PDA

View Full Version : Good, Okay, and Downright Awful

AnAliasUnknown
04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
For something a little different...give us the title of a(n) anime/manga you thought was good, one that was okay, and one that was downright awful. Feel free to give reasons, but be sure to use the spoiler tag as necessary.

I'll start:

Good: Parasyte [Manga]

Okay: ...I thought I had something earlier, but I seem to have forgotten it :(

Downright awful: School Days [Anime] My overall impression of the series was "Hooray happy fluffy!" to "LOL SEX!" to "OMFG SHE'S GOT A KNIFE!!!!111" But that's just me.

Umbreon
04-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Good: Fullmetal alchemist (I could go on and on with good ones)

Okay: Nabari No Ou (manga. I haven't watched the anime)

Downright awful: 07 Ghost. (The manga. I don't even know if there's an anime. It had a good plot but it was so rushed and crowded that I couldn't even tell what was going on...)

glitchhunter
04-26-2010, 08:22 PM
Good: Bokurano. Unique and interesting.

Okay: Creamy Mami. Good to watch to pass time but not overly interesting.

Downright awful: Lucky Star. Arrghh I had a headache after watching this. Seriously... they just kept talking about dumb things.

AnAliasUnknown
04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
I enjoyed what I saw of Fullmetal Alchemist...the only other one I'm familiar with in the posts above is Lucky Star (which I haven't seen, but I really don't understand the hype...)

Anna-aurion
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Good: Fullmetal Alchemist

okay: Imadoki

downright awful: Ceres celestial legend

I have nothing against Watase Yuu, but Ceres was awful. Made no sense.

sajeev50
04-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Good: One Piece

Okay: History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Awful: School Rumble

glitchhunter
04-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Also good, Code Geass XD
What ya talking about, Ceres is awesome XD

Fenrir502
04-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Good: Gintama

Okay: Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden

Not my style of thing: Peace Maker Kurogane

Anna-aurion
04-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Also good, Code Geass XD
What ya talking about, Ceres is awesome XD

It's just my opnion.

roxasabridged
04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Hmm, I guess I'll look at my list...

Good: Digimon. Awesome characters, 'mons and story each season.

Okay: Koihime Musou. Basically ROTK/Dynasty Warriors. Except 99% of the cast is now female. And lotsa sexual innuendo.

Awful: Naruto. Do I really need to give a reason?

AnAliasUnknown
04-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Awful: Naruto. Do I really need to give a reason?

Nah, no worries :thatface:

DeanTheAdequate
04-29-2010, 03:28 AM
Good: Last Exile- From the steampunk setting to the intertwined and interesting character stories, this anime exceeded my expectations for seeing it so late in it's life.

Okay: Code Geass- Ending aside, this anime actually met my expectations. The mystery behind the powers was interesting, the buildup of Lalouche as a would be conqueror was well done, and even the BS high school hi-jinks shoveled in there (During the first season) didn't feel out of place. If it had a conclusive resolution after the first series, I'd even put it in the "Good" pile. (Never R2 though, never)

Bad: Lucky Star- Where do I begin. I've spoken at length about this series and how it's bad, but the real blow is how it's an anime that audiences from other countries or even walks of life other than an "Otaku" can't really gain anything from this anime. It's comedy, yet the humor is made for Japanese nerds. It's cutesy, but it's a type that's supposed to appeal to Japanese nerds. It's about daily life, of Japanese nerds. Of all the humor anime I've seen, this one seems intent to only catering to one segment of the audience. And it suffers for it in translation to other markets.

musigal
04-29-2010, 03:45 AM
good - Trigun - I cried when wolfwood died. I really enjoyed the way that the emotions of the people are portrayed. They aren't shallow, flimsy anything. Thought-provoking.

okay - Full Metal Alchemist - even though it was interesting, it never seemed satisfying. The end just seemed like it got tacked on without enough explanation and depth. and though I enjoyed the people, and they did show emotion in very strong ways, sometimes it just wasn't quite as believable as I could hope for.

downright awful - Vision of Escaflowne - holy crap this anime is bad. It was the first anime I ever saw, and as such I didn't judge it TOO harshly at the time, but geez. For absolutely no reason van and what'sherface don't end up together, but rather inhabit different worlds, forever attached via lame. seriously, what prevented her from staying there with him? NOTHING. also, the noses were constantly distracting, the villain was overly dramatic and shrill, and the whole flip-flopping thing on what'sherface's part about who she liked and the drama and the drama. and her very convenient kinda sometimes future thing. GAR! I could go on, but I won't.

