PDA

View Full Version : Informative or Crazy? "Yu-Gi-Oh!: Occult Symbolism for Children"

FashionBat
03-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I found this article, and wanted to hear what people who knew more about this series would think of this conspiracy theory-laced analysis that draws parallels between occult secret societies and the occult symbolism in this cheesy kids show.

Check out the article here. (http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=3300)

Are we all mind slaves to this camp anime's nefarious intentions? ;P

(oh, and this is my first time actually posting... so, hi.)

MrsSallyBakura
03-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Well first of all, you have to remember that this "cheesy kids show" is more mature in nature in the original Japanese version.

Last year I started rewatching the Japanese version and I definitely noticed stuff from the occult. But there were also a lot of other pieces of symbolism from Christianity.

I think the Japanese just like to tie in religious symbols in some of their series. It plays some significance if you're one of those people who pays attention to symbolism in whatever they read/watch, but for those who don't, I doubt that they are becoming 'mind slaves' to the whole concept.

killshot
03-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Sally's right. Symbolism can be found in a lot of Japanese shows. Take Evangelion for example. There were crosses and other Christian symbolism found throughout the show, but even the creator himself said that it didn't mean anything. I think the same can be said about YuGiOh. Adding symbolism to a show can make it seem deeper than it really is. Its best not to take it seriously.

MrsSallyBakura
03-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Also take note of the fact that in the article when they compare the names of YGO characters to famous occult people, they're using the English names and not the Japanese ones. Therefore the original version of the show doesn't name some of these characters after the occult (there were only, like, 2 of them anyways). They were just names that the English dubbers chose.

I don't think it's crazy to look into these symbols and try to come up with your own meaning, but it's not something that you need to take very seriously.

Fat1Fared
03-14-2010, 05:55 PM
-Yer, I think Killshot and sally have about covered this, this simply someone with too much time on their hands, reading too deeply into a show, not to be peritonising to the writers, but I would be amazed if they even new the full extant/meaning of the symbols they were using anyway O_0

PS I think the problem with trying to find such meaning in shows, is if you read/look hard enough you can see anything within anything,

-IE take me and Sally, we could both watch the same show, but because of our conflicting stances, we could both take difference meanings from it (hell even with the same stance, take different meanings)

Shonee
03-19-2010, 11:10 PM
I certainly do think this article is interesting. I've noticed some occult references in Yu-Gi-Oh!, and I'm still searching for others for the heck of it.

Then again, I think the original Yu-Gi-Oh! wasn't intended for what 4Kids uses it for today, as stated by Sally above. Visible especially in Season 0. Especially in Season 0.

AllisonWalker
03-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Season 0...
>_>
<_<

Shonee
03-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Exactly. xD
Best season in my opinion, though.

AllisonWalker
03-19-2010, 11:19 PM
It's alright. I perfer DK.

Shonee
03-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Really? That's interesting.

Nightfall
03-20-2010, 02:35 PM
I'd just like to point out that the eye in the pyramid is used by loads of very different organizations, most of the not at all to do with the occult. And, sure the symbols presented do get used by secret societies, but that's because the ancient Egyptians used them. And what is the main 'background' for this whole anime? Egypt! So of course Egyptian symbolism would be used. It'd be weird if it wasn't.

NinjaLlama
03-20-2010, 03:04 PM
It says underneath the giant rock picture:
"This Egyptian relic bears uncanny similarities with Crowley’s “Stele of Revealing”, a wooden funerary stele which became a sacred artifact to members of the O.T.O."
NO IT DOESN'T!!!
Also, who spends their time writing an article about a childrens tv show??!!

MrsSallyBakura
03-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Also, who spends their time writing an article about a childrens tv show??!!

You'd be surprised.

Children's entertainment is a lot more serious than most people think it is. You can read into it as much as you want.

Companion Cube
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM
While I do think the article is reading a little too much into the show, it does bring up an interesting point: How did The Seal of Orichalcos get past 4kids' censors?

NinjaLlama
03-24-2010, 02:11 PM
While I do think the article is reading a little too much into the show, it does bring up an interesting point: How did The Seal of Orichalcos get past 4kids' censors?

You'd be surprised just how much gets passed 4Kids. In the movie, Kaiba almost swore, so yeah i think by season 4 they forgot to pay attention...

Turtlicious
03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
lawlz

AnAliasUnknown
04-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Given the prevalence of the other "occult conspiracy" articles that are on that site, I can't say I'm inclined to take that fairly seriously.

Not to mention much of the symbolism is more related to the Egyptian basis of the series, not necessarily some crazy cult who seem to have adopted it for themselves.

[if the offends anyone, I apologize. Conspiracy theorists just irritate me greatly]

Draconia Dominus
05-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Agreed with majority: the people of the (apparently deleted) article are paranoid. Whilst the media is capable of influencing people, I don't see how Yu-Gi-Oh is sending particular messages regarding the occult to its audiences. It's just there as symbolism and a set of allusions.

greymagick711
05-09-2010, 03:23 PM
The mysteries behind the occult are engaging. So, saturating a show with symbolism is probably just a marketing strategy.

Take Evangelion for example. Really, it just reflected Japan's 1990's hype with foreign stories and religion at the time.
Evangelion Assistant Director Kazuya Tsurumaki:
"There are a lot of giant robot shows in Japan, and we did want our story to have a religious theme to help distinguish us. Because Christianity is an uncommon religion in Japan we thought it would be mysterious. None of the staff who worked on Eva are Christians. There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool. If we had known the show would get distributed in the US and Europe we might have rethought that choice."

But Yu-Gi-Oh takes occult from many different cultures--from the Chinese jar dragons to the Ouija Board to just slapping a plain old Pentagram on monster cards.

The guy just wanted to make it more interesting by using timeless plot devices.

Jotenks
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Given the prevalence of the other "occult conspiracy" articles that are on that site, I can't say I'm inclined to take that fairly seriously.greatly]
Agreed, I remember being linked to an article on that site a while ago and it was goin on about how the MTV awards ceremony was just a massive occult ritual.

Look! Something has the slightest, even perhaps accidental allusion to the occult, they must be spreading it as propaganda to popularise it and brainwash us! I must now tell everybody about this on THE INTERNET! Along with every single other show out there doing the exact same thing.

TitanAura
05-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Well first of all, you have to remember that this "cheesy kids show" is more mature in nature in the original Japanese version.

Last year I started rewatching the Japanese version and I definitely noticed stuff from the occult. But there were also a lot of other pieces of symbolism from Christianity.

I think the Japanese just like to tie in religious symbols in some of their series. It plays some significance if you're one of those people who pays attention to symbolism in whatever they read/watch, but for those who don't, I doubt that they are becoming 'mind slaves' to the whole concept.
The reason the Japanese can so easily use such symbols with tangentially related meanings is because it means nothing to their own culture specifically.... not while they have their own set of demonic figures and symbols. Now that may not be true anymore since the end of WWII when we forced their heads down and made them all enjoy a good ol' fashion American Ballpark Frank, but we have legends and fairy tales based around these symbols that they don't so while they may understand the meaning of the pentagram, it probably doesn't mean much more than a tool of witchcraft to them and a reason to put a chick with giant breasts into a skimpy outfit that is not a high school uniform.