View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bowie View Post
Well, I consider Linux to be non-noob friendly because, if you to install something outside of the software centre usually it's a lot harder to do compared to a Windows install (in the case that there isn't a .rpm file).

It also seems like less works right away. I had a lot more trouble getting dual monitors working on Linux whereas in Windows 7 it recognized them right away. I also had issues getting sound to work at first. It just seems to me, (and maybe I encountered more problems then most) that Linux is a little harder to get up and running, and would frustrate a user that was less computer savvy than I am.
I think it depends on the user perspective. General users want OOB. It doesn't matter what it is. Ever see them freak their .... when a BSOD drops? Meh. Went through enough Help Desk Hell years ago on those. Even Windows can be a pain to deal with on installs of certain software. Try installing ClearCase (shudder) and tell me if you have a good time with it. Seriously, the *nix versions are way easier for me to install and use at work.

My kid uses Debian for his laptop right now. And he's an early elementary student. He has no problems with it at all and can even do command-line tasks. It does exactly what he wants. You can't get noobier than little kids and computers. If he can install and function in a Linux environment, it's not that difficult. He actually has tried to get the teacher at school to put Linux on the machines.

It just comes down to personal frustration level and limit, I personally think. In terms of some of the problems you've described, it also depends on the availability of the hardware 'drivers'. Some are forcibly reversed engineered to get working Linux ones thanks to a closed off world. The ones that have native Linux ones have rarely given me a major issue.