View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012

Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardigny View Post
Could you link me? Some atheists are horrible people, yes, and things like that don't make much sense. But it's because they're bad people. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to remove a religious figure, but then again, if it's on government-controlled public land it could be seen as government support of religion which I highly dislike.
Regardless of whether it shows support for a particular religion isn't important. It's more important whether they prevent other religions from exercising. I'd think a better world would be one wherein everyone can practice as they wish, rather than nobody practicing at all. In terms of extremes, the former is definitely better.

I'll find a link for you eventually but digging around for that stuff will take a while.

Quote:
What science on the whole continues to provide as a knowledge base to me is far more credible than any belief system invoking something supernatural. I agree in that those who like science should be willing to accept new evidence for new scientific discoveries with grace.
Can science tell you what an ethical choice is for someone? That's what philosophy is for. Science can only tell you what is right in the realm of the sciences. If a person draws their philosophy from religion, then that's just how their experience manifests itself.

To be fair, philosophy used to be a form of pseudo-psychological science iirc, but that's since been replaced by psychology.

Quote:
I don't know how many atheists I know would think that it's a philosophy, because in your everyday life it's not something you think about that often. But it's most certainly not a religion, being just a lack thereof.
As long as they think it's true, and value truth as wisdom, it's a philosophy.