View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
I didn't say humans are unnatural per say, I'm saying our actions can single-handedly disrupt a fragile system and we should take care to avoid such actions. I would say that it is "natural" for the world to continue with or without humans, so we must make the conscious decision to act in the planets best interest.

By the way, by your definition, the existence of said deity would make it part of the natural world and would therefor not be unnatural.

Also, a special breed of spider just sounds ridiculous. What are you proposing, some sort of man-spider?
I feel that you are trying to say that we must act in our own best interest, not the planet's. If anything, given your claim that we can disrupt so much, it would seem to be better for the planet that we eventually trip up and extinct ourselves. Nature would recover eventually, even if not on this planet.

Oh, no, you misunderstand the concept of a deity. Think of it as our universe being a box, self-contained, and the deity being somebody outside the box. Inside the box, the universe continues as it would. But the deity, an external force, can reach in and change things on a whim. This would be against the natural flow of things in a self-contained environment. Further, anything that has the ability to alter everything in existence on a whim has to be considered 'not of nature', or unnatural.

Are you claiming that we shouldn't embrace human experimentation if it would better our society? Who is to say that man-spider intermixing would not better us in the long run? Spiders have many useful characteristics. Like doing whatever it is they do.