AnAliasUnknown
04-29-2010, 05:23 PM
I liked what I saw of Trigun...which isn't much, but still <.<

And that's a second person to vote Lucky Star as an awful anime :thatface:

roxasabridged
04-29-2010, 05:34 PM
I third Lucky Star. The only thing I can praise is the great dub... which doesn't really save it.

Panikkay
04-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Good: Death Note

Okay: Naruto (It was my first anime >.>)

Downright Awful: Err... Lucky Star. So annoying >.<

Fat1Fared
04-30-2010, 01:30 PM
kay - Full Metal Alchemist - even though it was interesting, it never seemed satisfying.

=Though I do love this anime, I can agree with the point, that is one of those which was good, but never as good as felt it should been

downright awful - Vision of Escaflowne - holy crap this anime is bad. It was the first anime I ever saw, and as such I didn't judge it TOO harshly at the time, but geez. For absolutely no reason

=Arrrrrr, come on, you cannot hate Escaflowne, it was everything you expect a 90's anime to be, silly, over the top and completely out of touch with even its own reality lol PS with the ending, she cannot stay as her reason for being there is over, so she needs to go back her own world, I liked that, mainly as hate perfect endings

my tastes:

I loved Baccanco: Sure some of it is over the top and many of the characters need to learn when your dead, stay that way, plus the plot itself is not stunning, these very weaknesses end up being strengths somehow, because it takes an average plot with completely insane but therefore brilliant story writing, makes it something totally original and that never over stays it welcome, it one of few anime's were you like just about very character in it, even the ones should hate and so forgive their inabilities to die and finally it is so cool, the senses, the music, the dialog and way plot unfolds while not floorless, was best of its kind by miles for reason (well until they made Dulararara or whatever its called lol)

Ok=There are lot which put here, but think will put Gurren Lugoon, do not get me wrong, I liked this show, but the war everyone raved about it, I was simply expecting more, so diff victim of own success, but even with that plot is cool but could have been given so much more, if worked on developing, the characters are likable, but beyond the best one who they kill off nothing else and while funny, was not my thing

One I hated=Full Metal Panic=I was thinking about putting something easy like Bleach or Naruto, but that would be unfair as rather woeful, there just not my taste, however this is one that lost me, how can they show be so popular, unlike Naruto and Bleach which least have redeemable parts or just watched as comedies this was beyond woeful, it was just stupid, in a show about big killer robots, why does it feel like I am watching hollyoaks?

that1guy2
04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
I'll admit I haven't watched too much anime, (at least compared to the other people on this forum) but I'll make a list anyway...

Good:Death Note
Okay:Bleach (the first few seasons at least)
Downright awful:Yugioh! (the original obviously, not the abridged...)

killshot
04-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Good: Monster. My favorite anime. Great characters, brilliant story, and good pacing. Its pretty long, but its one of the only shows that is worth the buildup. This is storytelling at its best.

Okay: Utawarerumono. Its pretty good, but its what I would consider to be the standard for an average anime. Its starts off good. Its a typical story about a pretty good strategist who builds an army and defeats all his enemies. It gets a bit shaky towards the end where it basically turns from a Dynasty Warriors type story into a Godzilla film. Good, but could have been better.

Awful- Wolf's Rain. I hate this show. Its so god damn boring. It wouldn't have been so bad if it would stop looking like it was going to get interesting. I sat through 16 episodes before I finally realized it wasn't getting any better. This is one of the most disappointing shows Adult Swim ever aired.

AnAliasUnknown
04-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Good: Monster. My favorite anime. Great characters, brilliant story, and good pacing. Its pretty long, but its one of the only shows that is worth the buildup. This is storytelling at its best.

