View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009
The worst kind of worst kind

Marshmallow
Default 1/17 Forum Migration

Everyone, we are losing our main server, Thelema. Without Revver paying is regularly we cannot afford Thelema's rental costs. Thelema barely runs the site and including the forums due to the inefficiencies in the site(As you can tell every time that there's a BAR race), and our second, less powerful, server Hastur will not be able to run it. This past week we had to accept the reality of the situation and come to a decision on the future of the site.

When faced with the death of the site we came up with a plan that should hopefully allow us to keep the site up, and still have a forum for the community. The main page and episodes page(these two pages get most of our 'hits') will be hosted on Hastur, and I've offered up my own personal server to host the forums (the forums are the most database intensive part of the site). Splitting up the load should help us deal with the fact that we are going to be using less 'powerful' servers, and everything will still be under the same url.

However, my server is no where near as 'powerful' as Thelema, and it will not be able to run the old forum software even with the load split up. I have migrated the forums to different software which will allow it to run more efficiently. But, given the very short notice we have before we lose Thelema, the look and feel of the forums will be VERY DIFFERENT until we are able to customize it. And it may run kinda rocky for a while, until we are able to properly optimize the server and the software.

What does this mean? DON'T PANIC. I have moved over as much data as possible to the new system. Most of your posts should be here on the new forums. The new forum software has blog functionality, but BLOGS ARE TEMPORARILY DISABLED.

On these new forums we need you to go into your account settings and enter in your birth date. This is to make the site compliant with US law. We are required by law to ask your birth date, and if you are under 13 get approval from your parents for you to participate on this site. Those who do not enter in their birth date will be restricted from the forums until they do so.

In summation: Forums drastically changed, don't panic, in time we hope to make the new software look as much like our current site as possible. It was either make this change or shut down the site.