View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardigny View Post
I'm an atheist. I don't have a religion. I also find there to be a difference in how I define religion and philosophy: Philosophies are supported by rational reasoning; religions are supported on faith in whatever beliefs comprise it.

As for the atheist movement - yes, there is one, but just how other minority movements are, such as the gay rights movement: it's an attempt to publicize their existence and advocate social acceptance.
1=I would say philosophy is studying the world and trying to understand the balance between truth and perfection. This is how it differs from science; philosophy actually wishes to make ideals for how to live a better life, which in some peoples' opinions is closer to a religion; however it does this from an earthly standpoint! It is looking at how man and society can improve, not what some unproven god may or may not have said. In that point exists a line, maybe some say a vague line, but a line.
Science is Science
Philosophy is Philosophy
Religion is Religion
=They all may have traits or ideals which are similar or work in the same vain, but they are still clearly distinct and different ideologies.

2=Hmmm, to me there is not an atheism movement because atheism is the lack of something. It is a paradox to claim movement in nothingness. However, there are clearly atheists who have taken their lack of beliefs to the take level and made it an action form of believing in non-belief; it is just that the English language has yet to form a word for this evolution in ideology...neo-atheists? Though I do agree this movement is more of a pressure group than an academic or religious order. Religion is about finding a way to live a life closer to your spiritual self...etc, this group is about social reform and activism.

PS Ocean, I think Holy has matured and does just want a fun academic...y debate. ^^