Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series

Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series (http://ygotasforum.com/index.php)
-   Serious Discussions (http://ygotasforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sexism (oh yes i went there) (http://ygotasforum.com/showthread.php?t=4844)

maisetofan 05-09-2009 05:18 AM

Sexism (oh yes i went there)

it still shocks me the amount of sexism in the world today :squintyface:
in china and india the amount of terminations of baby girls continues to stay high and only now are china taking a step back and realizing that murdering all the females before they even have a chance to be born might not have been the smartest thing to do

this thread is not about whether one is pro life pro choice or pro whatever
after all abortion is a woman's right, then why is it that so many female fetuses are being terminated?

Are women still seen as objects of lust for men to get pleasure from looking at? touching and staring at?

is a womans place in the home and on her back so to speak?
will there ever be a female president in the united states or is it god forbid on that one?

new zealand has had two female prime ministers and as a country is very equal opportunity, but when you think about it, how much have we changed since women were given the right to vote?
i still cannot beleive it took until 1920 for president wilson to declare it legal in all states for women to vote when Women in new zealand were voting since 1893

40% of women still get paid less for doing the same job as a man and this is in the western world today:squintyface::squintyface:

i know alot of the male users will dispute and some may even think its good to be sexist but it is not.

I was the victim of sexual harassment and it was very much the "nuts and sluts" defense when i took it to the human rights association, i would either be conceived as a "slut" who asked to be objectified and asked to perform vile sexual acts while at work or i was "nuts" and making it all up and taking offense to easy, in fact i was known as the "nutty christian" for taking a stand against the harassment that me and three other female workers experienced. They simply giggled or walked away when being referred to as one of the managers "Hoes"

i know this is not the 1950's and in alot of ways women are doing just as much if not more than men in and for the world, and while i am not saying women should be above men in anyway i still think females are looked upon as sexual objects, more so than men.

DaJacksterN 05-09-2009 05:44 AM

I hate the word bitch used all the time. As if if you're not 100% happy 24/7 you're a rotten female...

DaJacksterN 05-09-2009 06:17 AM

I mean sometimes if I get angry at a guy (always for a reason though--like being a jackass) and yell at him or something I'm labelled as a bitch. I just hate that word so much. >__<

Aninamar 05-09-2009 06:42 AM

Feminism is dumb for one thing.

Because all the feminists I encounter scream about EQUALITY, and then throw hissy fits if you don't open the doors for them (well, unless they can't open them), don't give them sitting places in busses... in short, give them privileges. Which kind of contradicts with their goals.

Besides, sexist jokes are among the best ones.

However, using it for assaulting someone is definitely wrong.

EZE 05-09-2009 06:46 AM

I know some feminist that are very violent, two of them kicked me in the groin while I was just walking on the side walk. They went to jail that same night.

DaJacksterN 05-09-2009 06:47 AM

Feminism is the extreme end of the matter. Just like some of the Black groups that go out and attack white people in a bid for equality.

We need a happy median; women don't ask for more or less, and men recognize women as being of equal status to them.

Aninamar 05-09-2009 07:11 AM

Quote:

We need a happy median; women don't ask for more or less, and men recognize women as being of equal status to them.
*laugh reel*

HolyShadow 05-09-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisetofan (Post 612103)
it still shocks me the amount of sexism in the world today :squintyface:

Miss California?
Quote:

in china and india the amount of terminations of baby girls continues to stay high and only now are china taking a step back and realizing that murdering all the females before they even have a chance to be born might not have been the smartest thing to do
Asians are in a world of their own.

Quote:

this thread is not about whether one is pro life pro choice or pro whatever
after all abortion is a woman's right, then why is it that so many female fetuses are being terminated?
Abortion is the right of a couple. If a woman doesn't want a child and the man in the relationship wants the child, then she should really value his opinion and at least try to change his before deciding, "Hey, even though he helped make this, I'm gonna go get rid of it without his input!" You want equality? That's equality.

