PDA

View Full Version : Fishy's Anime Reviews!

Fishmeistercod
08-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Being an avid otaku - I never leave the house =w= - I tend to watch a lot of anime. Because of this, I like to thing of myself as knowledgeable about anime. Thus, I write reviews. I've written quite a few, and I'll post them here. Feel free to add some comments about my reviews should you disagree with something that I said. :D So, without further ado...

FISHY'S AMAZING SUPER-FANTABULOUS ANIME REVIEW!

This time, I think we'll take a look at a more popular, yet under-appreciated anime, called "Ah! My Goddess!" This just so happens to be another anime that I preferred to watch dubbed rather than subbed, so for all of you "eager buyers" out there, be sure to get it in English!

The story starts simple. Our protagonist is... well, pretty much "Chaotic Good".

"PERSON! MUST... HELP... NAOW..."

Of course, this means he's dirt poor, a university student, and always taken advantage of.

One day, he accidentally dials the Goddess Help Line. They decided that he should be rewarded, and through the mirror comes the mega-hot goddess, Belldandy, who will grant our hero one wish. He wishes for her to be by her side forever.

Now, this means he has a goddess for a girlfriend. You know, goddess powers and everything. Yeah.

The series itself doesn't have an awful lot in plot until pretty much right at the end, but it made me laugh quite a bit, and of course there's fan service galore. In short, if you're looking for a romance-induced chuckle, then this is for you! Just watch the first episode, and you'll be hooked!

Pun very much intended.

TitanAura
08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
um..... wut?

EZE
08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
goddess powers and everything?

Fishmeistercod
08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Yes, my anime reviews are satirical, but they still cover the anime.
Just in a different way. :D

TitanAura
08-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, my anime reviews are satirical, but they still cover the anime.
Just in a different way. :D
Except you might want to make it a little more in-depth if you know what I mean. This is more like a passing comment than a full review.

Fishmeistercod
08-24-2010, 11:10 PM
The thing is, I don't want to go TOO deep, otherwise I might spoil something.
A spoiled anime is a ruined anime. D: So, I focus on the good bits that DON'T spoil anything. :D

TitanAura
08-25-2010, 06:04 PM
The thing is, I don't want to go TOO deep, otherwise I might spoil something.
A spoiled anime is a ruined anime. D: So, I focus on the good bits that DON'T spoil anything. :D
Let me give you some friendly advice. Google "at the movies" and start watching some of the older Siskel and Ebert reviews. Those are perfect examples of reviewing movies with slight reference to the plot without giving away any major spoilers (NOTE: Referencing a plot twist does not constitute spoiling it. Also note, Ah! My Goddess? spoilers? har har sarcastic laughter). Best of all, while these are bite sized reviews they still have a lot to say in such a small amount of time.

You might also want to study up on film history, including anime, to get a sense of where it rests within the medium (Tv Tropes is a powerful tool to gain information on a series but it is hardly an all knowing entity. Even something that blends together different genres can be broken down in tropes). Afterall, movies and TV shows have always been an excellent outlet to make a statement and if a series has something to say about culture, be it japan, america, or space, sociopolitical interactions, or even something as simple as ourselves (Evangelion does all three and at the very end goes on an acid trip and breaks down the logic of psycho analysis and our perception of reality and individuality like if Sigmund Freud was given a giant robot operated via his brain that subsequently turned him insane, which is interesting by itself but doesn't fit into a narrative very well resulting in the several failed attempts to retell the ending until Hideaki Anno finally snapped and went "fuck you all, everybody dies" like a pissed of GM in a strenuous game of D&D filled with 12 year olds.... since then he's mellowed out somewhat and is willing to start the game from scratch). Sorry where were we? Oh right. In case you were wondering, you MIGHT want to mention something like that in a review instead of pointing out what's on the surface since any Average Joe can tell that by themselves. The purpose of reading a review is to understand what makes a movie/show/book work (or alternatively not work) so that you can more fully understand the processes at work when you yourself begin to experience it or re-experience it after getting a second opinion. Then again, most people just watch them to reinforce their own opinions about their favorite shows and movies and when someone dares disagree with them, they unleash the unholy wrath of a flame war, or as it often becomes, a game of roshambo between two retards with balls made of titanium alloy.

Fishmeistercod
08-25-2010, 07:43 PM
While I do appreciate the input, FOR KAMI'S SAKE, USE THE ENTER BUTTON. Big blob of text hurts eyes. Paragraphs are good. =.=

Regardless, the case-in-point here is that nobody really cares about my anime reviews. :P

Thus, LOCK PLZ K THX.

TitanAura
08-25-2010, 09:56 PM
While I do appreciate the input, FOR KAMI'S SAKE, USE THE ENTER BUTTON. Big blob of text hurts eyes. Paragraphs are good. =.=

Regardless, the case-in-point here is that nobody really cares about my anime reviews. :P

Thus, LOCK PLZ K THX.
I hurt because I love like a mother whipping her children to keep them away from the cyanide under the sink. Good luck with your future endeavors.

PoisonXLilly
08-27-2010, 08:12 PM
I like the review .-.
Who cares about what Aura says? .-.