View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011

Blurb: Eternally balancing well mannered and insane natures
Send a message via MSN to ggbhtg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidsDR View Post
You're missing two Gurren Lagann references. There are three of them. The first is in the meeting room, when Naruto is pounding his fist on the table and shouting "Row! Row! Fight the power!" Then there's the scene where he's thinking back to Iruka, except Iruka is Kamina saying "Don't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you who believes in me who believes in the One Piece!". And then in the final fight scene, the song playing is "Libera Me from Hell", which was also the final fight song from episodes 26 and 27 of Gurren Lagann.

So yeah, is it too much to say that LittleKuriboh has been watching a lot of Gurren Lagann lately? I mean, even for LK, 3 references to a series in a single abridged episode, even if it is an abridged movie, is a bit much. Although he did the same thing in YGOTAS episode 10 with Evangelion, and Gurren Lagann is the REAL Evangelion 2.0, so it's acceptable.
You don't exactly HAVE to watch those animes (in any capacity, really) to know/make those references since they're so popular (although he has watched Eva before) and everyone's always talking about them. He's mentioned before that despite being an abridger, he hasn't/doesn't watch much anime. Checking from his commentary on that movie, he hasn't actually watched it. Not sure how 3 is too many, when they were all well-placed (and those last 2 go hand in hand).

However, I do know about Gurren Lagann (not that you really need to watch firsthand to know about Fight The Powah, Libera Me, Kamina, etc.), so I'll add it to the master list when I get to it.

Last edited by ggbhtg; 04-26-2011 at 05:45 AM.