Quote:

Are women still seen as objects of lust for men to get pleasure from looking at? touching and staring at?
...Yes. Yes they are. Just like men are objects for women to look at, touch, and stare at.

Quote:

is a womans place in the home and on her back so to speak?
will there ever be a female president in the united states or is it god forbid on that one?
Yes and no. Some women prefer to let the man do all the work. Others like to be independent. Others still like to dominate men and force them to assume that position. We won't have a female president if America continues to vote Obamas in office, so hopefully the next president won't simply be voted in because of white liberal guilt.

Quote:

new zealand has had two female prime ministers and as a country is very equal opportunity, but when you think about it, how much have we changed since women were given the right to vote?
Quite a bit, actually. After all, I'm alive now and that's all that really matters. Yay me!

Quote:

i still cannot beleive it took until 1920 for president wilson to declare it legal in all states for women to vote when Women in new zealand were voting since 1893
Yeah...

Quote:

40% of women still get paid less for doing the same job as a man and this is in the western world today:squintyface::squintyface:
It all depends on experience and capability. If there's a man with huge muscles loading cargo as opposed to a girl who isn't quite as muscular, the man can do more work and therefore get paid more. The opposite is also true. Or maybe i'm just naiive?

Quote:

i know alot of the male users will dispute and some may even think its good to be sexist but it is not.
Disagreeing with you isn't the same as sexism.
Quote:

I was the victim of sexual harassment and it was very much the "nuts and sluts" defense when i took it to the human rights association, i would either be conceived as a "slut" who asked to be objectified and asked to perform vile sexual acts while at work or i was "nuts" and making it all up and taking offense to easy, in fact i was known as the "nutty christian" for taking a stand against the harassment that me and three other female workers experienced. They simply giggled or walked away when being referred to as one of the managers "Hoes"
Murder them, rape their families, and set fire to the building. Only fire can purge their sins. Of course, you may have made it up. I don't know you well enough to make a call on that one.

Quote:

i know this is not the 1950's and in alot of ways women are doing just as much if not more than men in and for the world, and while i am not saying women should be above men in anyway i still think females are looked upon as sexual objects, more so than men.
Oh, really? Are you saying that women don't have lust?

Lustful girl-- I mean Jackster. Disprove her by letting her know that you are a woman and have sexual urges just like everyone else. (Even if it is toward women...)

Honestly, women are beautiful. Can you really blame men for looking at women that way? If you still blame us, then maybe you should stop looking at men and look at women. You might understand our feelings.

Let me be clear. I don't support sexual harassment, but most of the time, women are also sexist to some extent, just like blacks are racist to some extent. When people wish for equality, they don't realize it, but they go too far sometimes and start wanting total dominance.

xellos88 05-09-2009 02:11 PM

Lots of feminist are just as bad sexist men(saying all men are pigs and stuff like that)

MrsSallyBakura 05-09-2009 05:20 PM

What if I don't like any of the answers in this poll?

I understand that America is already mostly equal (there's still issues about men getting paid more than women and individuals' attitudes) but sexism, as maisetofan pointed out, is definitely prominent all around the world, particularly in the Middle East.

As for China's reasons for abortion, as much as I hate abortion, they're not doing it to be purely sexist. Since they're only allowed one child (or two, can't remember the rule now) they want to have a child who will pass down the family name, and that child has to be a boy. So I wouldn't say that they were doing it to be purposefully sexist, but you're right in that it's a problem. I don't know India's reasoning behind aborting girls, though.

I would also call myself a feminist if it weren't for the fact that the word "feminist" has Hillary Clinton connotations, and wanting to be categorized with her would be idiotic, lol.

maisetofan 05-09-2009 06:48 PM

aninmar are you referring to us (women) as Them?
and holy shadow, what a sexist racist post
not that i expected anything nice from you

and sally, yes i would also say i was a feminist but the world sterotypes it as ball busting butch women with crew cuts attacking all men that get in their way and thats not the case

HolyShadow 05-09-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisetofan (Post 612727)
aninmar are you referring to us (women) as Them?
and holy shadow, what a sexist racist post
not that i expected anything nice from you

and sally, yes i would also say i was a feminist but the world sterotypes it as ball busting butch women with crew cuts attacking all men that get in their way and thats not the case

I'm not allowed to have my own opinion?

