This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008

Blurb: My sexual preference is often.

Quote:
I felt that Maya and Mohinder's story was quite clunky, but I could look over it.
Agreed. It seems as if the writers haphazardly threw this one together. I'm going to go out on a limb here though and suggest that they were trying to clear the leftover, uninteresting junk from season 2.
Quote:
I also would like to see Arthur use more abilitys other than electricity and telekenis (uses radioactive explosiveness).
I'd like to see Sylar use more abilities than just telekenesis.
Quote:
Knox and Flint's characters are being wasted, like the German who was just killed.
Haruhifan was talking about this and I completely agree. All previous villains are interesting. They're like the villains you'd find in a James Bond movie. They've got quirks. You find out a bit about their history, what caused them to "break" and become evil, and, foremost, they've all had a human side that we can sympathize with.

The villains now just seem sociopathic. We know very little about them. This is fine if it were a characteristic among many others but, otherwise, it's all just one-sided (i.e. See Sylar in the previous seasons, he was sociopathic but definitely not a one-sided, bland villain).

One thing I'd like to note is that, in the previous episode "Dying of the Light", I believe, Usutsu painted 4 villains which he showed to Hiro and Ando. I was able to recognize 3 of them: Arthur, Flint and Knox. I had no clue about the last one; he had a moustache. In another scene, there's another painting with this unidentified villain cutting a characters' skull open (akin to Sylar). Any ideas here?
Old 10-30-2008
Stephen

Blurb: Oh, no, no, no. I'm a rocket man!
Marshmallow

Could Sylar try and kill Arthur?
I dunno, just theories.
Quote:
Sylar use more abilities than just telekenesis
Does Sylar even use his ability from that girl in Level 5? or Jesse's sound ability?
Old 11-01-2008

Blurb: iRant...

Maybe both. Can he do that?
Old 11-11-2008

Blurb: Gyabo!

I think Overmind the fourth might be Linderman but that's a guess from your description and the recent episode. The skull cutting one is either Sylar or Peter who now gained the "hunger" from the future Sylar. Yeah, getting a bit convoluted but let's go over the recent episode.

[ SEASON 3: EPISODE 8 “Villains” Review

I got to say even with the different opening (Using a red Earth with the Double Helix insignia on it and calling the show’s Episode 8 “Villains”; though I was sort of thinking, so THAT why the last while we’re having such odd and not as intriguing episodes, it’s the VILLAINOUS Jeph Loeb writing them all!) a flashback episode was needed to sort all these new revelations and in some cases, new characters (I was still trying to sort out Villains like fire throwing Flint, whom we found out is Meredith’s brother).

For the GOOD of this, not sure if it was just I but I liked going back to Season One even for a flashback, when things moved smoothly and we were just getting to know the great cast. Having Eric Roberts back as Thompson, remember, he ran the Company too back then (along with mention of our Invisible Man Claude, I miss him). If you’re going to focus heavily on the Petrallis, it’s also best to have some explanation finally to why this is the case, and hey, we get more Malcolm McDowell as Linderman with that kick butt accent and calm delivery for a good drama…oh the healing power finally used helped too. Having the inner conflict and eventual murder of Arthur by Angela (with the Haitian’s help to keep Arthur from using his powers) at least now gives us a nice view of how messed up the family is and why they are villains, even if Angela started good. At least we also got the explanation why Arthur wasn’t dead but was pretty messed up thanks to Angela’s “special soup”.

Like Sylar, I seem to like villainous agent Bennet a bit more than the current version. Using Hiro as our spirit dream vessel was fun and very well done, similar to when he’d time travel to show us glimpses of the show and where it will be heading to, or why we’re at a junction. We only added one new character in Trevor off of Sylar’s list of powered people to chase. I will say his power was cool to “air shoot” things with telepathy or wind I think. Of course no one upstages Gabriel/Sylar! Well another power for Sylar, though like many said, we really need to see Sylar use some of these powers he’s yet to use past the telekinesis he uses a lot. Like it’s been noted, this was a better episode to show he’s not a one-dimensional villain, and this is why we consider him the best of the bunch.

