View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
I went to a Christian school; it was full of hateful, angry, drug-taking bullies, along with many generally undesirable people, so I think religion has little to do with it.
It depends on the people who run the school and the people who work there and the kinds of parents that the students have, as well as what the students can get away with. The Christian school that I went to from the time I was 8 until I was 14 was a good environment. My high school, though, was very much like a public high school, except that people didn't steal tour backpack if you left it in the hallway, and the school itself tended towards encouraging people to be better people and better Catholics - but there was definitely still lots of drinking, sex, wild parties, etc etc. My Catholic high school had mostly decent people, but I can't credit that to the fact that it's because the majority of them are Catholic. The parents tend to care more about their school experience because the city that the school is located in has those types of parents everywhere. The public schools in that area are much much much better than, say, Detroit Public Schools. Not even going to get into that.

I do know of Christian schools full of nasty people and situations, and not just a half good half bad situation.

The point I think is that Shizuoka goes to a school where the teachers care about students' well-being, as do the parents. Any school that has that kind of environment, Christian or not, at least has the potential of being a great school. There are public schools like that - but there are also public schools that don't give a shit. And there are Christian schools that don't give a shit, as well.