Acting like your own race is pure and perfect is, and I apologize for this, ignorant and wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyShadow (Post 612451)
Miss California?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFmqRE9sHw

Quote:

Asians are in a world of their own.
In Japan, the age of consent is 12, I think.

Quote:

Abortion is the right of a couple. If a woman doesn't want a child and the man in the relationship wants the child, then she should really value his opinion and at least try to change his before deciding, "Hey, even though he helped make this, I'm gonna go get rid of it without his input!" You want equality? That's equality.
I shouldn't have to explain this. It may be your body, but you should choose as a couple. My opinion would not change if I were female. If you're going to have an abortion without his consent, then break up with him.

Quote:

...Yes. Yes they are. Just like men are objects for women to look at, touch, and stare at.
If you don't get any urges at all toward men, then you are a lesbian.

Quote:

Yes and no. Some women prefer to let the man do all the work. Others like to be independent. Others still like to dominate men and force them to assume that position. We won't have a female president if America continues to vote Obamas in office, so hopefully the next president won't simply be voted in because of white liberal guilt.
Every woman has her own views and preferences. Grouping every single woman together is wrong. Obama only got in office because he's black. In the primaries, it was close. Really close. The only reason Obama beat Hillary is because of the overwhelming black majority that was on his side. No other president has caused that many blacks to up and vote. I'm not saying that blacks don't have the right to vote, but voting 92% of the time for Obama? Racism. All the way. Hillary would've won the canditacy and she might be in office right now if he were white.

Quote:

It all depends on experience and capability. If there's a man with huge muscles loading cargo as opposed to a girl who isn't quite as muscular, the man can do more work and therefore get paid more. The opposite is also true. Or maybe i'm just naiive?
If he can do the job better, he deserves to be paid more.

Quote:

Disagreeing with you isn't the same as sexism.
Murder them, rape their families, and set fire to the building. Only fire can purge their sins. Of course, you may have made it up. I don't know you well enough to make a call on that one.
If I told you that a girl made me touch her breast a few years ago, and I had a girlfriend, and it was completely against my will, you wouldn't believe me even though it happened.

Quote:

Oh, really? Are you saying that women don't have lust?

Lustful girl-- I mean Jackster. Disprove her by letting her know that you are a woman and have sexual urges just like everyone else. (Even if it is toward women...)

Honestly, women are beautiful. Can you really blame men for looking at women that way? If you still blame us, then maybe you should stop looking at men and look at women. You might understand our feelings.
I stand by this. Women are beautiful and deserve to be treated like roses. They are, after all, just as pure and innocent. Then again, all roses have thorns...

Quote:

Let me be clear. I don't support sexual harassment, but most of the time, women are also sexist to some extent, just like blacks are racist to some extent. When people wish for equality, they don't realize it, but they go too far sometimes and start wanting total dominance.
I've lived in South Florida, where the population is basically 90% blacks. I know a thing or two about black racism to whites. It's not pretty yet everyone accepts it.

Women are indeed sexist. After all, you just called me sexist simply because I'm a man who disagreed with you. If I were a woman who disagreed with you, you would just call me ignorant. That's sexism right thar.

HeartRyou 05-09-2009 07:46 PM

Citations, citations, citations. If you're going to throw statistics around you need to cite them.

HolyShadow 05-09-2009 08:04 PM

Japanese age of consent: http://www.ageofconsent.com/japan.htm

Black percent vote: http://voices.kansascity.com/node/2710

I went with 92% based on West Virginia primaries, but...

90% of South Florida black was an exaggeration. It's more like 40% hispanic, 40% black, and 20% white.

