This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: feminism your view
we do not need to be feminist, the world is equal 11 36.67%
call me whatever you like, its just a word and i am proud of who i am 6 20.00%
feminism is stupid 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2009

Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan

you want it to be but its not and i admit the poll was a silly idea but then again your view on feminism is stereotypical as not all women who believe in equal rights are those types of women that you describe
Old 05-10-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisetofan View Post
you want it to be but its not and i admit the poll was a silly idea but then again your view on feminism is stereotypical as not all women who believe in equal rights are those types of women that you describe
Every self-proclaimed feminist I've met fits the stereotypical feminist.
Old 05-10-2009
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodynamic View Post
Trying to cover things up now that I've exposed you as a tool?
She was being sarcastic.
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
Every self-proclaimed feminist I've met fits the stereotypical feminist.
in your country yes
"dang you are such a hoot thats what you are"
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
k well anyway i have moved on from that conversation
How come you feel it's okay to call other people ignorant but say ignorant things yourself without taking responsibility for them? You seem to have a preconceived notion of American men being sexist more than other men which doesn't seem fair.
Old 05-10-2009
Banned

Irrelevant. :V

Last edited by darkarcher; 05-10-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartRyou View Post
How come you feel it's okay to call other people ignorant but say ignorant things yourself without taking responsibility for them? You seem to have a preconceived notion of American men being sexist more than other men which doesn't seem fair.
yeah i do and if aerodynamic is anything to go by i am sorry but i wont be changing my mind soon, and i do not think all american men are sexist but when someone posts a statement like "women's brains are smaller than mens" its makes me think even though i posted about the higher percentages of women graduates than men today

and to answer that post above me
Quote:
Other research suggests that on average the female brain more efficient on some skills, while the male brain executes other tasks at a higher level. It is logical that the brains vary between the sexes. Each sex had a specific role at the time, which has helped to ensure the survival of the human race. Cave men hunted. Cave women gathered food near the home, and care for the children. None of these show superiority, but does show that we are made differently, with different needs and different ideas. Why do we then compare for superiority, or even expect the other to be just like us? It is important to realize that men and women are made differently, for a good reason. In particular women, needs someone she can talk, share ideas and grow with. Man need to hunt, to protect, not ask for directions when they are lost, or I should say just be men.
from http://www.ibspro.net/is-it-true-wom...-than-men.html

men are no more superior just because there brains may be larger, each sex has certain skills and functions that perform better

Last edited by maisetofan; 05-10-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2009
Banned

Quote:
yeah i do and if aerodynamic is anything to go by i am sorry but i wont be changing my mind soon, and i do not think all american men are sexist but when someone posts a statement like "women's brains are smaller than mens" its makes me think even though i posted about the higher percentages of women graduates than men today
Graduating does not reflect intelligence.
Old 05-10-2009

Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?

Quote:
Graduating does not reflect intelligence.
Yup, because all middle school dropouts are geniuses.
Old 05-10-2009

LOL well put holyshadow
Old 05-10-2009

Mai, instead of looking for another source you could have read Aero's. It says in the report itself that the difference in brain size is insignificant socially.
Old 05-10-2009

so its insignificant? then why post it if he is trying to make a point?
Old 05-10-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShadow View Post
Yup, because all middle school dropouts are geniuses.
You can't drop out of middle school.

You can take nothing but a bunch of easy bullshit classes and still graduate. Hell, in high school, all that is required for graduation is four years of English, three years of math, three years of science, and two years of Spanish, and all those years can be regular leveled.

Hell, fucking Einstein was God awful in school.
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
so its insignificant? then why post it if he is trying to make a point?
He didn't read it thoroughly enough.
Old 05-10-2009

On the topic of sexism, the whole "mine's bigger than yours" is sort of a dude thing... >.>
Old 05-10-2009
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

And now the trolling has annoyed darkarcher plenty enough.
Old 05-10-2009
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartRyou View Post
On the topic of sexism, the whole "mine's bigger than yours" is sort of a dude thing... >.>
lol it's true.

