Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series

Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series (http://ygotasforum.com/index.php)
-   Serious Discussions (http://ygotasforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why "O.M.G."? (http://ygotasforum.com/showthread.php?t=8475)

ShizukaMikudou 06-21-2013 07:36 PM

Why "O.M.G."?

Not talking about God's existence, nonexistence, or other religions such as Atheism and Buddhism's credibility, but a simple topic. I'm here to ask your opinions about something I was thinking about as I watched Episode 59 of YGOTAS.

Why do people say the phrase, "Oh my God!" and what does it mean when they say it?

You see, Christians refrain from saying it because of the 4th commandment in the Bible in Exodus in the Ten Commandments, saying that we should not use God's name in vain.

Yet Atheists really don't make any sense in saying it either because they don't believe in God. xD

Aaand yet Atheists say it all the time. What are your thoughts on this? ;D

Ebilkittyprincess28 06-21-2013 07:51 PM

To me it's just an expression. I'm a Christian and I say it sometimes and don't think much of it. I mean you could probably substitute the word "God" with the deity of any religion and it would still mean the same thing. It's probably meant to be with a lowercase 'g' though.

AbigeruAlek 06-21-2013 07:51 PM

I'm spiritual, and I say Oh My God... I seriously have no Idea. I've thought about it before and It still doesn't make sense XD But saying "Oh my Spirits" Would sound kinda weird wouldn't it... maybe cause it's just you're way of reacting to something surprising..

Zairak 06-21-2013 09:05 PM

Speaking for the general population, this is a simple cultural phenomenon. Just as 'dude' and 'gay' and other such words come to be used in different ways than originally intended, so too do phrases such as 'Oh my God'. I feel it's safe to say that the phrase as it is used on the internet is generally one of surprise, whether sarcastic or as an honest expression.

On a heavily related note, it is important that 'Oh my God' is so easily shortened to text speak. This has facilitated its spread through various chat clients until the present day, when it is now a stock phrase for, again, surprise, whether sarcastic or literal. It may be that it lacks religious significance to most people for this very reason. It's very simple for acronyms themselves to be disassociated from their original meanings, and when phrases are used several times a day, as happens now with 'omg', the word or phrase becomes much more casual. It simply can't help but do so by its repetition. It loses power and its original relevance.

That being said, it likely has a fairly wide range of variance in definition for individual people, and outside the general meaning I mentioned earlier, 'surprise', it's pointless to try to categorize a certain group of people's use of the word. It's become far too casual of a phrase to be anything but highly individualized and, therefore, not specifically definable.

I might add that this is similar to some people's treatment of the word 'religion', but I don't care to delve into that specific topic outside this snippet.

Mistyskye 06-22-2013 01:52 PM

Here are my opinions: The phrase is said when something weird or amazing happens, so the person speaking is say "Oh my god" as a way saying " God, you've done something strange or amazing etc....". Of course it is used by each person differently but all in all I see it that way. Also, I honestly don't think it is using god's name in vain. And since you're saying "oh my god" it isn't very religion specific either.

ShizukaMikudou 06-22-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistyskye (Post 1655433)
Here are my opinions: The phrase is said when something weird or amazing happens, so the person speaking is say "Oh my god" as a way saying " God, you've done something strange or amazing etc....". Of course it is used by each person differently but all in all I see it that way. Also, I honestly don't think it is using god's name in vain. And since you're saying "oh my god" it isn't very religion specific either.

I agree. :) And even though I prefer not to say it because most other Christians frown on it, I actually disagree also that it is really using God's name in vain. On the contrary, I think it actually praises God. Like when you turn a corner and see a great big rainbow, you say, "Oh my God! You never fail to amaze me!" It turns your awe into praise for God ;D

And I understand what everyone else is saying about how words and phrases lose their original meaning. xD That sure does tend to happen a lot. I usually just say "O.M.G", and when saying it aloud, I actually say the letters, O, M, and G. When I say it like that, it doesn't really have any specific meaning other than Wow! or Woah!

Remember when in the video about Seto Kaiba's real father, the conclusion, he says "My God..." and then the delusional robot tells him "There is no God!"
Maybe that was when Seto Kaiba decided to start saying "Oh my money!" instead xD

Mistyskye 06-22-2013 04:39 PM

^ Yeah I agree, you make good points. I also think that may be when Seto starts saying "oh my money". :P

musigal 06-22-2013 05:17 PM

I actually thought that Kaiba's statement that he worships money was very revealing and honest. There are a lot of people who don't claim to have a religion but worship different things (like winning, or money, or respect or all kinds of other things).