HeartRyou 05-09-2009 08:28 PM

That wasn't aimed at you Holy. ^^ But I'm glad you that you can and you did supply a source of information.

Quote:

40% of women still get paid less for doing the same job as a man and this is in the western world today
Vaguest statistic ever.

maisetofan 05-09-2009 09:07 PM

you would say that
whats with all the american males on this site?
the most sexist of them all

anyway how about reading and finding this information out for yourself, i did not get it from the internet, i watch documentaries and read various studies at university

and holyshadow, i am not against a man finding a woman attractive and even making sexual advances, but not in the work place when she is clearly not interested, and men get just as pissy when a girl comes onto them and they are not interested, its happened before so dont say all men like women to be fiery flirty sexual beings cuz quite a few that i have known are terrified by this prospect

men and women deserve equal rights in work and sex
end of rant

HolyShadow 05-09-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisetofan (Post 612846)
you would say that

Because I'm a man and disagree with you I'm sexist? How sexist a remark.

Quote:

anyway how about reading and finding this information out for yourself, i did not get it from the internet, i watch documentaries and read various studies at university
Universities are basically always biased one way.

Quote:

and holyshadow, i am not against a man finding a woman attractive and even making sexual advances, but not in the work place when she is clearly not interested, and men get just as pissy when a girl comes onto them and they are not interested, its happened before so dont say all men like women to be fiery flirty sexual beings cuz quite a few that i have known are terrified by this prospect
I never said that. I just said that all women are beautiful. What's wrong with that?

Quote:

men and women deserve equal rights in work and sex
end of rant
Yes, but you're calling us sexist for disagreeing with you, which isn't equal. Your statement is therefore hypocritical.

maisetofan 05-09-2009 09:13 PM

um but to disagree is to say that women are not equal to men and should stay at home and do all the hard work raising the kids, cooking, cleaning etc
and that is old fashioned chauvinism right there

you also said you found sexist jokes funny :V
how about racist ones? and are you meant to be christian?

Racism and sexism is not funny

HolyShadow 05-09-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisetofan (Post 612859)
um but to disagree is to say that women are not equal to men and should stay at home and do all the hard work raising the kids, cooking, cleaning etc
and that is old fashioned chauvinism right there

Read my argument instead of assuming things.

Quote:

you also said you found sexist jokes funny :V
how about racist ones? and are you meant to be christian?
Racist jokes aren't funny. Neither are sexist ones.

Quote:

Racism and sexism is not funny
Duh.

maisetofan 05-09-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Excuse me? it was very much real
and i have read your arguments and they are insanely biased as are mine i know but its alot harder for a woman to speak her mind than a man

its like christina A's song
"when a female fires back, suddenly big talker don't know how to act"

and
"if you look back in history its a common double standard of society"

HeartRyou 05-09-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

you would say that

That's an awfully offensive thing of you to say on a number of levels.

Quote:

Good for you. Except that I'm sure that if you handed in a paper at the university without any citations, "i watch documentaries" wouldn't keep you from failing. And I doubt you actually remembered a specific statistic like that from a documentary you watched a year ago.

maisetofan 05-09-2009 09:39 PM

i actually have a very good memory and i did not watch a documentary one year ago

lol i also suggest watching boston legal, heaps of information a feild of it actually and bfore you all laugh your heads of and say "theres no way an american dramedy could possibly portray facts" the producer David E kelley actually studied the statistics of the findings that come out on the show.

anyway i may ask for this thread to be closed, as its causing too much animosity and there are only four of us posting, holyshadow, jackster, heartryou and me

HeartRyou 05-09-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisetofan (Post 612903)
anyway i may ask for this thread to be closed, as its causing too much animosity and there are only four of us posting, holyshadow, jackster, heartryou and me

Why? Because I asked you to cite a source for your statistics? You can't open up a thread on a topic and close it once things aren't going your way.