For the BAD, as it wasn’t perfect with Elle trying to be the competent agent convincing Sylar he’s worth keeping alive (and offering PIE?!) with an odd relationship/mission from Bennet. As I said too, not sure if I like Flint at all as some redneck brother who gets convinced his capture will lead to being a Company agent. It was odd to see at this point in the past Angela being a good person to protect her family from Arthur Petralli but I guess if you give him that he has mind controlling powers (odd since I have read the past graphic novels and there was suggestion he was not super-powered so I’m wondering if he tested the fake power injections himself; also it seems like the Haitian’s ability except Linderman said her memories get scarred each time he uses them unlike the Haitian).

I will miss the one new character Usulu the painter, just shows painting the future equals your demise on this show. Now don’t DIE HIRO TO ARTHUR!
]

I got little to say bad, hoping going back to what worked will help right the ship and give us hope and some of the Heroes show we’ve grown to love.
Old 11-11-2008
Stephen

Marshmallow

I liked this episode. Good acting, nice drama, loved the train scene.
Nice to see the Company do their job. [ Although they let Sylar on the loose, not even bothering to chase him ]
[ How did Arthur get to Africa? Did he use powers he stole from Peter? ]
No appearances of Matt, Knox, or Daphne. Which is good. This episode was basicallly a Petrelli/ Company episode.
I predict:
[ Sylar meets Elle again
Nathan falls under Arthur's influence
Meredith fights Flint (cause that would be awesome!)
Huge battle at Primatech
]

Also, How will [ Hiro and Ando escape Arthur's attack, I mean they'll probably do the most obvious thing and teleport away ]
Old 11-18-2008

SEASON 3: Episode 9 – “It’s Coming”
[

The Bad: Flipping the order since I’d rather end on positives as it seems there are more of late than cons. So Sylar has empathy and if that’s gone he’s cured of his hunger? For anyone who reads History’s Strongest Disciple Kenichi it sure sounds a lot like the dividing ideals of the 2 martial arts groups between care and cold hearted fighting. I still keep worrying they want to make Sylar like Zuko in Avatar: The Last Airbender and that anti-hero mentality won’t always work for all villains. Sometimes it’s best to simply be bad so we got a good opponent for the Heroes but maybe that’s just me. Again like aforementioned the whole science explanation is a bit overused of late, a bit of that Star Wars Episode 1-3 feeling. Also is it me or does knowing Claire and Peter date in real life off the set hurt the show at all like when Peter wants to protect her now from harm and the bleak future killing? Other stories so far at the moment (Matt/Daphne, Sylar/Elle, Mohinder) are not really bad, just sort of moving along with not a lot of pop to them, I guess as smaller cogs to the whole Petralli plot as noted in the past.

The Good: Mmm waffles…I mean it’s good that Hiro LIVED but not sure what power of mind manipulation Arthur used (guess he used some of Peter’s power to at least get to Africa since he did send Hiro there and knew where they were) but the mind manipulation that Hiro is 10 is neat instead of the usual amnesia gimmick. Also liked the intro using the reference to the eclipse like in season one (but I miss the song Eyes by Rogue Wave that somehow also didn’t make the soundtrack for season one) to explain the unknown phenomenon of super powers rather than all the scientific talk of late. Slight hints using paintings is back and that’s a good thing. By the way is Usulu dead or is he similar to Hana now, living on another plain than the living, like a spirit world walker? As I kept watching I LOVED 10 year old mind Hiro! It’s like him relearning his powers all over again AND being like how we were as kids (or are pending whoever is reading this) and going nuts if we had powers. I loved how he did pranks, then got the teleportation going by visiting a comic store in Japan (another thing on my own to do list someday is visit Japan.) THAT is the charm missing of late! I will give we’re at least more clear on Claire’s situation aiding Peter and the whole Arthur plot. I’m not totally sold on the Elle/Sylar new coupling but I do like him learning to use her powers without killing her if you are going to give him good and bad sides to himself. Tracy now trying to play all sides is intriguing, a bit back to the old NIki/Jessica complexity. Matt’s mental world trips, this time to help Angela, sure get spookier each time, even if the betrayal stuff is still pretty convoluted, along with comparing the odd Daphne/Matt relationship to the Petrallis. Yes, about as confusing if someone in a comic store suddenly saw Captain America is dead, Spider-Man revealed his identity and Hulk is now RED, as Hiro noted poking back at Marvel Comics. Loved how we got a comic book warning us once more of the future. So now the Heroes got to find the hidden third part of the formula Arthur stole, and lo and behold we’re going back to what worked: “Save the cheerleader, save the world.” A good cliffhanger we can all look forward to, but the preview I saw seems to AGAIN borrow from Avatar that the eclipse will CANCEL out abilities. I love Avatar too so we shall see what that will bring!

