View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012

Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardigny View Post
I'm an atheist. I don't have a religion. I also find there to be a difference in how I define religion and philosophy: Philosophies are supported by rational reasoning; religions are supported on faith in whatever beliefs comprise it.
This has an assumption that an individual's faith in their religion is entirely lacking in reason, truth, and wisdom. This isn't always the case, which is why I referred to people who both accept and question their own religion.

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

This is an example of someone who questions religion with their own rational reasoning. Reason therefore has a place in faith, and therefore blurs the line between philosophy and religion.

TheOcean: If you're not going to contribute, don't troll. We get enough of that from Rebbie.