And Boston Legal is not a credible source of legal information, you should scrutinize data yourself rather than accept something as fact just because someone else said it (a TV show nonetheless).

maisetofan 05-09-2009 09:51 PM

its a very credible source, if you watched the seasons you would know that :)
but fine i shall find some citations for you

Women in the U.S. spend more than $3.3 trillion annually (purchasing power)
Women business owners employ 35% more people than all the Fortune 500 companies combined (how many of your clients are women-owned?)
95% of family financial decisions are made by women (who balances the checkbook in your family?)
Women in business will invest $44.5 billion in high tech products this year
65% of women in senior management positions have children (they kept their job and are raising a family)

women also make up for the majority of graduates in top ranking positions
Engineering 15%
Business 30%
Law 44%
Medicine 45%

women are also more likely to use their money and entrepreneurial skills to participate in volunteer work as men

http://stopharass.com/article-women-marketplace.htm

i dislike when people say women are not as smart as men cuz nowadays the opposite is becoming more and more true

and is sexism still rife?
http://ezinearticles.com/?Sexism,-St...rld&id=1097510

HeartRyou 05-09-2009 09:59 PM

Now was that so difficult? :) Not that I actually see any mention of the original "women make 40% less than men" statistic you mentioned earlier, but at least now we're getting somewhere.

MrsSallyBakura 05-09-2009 10:01 PM

As for siting sources, the jobs point is vague, that's true, but I'm going to speak from my own experience with women and jobs. I work in a departmental office at my university. The women whom I work with are secretaries. Secretaries used to be side-jobs for women who were looking for something to do when the kids were at school. Today, secretaries have their jobs to try and make a living. Both the senior secretary and the departmental secretary are divorced women trying to make a living, yet they're still not getting paid nearly enough to cover what they need financially. It could just be the university being stupid with their money, which would make sense because they just hired 10 different football coaches for our crappy no-name team and the male head coach is even getting paid more than the female president of the university.

As for what I said about China, I learned that in a World Regions class I took last year. In mentioning that, you can properly cite that source in a paper. :)

Also, citing things is a rule on this board, I believe.

...or at least it was, or should be. =P

maisetofan 05-09-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

I work in a departmental office at my university. The women whom I work with are secretaries. Secretaries used to be side-jobs for women who were looking for something to do when the kids were at school. Today, secretaries have their jobs to try and make a living. Both the senior secretary and the departmental secretary are divorced women trying to make a living, yet they're still not getting paid nearly enough to cover what they need financially. It could just be the university being stupid with their money, which would make sense because they just hired 10 different football coaches for our crappy no-name team and the male head coach is even getting paid more than the female president of the university.
this is what i am meaning, i may not have the actual stastics but what sally has written says it all, its very common for women to be paid less than men in certain feilds and women still tend to be looked upon as "Secretarys or PA's"

HeartRyou 05-09-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisetofan (Post 612952)
this is what i am meaning, i may not have the actual stastics but what sally has written says it all, its very common for women to be paid less than men in certain feilds and women still tend to be looked upon as "Secretarys or PA's"

Then say what you mean. :) Anecdotal evidence is fine, just don't come up with your own misleading statistics.
And no one is disagreeing about women being paid less, it's a fact of life.

HolyShadow 05-09-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maisetofan (Post 612926)
95% of family financial decisions are made by women (who balances the checkbook in your family?)

My father handles all financial obligations. >:V

I can see it now. You're going to blame him for what you believe to be my sexism. Don't even go there.

Quote:

i dislike when people say women are not as smart as men cuz nowadays the opposite is becoming more and more true
Not this again. You can't really judge whether women or men are smarter because, despite average statistics, there will always be one man smarter than one woman and there will always be one woman smarter than that, and there will always be one man smarter than that. It'll end with the smartest human in the world, and by that time, it'll be so miniscule a victory that no one will care.

Aerodynamic 05-09-2009 10:54 PM

Feminism is sexist and is one of the major causes to high divorce rates and lower childbirth rates.