]
Old 11-18-2008
Stephen

Marshmallow

Here is my Bad rant: [ I don't really think of the actors when watching Heroes (lol, Sylar is Spock) but I can see how it would look like Claire and Peter are having a romantic relationship. I probably didn't notice cause I lost interest in Claire in the start of the episode. Peter returning to save Claire was probably the thing that saved the future. If he had left Claire, she''d be in Pinehearst hands and become a killer. Speaking of Pinehearst, come on! I'd say that they should have sent better henchmen after Claire, but Arthur appears to only have 4 villains at the time (not really an "army of bad guys"). And what happened to Primatech? Where is all the agents? In the webcomics they practically had armys of agents in the company (also, why do so many agents have to die in these web comics?). Anyways, no sign of Meredith or Mr. Bennet, but if you read the latest webcomic you'd find that their partnership was pretty useless. I found Matt and Daphne's love pretty borring and generic, nothing special, but I don''t have a problem with that. I was annoyed at first by, oh look, Hiro is now 10 years old! Arthur kills Utsu a guy who see's the past and future, but simply erases the memory of a guy who can go to the past and future! ]

As for the Good: [ Peter used his wits to escape Knox and Flint. Yay. Sylar befriends Elle. Although I couldn't help but think of the many Sylar fangirls to love see him take off his burned shirt. But thats fine, If it weren't NBC, the writers would probably have Sylar's pants burn off as well so he'd look like the Hulk. I liked how Sylar and Elle's relationship went through. I'm satisfied with how it went, seeing that there are ways they could have screwed it up. I loved the Angela dream sequence thing. The directing was excellent, it felt like a real dream with Matt skipping from one spot to another. And I liked Cristine Rose's acting in the episode. It was nice to see Arthur release Angela out of guilt, but it will lead to one of their demises (or both?). Claire being the Catalyst was interesting, although I didn't completely understand how it works. ]

Final Notes:
[ Elle! You saw Peter lose his power and nearly killed! You were chained up! And now your going to work for the guys who did this? I know she lost her pain due to Sylar, but that dosen't mean she should join them. Although, she may be doing this out of fear or something. I dunno :P ]

[ Hiro! Stop being 10! Its funny at first, but your pretty useless without your memories. Perhaps Hiro will do that thing Peter did when he lost his memories in season 2. ]

[ The two groups at the end was a generic way to close the episode, but they did it well. Although couldn't they have said something cooler than "its coming"? It sounds like something you'd hear from a suspense movie. ]

[ Preview looks cool. I didn't notice the Avatar comparisons until now, but it does seem interesting. And if you check the episode list, there is a 2-parter called "The Eclipse, Part 1 & 2" which is very reminiscent of Avatar's "Day of Black Sun, Part 1& 2" With everybody powerless all the cards are down. It looks like somebody shoots Claire, how predictable. The preview didn't excite me, but the idea of no more Heroes during the eclipse is quite interesting. ]
Old 11-18-2008

Blurb: My sexual preference is often.

My only comment is that I was quite curious to find out who the lucky candidate bearing Sylar's child was since the episode where Peter visited the future. This episode allowed me to reach a conclusion. (I swear you could cut the sexual tension between Sylar and Elle in this episode with a knife ... Did anyone else find it creepy that Arthur was watching them ... ).

Otherwise, a pretty good episode despite ... Hiro being able to escape from Arthur the way he did (It seemed like a plot kludge).
Old 11-25-2008

HAPPY TURKEY DAY for all those celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend in the US! By the way looking at the TV Schedule, there are episode on December 1 (The Eclipse: Part 2), 8 (Our Father) and 15th (Duality) before a Christmas break.

SEASON 3: Episode 10 – The Eclipse: Part 1

[
SEASON 3: Episode 10 – The Eclipse: Part 1

The Bad: Mohinder with Lizard complex isn’t too interesting and his complaining about it doesn’t help. And EWW with the whole cocoon thing like the flies; doesn’t he know he’s not Jeff Goldblum?! Daphne needs to get over being afraid of power steal Arthur too as Matt put it. Their pairing just seems awkward to me still, as is the one with Elle and Sylar at times. I thought Tim Krieg said he was staying away from too much romance for his shows? You’d think that Nathan would be smarter too NOT to fly during the eclipse? Thank goodness for that convenient lake! Well I guess no one knew about the eclipse stopping powers it seems as the episode went along. It was a little odd too for the Petrallis falling into a war with the Haitian’s brother who were warned by Arthur?

