View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post
The most memorable thing about high school at least was the insane security. Cameras everywhere, police patrolling the halls and lunch rooms, and severe punishments for anyone who stepped out of line. It was not the nicest atmosphere. My experience with teachers has generally been positive, although I've had a couple who were rather toxic people.

From what I hear about public education in the news, it seems that everything is going to hell. Classes are being dumbed down so that everyone passes, and people are becoming increasingly sensitive to anything that can be construed as violent behavior.
Is security really that bad? Our school had just installed some new cameras a year or two before I graduated, but that was it. How long has it been since you were in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenebrousLegionnaire View Post
My experience with public school is decidedly sub par. I do not like the direction it is going because all the good classes get killed by budget cuts, security is mean, and there are stupid rules that say I don't get to wear my cute flip flops because they're dangerous or something. I bet if I went to a private school they'd let me wear my flip flops all the time. :(
I teach a lab course at the University I attend and the no sandal rule is for your safety. Sandals offer no protection against spilled chemicals or broken glass, so they are not allowed in the laboratory. If you don't have a science class with a lab component, then I don't know why you wouldn't be able to wear them, though.