that rebuffs people in general, and I fail to become close to them as a result.

There is.... more to it, but I'm already bored with this so:

Yeah, alone, YAY!

Move out of Alaska. More sunlight will make you happier and less emo. Vitamin D is your friend.

ILoveRyou
03-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I didn't realize how stupid Valentine's Day was until this year when I was single for it.

I was like, "...I don't have a Valentine and I'm not gonna bother trying to get one."

One of my friends said that she doesn't feel 'lonely' on Valentine's Day because she has a lot of other close friendships. I agree with her, as I have close friendships as well.

When you have friendships like that, you're probably less likely to be desperate for a romantic relationship. Sure you'll probably get in one if the opportunity arises, but you won't be trying to predict your lonely or perfect future so much.

I have friends like that, so many wonderful friends that are close to me. But, they all have boyfriends, whether they be 'officially' together, or just a loosely maintained relationship.
On Valentine's Day, I was alone, and I felt lonely. It seems everyone around me has a significant other that they were with (and they were all together that day, I might add), and it kind of made me feel unwanted, to be honest.
Then again, I don't believe in middle-school relationships, so I'll just process this situation in my mind when/if it arises in high school.

I agree. I do like being alone, but I'm also kind-of a socialite. I like being with other people, talking, laughing, enjoying each others company. Unlike you, I usually bump into a friend and we walk to class together, and I eat lunch with my best friends. It feels nice to be with others.

But, being alone also gives you time to think, which I need. I've got personal problems I need to sort out in my head.

The problem with boyfriends/girlfriends is a curious one, depending on your views. I haven't had a boyfriend ever, and I'm fine with it, sometimes. I told one of my friends this, and she said it was sad that I hadn't been in a relationship yet. Personally, I couldn't care less because, again, I don't believe in middle school relationships. It's all fake. People tell each other they love the other after only 6 days most of the time. They throw the word 'love' around so much, it loses it's true meaning.

There are sometimes when I do wish I had a boyfriend, though. Sometimes, I feel the need to be held by someone that cares about me in that sense. Someone that looks past my flaws, and even embraces them. But, I suppose I just deal with that for the time being.

AllisonWalker
03-07-2010, 10:32 AM
LOL @ Middle school dating.

It means nothing. Everyone finds love when the time is right for them. Hell, I didn't date in high school and from the looks of it, through my first year of college and that's perfectly fine.

Do what's right for you. No one(unless you are very lucky) in middle school or high school is going to give you the acceptance you're looking for. Everyone's too busy trying to figure themselves out to be worried about others(as they should be).

YamiXYugi4EVER
03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
When I was in primery school, I never really interacted with anyone, I just wanted to be on my own, I got bullied a lot, when I was in high school I managed to make some friends and now that I'm college I seem to be opening up more,

I rather not be alone, only when I get tired and frustrated do I feel like being alone

musigal
03-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I agree. I do like being alone, but I'm also kind-of a socialite. I like being with other people, talking, laughing, enjoying each others company. Unlike you, I usually bump into a friend and we walk to class together, and I eat lunch with my best friends. It feels nice to be with others.

the friends I have have differing schedules from me for lunch on most days, but when we can eat together we do =)

Alaska Slim
03-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Move out of Alaska. More sunlight will make you happier and less emo. Vitamin D is your friend.

Ah, but you forget, Alaska is also the Land of the Midnight Sun, the periods of darkness are balanced by the times where it can, indeed, be 12:00 A.M., and the sun is still up.

True, it can be murder on the sleep cycle if you don't know how to adjust (pro tip: REALLY HEAVY BLIND SHADES).

Besides, the oil royalties would be enough to brighten my day even if that weren't true (ergo, screw vitamin D, I GOT (Oil) MONEY!).

Allygam
03-17-2010, 10:57 PM
I like being alone but only if i am really alone, like there is absolutely no one else for me to come in direct contact with. I tend to put up a front for everyone else, and putting up a front is tiring...so it is enjoyable to be alone.

Ishikawa Oshro
03-18-2010, 10:18 AM
You all amaze me for the most part. Ive always thought people who were always alone just may need a good friend to talk with. Someone who can show them a good time or get their social skills a bit up to par but I may be gravely mistaken.

I am a very outgoing kind of man. I can easily walk into a crowd of people and start a conversation from anything ranging on history to a current even with maby some added X factor questions here and there but nontheless. I value relationships more than I value my alone time. Ive always put friends and others before myself.

Just the kind of man I am. Im fully aware of the statistics that too much time alone can be unhealthy and bad for you mentaly (physically im not too sure of unless the mental stress coincides with your physical being). I think one of my very first best friends is what I would have considered a loner and someone who (unlike me) values that cup o joe and the paper more than a friend and that bagel. I thought he was an unhealthy kid and it always angered me (kinda still does =P) but ive come to learn that people are all just different.

If anything. The balance between alone time and time with others should be balanced in some way. Dosent have to be perfect but there should be a good ratio of time alone (so you can sort situations out through your head and plan ahead) and time with others (so you can learn to socialize and also get some things off your chest, etc etc

musigal
03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
there is also such a thing as spending too much time with people to an unhealthy degree. like you say, it's a balance. you need time to refresh yourself alone, but you also should socialize.

also, just because you like being alone doesn't mean you don't value people or even put other people before yourself. I value people very much. they are the only thing in this world that matter. but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy time alone either.

on the other side of things, some people DO need someone to show them social skills etc. there are those who crave people and attention who do not get it because of such a lack. The key is knowing the difference and only helping those that need help.

phoenixdaughterAM
03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
*sigh* I'm stuck where no one loves me and the only one who knows about the Adbridged series and cares is my brother. I can see myself being alone for a long while.

Toa Lord Sothe
03-19-2010, 01:30 AM
Depends on weather the girl at the burger shop kicks me in the nads or not.

JMZ
03-19-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm not very good with people really. I tend to hold myself away because I usually end up saying or doing something that either makes me look like a complete idiot or causes offence. It's just easier not to bother.

maisetofan
04-15-2010, 01:07 AM
The problem with being alone is that there's such a negative social slant against it. There's really nothing wrong with it overall. Although human interaction is important, that does not mean that everyone should have a significant other.

this is very true and i agree that there is a very negative depiction of people who are "alone" at a certain age its like a social "no no" or something

"oh you are thirty and single?" "hmm thats odd"
not that i am thirty but that is what i have heard from people who are single and in their mid to late thirties, it seem no matter where you go in the world there is that stigma attached with singleness

and sally, valentines day does suck lol especially if u had someone to share it with the year before and now you don't

Draconia Dominus
05-02-2010, 03:06 AM
I go to the equivalent of a middle school... and probably pretty lonely, considering I'm never invited to outings (probably because I live so far away from them), despite having a group of friends I meet at school. My parents are divorced, and I can't communicate with them well because I kinda forgot how to talk in Cantonese (D'oh!). I'm already alone to quite a great degree. I'm trying to change that, though.

About Valentine's day... this year, probably because people assume I'm paranoid about/against romance, someone bought me an anonymous rose. Almost LOLed in class.

As mentioned already, balance is important. A lot of things in life should be moderated, including careers, relationships, etc, etc, etc.

maisetofan
05-02-2010, 08:01 PM
^yes^ agreed to DDs statement above about balance