The Good: It really is borrowing from Avatar and the War with an eclipse coming. Sylar is Zuko trying to prove himself in face of a father villain in Arthur (who like Azula goes a bit insane I think). Elle is like Mai who loves him and is having a hard time choosing sides (though has Azula’s powers). Claire is a bit like Katara in personality (though more important as her death if it comes true due to the eclipse as Arthur’s drawing suggested) while Peter serves as the almighty Avatar Aang. Hiro is your funny hero Sokka, strong Toph is a bit like Tracy…OK so it’s tough to be exactly like another show. At least they chose a good one to mimic.

Pairing Claire and Noah again seemed alright, though this tough love teaching Meredith tried doesn’t seem the best way to go to train her. I did have a laugh with Matt reading Hiro’s mind and it’s in Japanese (he needs subtitles!), then later on trying the Jedi mind trick on Daphne’s dad. We need more evil Sylar back! Wow and how many sides Is Tracy on now? I guess she is fooling Arthur to aid Angela for now. The Petralli brothers’ time was interesting. “I’m a US Senator, you’re a nurse.” That alone was priceless. The variation on people losing powers was interesting, though normal fighting between the Bennets and Elle/Sylar was different and nicely done in slow motion with the eerie music. I really felt for Claire apologizing to her dad now feeling pain again from the gunshot wound about wanting to jump into these crime cases.

Oh and I know not everyone likes kid minded Hiro but come on, the moment to test Matt in saving Daphne without powers made for one hilarious moment with Ando narrating: “you must not doubt your mission, the corn will keep on coming (Hiro chucking corn until Matt caught one).” It’s the Hero’s Quest is on! OH and Seth Green and Brecken Meyer (from Robot Chicken!) being the comic book store owners, THAT made my night! Good to have more good than bad of late! Yay!
Preview shows as Noah prepares to snipe Sylar for revenge and Peter going in kamikaze again like he does. We shall see what Part 2 brings, take care!

]
Old 11-25-2008
Stephen

Marshmallow

I agree...
Yes with that whole post. My thoughts exactly!
Old 12-02-2008

Blurb: I got face to personaly mess with me

So when is this taking place because Marvel had already reconed the whole spidey unmaskes thing by the time Red hulk came out. Or it's a built in ad because Jeph Loeb the writter on the book.
Old 12-16-2008

OK been a bit since I reviewed Heroes but this was due to me, being as lost without glasses like Noah Bennet, waiting until I got my new pair to continue so just caught up on 3 hours worth of episodes. Will keep this as short as possible but wanted to share some thoughts on all 3 episodes, and what’s to come.

At Wiki List of Heroes Episodes you can see the list of episodes so far. It says there are some webisodes that showed but they’re like side stories so catch up on them like the Graphic Novels as you wish but it won’t hinder but enhance the whole Heroes world story. Also looks like NBC is taking some time away and will return with Heroes at its normal Monday slot on FEBRUARY 2nd so this will be some time off and see how things go I guess.

[ THE GOOD: Episodes 11-13 - The Eclipse: Part 2, Our Father and Dual

-Ratings show it too and the second part of the Eclipse episode was the best of the bunch and I wish it stayed on that path. I loved using Seth Green these episodes to give a bit of nerd acknowledgement to the show again (not sure where the DC/Marvel comic timelines this is done but the general comic book store jokes were fun!), a part of the insider’s love for it. I loved some old reverting of Bennet to the badass killer chasing the now powerless Sylar and Elle, even using cutters to off Sylar for the moment! Mohinder showed a bit of backbone too against Flint instead of being a tool of late (though he came back later on). These are old reliable things to fall back on for success and interest!

-Adding the Haitian’s brother for a mere episode worked as a Villain that was real yet powerful. Go Haitian on beating him!

-Nice irony saying Daphne has Cerebrals Palsy until she got her powers. The Matt love interest is still weak I find but there are some good things from adding her to the show. She shines when given the time and proper direction.

-WOW they reminded us via the Comic Book guys how it took this long for Claire and Hiro to share a scene talking (even if at first they couldn’t understand each other)! Returning to the past was a good scene if a bit eerie when they met their past selves. I will wuss out a bit and say I DID cry when Hiro met his mom finally and then she passes her language and the catalyst to him while healing his mind to return his memories, but in exchange for her life. THAT WAS SO SAD!