I'm actually reading the manga right now. I'll have to check out the anime once I finish

AsteriskRocks
05-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Good: Gintama. See it for yourself.
Okay: Rozen Maiden. It never really seemed to appeal to me as something incredible or bad and because of that I consider it average.
Awful: Lucky Star. Reasons stated above.

darkarcher
05-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Good: One Piece (manga)
Okay: One Piece (anime and Funimation dub)
Awful: One Piece (4kids dub)

kazukifafner
05-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Good: Mushishi (if you don't appreciate this show, you have no soul)
Okay: Naruto (it's decent, but nothing to write home about)
Awful: Kiss x Sis (two words: "the hell?")

beatlesgirl95
05-01-2010, 11:06 PM
go Fared for mentioning Baccano!!

Good- Baccano. I very much liked this show. The music was great. Wonderful jazz pieces that fit at all the appropriate times. The characters were interesting, and you were bound to get attached to one of them considering the wide variety of personalities they had. I also loved the idea of how there was so much going on at once, and at first you have absolutely no idea what is going on, but by the end it all makes perfect sense.

Okay- Negima! (the first series) When I had originally watched the series, I thought it was pretty decent, but after watching Negima?! I realized that the show could have been executed a little better. Granted, one is more close to the manga then the other and one was better funded then the other, when there is a situation such as the one in the show(s) there should be much more comedy relief, and the first series was lacking that. (It also didn't help that I watched it dubbed and was utterly annoyed by Greg Ayres voice)

Down right Awful- RomeoxJuliet. Now, I think I might be a little biased on this because I absolutely hate Romeo and Juliet the play. No matter what you do to Romeo and Juliet, you can't make me like it. I was not impressed by the over-the-top love in the play, but had high hopes for the anime because I'm an otaku and expect things like that. Another reason why I shouldn't really be saying this show is downright awful is because I didn't even finish watching it. Once I got up to episode 15, I believe, I wasn't impressed in the slightest. How they altered the play like that...it wasn't fair to call it RomexJuliet.
ANOTHER THING! Mercutio was my favorite character, and from what I saw of the anime there was a sheer lack of him. DESPICABLE!

HarleyThomas1002
05-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Good: Dinosaur King. Okay, I fucking love Dinosaur King.

Okay: Bakugan: New Vestroia. Could have better if it remained like the first season and didn't go all Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh.

Downright Awful: Thankfully I forgot the name, but it was some detective anime about three kids that were like 5, 6, and 7 who go to some private school in the middle of Tokyo that's essentially a large town complete with pharmacy and monorail. The characters had no flaws and no personality. It was like the lady who wrote Twilight made the characters for a 90's anime. I watched the first episode and hated myself and wanted to die.

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
05-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Good: FMA Brotherhood

Okay: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Downright awful: Lucky Star - I was physically Ill after completing the series.

beatlesgirl95
05-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Good: Dinosaur King. Okay, I fucking love Dinosaur King.

Okay: Bakugan: New Vestroia. Could have better if it remained like the first season and didn't go all Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh.

Downright Awful: Thankfully I forgot the name, but it was some detective anime about three kids that were like 5, 6, and 7 who go to some private school in the middle of Tokyo that's essentially a large town complete with pharmacy and monorail. The characters had no flaws and no personality. It was like the lady who wrote Twilight made the characters for a 90's anime. I watched the first episode and hated myself and wanted to die.

@BOLD- I think you are talking about Detective Academy Q...did they wear rather short shorts?

HarleyThomas1002
05-18-2010, 03:39 AM
Yes, that's it.

Goddamn, that first episode put me off the entire series, it was so damn bad.

ladykaiba419
05-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Good: Gintama (anime and manga) - I laughed so hard.. I think I just cried xD

Okaaayy: D. Gray Man (anime) - I was loving it... but then I didn't like some parts >,> especially episode 102

Downright awful: Duel Masters - My first reaction was like
"Omfg... Rip off show much?"
and I watched it a bit... and had this reaction
"Yup.. definitely a Rip off show..."

HarleyThomas1002
05-18-2010, 09:27 PM
I thought Dual Masters was hilarious.

Breaking the forth wall, acknowledging that it's a tv show, and Gatling Skyterror was so awesome.

ladykaiba419
05-18-2010, 09:32 PM
I thought Dual Masters was hilarious.

Breaking the forth wall, acknowledging that it's a tv show, and Gatling Skyterror was so awesome.

ooh I see xD I respect your opinion, I know that every one has their own taste when it comes to this :D

IMHO I didn't appreciate it much :smiley5:

0mnislash17
09-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Good: Shuffle!

Okay: Inuyasha

Awful: School days...