View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShadow View Post
This has an assumption that an individual's faith in their religion is entirely lacking in reason, truth, and wisdom. This isn't always the case, which is why I referred to people who both accept and question their own religion.
Could you give an example of when it would be logical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShadow View Post

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

This is an example of someone who questions religion with their own rational reasoning. Reason therefore has a place in faith, and therefore blurs the line between philosophy and religion.
Questioning religion does indeed involve rational reasoning; believing the teachings of the religion does not. I don't see how you got 'reason therefore has a place in faith' from that particular quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
2=Hmmm, to me there is not an atheism movement because atheism is the lack of something. It is a paradox to claim movement in nothingness. However, there are clearly atheists who have taken their lack of beliefs to the take level and made it an action form of believing in non-belief; it is just that the English language has yet to form a word for this evolution in ideology...neo-atheists? Though I do agree this movement is more of a pressure group than an academic or religious order. Religion is about finding a way to live a life closer to your spiritual self...etc, this group is about social reform and activism.
The atheism movement does not encourage people to believe in non-belief, or whatever, because you wouldn't join it unless you already were an atheist (supposedly.) Just because atheism is a 'lack of something' doesn't mean there's not a movement. It is indeed has more of a public message behind it that encourages people to at least accept that some people are atheists, and should not be seen as immoral or in need of conversion; besides that, other ideals include maintaining a freedom of church and state (Jefferson) and stopping religious forces from committing horrid crimes, hate speech, and intolerance. The one thing I've honestly seen the people at atheist conventions really bash on is ignorance.

I doubt either side is going to convince the other... but the idea that atheism is a religion really baffles me.