PDA

View Full Version : FLCL (Fooly Cooly)

HairSecuritySchool
05-23-2011, 07:22 AM
I just got around to watching another of Gainax's great little OVA series, FLCL. I have to say, despite the mindscrew and heavy symbolism, it has a great plot. It is a beautiful coming-of-age story jam-packed with high-octane action and plenty of mind-numbingly gorgeous art, none of which has aged in the decade in which it has been released. Its soundtrack, performed by The Pillows, is in my opinion, excellent in every way, shape and form.

But, enough blather. I want to know. Have you seen it, what is your opinion of it, and do you have a favorite episode, character, or song?

Fat1Fared
05-23-2011, 08:12 AM
seen it, loved it and owned it :)

PS though I think people sometimes overplay its symbolism; bit like neon genesis evangelion, lot of stuff in there is in their for sake of being cool rather being deep lol

killshot
05-23-2011, 08:59 AM
I've seen it several times. Its one of my favorite series. Something most people don't seem to get is that the symbolism isn't there for the sake of being deep, its just symbolism. If you set aside the symbolism, you are left with a charming story of a boy struggling with maturity. Its just a coming of age story.

Where the symbolism comes in is instead of outright saying what Naota is struggling with, they obscure it slightly with metaphors. Naota's distaste for anything sour or spicy is juxtaposed against his facade of maturity. He claims to be too mature for childish things, yet he is unwilling to try new experiences such as sour drinks or spicy curry. In the baseball episode, Naota's inability to swing the bat represents missed opportunities that pass him while he sits idly by. When he finally learns to swing the bat, he learns to take charge of his own life and not let others make decisions for him. This is also the first time Naota saves the town without the help of the robot. Even though Haruko jumps in to help him after he makes the decision to swing, the choice was still his.

There are many other uses of symbolism throughout the show, some more obvious than others, but I think those two examples really highlight the theme of the series. Its not supposed to be deep, just a light-hearted story about a boy who wants to grow up too fast.

Fat1Fared
05-23-2011, 09:24 AM
I've seen it several times. Its one of my favorite series. Something most people don't seem to get is that the symbolism isn't there for the sake of being deep, its just symbolism. If you set aside the symbolism, you are left with a charming story of a boy struggling with maturity. Its just a coming of age story.

Where the symbolism comes in is instead of outright saying what Naota is struggling with, they obscure it slightly with metaphors. Naota's distaste for anything sour or spicy is juxtaposed against his facade of maturity. He claims to be too mature for childish things, yet he is unwilling to try new experiences such as sour drinks or spicy curry. In the baseball episode, Naota's inability to swing the bat represents missed opportunities that pass him while he sits idly by. When he finally learns to swing the bat, he learns to take charge of his own life and not let others make decisions for him. This is also the first time Naota saves the town without the help of the robot. Even though Haruko jumps in to help him after he makes the decision to swing, the choice was still his.

There are many other uses of symbolism throughout the show, some more obvious than others, but I think those two examples really highlight the theme of the series. Its not supposed to be deep, just a light-hearted story about a boy who wants to grow up too fast.

why is it killshot, that you say what I want to say 100 million times better than me lol

angel of darknezz
06-09-2011, 01:38 PM
This seires is trippy. Total mind-fuckery, is what my friends call it.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii290/Domodeath666/trippy.gif

Jotenks
06-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Forget symbolism, it seems that every character in this show either looks, acts or has the same role as someone from NGE.

HairSecuritySchool
06-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Forget symbolism, it seems that every character in this show either looks, acts or has the same role as someone from NGE.

Well, one theory that I dug up claims you can look at FLCL as Neon Genesis Evangelion compressed into six episodes, with all the extremely depressing moments filtered out. Another is that it's a very bizarre coming-of-age/space opera story with robots.

ggctuk
06-13-2011, 03:13 PM
45 quid at HMV? I think I'll pass for the time being (and I've already seen it too)

killshot
12-28-2011, 12:42 PM
I watched this series again last night and I noticed something I haven't caught before. Has anyone noticed most of the enemy robots are hands? With the exception of the cat ears robot in episode three, all the enemy robots either feature hands prominently in their design or are hands themselves.

Enemy one is a disembodied hand that looked like it used to be attached to a bigger robot.

Enemy two is a giant robot that uses a retractable hand to attach with.

Enemy four is a huge satellite hand that throws a baseball bomb.

Enemy five is a western gunslinger robot that when knocked upside down reveals itself to be a hand. Enemy five also becomes the giant hand that picks up the iron in the last episode.

So why are all the enemies hands? This is a series that features a relationship with an older woman as one of the main themes. Have you ever noticed the enemies come through Naota's head whenever his relationships become stressed? The first one appeared when he was going to tell Mamimi about his brothers new girlfriend. The third one appears after a fight with Minamori. The fifth one appears after being rebuffed by Mamimi. The enemy robots (hands) appear when Naota's relationships are stressed and he fears losing them completely. After he defeats the enemy, the relationship is repaired. I think the hand robots are supposed to symbolize masturbation, something Naota wants to avoid by fixing his relationships with the women in his life. It makes sense considering the other sexual innuendo in the show.

I've occasionally browsed sites dedicated to the analysis of this show, but have never come across this theory. Part of me thinks I'm reading too much into the hand thing, but I felt so clever last night for thinking of it. Anyone else have any strange insights while watching this show?

Fat1Fared
12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
that makes sense, but i suppose I need to watch this again to really know what I think. :)

I always felt the hands were a way of showing conflict and power. Most physical acts by humans are done via their hands and so if going to give none physical problems/acts a physical form, makes sense for them to be a hand.

Though do see Haruko as villain or good guy?

PSS Killshot you have to watch tokyo godfathers :)

GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
12-29-2011, 12:15 AM
this series is a complete and total mindfuck with tons of confusion, and a dash of perversion mixed in.

LordZorc
12-29-2011, 10:20 AM
this series is a complete and total mindfuck with tons of confusion, and a dash of perversion mixed in.

Of course it is. That's every Gainax anime ever!

killshot
12-29-2011, 05:30 PM
that makes sense, but i suppose I need to watch this again to really know what I think. :)

I always felt the hands were a way of showing conflict and power. Most physical acts by humans are done via their hands and so if going to give none physical problems/acts a physical form, makes sense for them to be a hand.

Though do see Haruko as villain or good guy?

PSS Killshot you have to watch tokyo godfathers :)

Seen it. Its a great movie.

likalaruku
01-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Furi-Kuri is one of those animes I liked at first & then the last episode ruined the whole thing for me, just like Final Fantasy Unlimited. I hate Gainax Endings.

Marikkuriboh
04-25-2012, 09:28 PM
the best words that describe FLCL, what the frick did I just watch