On the topic of brains, I learned in my Intro to Psych class that women's brains are smaller but more compact. Size hardly makes a difference, especially considering that head sizes don't vary very significantly...
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
lSize hardly makes a difference.
Oh, REALLY?
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShadow View Post
Oh, REALLY?
This reiterates my point, the whole "mine's bigger than yours" is sort of a dude thing...
Old 05-10-2009

excellent point Jswiggz

EDIT JswiggZ he called me a stupid bitch and started disagreeing with everyone on these serious discussion threads :/

Last edited by maisetofan; 05-10-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSwiggz View Post
I was the first male (and I happen to be from US btw) to pick the feminism is stupid answer, although it really doesn't reflect my opinion about this matter 100%, probably not even close. I am absolutely, 110% for HUMAN rights, the rights that every living human being has no matter what their race, gender, intelligence, physicality, etc. I think that sexism from both sides comes from a lack of understanding of the inherent differences between males and females. In that respect, there IS an inequality between men and women, and the lack of education and understanding of those differences is reflected in a lot of the issues, statistics, and even opinions of men and women of the opposite gender in society as a whole.
Then that would make you a feminist. Honestly. That's all feminism actually is. The unfortunate part is that feminism is usually associated with women demanding more rights than they need and wanting to overthrow men and such, which is more of a sign of overly-radical feminism.

Quote:
EDIT: I forgot. I just wanted to point out that I am against the banning of Aerodynamic. Even though I admit it sort of seems like he started "falling off the deep end" with his posts, and I don't agree with most of his views, I believe he was being honest. Im sure he was banned for breaking the sites rules of conduct, but it sucks because his views in discussions such as these need to be recognized. He certainly was not spamming, or trolling, at least not in my opinion.
Well, he didn't get banned for having different views. He got banned for making personal attacks and in general being mean-spirited and disrespectful. That can get you banned no matter what your views are.
Old 05-10-2009

Blurb: No. 8014

Well I just noticed this and I would like to make a point.

Its not really Sexism thats the problem, but extremism (I had this arguement with Magick a while back... He did not agree with me :V)

I believe if you try force the views of punishable sexism or hatred to to the gender, All that and spreading steriotypes about the gender, Thats back.
But a little bit of Moderate sexism I believe would benifit the world. (I believe the same thing goes for racism actually)

Now don't flame me or insult me for this if you do not agree, But come on... If everyone was not so extremist, Whats a sexist joke? No one really would care and it would all be a good laugh but in this modern world where there are people lurking just waiting to yell at you "THATS NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT" How can we do that?
Offense is kinda a weird thing actually... As sometimes its not the people being offended that claims that its offensive...
Like me and my friends tell loads of bad jokes (Depends how ya look on it, In my logic they are OK, And also in most of my friends)

And we got onto telling Sexist jokes, And Males and females were both there, The joke was told and everyone burst out laughing at it besides one male who claimed it was "Offensive" And "Sexist" And shouldn't have been said, Although the girls were there loving it.
They proceeded to tell him to shut up and to retailiate in the best way possible, To tell a sexist male Joke.

See where I am going?
We had fun when it was casual sexism, But when the extremist started complaining about it, It all went downhill.

A little sexism can do no hamr as long as there aren't people there who will take it overboard

Now Please say your opinions on this, but do not flame my ideas, I dream of a world where extremists are abolished and common sentences and jokes like this can be said without people being offended and yelling insults at the person :P
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
MrsSally:

Okay, so change my vote then to over-radical feminism is stupid. But you know, it depends on what particular situation we are talking about.

And I know that Aero wasn't banned for his views. I just think that it sucks that he got silenced. I mean seriously, there are some people on here in my opinion who are just as mean spirited and disrespectful as he was, but what, insulting someone with sarcasm instead of just insulting them directly is okay?
Insulting ideas is okay. Insulting people is not. I use sarcasm to call peoples' ideas stupid, not to call the people themselves stupid. Ideally I shouldn't do this, but it's not breaking the rules as long as I explain myself to some extent.

Quote:
Spoofs:

There is NO benefit whatsoever from sexism or racism. Poking fun at different genders or cultures is not necessarily sexist or racist, it depends on the person telling the joke. If you are a racist and tell a racist joke, that is not a good thing, and all it does is; offend the people of whatever race was the butt of the joke, and perpetuate racist thinking for the people of the race of the joker.
If the person telling the joke is just being hateful, then it's a bit mean, but if the person is genuinely trying to make people laugh and being polite, then there shouldn't be any problem.

