PDA

View Full Version : Copyrights?

Soapbox
07-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure, but isn't the fact that LK is now profiting off a product based partially on the intellectual property of someone else violating some kind of copyright law? I may be wrong, it seems if that were the case, 8-bit theater and Red v Blue would also fall under the same category, and they seem to be doing fine. But if someone could explain WHY LK isn't going to be shot in the face for this, I would appreciate it.

ZorcAndPals
07-25-2007, 07:19 PM
LK is NOT profiting. The shirts are the same price it is to make them. He is acting like a middleman. He makes the shirts at printfection.com and sells them to us for the exact same amount of money that printfections does.

Soapbox
07-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Ooooohhh...Okay, that makes scene. Thank you.

...Why are 8-bit theater and red v blue allowed to profit, then?

Flame552
07-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Because 8-bit theater is above the law... or maybe Final Fantasy sprites are public domain... or maybe it's because he owns the jokes?
It should be possible to make money from "Screw the rules, I have money" if that's the only thing on the shirt cause that's LK's joke

Soapbox
07-25-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't know, because, despite it being his joke, it is in a parody, which could be considered the intellectual property of 4kids if used ot make money.

I think. I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Kayube
07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Also, because the shirts don't have any Yu-Gi-Oh characters on them, they aren't infringing on copyrights.

Ben
07-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Phrases like "screw the money, I have rules" and "super special awesome" aren't infringing on any copyrights. If we sold a shirt that had a character name on or a quote from the actual anime itself, that would be copyright infringement.

-edit-

Also, we could totally make a profit if we wanted to. But LK decided that he doesn't want to take money from people, he just wants people to get the t-shirts they've been asking for. Therefore no profit is made.

Fahji
07-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Aw, that the nicest thing ever.
I like LittleKuriboh even more now.
But what if I wanted to give my money away, but also wanted something to commemorate the event? What then, I say?

Swobyj
08-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Red vs Blue is AKA Microsoft by this point anyway XD

AuthorX
08-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh, so buying the shirts doesn't support LK? I was thinking that I'd buy one or two to support the site, but if there's no profit I'll just donate through paypal and (and maybe make some iron-on shirts).

I was thinking, if you had something that was recognizable to people that know the show, but not taken directly from the show. what I had in mind, actually, was a silhouette with the hairstyle highlighted or coloured in for some characters, (especially for Croquet's hair quotes) or the bandanna for Bandit Keith. Kind of like the iPod ads, but highlighting the hair/bandanna/jacket/whatever.
Surely there's no copyright on flag bandannas or spiked hair (well, okay, I wouldn't use Yugi's, but other than that).
I was going to do a version of this myself for iron-on shirts, or just a desktop by tracing from the show, but obviously if this were a copyright dodge you wouldn't want to do that.

Ben
08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Buying a t-shirt is just for the cool t-shirt. Using the PayPal donate button is to support LK and keep the site running.

Bartman
08-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Why would you say that?