View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

Default Research on Abridged genre

Hello, everyone!

This is my first time posting, but I'd like to ask for some serious input from the members here.

I, for one, am a huge fan of abridged series. Therefore, I was thrilled when my professor said that she would allow me to study the "Abridged Genre" for a small school paper (great project, huh?).

Naturally, there is probably going to be absolutely no academic research on the subject yet, but I wanted to gauge the thoughts and feelings of those who partake in and enjoy the genre. If you all could answer a short survey seriously, I would appreciate it.

They don't have to be long answers. One or two sentences is fine. You also don't have to be an expert or anything. For this part of the project, any input is valued. (I might be posting a similar topic on other abridging sites as well.)

Thank you!

1) In your own words, what is "Abridging" and what does it entail?

2) What are some "essesntial" aspects of the abridging genre? What makes an "Abridged Series" a true "Abridged Series"? What do you look for and enjoy when making/watching episodes?

3) Do you think "Abridging" is, in fact, a new genre? If so, what seperates it from other genres? If it is not, why?

4) How do you feel about the copyright "issues" associated with abridging? Do they have legitimacy? Should someone be allowed to use another's material without their permission and in ways never intended?

5) What about merchandising? Should an abridged series maker be able to make money off of products that bear the likeness of characters they do not own?

Anyway, thank you all for your input and I hope you have a great day!