Extremists are why I can't say 'fuck' on television. >:V OFF WITH THEIR HEADS
Old 05-10-2009

@ Spoofs: I fully remember that argument you had with Magick. I don't think I've been in the IRC since, lol.

There are some racist/sexist jokes that are funny because, as Holy and JSwigg were saying, we tell it in a way that wasn't meant to be taken in offense. So long as people know ahead of time that you're not actually racist or sexist, the joke should be fine. I mean I laugh at women drivers jokes. It's just that people take them too seriously so they're not good jokes to tell over YouTube, for example.
Old 05-10-2009

I dislike it when people judge others by their Gender.
In Asia, (or is it only China?) they have a rule for having only 1 or 2 children. They want the family name to be passed down, so they only keep the male children.
I think that is a Stuipd reason to kill the child if it's not male. Your killing a human being over a name, a word.
Even kids sometimes be sexist too, though they don't know what it means yet --
"You can't play football with us because your a girl!" Is an example. (For those who are about to agure with me on that I'll explain - Not letting someone play football because they are a diffrent gender than you is sexist)
Those kids don't know it, though they should.
The world should share the equal "Power"
I think females can keep their last name too, I'm glad for that.
Though i'm not sure if it's true in China. (It should though)

Last edited by Kohaku; 05-10-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes.
Old 05-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
In Asia, (or is it only China?) they have a rule for having only 1 or 2 children. They want the family name to be passed down, so they only keep the male children.
I think that is a Stuipd reason to kill the child if it's not male. Your killing a human being over a name, a word.
"You can't play football with us because your a girl!" Is an example. (For those who are about to agure with me on that I'll explain - Not letting someone play football because they are a diffrent gender than you is sexist)
I don't know about China, but it's perfectly fair that girls can't play football in grade school. After all, boys can't play with dolls. :V
Old 05-10-2009

First of all, it is only China. A while ago China was having over-population issues so they instituted the rule. Of course, now they're having male over-population. Don't know what they're going to do about that. :/

And I agree that it doesn't excuse aborting female babies, but Chinese culture is very particular about heritage. To them, it isn't just a name, it's an honor to their ancestors. Again, I'm not saying that it's right, but it's not as sexist as us Western folk make it out to be.
Old 05-10-2009

yes china was extremely smart by enforcing a rule that would have all women [ who by the way are the ones able to GIVE BIRTH ] wiped out before birth not thinking of the consequences ahead, like an over populated male country with no females to produce children with ,hmmm smart move :/

i am with kohaku on this one and i think females should be able to keep their last name if they choose to, but with couples in love they generally want to make the other person happy so the man and woman will treat each other equal, well at least thats how my family runs
Old 05-10-2009
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
This is only comment going to put here, interesting read this page, but think in end both sides are as bad as other lol

However, I feel that poeple need to understand bit more about china before making this judgment and seeing as no chinese poeple to explain it, best got is me

you need to understand Chinese culture for this one, this isn't about woman being lesser (not saying isn't sexism in china as is) it is about heritage, to Chinese, the family is far more important than individual, now to us westerners, what is in name, many even change theirs, and that is my view, couldn't care less about my name, if somehow I ever did get married, I would probably take my wifes name, for hell of it

However in China, the name isn't just a way to label you, it is your identity, and symbol of your family (which is most important thing) many english born chinese, get proper chinese name as second name, the name is meant to show who they are as person (mine is Ma Li Shi lol, though I'm not actually chinese, my friends, felt it sited me) and the family Name is before individual one to show its importance

IE:- Ma=Family Li Shi=My name

Also it isn't just name itself, it is way family works where in china, the idea that the children are looked after by parents when young and then person (IE boy) taking on family name, will look after parents when their old, is very important (mainly because if they don't who will) and why'll may ask why can girl not do this, well the girl will be with her husband looking after his family, so if end up with 2 girls, the parents have no to look after them in old age

So though it is strange thing to us, to them it is central to their ideals and sadly thousands of years of social idealism breeding has had negative crash with modern law

So though it is easy to judge here, it is a very complicated area, where a culture does something so different to ours we mis understand it

Not saying all right here, just need to see it from their view,

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 05-11-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2009
*this space for rent*

I should really start reading the posts that go before me, but i think in a lot of cultures the male is given more power because it is thought that the woman has the ultimate power of "making people" [i have read some isabel allende (may have spelled her name wrong)]