Thread: On SOPA
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012
Administrator

Default On SOPA

I’ve been told that I’m not doing enough for the whole Anti-SOPA effort, and I guess I should at the very least address my feelings here if nowhere else.

Don’t get me wrong, I think SOPA is terrible and should never be passed. I think these idiots trying to pass the bill are the last people who should have any say as to what goes on with the internet and its content, people who likely struggle to use their own email accounts let alone navigate a site like DeviantArt. I think censorship on the whole is wrong, and an artist has the right to express themselves however they wish.

Having said that, I am not afraid of SOPA.

Some people have noticed this and have misjudged my attitude as being something akin to apathy. But that’s not what it is. It’s not that I’m not worried that SOPA will pass. It may. But I’m not afraid what it suggests for me. I’m very afraid of what it means for other people, but me personally? Not so much.

There’s always been the looming threat of questionable legality regarding my internet work. The whole parody thing is a very grey area. Yet honestly, if someone came to my place of residence and told me “You are going to be sentenced to jail because you made fun of an anime series”, I would gladly take that punishment if need be. I don’t feel it would be all that justified, but if anyone had to take the sentence, I suppose I’d be amongst the first convicted.

The truth is, even if SOPA passes, it won’t change what I believe. I believe that the bill they’re trying to pass is wrong, inherently wrong. And as such, I would fight against it by simply continuing to work. If they passed a bill saying it was wrong to marry people from a different country, it would not prevent me from trying to marry the woman I love. Being separated by an ocean is about the same as being separated by prison walls.

It was once considered a crime punishable by death to argue that the world was anything but flat. That didn’t stop people who truly believed otherwise from saying just that. And so they died believing the truth.

I don’t think I can do much beyond continue to work on these silly parody videos. Unfortunately, most attempts I have made to present serious issues to my fans have been met with sarcasm or complaints that I’m not making new episodes. Some do listen, but I often wonder if I’m doing much good.

All I can do is continue doing what I believe in.

The world is round, people.