-Did I mention I love old killer Sylar back? Getting by luck the lie detector power from Sue was a bit much but WORTH IT for his killing spree on her birthday no less! Then killing all the workers celebrating; NOW THAT’S EVIL! Cake anyone, it’s not a lie.

-This episode was saved not by wrapping up the serum story, but by the return of Evil Sylar in a horror film like meeting. From killing the criminals to the guards to trapping the Bennets and Meredith inside was great! I was freaked each time and putting Meredith in peril with the adrenaline with a locked up Noah was GENIUS! It’s too bad Sylar could be toast for now as is Meredith when she blew up, but again both might have survived, Sylar likely did but this is a good out if needed for the new Star Trek movie promotion time. The tease Angela knew who Sylar’s parents really are (not the mom he killed) helps for the future to keep him where he should be: Evil. Claire being the one to save the day was OK too.

THE BAD: Episodes 11-13 - The Eclipse: Part 2, Our Father and Dual

-How does a simple NURSE call the police due to Claire’s wounds, and once she’s dead until the predictable eclipse gave her powers back, are the parents then off the hook?!

-When did Nathan learn French?! I did like the Baron Samedi joke given to the Haitian’s brother afterwards at least but still a bit sudden!

-Too bad all that buildup to loving Elle meant she was dead in the end. Only good thing: her sacrifice brought old killer Sylar back!

-Bad flip flopping comes with Nathan. So now he returns to the great Evil Arthur after seeing what the Haitian’s brother did, WHAT?! This is where things went South after such a good 2 part episode. The whole super soldier idea was OK but then you had Knox kill the Southerner with one more?! Almost thankful Tracy kills him off by freezing him and ridding us of another weak villain. The BIG issue I had with Our Father was once again Arthur. Claire and Hiro go through emotional stuff with their past and stopping the Catalyst falling into the Company’s hands…and as a deux ex machine moment ARTHUR APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE?! Then he took the Catalyst and Hiro’s powers, almost killing him and sending Claire back to Angela to gloat?! That’s not villainy, that’s called a rush job!

-Also was mixed on how they then off this great villain in Arthur with Peter trying, but Sylar doing it in the end. And I know they tried to convey that Arthur was so strong the Haitian could only focus on shutting his powers down, but how come Sylar was not affected AT ALL when any other time, the Haitian shuts down multiple powers at once?! The good was we got rid of the worst villain IMHO in Arthur, good riddance. He and those flip flopping villains turning on him (Knox and Flint) both needed to be gone, with Knox frozen to death and Flint blowing up (though somehow Mohinder and Tracy survive the blast so he might return but I’d rather not see him again…). We also got rid of the Puppet master and the other lame Level 5 villains.

-OK is there ANY humans left now?! So Hiro loses his powers forever it seems and Ando GAINS them due to the serum? And his power is to enhance other powers? OK made sense to get Hiro back but seems lame. Oh and notice how only Claire noted Hiro suddenly knew English but the others thought nothing of it?! OK instant language learning was not a power!
Ending leading to Season 4: Fugitives

-Peter used the formula to get his powers back seems as Nathan put it the total opposite of his goals but I figure we want to see Peter powerful. No word for now how they solve Hiro without powers now as I hope he doesn’t lose his charm due to this.
-Mohinder healing due to the formula falling on him during the scuffle and joining Tracy was a sign of the 2 most disappointing returning characters joining together, hopefully to find again what made them cool…

-We got a glimpse of Season 4 where Michael Dorn (Worf on Star Trek the Next Generation) is the president (reflecting Obama since he too is Black?) approving Nathan’s plan to make a jail similar to Genosha from the X-men comics to lock up dangerous powered people like (via the files he had) Tracy, Micah (Man notice since they were trying for a darker season all the kids were off this one, so I guess they will return now), Hiro, Mohinder and Matt. So Nathan being the new “Villain”, we shall see how this goes as he now has the President’s help to hunt them down, again like the old X-men plot. Wonder if they can get Tommy Lee Jones in to chase the fugitives?
]

Well another season done and tried this review idea. I’ll re-evaluate too if I continue it as I got mixed reviews for them as recaps or as review talk. Thanks to those who read and even those who criticized me, I’m taking my time to relook at myself too as a writer. 2 months from now will give some time off and maybe change, so either way, take care Heroes viewers!