PDA

View Full Version : Guantanamo Bay

AnAliasUnknown
04-14-2010, 12:14 AM
I know it was mentioned in some other threads, so I apologize if this is a dead horse.

What does everyone think of Guantanamo Bay? I know Obama has been trying to close it, but I can't say I've heard much else on the matter. Thoughts?

darkarcher
04-14-2010, 12:25 AM
I know it was mentioned in some other threads, so I apologize if this is a dead horse.

What does everyone think of Guantanamo Bay? I know Obama has been trying to close it, but I can't say I've heard much else on the matter. Thoughts?

He signed a bill closing it over a year ago. I am not sure if anything interesting has developed from it since them.

AnAliasUnknown
04-14-2010, 12:37 AM
He signed a bill closing it over a year ago. I am not sure if anything interesting has developed from it since them.

Well, pulling from this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7844176.stm

It seems they've taken care of most of them, but they still haven't accounted for all of them yet.

musigal
04-14-2010, 01:52 AM
personally? I think we should have kept it open. the people kept there are still prisoners, but now they are closer to the population of the country they wanted to harm. I think closing it does no good and does do damage. it's pretty much a publicity getter to say "We're closing Guantanamo" =/

Fat1Fared
04-14-2010, 04:39 AM
Muse, this one of things where governments say they are doing evil for greater, but the second you give up your cutlure core values to defeat terrorism is in truth the second terrorism wins

=Holding poeple without evidence or trail is wrong, nothing more to it
=Torturing is wrong, nothing more to it
=Subjecting poeple to cruel and unusal punishment, is wrong, nothing more to it
=Removing poeples sense of humanisation, is wrong, nothing more to it

-Even if the statistic that something like 20+% (cannot remember exact stat and be bothered to find it) of prisoners held there, are innocent, was wrong, the idea that you just remove their human rights because it suits you, defeats the reason we made the idea of human rights and makes us no better than those we fight, in many ways it make us worse (don't get me wrong, Britian has gone worse than America here and one of main reasons I wish to become a politian, is to simply remove all the terrorism acts, so I once again hold my head up proudly and say I sevre a system which has some intigenty and self-value, but until that day comes, I serve something weak and evil, which sold its very soul for a taste of power and a vial of fear)

gwtyler1985
04-14-2010, 06:25 AM
i agree with fared's statements about preserving the humanity of the prisoners, and i think that moving these prisoners to the continent would help to make sure that they are handled fairly. however, i am still not comfortable with moving these people closer to to the populace as musigal has stated. if they are to be moved to the continent, then it would be a good idea to make a facility that is out of the way enough to ensure that they are clearly removed from the rest of the population, but still accessible enough that it may be held accountable.

musigal
04-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Muse, this one of things where governments say they are doing evil for greater, but the second you give up your cutlure core values to defeat terrorism is in truth the second terrorism wins

=Holding poeple without evidence or trail is wrong, nothing more to it
=Torturing is wrong, nothing more to it
=Subjecting poeple to cruel and unusal punishment, is wrong, nothing more to it
=Removing poeples sense of humanisation, is wrong, nothing more to it

-Even if the statistic that something like 20+% (cannot remember exact stat and be bothered to find it) of prisoners held there, are innocent, was wrong, the idea that you just remove their human rights because it suits you, defeats the reason we made the idea of human rights and makes us no better than those we fight, in many ways it make us worse (don't get me wrong, Britian has gone worse than America here and one of main reasons I wish to become a politian, is to simply remove all the terrorism acts, so I once again hold my head up proudly and say I sevre a system which has some intigenty and self-value, but until that day comes, I serve something weak and evil, which sold its very soul for a taste of power and a vial of fear)

I never said I approved of torture, inhumane treatment, or holding people without a trial. I think that all of those things are vile and wish we did not do them. I NEVER said I want to take away their rights. I'm just saying that they're still going to continue being held anyway, so why are people so upset about the PLACE.

AnAliasUnknown
04-14-2010, 05:58 PM
I never said I approved of torture, inhumane treatment, or holding people without a trial. I think that all of those things are vile and wish we did not do them. I NEVER said I want to take away their rights. I'm just saying that they're still going to continue being held anyway, so why are people so upset about the PLACE.

I have to agree that the fate of the prisoners may not change much. I personally support the closing of Guantanamo mostly BECAUSE of the way they treat the prisoners, etc, but I wonder if it will be different moving the few prisoners remaining to some place in Illinois (at least, that was their plan for the people still under custody).