View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013

Blurb: LONG LIVE THE PHARAOH~!

In all plain reality, an atheist saying that atheism is not a religion is exactly like saying, "I'm an atheist, but I don't believe in atheism."

I think the definition that we aren't reading right is the definition of religion. It seems that religion is being treated like a cult or a ritual. Even the given definition in a few dictionaries, such as "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods." is not nearly the same definition of religion being used here. Everyone has a religion, and everyone has a worldview. The definition of religion that I am using here is practically the same as the definition of a worldview, which is "A particular philosophy of life or conception of the world."

Besides, even if you were to accept the former definition as the definition of a religion, it would still apply. If you are your own god, then you believe in atheism, the belief that there is no other being greater than yourself.

I don't feel the need to repeat myself either, since what has been said has been said. But for one, breathing isn't a thing or even a person. It's an action. It is an important action, because we need to breathe in order to live, because our own lives are instinctively important to us. An atheist believes that his or her own instincts are just, and that his or her life is important, and that himself or herself is his or her own god.

Though the concept is very deep, that is simply what I believe and have been taught in my Apologetics class. I'm not trying to force any facts or truths on anyone, only offering a different perspective and possibility. c:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zairak View Post
"Atheism", then, is the lack of a belief that at least one deity exists.
So Atheism is the worldview and belief that the world lacks a "deity", making it another set or system of beliefs, another worldview, and another religion among others.