ITR 06-23-2013 06:46 AM

When I say god I usually mean Cat. But mostly I just say OMC instead.

ShizukaMikudou 06-24-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigal (Post 1655551)
I actually thought that Kaiba's statement that he worships money was very revealing and honest. There are a lot of people who don't claim to have a religion but worship different things (like winning, or money, or respect or all kinds of other things).

Very very true! :3 In my Christian schools, they're always warning us about not just sinning by worshipping statues like in the Old Testament, but about worshipping material things like money, popularity, ourselves, ect.

killshot 06-24-2013 02:56 PM

How can you worship material things? The word worship implies a religious connotation. Unless someone thinks money has divine powers, no one is worshiping it.

ShizukaMikudou 06-26-2013 06:27 PM

I guess it's just a figure of speech. Like, Kaiba is obsessed with money so much that he worships it as, among Blue Eyes, one of the few things he actually cares about in life.

Like < Love < Adore < Obsess < Worship

And some people might even say that some "otaku"'s/"weeaboo"'s obsess over anime/manga so much that they worship it.

Fat1Fared 07-03-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

You see, Christians refrain from saying it because of the 4th commandment in the Bible in Exodus in the Ten Commandments, saying that we should not use God's name in vain.
You do realise that is not what the 4th commandment actually means, do you not? The 4th commandment refers solely to using God's name for your own (generally negative) purposes, such as swearing an Oath in the name of God to make it sound sincere, when you in actual truth have no intention of upholding the Oath.

Using God's name as a profanity, no more breaks the 4th commandment than using your dog's name as a profanity.

As for its meaning, it means exactly the same thing as when the Chinese say tian-na (directly translated: oh my heavens), you are using a word which was traditionally emotionally charged to show the shock, surprise or extremeness of a situation. Originally, you probably did this in situations such as soldiers screaming to god before they got their heads blown off by mortar fire, but as time went by - as with all phrases - the meaning got diluted and became usable in less and less extreme situations as the word God became less important and peoples' lives/perspectives changed.

ShizukaMikudou 07-05-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat1Fared (Post 1656659)
You do realise that is not what the 4th commandment actually means, do you not? The 4th commandment refers solely to using God's name for your own (generally negative) purposes, such as swearing an Oath in the name of God to make it sound sincere, when you in actual truth have no intention of upholding the Oath.

Using God's name as a profanity, no more breaks the 4th commandment than using your dog's name as a profanity.

As for its meaning, it means exactly the same thing as when the Chinese say tian-na (directly translated: oh my heavens), you are using a word which was traditionally emotionally charged to show the shock, surprise or extremeness of a situation. Originally, you probably did this in situations such as soldiers screaming to god before they got their heads blown off by mortar fire, but as time went by - as with all phrases - the meaning got diluted and became usable in less and less extreme situations as the word God became less important and peoples' lives/perspectives changed.

Yes. That's why I don't think the phrase, "Oh my __d," is actually taking God's name in vain :3

musigal 07-05-2013 08:14 PM

I agree with Shizuka and Fared. [ However, to be a tad off-topic, I do believe that using any form of "negative" language is not something that a follower of Christ should do, because we are to be in the world but not of the world: meaning that we should try to emulate Christ as much as we can rather than adopting the traditions (especially negative ones) of the world around us. ]

ShizukaMikudou 07-06-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigal (Post 1656910)
I agree with Shizuka and Fared. [ However, to be a tad off-topic, I do believe that using any form of "negative" language is not something that a follower of Christ should do, because we are to be in the world but not of the world: meaning that we should try to emulate Christ as much as we can rather than adopting the traditions (especially negative ones) of the world around us. ]

I definitely agree very much with your spoiler-tagged comment! :D

Claudi 07-23-2015 08:32 AM

It's just a phrase. No deep meaning no matter how hard you want to put one inside...

Zairak 03-07-2023 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudi (Post 1688403)
It's just a phrase. No deep meaning no matter how hard you want to put one inside...

That's what she said.

RebornZombie 01-31-2024 07:57 PM

Dagoth Ur be praised.